NuVasive

Updated August 18, 2014

4.0

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov
Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 6 reviews)

• Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovatig company, awesome culture

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Great benefits, high salary, everyone is so passionate and really wants to change spine surgery. The culture here is very demanding but so rewarding, they help you learn but also expect 100% effort all the time. Everyone loves their job and gets options to do what they want, it really is like working for a start up that has $1 billion worth of resources. When they hire you, they are investing in you because they see value in you and your potential.

Cons

A lot is expected of employees and everyone is expected to be a clinical expert so the learning curve is fairly high. If you don't come from spine, it's like learning a whole new language but they invest so much into their employees. Because work is demanding, it can be hard to strike a work life balance, but everyone loves their work too much to care that it consumes their life.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working for a company that is fun, exciting, and committed to helping patients. The executives and the entire management are truly interested in keeping the enthusiasm alive. I also like working in a place where people actually care about doing a good job. A huge plus is the commitment to hire A-players. Working with a smart, motivated, and hard-working (and young!) group of people is a real pleasure. I don't get the sense that there is a competitive atmosphere here.
    I think the executives keep everyone informed about how the company is doing. I'm impressed with their openness. Even our most senior execs have open doors. The best thing is they all know how to make the job fun.
    I've recommended this company to my son and he's been working here for a year...and he loves it!

Cons

Traffic leaving the office in the afternoons is pretty bad (the flip-side is that management understands and is pretty flexible about work hours).
    HR is improving the benefits (which wasn't a big negative for me).

The Most Challenging but Rewarding Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

NuVasive has such a unique and family-like culture. Working in the med device industry, it is very competitive so the day-to-day is nonstop but extremely rewarding. You have the opportunity to wear many hats and be challenged in your role to further grow within the company. The extensive Purple Cheetah Spirit also furthers the unique and dynamic culture. While everyone is working at "Cheetah Speed," it is inspiring to be surrounded by other employees who also want to work to improve the spine industry. Lastly, the competitive benefits plan and a great health and wellness program are also perks of the company.

Cons

There is a great deal to learn as a new hire in your first few months. On top of learning your new role, you need to also study for the company's Spine Exam and pass with a 90% or above. Makes the first few months challenging but extremely helpful once you've passed so you feel even more involved as an employee (shareowner) knowing company products, procedures, and terminology.

Looking forward to NuVa 2.0!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great product innovation - growing pains with leadership and expansion

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very innovative product driven company that believes in improving patient outcomes. Smart hard working people who put forth great effort. Compensation is good and San Diego is a nice place to live and work. Great potential in beating competition. Fun events on a quarterly basis.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of employees and they are overworked and under appreciated (poor work/life balance). Leadership is inexperienced in developing standards and they don't seem to practice what they preach. Quite often use the culture of 'absolute responsiveness' as a weapon and senior management is very close minded to listen to improvement ideas. They seem to value high effort and frenetic activity to just 'get things done' over actual quality and results outside of the products. Highly scattered energy where leaders try to take on way more than they can handle and work standards are compromised. Teams end up suffering as senior leadership also tends to over delegate.

Prioritize better and don't try and to take on so many initiatives. Develop personal relationships with your teams and appreciate them more. Be open minded to improvement ideas. Spend more time doing root cause analysis and invest time into planning before jumping into action so quickly. Develop more awareness of leadership styles/approaches and realize the impact that you have on employees. Motivate and inspire instead of being overly critical and looking at what is wrong first.

Good Company, Good People

Current Employee - Quality  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Quality in Memphis, TN

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Managment is always open to new ideas and implements them if it saves the company money and makes our job easier.Very good time off policies.

Cons

Things i see that need improvement are, no 401K match, no pension plan,the pay is laughable compared to other medical companies in the memphis area.Great place to work if thats all you all looking for in a job.

If you are going play with the Big Gorrilla,then you need to pay like the Big Gorrilla .There is way to much employee turnover and pay is the reason I hear the most for people leaving the company.

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is hugely supportive as a whole. If you are hired here, they want nothing but the best both for you and from you. The standards are extremely high, but you are given the tools, support and infrastructure to exceed expectations. As an employee, I feel valued, supported, respected, included, and very well compensated. They have no problem paying for top talent and will do what it takes to keep great people here. At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and know that my work is appreciated, recognized, and helpful.

Cons

This place is serious. If for some reason you make it past the interview stage and are not an "A Player", you will find out very quickly that this is not the company for you. Giving 100% is seen as the bare minimum. Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance. You will be pushed, casual fun is relegated to a couple of weeks a year, and things get stressful! But if you thrive on a fast-pace, high pressure and can wait months for the payoff, this is the place for you.

A few more opportunities to let our hair down, so to speak, would probably be beneficial. Frequent, concise communication regarding company-wide changes/initiatives would also cut down on some of the fear of the unknown.

My experience at NuVasive has been exciting and professionally fulfilling.

I have been working at NuVasive as an intern

Pros

The best reasons to work here would be the people. Everyone is hardworking and a team player. There is also a lot of free food and good coffee which is nice. There is room for upward mobility within the company.

Cons

Challenges of working here would be the location, there is a lot of traffic during rush hours. Also, it is very fast paced which is a good thing but sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Fun, Intelligent and Innovative People

Current Employee - Finance  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People here are very intelligent and know how to have fun. Innovative thinking is encouraged and rewarded. It is definitely a fast-paced company but that is what makes it challenging and exciting. People are always engaged and driven to learn more. The Absolute Wellness programs are excellent.

Cons

Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected. There has been strong support from management to improve systems and processes which has helped this issue considerably.

Time has changed this company for the worse

I worked at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The veteran employees are what made coming to work each day worth it. They lived the culture that made NuVasive great. The mission of the company is meaningful and Nuvasive has definitely changed spine surgery.

Cons

There is absolutely no work/life balance at this company. You are expected to be available at a moments notice 24/7. There are too many passing themes that no one follows and it is just lip service. The focus is definitely on the bottom line now at the expense of the employees, although the management team will spin it to their favor.

Remember what made NuVasive great and the rest will follow.

I like the people I work with at NuVasive - they are why I keep coming to work each day.

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best part about working here is the people that I work with. I really appreciate my bosses and how supportive they are of me. I like being part of a healthcare company and all that we do to make people's lives better. I think having a Spine Foundation that helps others globally, is a highlight here.

Cons

Long drive (in traffic). I sometimes feel the "Absolute Responsiveness" is used against us. It doesn't allow for making sure that the work is done "right the first time". I think we sometimes just do things to get them done instead of taking our time, so we don't have to redo things. Lack of 401k match. I see a lot of imbalance with work and family life. Over spending by upper management.

I feel upper management should curtail some of the spending they do - first class airline seats, waiting until the last minute to decide on flights that result in higher costs, spending a lot of money on alcohol. Off site meetings in expensive hotels should be curtailed. Use the money you would save to increase people's salaries or bonuses. Look at the amount of hours people are spending working, on emails from home, etc. and if they need help, consider hiring temps/interns to help out. People need a life outside of work.

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!