Novotus Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

Novotus CEO Mike Mayeux
Mike Mayeux

Love this company, culture and people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every company has their pros and cons, but this was the first time I worked for a company that would actually consider the impact of their employees while making business decisions. Business is important, but it didn't always come as the ONLY priority. From the pizza cook offs and team costume contests to the random parking lot BBQ's just to say "Thank you"... Novotus had a unique way of showing they wanted us to succeed but have fun while doing it!

Cons

As they scale up, it can be difficult to keep the culture you had when you were 20 people, after you have grown to 100 people. But any company that truly wants to grow will ask their employees the tuff questions. They will learn from them and make adjustments. If you don't, it will hurt you in the end. (Something I learned while working for the #1 employer in the world, which I couldn't have gotten here without my leadership at Novotus.)

Treat each employee as if they are equally valuable while motivating them to get to the top. "Politics" will kill your culture.

Great place to work, with an awesome family atmosphere. Innovative, passionate about pleasing customers/clients

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Novotus arms their recruiters with all the tools necessary to be successful. From weekly sourcing meetings, lunch and learns, and "novelopment", any recruiter (no matter what level) can gain further insight into the world of recruiting and can become a better recruiter. The associate recruiter program is a great way for non-experienced recruiters to get their feet wet and gain experience in recruiting, sourcing, client management etc. They have team building exercises (like pizza making contests) throughout the year that promote team building and cross pollination between teams. Flex hours, ping pong table, t.v's and Myu's bbq are some other factors that make Novotus one of the best places to work for in Austin.

Cons

The cons of Novotus are minimal at best. Every company out there is going to have challenges. Novotus does a tremendous job of identifying challenges they are facing and correcting them quickly.

Keep the main thing, the main thing! Senior leadership is a huge part of what makes Novotus an amazing place to work for. They instill company values in their employees that are not just good for work, but can translate very well into everyday life.

Awesome company focused on helping people work!

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great management with a strong vision.

Cons

Recruiting is cyclical which can cause a layoff. But if you are committed to being a recruiter, this is a great place to start.

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ideal Recruiting Environment for Growth and Development

I have been working at Novotus

Pros

Novotus provides a highly unique recruiting environment - the perfect mix/blend of corporate recruiting and agency recruiting. You can't get this many places. We develop deep partnerships with our clients and truly feel like 'one of them.' We have the best recruiting tools on the market. We get access to many shared services, from administrative, to sourcing, to marketing - making our lives easier. Granted, the positions we recruit are tough to fill, but the company does a great job providing as many resources as possible to help you.

Novotus is growing, which is creating change and opportunities. New positions and opportunities are being created regularly. Those who want opportunity seize it and advance. Those who don't get looked over and don't advance. It's in your hands to move your career at Novotus - gaining knowledge and experience, receiving promotions, raises, etc. If you work hard, show your value, perform, and stand out, you'll advance.

Cons

Lots of technology to digest - can get overwhelmed. Growing quickly which creates some ambiguity. Tight labor market creates high expectations from clients - managing expectations can be difficult.

Better understand the challenges and account-abilities placed on employees. Create incentive programs to help retain and attract top talent. Continue to evolve the culture.

Company for top performing recruiters.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company understands the hard work that goes into what we do. Performers are rewarded with flexible schedules and advancement opportunities. I value the fact I get to work side by side and learn from such a great group of various industry ROCK-STAR recruiters. We are given all the latest and greatest tools to do our job even better and it is up to us to capitalize on that. I appreciate not having a calendar filled with training modules, and knowing that we have a company full of subject matter experts that we can consult with on our own time.

Cons

As we are a rapidly growing company, we could get better at communicating the changes and adjustments involved with that across the teams.

Help come up with better ways to collect information from clients that’s consistent across the board.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The leadership in the organization is outstanding and they truly care for their employees. To work here you must have the ability to understand what is to work in an environment of growth and change. Growth and change can both be painful, and is not always pretty. Novotus is changing and I truly believe they have a great future!

