NuVasive

NuVasive Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov

Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 6 reviews)

• Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe company is hugely supportive as a whole. If you are hired here, they want nothing but the best both for you and from you. The standards are extremely high, but you are given the tools, support and infrastructure to exceed expectations. As an employee, I feel valued, supported, respected, included, and very well compensated. They have no problem paying for top talent and will do what it takes to keep great people here. At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and know that my work is appreciated, recognized, and helpful.

ConsThis place is serious. If for some reason you make it past the interview stage and are not an "A Player", you will find out very quickly that this is not the company for you. Giving 100% is seen as the bare minimum. Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance. You will be pushed, casual fun is relegated to a couple of weeks a year, and things get stressful! But if you thrive on a fast-pace, high pressure and can wait months for the payoff, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few more opportunities to let our hair down, so to speak, would probably be beneficial. Frequent, concise communication regarding company-wide changes/initiatives would also cut down on some of the fear of the unknown.

Time has changed this company for the worse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe veteran employees are what made coming to work each day worth it. They lived the culture that made NuVasive great. The mission of the company is meaningful and Nuvasive has definitely changed spine surgery.

ConsThere is absolutely no work/life balance at this company. You are expected to be available at a moments notice 24/7. There are too many passing themes that no one follows and it is just lip service. The focus is definitely on the bottom line now at the expense of the employees, although the management team will spin it to their favor.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made NuVasive great and the rest will follow.

My experience at NuVasive has been exciting and professionally fulfilling.

ProsThe best reasons to work here would be the people. Everyone is hardworking and a team player. There is also a lot of free food and good coffee which is nice. There is room for upward mobility within the company.

ConsChallenges of working here would be the location, there is a lot of traffic during rush hours. Also, it is very fast paced which is a good thing but sometimes it can be overwhelming.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, Intelligent and Innovative People

Finance (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPeople here are very intelligent and know how to have fun. Innovative thinking is encouraged and rewarded. It is definitely a fast-paced company but that is what makes it challenging and exciting. People are always engaged and driven to learn more. The Absolute Wellness programs are excellent.

ConsDue to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected. There has been strong support from management to improve systems and processes which has helped this issue considerably.

I like the people I work with at NuVasive - they are why I keep coming to work each day.

ProsThe best part about working here is the people that I work with. I really appreciate my bosses and how supportive they are of me. I like being part of a healthcare company and all that we do to make people's lives better. I think having a Spine Foundation that helps others globally, is a highlight here.

ConsLong drive (in traffic). I sometimes feel the "Absolute Responsiveness" is used against us. It doesn't allow for making sure that the work is done "right the first time". I think we sometimes just do things to get them done instead of taking our time, so we don't have to redo things. Lack of 401k match. I see a lot of imbalance with work and family life. Over spending by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel upper management should curtail some of the spending they do - first class airline seats, waiting until the last minute to decide on flights that result in higher costs, spending a lot of money on alcohol. Off site meetings in expensive hotels should be curtailed. Use the money you would save to increase people's salaries or bonuses. Look at the amount of hours people are spending working, on emails from home, etc. and if they need help, consider hiring temps/interns to help out. People need a life outside of work.

Motivating, encouraging and rewarding place to work.

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful coworkers, ability to improve the business, small-company feel, opportunities for career growth, ability to see impact of business on improving patients' lives

ConsHigh expectations for performance (quantity, quality and time of work), located in high traffic congested location, extensive interview process

"NuVasive-Top Notch Leadership, Leading Spine Company, Awesome Company Culture!

Corporate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCulture, Employees are really shreowners and tremendous room for upward mobility! Strong community involvement through the better way back program!

ConsCan't think of any. It's real progressive company!

Dynamic, growing company -- a place where you can make a difference !

ProsThe enviornment and people are very welcoming and everyone goes out of their way to help new hires acclimate and learn. The pace is fast and expectations are high -- but it's rewarding working in an enviornment where everyone is a top performer (a.k.a. "A Player").

ConsThe workload can cause long hours at the office, but the satisfaction from the work and knowing you have an impact makes it tolerable, in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider relaxing dress code--at least one day/week.

AWSOME place to work.

Finance (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe best company I have ever worked for by a long-shot! Senior leaders have a very clear strategy and I understand how my job helps NUVA be sucessful. The company and my manager are also helping me balance work needs with my personal/family life.

ConsCafe needs some improvement and more choices -- but satisfactory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job -- keep it going!

Great company ... with even greater potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall company feel -- actively engaged people with lots of great ideas and passion. I feel loved and supported. Great benefits package.

ConsStrict dress code (not even casual Fridays). There are some blockers on the management team resistant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax the dress code and make sure you "walk the talk" when focusing on profitable growth. Meaning, don't cut programs but still fund extravagant events.

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!