NuVasive

Updated August 18, 2014

4.0

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov
Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 6 reviews)

• Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Turn the other way and don't look back!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice campus, free snacks, nice co-workers, some great mangers, very smart people... The company is growing and it takes pride in their culture.

Cons

I have read previous posts and completely agree with come comments. This Company is simply "cultish!" There is absolutely NO regard to ones personal life.... understand that you will have ZERO time for your family.. it is run like a sweat shop. Your personal time is spent in huge company events with huge budgets that secretly.. not many want to attend.. everyone would just rather be home with their children.. but this Company expects you live it, eat it, sleep it and breathe it. I challenge you before you work here.. to ask about their turnover rate. Everyone quits.. Everyone gets fired and Everyone gets burnt out.

I advise you to stop spending so much money on Company events. Understand that people would love to be home with their family and not glued to their phones all of the time. While the events are nice.. I think they are less valued then you think.. however if someone speaks up about it.. they will no longer be viewed as an "A Player."

WORST PLACE.. Do not work here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

none that i can think of

Cons

They work you to death.. and if you don't drink the purple koolaid and have express any kind of independent thoughts you are outed... I've never seen a more cultish company in my life

Change the senior management

Not worth the long hours! No work/life balance at all!

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, nice people, corporate and departmental events, recognition for going above and beyond ("Spotties" or "Spot Awards"), ability to travel between offices at the expense of the company, education and gym reimbursement.

Cons

Multiple class action lawsuits against NuVasive which are currently in the court system, a multi million dollar judgment against NuVasive in the Medtronic lawsuit, spine exam (ridiculous to make people take it as a condition of employment and even more ridiculous to not reschedule it even though my department was heavily involved in the office move to the Lusk office and we had no time to study!). I can understand making client facing individuals take it but my department works "behind the scenes" and it was of no benefit to us whatsoever! And FYI, I didn't pass it the first (two) times that I took it and I am glad that I got "lost in the shuffle" and never had to retake it again! Also, the mentality of "you don't have to go but you have to go" in regards to team building exercises and corporate events stinks! What happened to work/life balance? You are driving your employees to burn out! I missed so many family events because I had to attend NuVasive functions. Furthermore, people don't need phone calls from executive staff asking why they didn't attend a corporate function. It's none of their business!

Listen to your employees more and allow them to spend more time with their families!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Merciless Cult That Will Bleed You Dry

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for learning about spine and breaking into the medical device industry. Take everything you can get, then find a better job. Stay two to three years. While you are there, talk about how everything the company culture states has made you a better (fill in the blank).

Cons

Management will burden you with blame. A stapler was thrown at the software team when we met in private to ask that claims to shield us from unrealistic timelines be met. (By the way, the impact of the stapler against the white board left a noticeable gouge as evidence). When we reported the incident we were told "don't worry about it." No changes. One individual drank on the job. At a medical device company! People's lives depend on the accuracy of the software. I reported the incidents (plural) and was layed off. I presented pictures I had taken. Call me a snitch, but I don't tolerate that behavior at a medical device company. NuVasive has become a victim of its own culture. I am actually very disappointed.

Management works well when you find the truth between desire and reality. Dictatorial demands backed by demeaning speeches negate your intent of motivation. At this point, too much damage has already been done. Too bad, because the philosophy of innovation that lead to an IPO has been supplanted by the proverbial baton. Management, "physician heal thyself".

Just terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at the Memphis office are nice
    Great opportunity if you just got out of college and need some experience. (Jump ship when you're ready and make more money b/c you won't make it there)

Cons

Under paid (they will try to pay you in RSU's that vest 5 years later)
    Over worked (80-90+) hours a week depending on which department you work in
    Management is terrible
    Promotion without salary increase
    Over promise and under deliver
    Constant litigation battles with competitors
    No direction
    Every year, a "perk" is removed
    Mandatory spine exam
    International offices and HQ barely communicate with each other which causes project delays
    Managers and directors who do not have direct reports (doesn't make sense)
    Upper management will speak to you as a friend, but talk behind your back
    Absolute mess

Be the management you were 6 years ago. Cut the fat with these directors and managers that don't do anything or do not have direct reports. Find out actually what directors and managers do on a day to day basis. There are plenty of people still there just coasting under the radar. Try to actually keep your employees happy rather than making them work for less money. Lastly, stop trying to give out RSU's to keep employees. It's nonsense.

Definitely consider your other options.

I worked at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Place to get experience within the medical device field
    Company pays for medical benefits for you (not your family as before)
    Many company activities
    Stock options (25% given each year, vested after 4 years of service)
    Company wide bonus (if numbers are met, of course)

Cons

The culture - It's very cult-like; conform to our ways or leave
    No 401K match
    Company wide spine test - absolutely has nothing to do with your job but they will force you to take it. Prepare to be scolded heavily if you don't make a 90 or above, no exceptions
    No clear career path
    Prepare to suck up to surgeons if you are in sales. The customer (i.e. surgeon) is always right (even if they are wrong) and this company will do ANYTHING to keep their business.
    CEO - Will force his political views on you via a series of email rants and presentations at corporate events. It is completely unprofessional.
    There has been a lot of turn over with upper management lately. Not a good sign.

Just say no

Current Employee - Developer  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Developer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at NuVasive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative, highly technical company, some good benefits if you work away from corporate, better benefits at corporate.

Cons

Overworked like I have never seen; small reward. Too hard to get anything accomplished due to management runaround. Overly strict corporate feeling, employees are not happy. Employment agreement includes taking a 75 question spine test that is a complete waste of company resources. Not a family oriented company.

Management is not in touch with employees, they live in their own world. Some many things are not getting done because no one can make a decision.

don't do it

I have been working at NuVasive

Pros

not a good company to work for

Cons

unrealistic sales expectations for sales reps

Drink our purple Kool-Aid!!

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Snack cabinets with junk food.
    -Nice gym and cafeteria on site.
    -Great location.
    -Cell phone (Blackberry also a con)

Cons

Biggest egos I've ever had to deal with! Pompous management that bases skill level off years of industry experience instead of actual knowledge. I saw a lot of extremely smart people shoved into a corner with no raise and no promotion because they weren't in the kiss-arse group, and didn't work every Sunday.
    You WILL work 60+ hours a week, and you will NOT be compensated for it. The culture is just another management tool like the A-Player attributes to keep you scared of losing your job. They have too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Get off your high horse! Promote engineers instead of just promoting execs.
    If your review doesn't even come close to your employee's self-review, it means there is a communication problem... not that the employee is mental.

Political - Not what you know but who you...

I worked at NuVasive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good initially (see Con 1 for why)

Cons

Raises are only given when promoted
    Very political
    Management does not want a change
    A-Players for employees, but not managers

Hire management from within. I personally encountered a manger who knew nothing about the basis of our department. Don't be fooled by smooth-talk. Look for evidence of experience and education related to the position.

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!