Novus

David Murphy

Good learning experience.

Current Employee - Sales Representative/Costumer Service in Carolina, PR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative/Costumer Service in Carolina, PR

I have been working at Novus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn how to provide excellent costumer service and how to multi task.

Cons

Few labor hours and benefits.

Please consider a fulltime job for those working by contract for almost a year.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Account Executive in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Novus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young people, good benefits. Back in the mid-2000 Novus was a great place to work. The work life balance was taken into consideration. Then all of a sudden things changed, and they started not caring about their employees.

Cons

Novus will work you to death and not care about you. I have heard stories after I left of people being called while on vacation and asking them to come into the office. They use and abuse their employees and don't care about a good work-life balance. Avoid this place at all cost.

Take a look back to what the company was back in 2002-2007. People were happy then.

Underpaid and Overworked

I have been working at Novus full-time

Pros

In all honesty there are a LOT of great people to work with here and often times the work is fun and challenging. However I don't care how fun or challenging it is when you are doing it for 70+ hours per week on a semi-regular basis. The benefits are above average to good. They throw Happy Hours in the break room from time to time and there are some really cool perks. Generous time off (when you actually get a chance to use it).

Cons

Lots and lots of hours. I don't remember the last time I worked less than 50 hours in a week, and often I'm up over 60-70 hours. Very frustrating to see how much it bothers my supervisor that I am in that many hours every week and coming in on weekends and there really is nothing they can do about it because deadlines will be missed. I get told that's not what's expected of me, but I am expected to meet deadlines, which in turn requires the hours. Also it happens quite often that a co-worker falls behind and I end up taking up the slack. There is no desire in upper management to fix this. We keep adding clients, but not people so the work gets piled on. Not sure if I can speak for the whole company on the pay, but I am about 30% under what I am worth. Granted the benefits are good, but not worth that much of a pay gap.

Hire people when we get new clients. Some departments are in ruin right now and if one person gets fed up enough to leave, the department will fall apart and clients WILL LEAVE NOVUS.

Worked to Death...and Then Worked Even More

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Novus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good for experience (makes you learn quickly) and to build a resume, but then get out.

Cons

Poor training for new hires - there is no strong, consistent foundation.
    The company has no brand voice - a company is only as strong as its employees who are interacting with clients. And this company did nothing to communicate what they stand for or represent.
    All that matters at Novus is the bottom line. Personal or career goals employees have are not focused on.
    High turn-over, inadequate resources/staffing.
    Overworked and way underpaid.

Be more receptive to the needs of your employees. Hire an adequate amount of staff so teams have the resources to be productive and efficient. Make changes when ideas or suggestions are brought to management. Offer some kind of incentive for all of the employees that are working way more than 40 hour weeks for your company - they're going to burn out quickly if the only thing that is keeping them going is their minuscule pay checks.

Quickly Headed in Wrong Direction

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Novus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Novus has generous vacation time, generally nice rank and file employees, good health and dental benefits. Middle management seems to care, but is powerless to enact any real change.

Cons

I have spent over four years at Novus and although the company has grown substantially from a revenue and client perspective, I have never seen morale this low and such high turnover. The most talented employees are leaving quickly and are back-filled by either contract workers or recent college graduates. This has created significant talent gaps across major areas that often times are actually client facing.

Overall, there is very poor communication at the company. No one knows what other teams within their department are doing let alone what is done within other departments at the agency. This problem is exponentially increased when college grads at their first real job are thrown to wolves and left to figure things out on their own.

Management is also very poor at communicating the status of the company to rank and file employees. We were told that raises would becoming in March, however it is now August and there hasn't been a peep about them from senior management.

The company describes itself as a fun work hard, play hard agency. The reality it is only work hard. If you join Novus, be ready for long hours with little to acknowledgment or personal recognition.

The pay at Novus is lower than what you will find at other agencies and you have to threaten to quit to get a raise or promotion. Also be prepared for your benefits to slowly decrease over time thanks to the Omnicom-Publicis merger. The day of the announcement, we were told that cell phone reimbursement for those without AT&T service would be discontinued.

When I gave my notice, I was asked if anything could be done to keep me. I responded with a simple no thank you.

Please notice that your most talented employees are leaving in droves. With the talent gap that currently exists, all it takes is one very upset OMD or PHD team for the word to spread to the rest of Omnicom Media Group that Novus is slipping. I am guessing that is not the way you would want your legacy to be left.

most disappointing experience

I worked at Novus

Pros

Plenty of days off and a lot of young people

Cons

I had such high hopes when I first started working at Novus, but those expectations quickly faded after i realized the kind of place this was. First of all, they will over work you to the point of desperation and pay you nothing for your hard work. The turnover in the company is extremely high because the good talent quickly realizes that they are not being appreciated so they leave. It is even worse when you consider that this is not a large company by any means. Novus, in return, hires whoever because they don't want to offer what the good employees deserve. They are constantly getting new clients which is great, except when you realize that they are not as proactive when it comes to hiring people to help manage the new business because their plan is to overwork the current employees to the bones. Initially I thought that the issue had to do with my horrible manager, but after talking to people from other departments I realized that this was a company-wide issue.One colleague actually ended up leaving for a company where she ended up in a position below the one she had at Novus, but to her it was worth getting out of the mess. I thought Novus would be the right move for my career but it ended up being the worst thing I could do for it and for my stress level. Despite what you may be offered, do not take a job there because you CAN do much better than Novus. Believe me, you'll be happier as a greeter at Walmart

Wake up! Your employees are not happy and this is shown by the high turn over. Keep your coffee mugs and your blankets during the holidays because that is not what your employees need. They need you to show that you care and they need you to pay them for their hard work! and in case you have not noticed yet, Omnicom does not give a rat's ass about Novus' employees. Its your job to care.

Good work, Good People

Former Employee - Traffic Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Traffic Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Novus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and it was enjoyable work

Cons

Sometimes unsure of the over all business strategy. Lots of changes in rebranding image.

Only work here if you have no other choice - stay for one year maximum!

I have been working at Novus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The coworkers are great as most are young and right out of college
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Management is terrible
    -Horrible turnover rate
    -BORING work
    -Bad work/life balance - all work, no fun. Everyone just sits at their cubes for 9 hours/day
    -Siloed - no one knows how other departments operate
    -Absolutely no training whatsoever
    -Horrible pay

Since the turnover rate is so bad, Novus will hire almost anyone to fill the growing number of empty positions. In doing this, they tend to hire unqualified and incompetent people. The people who are of good-quality realize quickly that this is not somewhere that they want to stay long-term so they find other jobs (at actual creative agencies like Periscope, Martin Williams, etc.). This leaves the unqualified employees to move up into management positions. It's an endless cycle of horrible management an turnover.

you must be desperate to work there

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Novus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing... it is that bad

Cons

Management has no clue of how to run a company.

Novus is a good agency to work for in the Twin Cities area.

Current Employee - Media Department in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Media Department in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Novus

Pros

Novus has excellent healthcare, vacation and maternity benefits. Most employees seem to care and take pride at working for Novus. Almost everyone seems willing to help out their co-workers.

Cons

Novus is extremely siloed. As the company grows into print and digital neither side knows about the other side of the business due to a lack of communication/training.

There is no clear cut development program within Novus. It seems like most employees have to advance their career by switching agencies.

The company lags behind other Twin Cities agencies in terms of "fun". For most employees, they sit down at their cube for "X" amount of hours and then go home. If Novus wants to compete for Carmichael Lynch, Compass Point and Periscope level talent they may need to address this issue.