Now Foods

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Al Powers

Great benefits & coworkers but very frustrating environment

Sparks, NV

I have been working at Now Foods full-time

ProsGreat benefits and quarterly bonuses.
Food based industry means better job security.
Exercise room with BowFlex, treadmill and elliptical.
Most employees are supportive and easy to get along with.
Decent wage.
Active job burns calories and keeps weight down.
Most employees are conscientious and courteous.
Clean environment.
OT makes for bigger paychecks.
Safety rules followed and practiced well.
New material handling equipment.
New equipment is being tested to speed up production.
Local comedians make the environment bearable.

ConsToo many tattle tellers and a few antagonistic personalities.
Negative meetings and just plain dumb rules.
Mixed signals from management.
Poor follow through and follow up from management.
Condescending talk from management and favorite employees.
One minute we are good the next we are bad.
No mentoring in job skills, company culture or professional growth.
HR & Management don't decisively deal with antagonist behavior.
Excessive OT is mentally and physically exhausting all workers.
Workers are needing more doctor visits for physical and mental health.
Workers take impromptu stress/mental health days.
High tensions, poor attitudes and low morale.
Poor job satisfaction.
Everyone is sore and fatigue and CRANKY.
Some employees get more assistance from management than others.
Outdated equipment and processes and procedures.
Poor work-life balance despite company promoting good health.
Management talks sports too much with favorite employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what corporate preaches. Work hard with us. Break a sweat. Quit quoting numbers and belittling us. Mentor us. Train us. Treat us like adults. Stop the dumb rules. Have some courage and stop employees bad behavior. Quit talking sports with some employees while the others need your help and work our butts off. Increase efficiency by modernizing SOP and equipment. Stop favoritism. Engage us. Make us feel like a part of the company.

Highly dysfunctional with poor communication from management on down.

QC Micro and Physical Supervisor (Former Employee)
Sparks, NV

I worked at Now Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsNice clean company, many many good employees there - great , in fact.

ConsConstant miscommunication, things not being passed down to the next shift properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with you r staff - AA of them! They don't think you exist, not for them anyway.

Biased, Discriminating, with nowhere to go.

I have been working at Now Foods full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe employees themselves are a great group of people, not including management or upper management. The management team does a very good job at making you feel like there is no life outside of NOW. The HR department is less than helpful or friendly. If you ever need to approach them about anything they have a very cold attitude so as long as you are one of the poor employees that have been backed into a corner with no place left to turn try to avoid seeking their counsel. Sometimes on Thursdays they will give you a piece of organic fruit to show you how much they care, oh and the quarterly bonuses, which they try really hard to find ways to decrease, makes up for the low base pay they pay you from the get go. Awesome!

ConsDon't ever count on getting a good raise when it comes to review time. Most managers there will save all their negative feelings for that moment they finally take to sit down with you and hold every single thing they can against you. There is no coaching, there are many promises made that are continuously broken and a common feeling among the employees is fear. Another thing that feels awful there is the obvious favoritism among management and particular employees. Religion constantly comes into play and the company really seems to frown upon people that don't agree with their philosophies. The occasional bad mouthing about other employees or making fun of people directly out of middle management's mouths happens regularly. There is a ton of hypocrisy and no room for thinking outside the NOW box. There is no room to grow or advance... EVER and they have the tendency to hire people related to their "favorite" people. If you want to follow the sheep and start following the backside of some managers rear end then get ready and pucker those lips of yours and keep those fingers crossed. In 6 to 7 years you might move up in the company. Maybe. If you pray hard enough to the NOW gods.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your whole strategy as far as middle management goes. They are going to take the company down. The owners of that company are genuinely good hearted people. The people working below them are not in the same category. Coach your employees. Over the years you have lost site of your core values to focus on growth of the company. Things have been going very rough for the past couple years and the morale has gone out the window. The HR department is intimidating and cold. You have turned into one of those corporations that your advocacy team fights so hard against. It is a company wide feeling. So many people are very unhappy and too afraid to tell you.

Complete failiar QC Lab

QC Chemist (Former Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Now Foods as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHPLC experience and that's about IT. There are no other pros to work for this lab.

ConsFirst of all this place is very biased. The lab supervisor has her favorites and those are the ones who kiss ass to get away from doing work. She has no idea about how to run a lab and what the tests are. She assigns easy stuff to her favs and others basically get screwed. We didn't have proper training. I was just tagged with someone for like a month and basically thrown to the wolfs. The manager has NO idea about anything and how to run the lab. He does not deserve to be at his post at all. I love working in a lab but when I worked at this lab I HATED going to work everyday because of their management. Oh yea they also expect us to work in a tiny lab with not enough HPLC instrumentation. Also the freaking AC doesn't work in lab. How cheap is that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to hire professional who knows how to run a lab and not judge people on their looks and charms. If they don't get their management team sorted out they will not last long for sure.

A colossal failure.

Chemist I (Current Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Now Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsExperience with instrumentation that you normally would have to wait some years to obtain. That is good as most companies want to see experience with this type of instrumentation.

ConsManagement is biased, incompetent, and overall clueless on how to run a proper GMP lab. First and foremost, this company does not have a training regiment. They just pair you with another analyst and watch them work for a while. Soon they will say, "Oh, this person should be ready to go." Down the rabbit hole you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople should be hired based on their skill set not based on whether you like them or not. This attitude will be the beginning of the end of this company.

Worked for Now Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Now Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Now Foods CEO Al Powers. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Now Foods employees.