NuSil Technology Reviews

Representative

Current Employee - Representative in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Representative in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology

Pros

Nice co-workers, initially very welcoming.

Cons

Poor pay- after 4 years with outstanding reviews- I've gone from 13.42 to 14.90 an hour. 25 cent raises, promised bonuses deferred year after year, customers angry because the can never reach sales or technical support in the first call.

Advice to Management

I am resigning to take a better paying position AT WALMART!!! When your employees are going to Walmart to improve their pay, something is wrong. What will you do when the minimum wage goes up to $15????
    Join the real world. Read a newspaper. Good luck to the new CEO, you seem like a smart & kind man. Please fix this for the coworkers I leave behind.

2. Chaotic and archaic, but amazing potential to be a great place to work.

I have been working at NuSil Technology

Pros

The work is challenging, the autonomy is great, and you will gain a lot of experience in a very small amount of time. A lot of fun people to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

Meetings, meetings, meetings. How do you do your actual job when you have to talk about it all day? Salary is really low.

Advice to Management

Replace the tracking system / scheduling system immediately with something far more automated that collects data. Do the same with the current training system. Actually Research and Develop new novel products and processes utilizing new and relevant technologies.

Don't do it! Bad company, stay away.

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to see first hand how a terrible company works. You will be amazed at how such a broken system can somehow turn a profit.

Cons

The level of corporate greed is so high it's bordering on cliche. Being apart of such a backwards organization will crush your soul.

Advice to Management

Get on your yacht, sail away and don't come back. You're what's wrong with this society.

Union Needed ASAP!!

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time

Pros

Great people in the work force!

Cons

Everything else! This company is a complete train wreck. The management has zero respect for their teams. HR is a huge part of the problem. The HR department is so disengaged they have no idea that we are forced to work overtime by being threatened with our jobs ("not working overtime is not an option"). A co-worker told me he tried report an injury to a supervisor and nothing was done. There was a previous post about promotions that is very true. Only the favorites get promoted. This is very true.

Advice to Management

Quit counting the value of your stocks and 'be a part of the solution', not the problem. We want to be a part of the winning team. The only time you show up is when there is discipline to be issued. The site manager is relatively new to the company seems very two faced. The COO is fairly new as well and keeps preaching that the employees are the greatest asset. But he knows none of our names.

"Going Foward"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get Manufacturing experience and learn about the chemistry of polymers.

Cons

Where do i start , since i started working here i havent noticed any standards. Supervisors show up when ever they want , and when they do decide to show up they disapeer after 3 to 4 hrs without informing anyone, but is ok according to one supervisor because they dont get paid holiday or overtime since they are on salary they can excersise their Supervisor Rights, with out the supervisors showing up especially on weekends how are we suppose to raise the bar?We keep hearing "going foward" this and that but when it comes down to holding people acountable nothing ever gets done about it. Promotions here are a joke, hard work will get you nowhere in order for you to get promoted you have to either be related to a supervisor or be GOOD friends with one and with that your automatically granted immunity to any disciplinary action regardless of what you do from miss charging, No Co Signatures, to having a spill. Even with the whole plant knowing of your mess up, you will never be held accountable.

Advice to Management

Develop a standard with requirements someone must meet before they are even considered up for a promotion, dont just hand out promotions left and right to unqualified Operators this gets noticed by qualified operators who have been there yrs and havent been able to move up.

7. Listen to your employees

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ok company to work for to start your experience section in resume

Cons

Greedy upper management. Very little room to move up. bad benefits

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

8. Great place to learn a skill set

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, benefits are so so, paid holidays, and full time work especially when there is down time.

Cons

The cons to this job are many; let us start with management. Bad managers, I mean terrible management skills, I've seen better leadership at a McDonald's.
    Although the company frowns about shift vs shift bickering and drama they actually perpetuate it by favoring the employees that upper management work with. The first shift have all the perks: laziness, what equipment they choose to work on, no forced weekend work, no real consequences once an incident occurs, and day to day activities are not supervised.
    The other shifts are not that much better, the night shift complain constantly yet they do less work and get paid more. The swing shift are a bunch of suckers, they do all the work and get screwed the most and has the least workers.
    There is no clear way to advance within the company, very little opportunity for the average Joe. Wages are below the industry standard and they have a poor training program.

Advice to Management

1. Stop favoring employees
    2. Better wages
    3. Get a better training program
    4. Cheaper medical insurance
    5. Get better organized especially with manufacturing scheduling
    6. lead by example, make the company a choice of employment or forever be a training facility for better companies out there.
    7. Update the equipment and buy more valued equipment employees need.

9. Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Temporary Engineering Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary Engineering Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at NuSil Technology (less than a year)

Pros

No pros to this company

Cons

they expect you to constantly work hard even when you have a cold or they fire you.

Advice to Management

Needs a better boss. Nobody gets together well at this company in the engineering department they all bicker about each person not doing their job well. I was originally told I was going to help take pumps apart and fix them (I'm good mechanically) instead they gave me a broom and said "here, clean this mezzanine" Then they fired me because I had a cold for a week and was very weak and tired at work when I showed up. I even showed up 10 minutes early everyday that I was sick. They are very prejudiced against temporary employees hired through a temp agency so be warned.

Come for the growth, leave for better $

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy place to be part of change and make a difference. You can add a lot to your resume in a short period of time and turn yourself into a marketable weapon.

Cons

The salary is terrible. If you make it to higher pay brackets, you may be offered equity sharing, but this only applies to ~10% of the company. Everyone else slaves on in poverty.

Advice to Management

You say you want to be an "employer of choice" but you don't specify for whom. The base salaries are too low to attract and keep top performers, other than the small handful of people who don't know what they are worth, or have other things tying them to the job or the area.

Ditch the antiquated and ineffective view on pay and look to better companies as a model. Ultimately, the mediocre pay will generate a mediocre workforce and mediocre results. Why do you think we have to spend so much time and resource digging ourselves out of the operational hole that we are in now?

disappointing

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly people is probably the only pro I can think of.

Cons

Passive aggressive management, low pay, weird hierarchy structure, dated equipment, poorly run inefficient systems, undertrained staff. Employees live in an unhealthy constant fear of management. In a nutshell Nusil is a small company trying to go big. The reason it is failing is because it continues to meet its success benchmarks every year lulling investors and employees alike into thinking that the current management are the right people for their jobs. What Nusil needs is a management culling. There are far too many old heads preventing fresh ideas from coming into effect.

Advice to Management

Less passive aggressive ways of dealing with employees please. If you have something on your mind say it. Communication is key in every situation. Implement more efficient systems and get rid of paperwork (this is a problem a small company should not have). Lots of potential but unless management is overhauled its only a matter of time until this company plateaus and then declines for good.