NuVasive

NuVasive Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov

Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 6 reviews)

• Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe company is hugely supportive as a whole. If you are hired here, they want nothing but the best both for you and from you. The standards are extremely high, but you are given the tools, support and infrastructure to exceed expectations. As an employee, I feel valued, supported, respected, included, and very well compensated. They have no problem paying for top talent and will do what it takes to keep great people here. At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and know that my work is appreciated, recognized, and helpful.

ConsThis place is serious. If for some reason you make it past the interview stage and are not an "A Player", you will find out very quickly that this is not the company for you. Giving 100% is seen as the bare minimum. Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance. You will be pushed, casual fun is relegated to a couple of weeks a year, and things get stressful! But if you thrive on a fast-pace, high pressure and can wait months for the payoff, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few more opportunities to let our hair down, so to speak, would probably be beneficial. Frequent, concise communication regarding company-wide changes/initiatives would also cut down on some of the fear of the unknown.

Fun, Intelligent and Innovative People

Finance (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPeople here are very intelligent and know how to have fun. Innovative thinking is encouraged and rewarded. It is definitely a fast-paced company but that is what makes it challenging and exciting. People are always engaged and driven to learn more. The Absolute Wellness programs are excellent.

ConsDue to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected. There has been strong support from management to improve systems and processes which has helped this issue considerably.

My experience at NuVasive has been exciting and professionally fulfilling.

ProsThe best reasons to work here would be the people. Everyone is hardworking and a team player. There is also a lot of free food and good coffee which is nice. There is room for upward mobility within the company.

ConsChallenges of working here would be the location, there is a lot of traffic during rush hours. Also, it is very fast paced which is a good thing but sometimes it can be overwhelming.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"NuVasive-Top Notch Leadership, Leading Spine Company, Awesome Company Culture!

Corporate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCulture, Employees are really shreowners and tremendous room for upward mobility! Strong community involvement through the better way back program!

ConsCan't think of any. It's real progressive company!

Dynamic, growing company -- a place where you can make a difference !

ProsThe enviornment and people are very welcoming and everyone goes out of their way to help new hires acclimate and learn. The pace is fast and expectations are high -- but it's rewarding working in an enviornment where everyone is a top performer (a.k.a. "A Player").

ConsThe workload can cause long hours at the office, but the satisfaction from the work and knowing you have an impact makes it tolerable, in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider relaxing dress code--at least one day/week.

Motivating, encouraging and rewarding place to work.

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful coworkers, ability to improve the business, small-company feel, opportunities for career growth, ability to see impact of business on improving patients' lives

ConsHigh expectations for performance (quantity, quality and time of work), located in high traffic congested location, extensive interview process

AWSOME place to work.

Finance (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe best company I have ever worked for by a long-shot! Senior leaders have a very clear strategy and I understand how my job helps NUVA be sucessful. The company and my manager are also helping me balance work needs with my personal/family life.

ConsCafe needs some improvement and more choices -- but satisfactory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job -- keep it going!

Onward and Upward!

Director (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWell defined culture with performance bases rewards, fun group, the ability to impact real lives, the amount of low-hanging fruit to pick and make an immediate impact.

ConsToo many of the leaders are focused on being "wildly successful" up to this point, rather than driving infrastructure prowess that will get us to feeling the same way at $1b, $2b, and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct and Sales - world class and your focus on those areas has us arriving at $1b soon. Please turn that energy and capability towards IT, Finance, HR, and TA to maintain the resources. Think and Act Global.

A breath of fresh air

Pros- Fast pased exciting environment
    - Great people- intelligent, engaged, innovative, self-driven
    - Health conscious- on-site gyms and free fruit in the break rooms
    - The company makes great products that cna make people's lives better
    - Training- everyone understands the products by taking spine courses and passing a spine test

Cons- It is sometimes hard to uphold to the "absolute responsiveness' that is part of the culture. It is great when you need an answer quickly, but it makes it hard to focus on a project.

Great place to work

Design Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly working environment, R&D and Marketing are closely integrated, development is close to the customer, the company makes a huge effort to promote a positive culture

ConsCompany culture can go too far sometimes - the positive and friendly culture seemed to have a way of manifesting into cliques for some groups. If you don't quite fit in, you will know.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue improving. During my time at Nuvasive, I saw a lot of growth and effort to build a strong company culture. Don't let up on this.

As an engineer, I saw some room for improvement with respect to the leveraging the power of ideas from a group over just an individual. There seemed to be a lot of celebrating an individual's achievements in development - not a bad thing, but incentives may lead away from tapping the collective power of a group and ultimately better design solutions.

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!