NuVasive

Updated August 18, 2014

4.0

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov
Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 6 reviews)

• Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovatig company, awesome culture

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Great benefits, high salary, everyone is so passionate and really wants to change spine surgery. The culture here is very demanding but so rewarding, they help you learn but also expect 100% effort all the time. Everyone loves their job and gets options to do what they want, it really is like working for a start up that has $1 billion worth of resources. When they hire you, they are investing in you because they see value in you and your potential.

Cons

A lot is expected of employees and everyone is expected to be a clinical expert so the learning curve is fairly high. If you don't come from spine, it's like learning a whole new language but they invest so much into their employees. Because work is demanding, it can be hard to strike a work life balance, but everyone loves their work too much to care that it consumes their life.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working for a company that is fun, exciting, and committed to helping patients. The executives and the entire management are truly interested in keeping the enthusiasm alive. I also like working in a place where people actually care about doing a good job. A huge plus is the commitment to hire A-players. Working with a smart, motivated, and hard-working (and young!) group of people is a real pleasure. I don't get the sense that there is a competitive atmosphere here.
    I think the executives keep everyone informed about how the company is doing. I'm impressed with their openness. Even our most senior execs have open doors. The best thing is they all know how to make the job fun.
    I've recommended this company to my son and he's been working here for a year...and he loves it!

Cons

Traffic leaving the office in the afternoons is pretty bad (the flip-side is that management understands and is pretty flexible about work hours).
    HR is improving the benefits (which wasn't a big negative for me).

The Most Challenging but Rewarding Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

NuVasive has such a unique and family-like culture. Working in the med device industry, it is very competitive so the day-to-day is nonstop but extremely rewarding. You have the opportunity to wear many hats and be challenged in your role to further grow within the company. The extensive Purple Cheetah Spirit also furthers the unique and dynamic culture. While everyone is working at "Cheetah Speed," it is inspiring to be surrounded by other employees who also want to work to improve the spine industry. Lastly, the competitive benefits plan and a great health and wellness program are also perks of the company.

Cons

There is a great deal to learn as a new hire in your first few months. On top of learning your new role, you need to also study for the company's Spine Exam and pass with a 90% or above. Makes the first few months challenging but extremely helpful once you've passed so you feel even more involved as an employee (shareowner) knowing company products, procedures, and terminology.

Looking forward to NuVa 2.0!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is hugely supportive as a whole. If you are hired here, they want nothing but the best both for you and from you. The standards are extremely high, but you are given the tools, support and infrastructure to exceed expectations. As an employee, I feel valued, supported, respected, included, and very well compensated. They have no problem paying for top talent and will do what it takes to keep great people here. At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and know that my work is appreciated, recognized, and helpful.

Cons

This place is serious. If for some reason you make it past the interview stage and are not an "A Player", you will find out very quickly that this is not the company for you. Giving 100% is seen as the bare minimum. Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance. You will be pushed, casual fun is relegated to a couple of weeks a year, and things get stressful! But if you thrive on a fast-pace, high pressure and can wait months for the payoff, this is the place for you.

A few more opportunities to let our hair down, so to speak, would probably be beneficial. Frequent, concise communication regarding company-wide changes/initiatives would also cut down on some of the fear of the unknown.

Fun, Intelligent and Innovative People

Current Employee - Finance  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People here are very intelligent and know how to have fun. Innovative thinking is encouraged and rewarded. It is definitely a fast-paced company but that is what makes it challenging and exciting. People are always engaged and driven to learn more. The Absolute Wellness programs are excellent.

Cons

Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected. There has been strong support from management to improve systems and processes which has helped this issue considerably.

My experience at NuVasive has been exciting and professionally fulfilling.

I have been working at NuVasive as an intern

Pros

The best reasons to work here would be the people. Everyone is hardworking and a team player. There is also a lot of free food and good coffee which is nice. There is room for upward mobility within the company.

Cons

Challenges of working here would be the location, there is a lot of traffic during rush hours. Also, it is very fast paced which is a good thing but sometimes it can be overwhelming.

"NuVasive-Top Notch Leadership, Leading Spine Company, Awesome Company Culture!

Current Employee - Corporate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, Employees are really shreowners and tremendous room for upward mobility! Strong community involvement through the better way back program!

Cons

Can't think of any. It's real progressive company!

Dynamic, growing company -- a place where you can make a difference !

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

The enviornment and people are very welcoming and everyone goes out of their way to help new hires acclimate and learn. The pace is fast and expectations are high -- but it's rewarding working in an enviornment where everyone is a top performer (a.k.a. "A Player").

Cons

The workload can cause long hours at the office, but the satisfaction from the work and knowing you have an impact makes it tolerable, in my opinion.

Consider relaxing dress code--at least one day/week.

Motivating, encouraging and rewarding place to work.

I have been working at NuVasive

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful coworkers, ability to improve the business, small-company feel, opportunities for career growth, ability to see impact of business on improving patients' lives

Cons

High expectations for performance (quantity, quality and time of work), located in high traffic congested location, extensive interview process

AWSOME place to work.

Current Employee - Finance  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best company I have ever worked for by a long-shot! Senior leaders have a very clear strategy and I understand how my job helps NUVA be sucessful. The company and my manager are also helping me balance work needs with my personal/family life.

Cons

Cafe needs some improvement and more choices -- but satisfactory.

Great job -- keep it going!

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!