www.nuance.com

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 26 reviews)

• The pros of working at Nuance is they allow employees to work from home resulting in better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 24 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Excelent place to work!

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Great environment! Potential for growth.

Cons

A little underpaid base pay

Former Employee - Global Systems Analyst in Melbourne Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Global Systems Analyst in Melbourne Gardens, FL

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Great morale, culture, atmosphere, free food, working conditions

Cons

Not always enough time to complete customer requests in a timely manner

Treat all employees equal

Love what I do, wish there was more support.

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Industry leading provider of integral systems within the healthcare field

Cons

Long hours with little compensation. Quota's astronomical with the expectation of endless internal meetings which greatly hinder the attempt to reach quota.

I understand that remote employees are something sort of new and up and coming, but my manager puts micro-manger all-stars to shame, she is literally legendary status. Invest in eating your own dog food as the saying goes...Nuance is a multi-billion dollar company with the back-end systems of a start-up on a shoe-string budget.

I may have paid them to work there!

Current Employee - Transcriptionist, Editor in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist, Editor in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In retrospect the only reason I can think of to work at Nuance would be for a newbie transcriptionist to get actual on-the-job experience.

Cons

I was told by my TCM (supervisor) that I was on a list of employees whose production and accuracy made them eligible to go to the next level, proofer. But I didn't stay. I'd put a huge effort into the job, learning and balancing many new systems daily, dictators so difficult no proofer could help, all of which would have been just part of the job, but what made it impossible was a paycheck that was less than a co-worker's daughter's first fast food job. I was performing consistently in the top 3-4 out of 25-30 coworkers but I was skipping supper because I couldn't afford groceries. The punishing culture caused employees at different levels to undermine each other! This company exploited my skills as a transcriptionist to be able to charge their clients (hospitals) big money for my work and pay me peanuts.

Happy employees are good for business!

Two-and-a-half-years of struggle. Learned a bunch though.

Former Employee - Senior Revenue Accountant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Revenue Accountant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't terrible and Nuance's name carries weight on your resume. Nuance is known as a demanding and challenging workplace. I agreed to work there knowing it would be a short-term stop and nothing more than a stepping stone to a bigger role.

Cons

Management was focused solely on getting through the next close and had very little desire to develop staff. Because of that people do a few years and move on. There are long hours during quarter-ends. Twelve hour days during a quarter-end are the norm (QE closes last at least two weeks). In addition to the long days you were expected to work at least one full Saturday. In exchange for working a Saturday you'd receive a "comp day" to use but you'll receive considerable push back from management when trying to use them!

Health insurance is marginal at best and relatively expensive.

This is directed to the management team of the finance organization. There are a bunch of managers and very few leaders. Don't just focus on getting through the next close. You need to align the goals of your teams and the goals of the company. I always felt like I was just another tool you'd use to get through a close. Because of that I was never engaged and every day would look forward to leaving the company.

My company was acquired by Nuance, we were treated fairly

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My company was acquired by Nuance and they treated us fairly in the acquisition. People I have dealt with seem nice and professional..
    Salary and benefits are fair.

Cons

Company has made a LOT of acquisitions, seems like they are having some trouble keeping track.

Company is going through a lot of change. Changes could be communicated better to employees.

Nuance Upper management

Current Employee - Principal Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Manager readily allowed me to work from home 3-4 days. Technology has made it all possible.

Cons

No vision for the future, people always stepping on your toe. No progress allowed, asking for promotion seems like i am asking them to step down.

Felt like I was out in the sea with 100s of other people including QA.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really think that they produce quality transcription.

Cons

I felt like in order to set up a meeting with my supervisor I had to do it weeks ahead.. I really would have liked more feedback along with how to remedy where I might have been going wrong.

I feel that using an Instant Messing program would be a great asset to your company.

Research intern

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Great working atmosphere, excellent collages, good pay

Cons

HR people were not responding!

Great company, promising future, lacks brand name recognition

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding technology stack with an impressive patents portfolio, a lot of talent, dedicated staff and management. Competitive compensation package, at par with the market. Great work life balance. I don't get all the Naysayers!

Cons

Suffers from lack of brand name recognition especially with investors, resulting in it's stock taking quite a beating in recent years. Can do better at employee development, lacks standardization and processes.

Need to work on improving company image and sell it's brand name well.