Novotus

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

Novotus CEO Mike Mayeux
Mike Mayeux

Small Company with Big Ambitions that Live up to their Goals!

Former Employee - Recruiting Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiting Team Lead in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Novotus overall is a structured environment that will mold you into a strategic thinker and deliverer. Training at Novotus is very unique and you will gain experience there that will set you apart from any future co-workers. There is great opportunity at Novotus if you go there willing to learn and grow. Leadership takes pride in "growing their own" and truly celebrates their Recruiters. Leadership will not only talk the talk but walk the walk. They put their employees above themselves and will show you by working to elevate your career and serve you in any way they can. Literally they will serve you your Thanksgiving meals provided at the office and deliver your Friday morning breakfast just to be sure they thank you for your hard work. This company has a heart and that is so rare to find today.

Cons

Metrics can sometimes trip up delivery. The focus of delivery sometimes will be on numbers vs quality and relationship to the customer.

Keep the main thing the main thing ;) The foundation in which Novotus was built on is why it is successful and wonderful today. Never lose sight of the real reason we all love this job.

Much different than it once was!

Former Employee - Grunt in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Grunt in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members (most of which are looking), a select few managers, tools, the recruiting model (in theory). Good place to learn if you are a very junior recruiter.

Cons

Management, pay, career advancement, communication - all of which of course leads to the the very high rate of turnover the company continues to experience.

To the management team who will inevitably read this and try to ascertain who wrote it...stop. If you care so much about your reputation, fix what is broken. Try digging in to find out why the turnover rate is so excessive. Actually listen to your employees and recognize the fact that there may indeed be a management issue. I know that's shocking to hear this but there are a few people at Novotus who have no business whatsoever managing employees, especially when they have no clue how to communicate or have zero knowledge of the industry that their clients are in. Look for ways to help recruiters focus on being efficient versus bogging them down with numerous clients, numerous status calls and numerous scorecards. Those are things that a manager or lead should be responsible for. Like most other reviews here, the constant patting on the back amongst the "leadership" team is laughable but that obviously won't change anytime soon. Best of luck to you Novotus, you are definitely going to need some of that moving forward.

Review and perspective

I worked at Novotus

Pros

Peer recruiters make the days palatable and they try to help each other when challenging work is overwhelming, nice work accommodations, good for entry level roles only, occasional food and after work gathering, decent set of tools to use

Cons

Internally different teams and manager styles cause employees to desire switching groups, very demanding on numbers at all costs & metrics micromanaged, narcissistic leadership style puts fear on employees each quarter review, there is inconsistent measurement between groups and confusion on what defines good performance, executives continue to promote themselves and CEO likes to thank the same leadership "insiders" over and over

Poor trust factor with current leadership team, at times its a love-fest between them, what is publicly said is different behind closed doors

Fantastic Work Environment

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Novotus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Novotus is a highly engaged employer, providing unlimited resources and tools for Recruiters. I have compared my "education" with Novotus, as equal to my college experience, as training and leveraging talent, is very valued here. The opportunity to work across multiple accounts, and learn from failures as well as successes, in a truly positive environment is priceless. The culture is phenomenal; from the monthly breakfasts (where not only are you given breakfast, but sometimes gift cards and more, all SERVED to you by your Senior Leadership Team), to the holiday parties, and having team mates, not just management, review your work, is priceless, as sometimes management is just not there on a day to day basis to make that call. The Senior Leadership Team at Novotus is outstanding, and truly people you can trust and count on to have an open door policy, and are trustworthy, with even very sensitive information. This is a company FULL of good people, who work hard, and play hard! I am by no means a manager at Novotus, and want to add that you cannot judge a Glassdoor review by ex-employees, who may have left under less than perfect conditions. What I want to emphasize, is that "not every job is a good job, but THIS is a GREAT job", if you are willing to put in the work and passion for what you do. I have been here for 4+ years, and still highly recommend Novotus, to anyone, who is willing to work hard, and play hard! Work-life balance here is INCREDIBLE, they encourage you to take care of not only yourself, but your family.

Cons

Sometimes communication brought down the "chain of command", can feel uncomfortable here, but it is only because we are small in size, not small in morals.

I don't offer advice to management, I offer praise. With a company our size, you cannot always control rumors or gossip, but you do a great job of making us all feel valued!

Opportunity is what you make of it

I have been working at Novotus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment is engaging, tools and processes are innovative and effective, plenty of challenge. The company is centered around customer service and the bottom-line is delivery. If you manage your time and work hard, there is opportunity to work on different accounts and get exposure to new things as well as the potential for promotion. Culture is fun, open, and hard working. We just won an award for top RPO so I feel we are in the right direction.