Cons

For me, It is difficult to have a work/ life balance AND be successful in this job. It is very hard work and you must understand you will be facing many diverse clients. With the changes happening, I truly believe this will improve over time.

Keep the culture positive and keep hiring positive leaders!

Awesome Culture and Professional Growth at the Price of Compensation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company characterized by cooperation, helping each other grow professionally, great values and culture, an just good people.

Cons

The compensation isn't competitive and is rather stagnant compared to the rest of the industry. There are also no annual merit pay increases. There are quarterly bonuses which are nice but are modest in size.

Being a talent acquisition firm the company places a huge emphasis on extraverted qualities to the detriment of more introverted individuals who do not fit the extrovert ideal. They're trying to better understand individual strengths but have a long way to go.

Work to make your compensation program more competitive, especially for junior employees, and seek to better leverage the strengths and unique differences of your employees.

Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to learn the ropes in recruiting, fast paced, and nice managers. You are trained well on the ATS that are used, and there is a lot of collaborative team work. They have brown bag training sessions, which are valuable.

Cons

Once the larger projects commence, there is little opportunity to secure FT position if you are a contract worker.

Incredible Place for Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at Novotus

Pros

You control your career - Perform and you will be rewarded. Be a top performer and you will be recognized. Great learning environment for junior and senior recruiters. Family atmosphere. Open dialogue from senior management about growth, challenges, etc. Decisive Executive team that, while they have made some hiring mistakes, dust themselves off quickly, learn and move on. Awesome mentorship. Management that truly cares about you, personally and professionally. True friendships within the company. You are in an industry that is going through hyper growth and Novotus is riding the forefront of that wave. The biggest positive of working at Novotus (at least as a recruiter) is that you get exposed to so many different accounts within various industry verticals, skill-sets, sizes - You will learn so much and be able to tackle anything. The agency environment is tough, but Novotus has built an amazing company with opportunities you will not find at any other company around. Embrace the opportunities, don't complain - just worry about performing, and making the most of the opportunity you have and good things will happen.

Cons

Ceiling on career growth. I felt like it used top be a place where if you were a top performer, they'd "take a risk" on you and throw new challenges/opportunities your way. Towards the end of my employment, I felt that there was a larger stranglehold on who "owned" certain functions and employees weren't given the opportunity to rise up, and be set free to embrace new opportunities..(maybe even ones they didn't realize they'd be good at). When I joined, Novotus was a place where a fresh out grad could become a senior recruiter in 3 months, owning accounts and owning recruiting for entire RPO's. During the time I left, that career path and opportunity seemed unlikely. Also, oftentimes, there were promises of training, and professional development opportunities, but I didn't see a lot of that actually executed on during my time. WIth that said, understand that operating an RPO agency and not only surviving, but THRIVING over the past 10 years is an amazing accomplishment in itself. Look around and see how many agencies are no longer around or are floundering. It's feast or famine, but at Novotus they've steadily grown and have stuck to their belief that RPO is the wave of the future. If you find a startup company that's been around for 10 years that hasn't gone through their share of struggles and areas to improve on, let me know because they just don't exist.

Though I feel like I hit a ceiling for growth, I realized that a lot of my struggle was also a personal burden/responsibility that I had to take initiative/action on. So realize that though there are always downsides to working at any company, remember, it's all about your perspective and how you choose to act on your perceptions. Some of the responsibility lies on the company to provide the right environment. Part of it lies on your to take initiative, ignore the voices in your head and go out and make it happen.

Get back to putting top performers in roles that they are unfamiliar with, challenge them, set them free and then support them every step of the way.

Growing company willing to offer opportunity for those who take it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Novotus

Pros

Open door practice, not just policy. Team environment. Employee appreciation and recognition.

Cons

Communication could flow more easily. Defined career paths would answer lots of questions.

Planning and following through will create a greater perception of stability for employees. It's part of the electric entrepreneurial environment, but needs some help. Set realistic goals with clients when possible. You've got a great can-do attitude among the troops, but that also makes it harder to retain focus on the bigger picture.

Worked for Novotus? Contribute to the Community!