Nuance

Nuance Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci

Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager(in 23 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and the team leaders are great(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist(in 21 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying(in 16 reviews)

Nuance, the Wal-Mart of Medical Transcription

Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at home. The platform has good research capabilities. I love my account, but unfortunately everything is overshadowed by their terrible pay and FIESA QA system which is financially punitive.

ConsWell, my salary has halved in about 3 years. Admittedly, medical transcription is being outsourced, offshored, and technology has made ours a perilous profession, yet still it is a profession and quite skilled, yet at Nuance are all paid the same, no matter how many years experience you have or how good you are. The QA is terrible, they pick through your work with the seemingly sole reason to deny "bonus" - which used to be included in your pay and when you lose it, there is basically no motivation to work hard at all because you have been financially disincentivized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of FIESA, which is a horrible QA system pitting QA against MT with the sole objective of achieving bonuses impossible for MTs and making them feel like crap in the process. Upon taking over my prior company, you pared down the lph and then invented this idiotic system of jumping through hoops to get "bonus." Only really bad MTs should be subjected to pay docking (which, in effect, is what this is) for QA reasons, and those are usually easy to find because they are usually just plain careless or newbies.

Cut throat.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsYou can learn how not to treat employees by working here.

ConsI worked for an awesome company that was acquired by Nuance. There was a meeting where the acquisition announcement was made, where a talking head from Nuance told us that most of us would keep our jobs. A month later, about 90% of the engineers were either laid off on the spot or bribed with a bump in their severance amount to stick around for a few more months to do more work on the projects that were in progress. Meantime a group of incredibly rude and obnoxious engineers from their outsourced Budapest Hungary facility made visits, demanding to be stepped through code and "handing off of responsibility". Their level of arrogance and rudeness was appalling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to employees of companies you acquire. Instead of acquiring the technology and laying off all of the talent, how about setting a good example for American company practices and allowing the acquired company to continue operating the business successfully? Value your USA employees instead of outsourcing everything over seas. Do some checks and balances on your out sourced employee pool to see how they behave and treat others.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Anonymous (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThere is decent pay, but is outweighed by cons

ConsUpper management are self centered and inconsiderate. Have no interest in the employees who slave away while they collect aggressive payment for their extensive work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more humane

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decide What Experience/Knowledge you want, get it, and then move on to somewhere else.

Customer Support (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsTremendous talent among the ranks. Some incredible products/technology which can provide great learning opportunities. If you are self-directed and thrive on constant change you can reap personal benefits from the challenge.

ConsBecause of the continuous acquisition culture it is difficult to understand the direction or goals. Leadership at the top does little to clarify or inspire.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for either a change at the top, or at the very least, a change of tactics. Allow the rank and file to meaningfully contribute and feel valued. And share the wealth! (at least some of it!!)

Frankensteinian M&A monster with no vision.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAccess to cutting edge speech IP and groups integrated through acquisition. In terms of technology potential in the speech-centered zeitgeist, lots of promise…..

Cons….sadly, it's all an illusion. Nuance is fixated on the bottom line and penny-pinching. Terrible amounts of politicking in management, and consequently no room for a real vision or strategy. Sad, considering the bounty of IP at its disposal. An underperforming juggernaut.

Overall it has not been as positive as I hoped when I had joined.

Support Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThere is a good amount of learning with a lot of responsibilities. The pay is not great but not bad. Time off is average.

ConsManagement does not appreciate the effort. There is a lot of fault finding, and a general feeling is of frustration. They do not support much during the learning path, and you are on your own. Good performances will not necessarily be rewarded and the better people move to other teams and other organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to look at the reality. Obviously everyone will be walking out the exit door unless they appreciate the incredible efforts. If you think of management leading the way to set an example, that does not happen. They themselves do not know what to do in most situations but always want to correct others. Some of their performance metrics are not accurate. They need to appreciate the engineer's efforts more to encourage going on the right track, otherwise it would continue to be 1 step forward, and 1 step back.

An excruciating dive into a quasi-religious company focused on dancing to the CMS/ Medicare tune.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are a CDI clinician/ professional - they claim to have the best strategies for wringing every tax payer dollar out of the MEDICARE process by supporting better clinical documentation by the provider.

ConsGrueling travel - Sun through Thurs is quite typical.
    Low end pay scale for intensive consulting work
    Testing to make sure you understand their strategies for clinical documentation and, if you don't score exactly at the right point - Bye Bye!
    You have to dress in suits and skirts for men and women - only dark colors. All the time.
    You must prove you have clinical skills by taking a clinical competency exam.
    Mid level management is passive aggressive, insecure and predatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter support would lead to better retention of your team.

It has been very open, honest and striving to do better

Director Technical Services (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe team members are very knowledgeable, helpful and generally have a good direction on where their team fits in where the company is going.

ConsWith so many people remote or in other locations at times hard to really see how all the teams fit together.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have all US new hires to come to Burlington, learn the company, understand the goals and then send the team members back to their homes or other business sites.

Nuance is a vey innovative company with teams that are very welcoming.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI am new to the organization and work remotely. During this introductory period I have felt empowered to think freely and bring ne ideas to the table of discussion. The teams that I work with seem to very knowledgeable and inspiring.

ConsAt this point, there are no negative feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementFairy new and would not be able to give constructive advice to management.

You have got to be kidding me!!

ProsNONE. You cannot treat people like machines and expect to get results.

ConsAnother shell game. All of the "underlings" in this company are actually writing reviews on "another" page supposedly based in California. Looks like if you work at the corporate office, you are doing great, having fun, getting raises. I would not be wrong in suggesting that the "underlings" are paying your nice salaries and great benefits because they cut our pay and cut our benefits. We are teaching your software!! and you have the nerve to treat us like we are a drag on you! Just look at M-Model and you will see what is in store for you... KARMA, KARMA, KARMA. It is surely coming your way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is the use, no one listens, responds, or cares.

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!