Cons

Although the company is growing, there is limited chance to be promoted into management. Sometimes things can be a little political. Although we all have metrics to hit, workload can get tough.

Benefits could be better, continue to foster the culture and do what you can to get the folks that are working hard and developing, more opportunities.

Stressful Work Environment full of Micro-Managers with very HIGH turnover

Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They only pros happen until you figure out no one on the management team is very nice. They seem great at first, but then when the masks come off you really see the ugliness. They really try to dress up the culture and it is truly putting lipstick on a pig.

Cons

No one is treated the same. There are many, many VP's and Directors. The same people get promoted over and over and over again. There is no room for advancement unless you happen to be one of these constantly promoted micro-managing, two-faced, backstabbing "executives". Another added bonus is you get to work with the owner's children. And when you finally do decide Novotus is not the place for you and move on, you are harassed about a non-compete. Really? It would be nice if we could just move on and not be threatened because we find better paying jobs with companies who are not run by narcissists.

Making people afraid is NOT management. Stop threatening ex employees with your stupid non-compete. We just want to peacefully move along.

Difficult Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people who work very hard. Good customers, valuable recruiting processes to learn from.

Cons

This company thrives on gossip, negativity, low pay, no HR representation and a poorly designed bonus program. The Senior Leadership is a major problem here, they choose favorites and operate on gossip ,secrets and manipulation. You will not move up here, the leadership teams only promotes themselves; so much it is now comical. The bonus structure is poorly designed and is ever changing to benefit their financial needs not the employees. Many senior people have left recently and they do not seem to grasp the turnover here is a problem! It is not the nature of the business, it is this company. People are leaving for more money, less drama and better benefits. There is no human resource department here, the employees have NO REPRESENTATION. The senior leadership team runs this company and there are no checks and balances. This is an issue. The drama is a problem, the leadership team is a problem. They will overwork you and you will not be compensated fairly. Metrics here are out of control and it is almost impossible to meet them and those who do are so stressed it takes a physical toll. If you notice if there is a negative review, a positive review will quickly be added, seems fishy to me.

Grow up, pay your people what they are worth. Stop with the secrets and gossip; gain control of yourselves; you are the problem, not the staff. This place has a bad reputation for a reason and you are it. It is sad because there are good employees here.

All the high ratings on here are from the management team

Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The People that they hire are great and really fit into the culture. They allow a work from home day (but that is only for certain groups, not everyone is allowed to work from home) They will buy lunch or breakfast and they do like to have party's where the management team can continually pat each other on the back and give each other raises and promotions.

Cons

They do NOT know how to treat senior people. They have such stringent metrics that it is difficult to achieve 100%, they change the bonus structure every quarter so you can not count on anything and when they talk about giving you an increase it could take over a year before they give it to you (of course if they decide they don't like you then they will remove it completely from the table. The managers that they hire are just puppets to the Senior Leadership team. There is a divide between "management" and the "workers"

Fire yourselves and get all new management- OR learn what a leader really is...

Company for top performing recruiters.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company understands the hard work that goes into what we do. Performers are rewarded with flexible schedules and advancement opportunities. I value the fact I get to work side by side and learn from such a great group of various industry ROCK-STAR recruiters. We are given all the latest and greatest tools to do our job even better and it is up to us to capitalize on that. I appreciate not having a calendar filled with training modules, and knowing that we have a company full of subject matter experts that we can consult with on our own time.

Cons

As we are a rapidly growing company, we could get better at communicating the changes and adjustments involved with that across the teams.

Help come up with better ways to collect information from clients that’s consistent across the board.

Love this company, culture and people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every company has their pros and cons, but this was the first time I worked for a company that would actually consider the impact of their employees while making business decisions. Business is important, but it didn't always come as the ONLY priority. From the pizza cook offs and team costume contests to the random parking lot BBQ's just to say "Thank you"... Novotus had a unique way of showing they wanted us to succeed but have fun while doing it!

Cons

As they scale up, it can be difficult to keep the culture you had when you were 20 people, after you have grown to 100 people. But any company that truly wants to grow will ask their employees the tuff questions. They will learn from them and make adjustments. If you don't, it will hurt you in the end. (Something I learned while working for the #1 employer in the world, which I couldn't have gotten here without my leadership at Novotus.)

Treat each employee as if they are equally valuable while motivating them to get to the top. "Politics" will kill your culture.

Novotus Photos