Nuance

Updated January 21, 2015
3.5

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 26 reviews)

• The pros of working at Nuance is they allow employees to work from home resulting in better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 24 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Have interesting projects, young environment

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit and compensation and time-off policies

Cons

Company doesn't pay overtime, and having cut-off twice per year

Research Engineer

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Flexible work environment, and very nice colleagues. The project is interesting and encourage the creativity of the stuff.

Cons

Not enough communications between different groups, so some cross-group problems take long time to solve.

Want to destroy your career? This could be your chance!

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, unless you consider the hours... Some intelligent individual contributors.
    It's a name on your resume

Cons

Where to start? Management is completely in the dark ages of management, a spider's nest of an environment.
    HR would sell their mother before supporting any action that could actually be good for an employee, paid executors of the management edicts.
    Directors and VPs taking credit for all the work, blaming their stupid decisions to individual contributors or their peers, no vision on products or customer satisfaction.
    The culture lives in the past: performance ratings once a year based on the infamous bell curve, promises by CEO of bonuses that Don't materialize, all in all, nothing is encouraging.
    Tons of process to instill any bit of positive change, no investment in future ideas, constantly in the rut of "just make it work for now", total disregard for metrics.
    Great majority of managers manage-up to their bosses and don't develop their employees... Unless they are part of their "exclusive circle"

Please disappear, you are disastrous!

Really good place to learn.

Current Employee - Applications Developer I in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer I in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, They work hard. 4 weeks of vacation since you got hired.

Cons

Difficult to grow. Too much people before you.

Some bright people, a lot of lacklustre managers

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent office location. Good benefits, On-par salary with Industry for the most part. ESPP plan. 4 weeks vacation for all Canadian workers.

Cons

Direction? With a CEO that has a Star Trek obsession but a lack of vision, a senior executive team fearful of the consequence of not conforming to his law and a layer of VP/Director that is mostly inept at managing anything but their own managers, the politics of this company will rival most countries. There is no accountability for anyone, priorities are scattered and tend to come right after a layoff round. Speaking of the layoff rounds, they are a regular occurrence.

There is a major outcry about the compensation package for the CEO (37 Million while the company was tanking) while the individual contributor saw their bonus package melt by approximately 50%+.

Did i mention politics?... oh yes.. I did...

Several executives have fled over the last 2 years meaning that there are changes coming. Will they be for the better... not if the CEO remains.

You like politics... time for a putsch. Get rid of the lack of vision, hire a real leader with a plan to grow the company, not just his salary base so that Nuance becomes what it boasts it is.. the best in the industry

Frustratingly chaotic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits (health insurance, vacation, stock purchase plans). Usually a good work/life balance. The office has a good location downtown. You can play with some of the best tech in speech recognition.

Cons

Product management has no vision. There is too much focus on R&D and IP, because R&D sucks at D (development) and nobody knows what to do with out IP other than selling their rights. Experience is the only thing that's recognized, not talent or quality. IT is incompetent. There are highly politically isolated groups, even years after a merger. Few good "vertical integration" engineers or "overall vision" managers; everybody's narrow-minded and isolated.

The lack of focus on quality will hurt us very soon. You cannot survive solely on half-baked products. There are many spectacular scientists and engineers in there: Listen to them rather than the mostly useless mid-managers.

Lots to do, but growth opportunities are limited

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The product line is ever expanding which means there is always stuff to learn and discover. The work is steady. The environment and culture is friendly. Flex time, for the most part. The potential for creating a forward thinking work place is there with the right leadership.

Cons

Little to no investment in continuing education or encouragement to learn new technologies. Very deadline focused. Under staffed. In some departments, there is little opportunity for advancement. Culture and values seem to get washed out in a corporate setting.

A ``360" performance review approach, that allows feedback from employees about their manager could be a leap forward to incurring some of the changes needed.

cushy with little perspective

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very comfortable place - benefits are at top level;

Cons

Management at all levels leaves much to be desired - company procreates all sorts of managerial roles while people who really do "the stuff" are pushed backward.

fair

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

flexibility of work environment, place to learn technologies

Cons

high work pressure, bad work/life balance

What a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The entire experience, from interviews to on-boarding to working in the job has been first rate. Everyone I've met or interacted with treated me with class and respect, and have been extremely supportive. The stated goal is to help me be successful in my job as quickly as possible, and I've seen nothing to refute that. My manager and the chain of command are great people to work for and with. I can't say enough.

Cons

working remotely from an office environment can make it difficult to establish the internal relationships need to accomplish some tasks, but in reality everyone tries very hard to help whenever I have asked for it.

keep doing what you're doing.