Nuance

Nuance Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci

Paul A. Ricci

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Pretty good benefits and most people that i work with are great"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist"
    in 20 reviews
  • "HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very fractured company

Quality (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits offered are decent, including PTO to part-time employees. Interesting technology products. Lots of potential.

ConsThe PTO benefit is almost useless since taking PTO is very challenging. When you do take PTO it is expected that you stay in contact. If you don't stay in contact, it is known because your inbox will overflow and begin sending bounce messages.

Compensation is only ok. Bonuses are paid in stock options, which is not good when the company's stock is so volatile.

There is lots of potential, which is evident by looking at the job postings. However, it is nearly impossible to get an interview, even if you have completed all the education and training available to part of the company in order to qualify. Yes, just part of the company has assess to the training. The NTS portion of the company does not have access to the educational programs Nuance offers.

The company truly feels fractured, which becomes apparent when researching and reading reviews on this company. There is no continuity and definitely no ultimate goal the company is pulling toward. The company culture is a puzzle. They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist. Senior and executive management seems to be at cross purposes from middle managers and the workers. Truly, there are too many levels of management at this company. Simply way too many chiefs, many of whom are not good planners or communicators which is part of the fractured feel. Discussing concerns with management, even HR, only ends up putting the individual in the cross hairs. As one person noted in another review, they may listen, but they don't hear the concerns. They have acquired too many companies and not completed integration of many, which is likely part of the issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a realistic goal and move the company towards the goal. Yes, a company with different divisions can have a single goal. Communicate clearly with the entire company. Offer all the divisions the same training opportunities. Develop and implement a continuity plan so that people can take real PTO rather than just "burning" days so they don't lose them. This is very important because no one at any level is indispensable.

This is a great company to work for!

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Burlington, MA

ProsExciting cutting edge technology. It has been very stable. with many growth opportunities. Training is available to keep current in both the technical world and the business word. The ability to work remotely allows for a self motivated person to really flourish. It is a mid to large company with the personal management feel of a small company. You do get to know your managers and your team. This allows you to realize the impact you have on the company even though you may work from a remote location.

ConsI have no complaints after working here for more then 10 years

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leading the way.

Good Technology company led poorly

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGeneral
    - Great Technology and have some great Products
    - Own many key patents in the distruptive Speech technology (- Some Business Units are having strong growth.

Benefits
    - Telecommute. This helps work life balance to some extend. But you work load keep you rethinking if Remote Work really helps
    - 4 Weeks Vacation (But note that this will inlude your Sick Days too)

Cons- Fails to reward Employees for the success
    - CEO and Executive Management takes fat paycheck and they try to defend the meager Bonus and pay hike they hand over even in stellar growth years.
    - Lack of Work Life Balance even though Telecommuting
    - Poor 401K match
    - Health plan is not really great compared to other similar Tech companies. Get ready to pay a good amount as employee share. Benefist doing poor job in negotating best plans but try to market it well.
    - Professional Services is considerd World Class but it depends on which part of the Oganization you are. The main aim is get teh Work Done "Somehow" rather than doing it the right way and more efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementWas wondering if you are really taking look at Employee SAT Surveys and taking any actions .

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

ProsLeading edge technology, very exciting and fast paced.

ConsVery poor life work balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Indians and less chiefs.

Fun, rewarding and challenging workplace

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Burlington, MA

ProsNuance is a true pay for performance environment. Not only was my base and bonus generous for my level of experience, but in the time I have worked at Nuance I have been recognized numerous times for above and beyond performance which has not been the case with my past employers.

ConsCompany politics can be a very big distraction from the business at hand. High level leadership is out of touch from the reality of the employees and the company. When employees get burnt out, the company buys their loyalty to stay instead of improving the overall experience from the very beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a pulse on the culture of the company and begin to factor in the internal population when making business decisions. The employees don't need to be the challenge, make them part of the solutions/success and then reward them accordingly.

My experience at this company was very good, and got to work with some great people.

QA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are good opportunities to advance your a career. Management is very supportive of your ideas and suggestions. Telecommuting is permitted, flexible schedule. The company offers good benefits, and also provide additional training to continue learning new skills. You get to work with some great people from all over the world.

ConsThere is a lot of work, and not enough resources. Long hours of work is required to meet the project deadlines.

Not the best, not the worst.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsCompany culture is decent, fun company activities, exciting product lines.

ConsWork/Life Balance is not very good - frequently working extra hours. Innovation opportunity, at least from my perspective is minimal, very driven by the architect and only by the architect.
    Missed bonus target this year. Little opportunity to fix things processwise that are broken - "feature feature feature!" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a team says 'we really need to fix these things in order to help us be more efficient' - listen to them. Don't say 'hard to sell that to management.'

No Work Life Balance

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has great technology. Smart co-workers.

ConsNo work life balance. Expect you have to skip lunch, work overtime, and let go your PTO. The deadline was keeping changing: from 7 weeks to 4 weeks and then they think you should complete in 2 weeks. No explanation, no appreciation. My manager constantly blamed me for her own mistakes. Her mood swings a thousand times a day. One guidance I got from her I can never forget: "You can not use an Excel to examine an Excel. You need to use a calculator."

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen direct and one-on-one communication with your staff.

Cobbled together series of acquisitions without a clear vision for growth and synergy.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Burlington, MA

ProsSome of the people, flexible work schedule.

ConsCulture of blame and bullying. Billion dollar start up saddled with an excessive amount of debt, goodwill, and intangible assets on the balance sheet. Bonus and compensation not consistently applied across divisions and arbitrarily determined based upon the good ol' boy network. Turnover is high. Morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the cultural divide between the haves and the have-nots. Stop lining your own pockets at the expense of others bearing no responsibility for your poor business direction and decisions. Get rid of incompetent senior management clinging to the old Scansoft days. The organization is rotting from the neck up. Time for a change.

Short Term Management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood location. Nice office. Benefits are pretty decent.

ConsManagement doesn't seem to be building long term value in the company. Everything is very short sited. They buy a company squeeze as much revenue out of it and slowly kill it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building long term value

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!

Nuance Videos

Nuance – Why Work for Us?

At Nuance, we’re the people who make voice work. We design and deliver intuitive technologies that help people live and work more intelligently. We provide the tools to inform, to connect, and to empower people to be… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nuance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nuance CEO Paul A. Ricci. All 289 reviews posted anonymously by Nuance employees.