NuVasive Reviews

Reset
3.8
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Pros
  • The mission of the company is meaningful and Nuvasive has definitely changed spine surgery (in 8 reviews)

• Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work/life balance at this company (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Cost Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cost Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving, fast pace company. Offers plenty of oppurtunity Great professionals who are very good at what they do.

Cons

Sometime being fast isn't always the best thing

2. The NuVa Way

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast moving product development. Represents the culture of San Diego and Spine Orthopedic Industry. Tons of smart people with an aggressive attitude for growth. Lots of opportunity to stand out if you have the drive.

Cons

Lots of inexperienced people. Fast growth of the company has resulted in some process and policy gaps. The line between fast paced and frenetic gets passed daily. Compensation and benefits are not par with other medical tech companies.

3. Sales

Pros

Phenomenal culture, passionate about making innovative MIS procedures to help make spine surgery more suitable to all surgeons/patients.

Cons

A lot of uncertainty with executive management changes

Advice to Management

strengthen relationships and culture amongst field reps, then worry about corporate initiatives

Cheetah speed

Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn how to integrate acquisitions and open new subsidaries in new foreign markets,.

Cons

Long work hours, short staffed, pressure to always be friendly and positive posed the risk of ignoring larger problems.

Advice to Management

Get comfortable with learning from mistakes, moving at cheetah speed does'nt always allow for accuracy 100% of the time.

6. Great Company- going through a lot of changes

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company. The culture is hard to beat and they are very good to their employees.

Cons

Management is going through a lot of changes since our CEO was replaced and the uncertainty and chaos has been a little frustrating for everyone. It's been difficult to transition to another department and/or move up.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the culture- it's why people stay!

excellent Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the that upper management in the quality department truly cared for the well-being and professional success of the individual share owner. They went through great lengths with weekly status meetings to ensure that the worker was on target to succeed.

Cons

The HR department is terribly disfunctional

Advice to Management

Culture is a trickle-down affair

NuVasive Response

Jun 23, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at NUVA. We want to hear the good, bad, and the ugly so we can continue to improve the employment experience. We are sorry to hear that your ... More

8. Great experience

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

My personal experience has been great. I owe it to the wonderful team I get to work with. I hope the culture doesn't change with the new ceo.

Cons

I wish 401k match was higher.

Former Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- strong, knowledgeable executive team - 401K match - relaxed dress code - free snacks and coffee

Cons

- relatively low compensation compared to the work load - depending on your team, culture and management style varies - quick to judge, you will soon know if you fit in the team or not. and in the case you don't, you will find that exit door faster than you expect - turnover rate is high. All in all, your experience at Nuvasive will depend a lot on the team you are hired into, In my case, all team members worked independently and in the beginning, you'll spend a lot of time figuring things out yourself. Management is usually clueless on what exactly they are looking for, which translates to frequent revisions or in some cases, entire overhaul of the project. A lot of time is wasted on explaining methods and convincing managers, who are in their position solely based on the years they've worked there, and have no technical abilities and lack direction (13 years with the company, does not know how to zoom in on Excel spreadsheets). This is the observation I made based on my two years employment at the company. Be advised, unless miracles happen, you will be in your initial role for a very long time, upwards movement is scarce and you'll find yourself doing the same thing for years. At the end I found a much larger company and am now able to make clear distinctions.

Advice to Management

Hire competent team leaders who are experienced in their team's function. Duration at the company should not be the basis of seniority.

10. Pros and cons

Pros

great work/life balance. strong culture and environment of teamwork. everyone is truly self-motivated and strongly believes in the company message

Cons

benefits were below average. high deductibles on health insurance and poor employee 401k match. san diego really expensive place to life.

11. Great company and culture

Pros

- Fastest growing spine company - Passionate senior management

Cons

- Healthcare reform/pricing - Some growing pains

RSS Feed </> Embed