NuVasive Reviews

Reset
3.8
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Pros
  • The mission of the company is meaningful and Nuvasive has definitely changed spine surgery (in 8 reviews)

• Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work/life balance at this company (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

1. Best Places to Work

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs in San Diego, TX
    Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs in San Diego, TX

Pros

There are endless pros - High trust organization where people are held accountable, incredible culture that everyone is committed to

Cons

Incredibly high expectations and very demanding of its people; however, this isn't necessarily a con unless you can't survive in this type of environment. We are rewarded greatly for how hard we work.

Advice to Management

Keep committed to the culture and as the company grows it will become ever more difficult to maintain the amazing atmosphere and culture. You are doing an incredible job!

2. outstanding company!

Current Employee - Vice President R&D in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President R&D in San Diego, CA

Pros

solid leadership with outstanding technology

Cons

growing pains and recent legal setbacks

Advice to Management

listen to management input at all levels

3. Great people, excellent product, and free snacks to employees.

Former Employee - Procurement in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Procurement in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrific opportunity to work in leading edge medical technology. People are genuine and dedicated.

Cons

I was employed as a student and was let go prematurely because of a budget issue. In a company this large, a budget issue should be managed without sacrificing human capital, if at all possible (but three positions had to be eliminated to correct a deficit from the previous year.)

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time at NuVasive and would recommend them to someone as an excellent place to work. I am disappointed that my time there was cut short.

Innovative, Changing Lives, Challenging, AWESOME People!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking for an environment that allows you to change lives! You will be surrounded by people who are innovative, smart and determined. It is challenging work which is typically the type of work Cheetahs go after!

Cons

It's a fast paced- high output company ...sometimes that can be tough but I would rather be busy than bored!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people- they are your greatest resource!! It's the best way to becoming a $1B start up!

The right place for those who enjoy a challenge; for those who do not, keep looking.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NuVasive is not perfect; no company is. But if you enjoy working hard, taking your work personally and pushing yourself in support of a life-changing cause, then it is a very rewarding company. You won't just punch a clock and do your job in isolation; you will learn about the business in great detail (spinal anatomy, spinal pathologies & procedures, products and competition), and about how you personally influence the company's mission. You will be surrounded by very dedicated, very hard-working, passionate people who are 100% all in and who push you to be better. Standards are high, as are expectations; but most at NuVasive would have it no other way. It is what has made NuVasive the fastest growing company in spine, year-over-year, for the past decade.

Cons

High standards and expectations can be a double-edged sword. You will work harder than you likely have anywhere else, and you may take work home with you more than you like. Leadership is trying to emphasize "deletions" of activities, to create better balance; but there can still be periods of incredibly intense, almost mind-bogglingly high activity. Again, this is not an environment that suits everyone. If you want a complacent, steady environment, with little talk of "stretch" or "A Player Standards," where you can just do a job and leave, you will not enjoy the NuVasive experience at all. But if you want to test your limits against some of the best and brightest in the Spine industry, you will find NuVasive to be incredibly rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep working on narrowing the funnel of new initiatives. Vision and creativity are a huge pluses, which have driven NuVasive's success; but excessive creativity can lead to too much activity in too many directions, leading to burn out.

7. NuVa

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

No real cons that I can relay

During my tenure at NuVasive we have experienced industry leading growth and expansion through our continued innovation.

Current Employee - Sales Leadership in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leadership in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery. Organizational commitment to innovation and internal & external responsiveness. Industry best surgeon education & training programs to advance the adoption of less invasive spine surgery.

Cons

Operational challenges associated with rapid growth and expansion. Required integration and standardization of global business processes and systems.

Advice to Management

None

Best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing $700 million dollar "start up" with HUGE potential hiring "A" players. Undervalued stock with awesome ESPP program...!

Cons

Don't go here if you're dieting...tons of food everywhere...!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

An exciting whirlwind of an experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting growth happening in the company. Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees. A great place to be a part of a team with a common goal that encourages eachother daily. We work hard but we work hard with a purpose. NuVasive isn't for the weak of heart but it is extremely rewarding!

Cons

Traffic out of the Sorrento Valley office. NuVasive has gone through some small growing pains but the direction things are going is positive.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job - continue being open to change as we grow into a billion dollar start up.

NuVasive - great energy, better people, competitive atmosphere!

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simply put - prove yourself, grow your business, be an entrepreneur and opportunities will come knocking at NuVasive. The improvement in leadership in the last two years has created better alignment internally and the company seems to be firing on all cylinders.

Cons

Evolving from a small startup into a 'teenage' midsized company has presented some growing pains - all of which is a natural part of the growth curve when becoming a market contender.

RSS Feed </> Embed