NuVasive

Updated January 20, 2015
4.0

NuVasive Chairman and CEO Alexis V. Lukianov
Alexis V. Lukianov

Pros
  • Colleagues with high performnance standards and a shared vision to advance spine surgery (in 8 reviews)

• Great culture and a company that really takes care of its employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be prepared for a heavier workload and less work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours are required of certain groups (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you get in, that's just the start! Time to raise your game!

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- friendly and incredibly intelligent co-workers
    - on-site facilities are great, gym, free goodies in the break room
    - flawless on boarding
    - great comp and benefits, including a very robust/intense training program
    - incredible growth

Cons

- Longer interview process, but keep in mind that they want to hire the right person for the right role, which can take time

Stay the course and keep employees & culture at the forefront of the company's priorities

Dirty and dishonest. Will do anything to get ahead including endangering patients.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Work 60 to 70 hrs per week. You are held responsible for the failures of other departments. Culture is phony

Find a conscience and stop treating people like cattle.

Stay away from the dysfunctional IT department

Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Benefits, good pay, on-site gym with trainers. Used to have a great ESPP program however that's changing.

Cons

The current state of IT is a disaster. Sr IT management has no clue what they are doing and in the process wasting company money. Unfortunately the Executive who oversees IT is not doing anything to prevent this. Recent new hires have been based on who they know and not what they know, its basically a good old boy system.
    If you are considering joining the NuVasive IT department, think twice.

Sr. IT Management needs to go, they are ruining the investment NuVasive has made in IT. The longer you allow them to continue, the more money its going to cost to fix it when they do leave.
    Practice what you preach, the hypocrisy is rampant.

NuVasive Response

Jan 23, 2015Senior Specialist, Talent Acquisition

NuVasive is a culture where absolute responsiveness and commitment to innovation are core aspects of our culture. We pride ourselves in our high performance culture and welcome critical thinkers who ... More

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I work with a fantastic group of people and the dynamic I've seen within this group is very rare. Management is very involved in work and even personal life as they constantly plan offsite events with friends and families. They definitely encourage work/life balance and flexibility in hours.

Cons

No cons at this time. I've only been there for less than a year.

Keep up the great work!

Young, Innovative and Exciting

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NuVasive is a great place to work and I actually enjoy coming to work every day. Long hours, and a lot is expected of you but most people who get hired at NuVasive know this (and want this) going into it.
    The products are first class and everyone truly cares about what NuVasive has to offer.
    There are always fun events and meetings and since the environment is pretty young and active it is easy to get along with everyone.
    Very competitive, but again, most people hired know this and want this.
    It takes a special type of person to work at NuVasive but if you are willing to work hard, compete with coworkers and ALWAYS be "on", then this is the place for you.

Cons

Pay is fairly low compared to other companies in the industry and even companies outside the medical industry. Considering how hard everyone works and how many hours we put in, it would be nice to be compensated a little more.
    Benefits are just okay.
    No 401K match, as others have said in previous posts.
    If pay and benefits are your driving factor when choosing a place to work, you may want to consider somewhere else.

Consider looking at pay scale and benefits to keep up with the "A" player employees you have hired.
    Other than that, keep up the great work.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, GREAT benefits, excellent training. Company makes great strides to promote vision and corporate mission, team building. Significantly invested in long term success of Shareholders. Amazing work-life balance. Company is innovative and recognizes successes/accomplishments both corporate and individual.

Cons

None that i can think of.

Keep up the good work.

Challenging careers, trusting co-workers, hands-on management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment with co-workers who have an inherent trust of one another, lift each other up, are eager to do a good job and all work toward a common goal to better patient lives. Flexible hours, desirable salaries and great benefits. The work is interesting, the people are warm, and the day-to-day is challenging, but very rewarding. Management is hands-on and encourages a work/life balance. Communication from the executives is consistent and transparent. If you are adaptable and enjoy working hard, apply!

Cons

Training of new employees needs more attention. Although new hires usually come with experience and skill sets, the company has grown so big, so quickly, the amount of information required to conduct day-to-day tasks could be enhanced with more detailed training of new hires.

Continue the increased communication and transparency, it is very refreshing. Consider forming a team to help with training of new hires in each department. Keep up the great benefits and competitive pay.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for a company that is fun, exciting, and committed to helping patients. The executives and the entire management are truly interested in keeping the enthusiasm alive. I also like working in a place where people actually care about doing a good job. A huge plus is the commitment to hire A-players. Working with a smart, motivated, and hard-working (and young!) group of people is a real pleasure. I don't get the sense that there is a competitive atmosphere here.
    I think the executives keep everyone informed about how the company is doing. I'm impressed with their openness. Even our most senior execs have open doors. The best thing is they all know how to make the job fun.
    I've recommended this company to my son and he's been working here for a year...and he loves it!

Cons

Traffic leaving the office in the afternoons is pretty bad (the flip-side is that management understands and is pretty flexible about work hours).
    HR is improving the benefits (which wasn't a big negative for me).

The Most Challenging but Rewarding Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NuVasive has such a unique and family-like culture. Working in the med device industry, it is very competitive so the day-to-day is nonstop but extremely rewarding. You have the opportunity to wear many hats and be challenged in your role to further grow within the company. The extensive Purple Cheetah Spirit also furthers the unique and dynamic culture. While everyone is working at "Cheetah Speed," it is inspiring to be surrounded by other employees who also want to work to improve the spine industry. Lastly, the competitive benefits plan and a great health and wellness program are also perks of the company.

Cons

There is a great deal to learn as a new hire in your first few months. On top of learning your new role, you need to also study for the company's Spine Exam and pass with a 90% or above. Makes the first few months challenging but extremely helpful once you've passed so you feel even more involved as an employee (shareowner) knowing company products, procedures, and terminology.

Looking forward to NuVa 2.0!

Best Job I've Ever Had!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is hugely supportive as a whole. If you are hired here, they want nothing but the best both for you and from you. The standards are extremely high, but you are given the tools, support and infrastructure to exceed expectations. As an employee, I feel valued, supported, respected, included, and very well compensated. They have no problem paying for top talent and will do what it takes to keep great people here. At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and know that my work is appreciated, recognized, and helpful.

Cons

This place is serious. If for some reason you make it past the interview stage and are not an "A Player", you will find out very quickly that this is not the company for you. Giving 100% is seen as the bare minimum. Because of that, it can be tough to strike a good work-life balance. You will be pushed, casual fun is relegated to a couple of weeks a year, and things get stressful! But if you thrive on a fast-pace, high pressure and can wait months for the payoff, this is the place for you.

A few more opportunities to let our hair down, so to speak, would probably be beneficial. Frequent, concise communication regarding company-wide changes/initiatives would also cut down on some of the fear of the unknown.