NuVasive

NuVasive Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov

Alexis V. Lukianov

Sky is the limit, if you have the time and dedication to get there.

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've never worked around a group of higher achieving individuals. The majority of the people here, are incredibly smart, driven, and energetic. The environment pushes one to always seek to improve. Good health coverage, onsite gym, and free healthy snacks, are some of the perks. Rapidly growing, successful company, that pushes you to be creative, and raise the bar everyday. Opportunity for career growth is good, if you're willing to put in the effort. Ability to make a true impact to the company is high, because it is small, and growing rapidly.

ConsIT infrastructure, and automated tools do not keep up with the rapid growth of the business. It is a constant challenge to have to create the tools to do your work. You must be willing to work long hours, and be highly responsive, even when not in the office, if you plan to be successful (much like if you had your own business). Process, and procedures are being created/improved daily, as they too lag behind the growth of the company. Fighting fires, can detract from one's ability to complete truly value-add work. Headcount is lean, for the amount of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeadcount is too lean to support our growth. Employee burnout should be a major concern. Compensation ranges need to be improved.

NuVasive - great energy, better people, competitive atmosphere!

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSimply put - prove yourself, grow your business, be an entrepreneur and opportunities will come knocking at NuVasive. The improvement in leadership in the last two years has created better alignment internally and the company seems to be firing on all cylinders.

ConsEvolving from a small startup into a 'teenage' midsized company has presented some growing pains - all of which is a natural part of the growth curve when becoming a market contender.

Best decision I've ever made!

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

ProsI was hesitant to join a more "corporate" company after working for two years in a laid back, bring your dog to work, casual environment. However after day one I knew I had nothing to fear. Onsite health & fitness classes, lunch and learns, and fruit stocked fridges are only a few examples of how NuVasive values it's employee's on a day to day to basis. As far as the work ethic goes- you will find yourself surrounded by some of the smartest, hardworking, and supportive individuals out there. I couldn't be more excited about being apart of this cutting edge company!

ConsSan Diego Office split between two locations - difficult for meetings.

Best decision I ever made

Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

ProsFast growing $700 million dollar "start up" with HUGE potential hiring "A" players.
Undervalued stock with awesome ESPP program...!

ConsDon't go here if you're dieting...tons of food everywhere...!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

An exciting whirlwind of an experience!

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

ProsExciting growth happening in the company. Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees. A great place to be a part of a team with a common goal that encourages eachother daily. We work hard but we work hard with a purpose. NuVasive isn't for the weak of heart but it is extremely rewarding!

ConsTraffic out of the Sorrento Valley office. NuVasive has gone through some small growing pains but the direction things are going is positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job - continue being open to change as we grow into a billion dollar start up.

Cool Technology, Tough Culture

I have been working at NuVasive

Prosreally innovative technology- performance driven

Consno work life balance at all

Good learning opportunities, but corporate culture makes it difficult to stay above water or get ahead.

San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

ProsFun activities (team events, Cheetah Ball, fundraising, etc.) and good fitness programs (onsite classes, running club, softball). Also a young and innovative team with a lot of generation X and Y'ers.

ConsManagement is top heavy. A lot of employees have a manager title even if they aren't managing anyone or anything. And the managers that do have direct reports have not been trained well, so they end up making the problem worse.

There is room for growth and learning, only so far as taking on more work, having longer hours, and not necessarily getting fairly compensated for the extra workload. The culture breeds contempt and a feeling of mass superiority over other organizations (no matter who they are). More emphasis seems to be put on "hating" on competitors (even the CEO does this quite often) than focusing on the task at hand and growing camaraderie within the organization.The result is childish banter that often leads to frenetic activity instead of productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on "them" and more on "us". Level out the organization so you have enough individual contributors to do the work, versus only managers who want to be high level and not in the details.

Purple Cheetahs!

New Guy (Current Employee)

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

ProsInvestment into the infrastructure is just beginning - exciting time to join HR & TA!
Products are innovative and world-class.
It's all about the patients, and the vision/mission is understood by all.
Spine exam!

ConsJuvenile corp functions that will need to grow in sophistication, acting global, acting big, and leveraging technology to keep up with Product and Sales teams.
Senior Leaders need to focus on acting globally, and start spending more time looking under your hood - attrition is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more resources into TA, hire the best, and measure it to prove that you're doing it.
Bring more senior leaders in the door from mature, global, and world-class companies that can bring best practices to the table.

During my tenure at NuVasive we have experienced industry leading growth and expansion through our continued innovation.

Sales Leadership (Current Employee)

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsColleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery. Organizational commitment to innovation and internal & external responsiveness. Industry best surgeon education & training programs to advance the adoption of less invasive spine surgery.

ConsOperational challenges associated with rapid growth and expansion. Required integration and standardization of global business processes and systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work for high-performers as your efforts will be rewarded

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTremendous growth opportunities; hard work and high performance are rewarded; awesome employee-driven culture; innovative product portfolio

ConsDepends on your perspective...if you are just looking for a "job," and are not passionate about culture, performance and innovation, this likely is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making the patients we serve and our culture the priority as we continue to grow globally and expand our market share.

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NuVasive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NuVasive CEO Alexis V. Lukianov. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by NuVasive employees.