Nuance

Updated November 21, 2014
3.2

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 26 reviews)

• The pros of working at Nuance is they allow employees to work from home resulting in better work life balance (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 24 reviews)

• Corporate politics is brutal within mid-to-upper management (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Decide What Experience/Knowledge you want, get it, and then move on to somewhere else.

Former Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous talent among the ranks. Some incredible products/technology which can provide great learning opportunities. If you are self-directed and thrive on constant change you can reap personal benefits from the challenge.

Cons

Because of the continuous acquisition culture it is difficult to understand the direction or goals. Leadership at the top does little to clarify or inspire.

Time for either a change at the top, or at the very least, a change of tactics. Allow the rank and file to meaningfully contribute and feel valued. And share the wealth! (at least some of it!!)

Nuance, the Wal-Mart of Medical Transcription

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Working at home. The platform has good research capabilities. I love my account, but unfortunately everything is overshadowed by their terrible pay and FIESA QA system which is financially punitive.

Cons

Well, my salary has halved in about 3 years. Admittedly, medical transcription is being outsourced, offshored, and technology has made ours a perilous profession, yet still it is a profession and quite skilled, yet at Nuance are all paid the same, no matter how many years experience you have or how good you are. The QA is terrible, they pick through your work with the seemingly sole reason to deny "bonus" - which used to be included in your pay and when you lose it, there is basically no motivation to work hard at all because you have been financially disincentivized.

Get rid of FIESA, which is a horrible QA system pitting QA against MT with the sole objective of achieving bonuses impossible for MTs and making them feel like crap in the process. Upon taking over my prior company, you pared down the lph and then invented this idiotic system of jumping through hoops to get "bonus." Only really bad MTs should be subjected to pay docking (which, in effect, is what this is) for QA reasons, and those are usually easy to find because they are usually just plain careless or newbies.

Frankensteinian M&A monster with no vision.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to cutting edge speech IP and groups integrated through acquisition. In terms of technology potential in the speech-centered zeitgeist, lots of promise…..

Cons

….sadly, it's all an illusion. Nuance is fixated on the bottom line and penny-pinching. Terrible amounts of politicking in management, and consequently no room for a real vision or strategy. Sad, considering the bounty of IP at its disposal. An underperforming juggernaut.

Overall it has not been as positive as I hoped when I had joined.

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a good amount of learning with a lot of responsibilities. The pay is not great but not bad. Time off is average.

Cons

Management does not appreciate the effort. There is a lot of fault finding, and a general feeling is of frustration. They do not support much during the learning path, and you are on your own. Good performances will not necessarily be rewarded and the better people move to other teams and other organizations.

They need to look at the reality. Obviously everyone will be walking out the exit door unless they appreciate the incredible efforts. If you think of management leading the way to set an example, that does not happen. They themselves do not know what to do in most situations but always want to correct others. Some of their performance metrics are not accurate. They need to appreciate the engineer's efforts more to encourage going on the right track, otherwise it would continue to be 1 step forward, and 1 step back.

I don't have an opinion

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marble Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marble Falls, TX

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonuses, coworkers, TSM and TLs

Cons

Changes, cuts in pay, learning curves

No thanks

It has been very open, honest and striving to do better

Current Employee - Director Technical Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director Technical Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team members are very knowledgeable, helpful and generally have a good direction on where their team fits in where the company is going.

Cons

With so many people remote or in other locations at times hard to really see how all the teams fit together.

I would have all US new hires to come to Burlington, learn the company, understand the goals and then send the team members back to their homes or other business sites.

You have got to be kidding me!!

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE. You cannot treat people like machines and expect to get results.

Cons

Another shell game. All of the "underlings" in this company are actually writing reviews on "another" page supposedly based in California. Looks like if you work at the corporate office, you are doing great, having fun, getting raises. I would not be wrong in suggesting that the "underlings" are paying your nice salaries and great benefits because they cut our pay and cut our benefits. We are teaching your software!! and you have the nerve to treat us like we are a drag on you! Just look at M-Model and you will see what is in store for you... KARMA, KARMA, KARMA. It is surely coming your way.

What is the use, no one listens, responds, or cares.

Nuance is a vey innovative company with teams that are very welcoming.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am new to the organization and work remotely. During this introductory period I have felt empowered to think freely and bring ne ideas to the table of discussion. The teams that I work with seem to very knowledgeable and inspiring.

Cons

At this point, there are no negative feedback.

Fairy new and would not be able to give constructive advice to management.

Worst Company I've ever worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My hiring manager - great guy and had the good sense to leave

Cons

Egotistical management, acquisition crazy with no idea how to integrate. Tell newly acquired organizations there is no plan to reduce staff then lay off 60% 4 weeks later. Internal systems a nightmare and don't even use their own technology internally.

Why give advice, they don't listen.

An excruciating dive into a quasi-religious company focused on dancing to the CMS/ Medicare tune.

I worked at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a CDI clinician/ professional - they claim to have the best strategies for wringing every tax payer dollar out of the MEDICARE process by supporting better clinical documentation by the provider.

Cons

Grueling travel - Sun through Thurs is quite typical.
    Low end pay scale for intensive consulting work
    Testing to make sure you understand their strategies for clinical documentation and, if you don't score exactly at the right point - Bye Bye!
    You have to dress in suits and skirts for men and women - only dark colors. All the time.
    You must prove you have clinical skills by taking a clinical competency exam.
    Mid level management is passive aggressive, insecure and predatory.

Better support would lead to better retention of your team.