Nuance

Nuance Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci

Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 23 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and the team leaders are great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 21 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

sales

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosflexible, earning potential, great product

Consdisorganized, poorly run, no consistency

Advice to Senior Managementwork better together

Lots of great people, but oppressive atmosphere

Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLeads the industry in market share, lots of smart people

ConsI left because I would have needed to sign a noncompete. Nuance is infamous for taking people and companies to court and I didn't want to be locked into staying at Nuance or exiting the field. Some people are OK with this; I wasn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would bite the bullet and massively shed costs now. It will hurt, but the overall company cost structure is too high for the future of the business to support.

Good company with a bag full of cutting-edge technologies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work-life balance here is great. If you're up for a challenge innovate and pitch in ideas for the current repertoire of technologies the company owns or buys through many acquisitions, working here can be fun and satisfying.

ConsThings can be a bit slow here, many development processes are still being done in an old-fashioned way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Epitome of Dilbert Land

ProsGreat benefits, some good people.

ConsToo many seem to be hiding behind corporate rules and procedures to avoid working, the company as a whole seems to have no direction. They fancy themselves a competitor to Google in some ways, but have no concept of what that really entails i so many ways. They are busy adding more red tape instead of eliminating it. Still making the transition to the Internet era. The company probably should be split up, there are too many pieces of the company that are unrelated to each other to have a coherent strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate red tape, empower employees, demand results, fix the under-resourced departments, hire those who can get things done, fire those who can't, fire unneeded middle managers and project managers, focus, loosen the purse strings, get things done.

TSM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the team i was working with.

ConsVery 'old girl' system, COMs do not back up staff, corporate bully's abound. Managed by managers with no transcription experience. The morale is horrible. Employees with Nuance for a while are very arrogant and condescending. Pay was decent. Constantly changing policies before current ones are used long enough to assess. They have bought so many companies on the transcription side that it's a free for all developing policies. Platform very manual and time consuming for middle managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of a lot of the COMS who will not listen and are so full of themselves. Get higher managers who have MT experience and can hold people accountable. Quit throwing everyone under a bus.

Account Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, brand recognition for Dragon is strong. Excellent vision for solutions

ConsBig company that buys up a lot of other companies hoping they will fit the vision...often doesn't work out the way they had planned and the technology in turn is not satisfactory or even available for clients when the market is hot

Advice to Senior ManagementMake quicker internal decisions in order to provide clients with viable solutions

Company with broad portfolio of Intellectual property and some great customer brands

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNiche leader in voice. Relatively unrivaled in what it does.

ConsBreadth of divisional portfolios creates challenges for corporate message. Potentially at least one Business unit might be non strategic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on being best in class. Keep shifting to cloud. Keep R&D at health ratio of expense.

Low pay for medical language specialists

Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee)

ProsI'm able to work from home and the team leaders are great.

ConsI am a medical language specialist. Actually I work for Nuance Transcription Services, a division of Nuance. They have bought many large transcription companies and have cut everyones pay. I still have to use the outdated speech recognition engine and platform as the company they purchased. We get paid almost half as much per line for SR work. It is a lie that VR makes us able to produce work twice as fast. At best it is 30% faster for a slow typist.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your medical language specialists and pay them a fair wage.

Demanding but rewarding. Every year a merit increase was received. Not many companies offer that.

Applications Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits, employee culture, and benefits.

ConsDifficult to balance life and work due to 100 percent travel.

A learning experience from a professional corporate company.

Intern (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe pay was great and the company benefits was nice, as well. The atmosphere for working was professional and a lot of fun stuff goes on at Nuance.

ConsSome of the work was stressful and you learn a lot at one time so it can be a lot to take in when working within SalesForce.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the SalesForce tutorials because it helps out a lot when first learning how to work through the database.

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!