Nuance Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
3.2

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 25 reviews)

• If you are a work-from-home mom, this is a really nice place to be since there are lots of flexibility (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 23 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Summer Internship

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Have a strong sense of belief in this company. They have struggled a bit but I think they have a lot of smart people and fantastic technologies.

Cons

Could be more culture to office life.
    Building is old and could use updating for the current employees.

Don't fall for it

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people seem to have a good job here. Pay is ok but get it when you join, or your screwed. Raises are non existent.

Cons

Can't stand the "pass the buck" mentality. Upper management is to greedy. CEO stated he's only here for the money basically. There are many articles out there backing up that management is taking 90% of operating $$.
    No room for growth. HR is a complete joke and doesn't do anything that I can see. A lot of people in HR and recruiting wont even reply to internal emails. No accountability at all here. So far it's all been lies. The outside view is all smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't be surprised if they had employees posting here anonymously giving 5 stars just to bring their average up.

Retire! you have enough money already.. we need someone to look out for the future.

Exceting and interesting place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time for less than a year

Pros

People in the field are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

Process maybe a bit complicate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Does not care

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is interesting technology they are working on and some interesting projects to get involved

Cons

The management clearly does not care about the employees. They lay off people every quarter to balance the books. It is also clear their decisions to lay off which people are based on age. They seem to lay off older people at or above 50 years old and then the next quarter seem to hire a 25-30 year old person to fill their job left vacant. There is no growth opportunities unless you are young and can really kiss a south end of a person. They give lip service to a family/job balance but then are only are interested in you if you can put in 50-60 hour weeks. The benefits are VERY expensive... costing the employees over 500 bucks a month for the plans. The 401K matching is a joke.

Get some ethics and support your employees.

Good/Bad

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Pay for performance structure works.. those who are performing get paid for it.

Cons

There is a crazy amount of nepotism and bias towards friends and family members who work at Nuance. The close friends will get well-above average raises when other team members who may even have equal or higher performance ratings get the standard raise. It's amazing no one has brought this up yet. I've heard the biggest culprit is HR itself so they're not going to be of any help. It creates terrible inequities within teams and we end up losing the best workers because they know others are getting bigger rewards simply because of their relationships with the next level up.

Stop giving a blind eye to raises and equity grants to people who don't deserve them but receive them because of their "relationships" to people. It mostly the employees who have been at Nuance for a few years who are more entitled than Hollywood.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time

Pros

I did learn a lot and grow professionally, but the environment is stressful. There are many bright people who want to do a good job, just not empowered to do so.

Cons

Very political and micro managed. Company lacked a focus and strategy. Certain departments were quite toxic and harsh.

Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

The opportunity to own your business, Autonomy

Cons

Micro Management has taken over

You've got to be kidding me.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, interesting technology.

Cons

Pretty much every aspect of this company. This company is layers of schizophrenic management and products, combined with a toxic atmosphere shame/fear based 'culture' that will have you walking on eggshells and looking over your shoulder 24/7. Fear-mongering, cruelty, insanity, chaos, dishonor and disrespect (backstabbing) are the norm. Prepare to be humiliated or shamed almost every day by your manager, even when you do something correctly.

I've been in the business for almost a decade, and I've never seen a place run like this. Nothing makes sense at this place. No organization, no communication, no clear goals, I don't even understand one single product we own or sell. Everything seems on the 'inside', which means unless you 'know someone', you will never really learn anything or get anywhere in this company. The only consistent part of your work schedule is the fun 'newsletter' emails once in a while reminding you how 'bad the current economy/business situation is' which is business speak for 'sorry, no raise'.

If you're an engineer or developer, prepare for pure frustration. Horribly outdated tools running on sub-par hardware at your disposal. You're going to burn yourself out real quick trying to produce anything useful on the systems you're provided. Desktops and workstations that are a decade or more old are your mainstay development or production machine. Oh, and be prepared to get yelled at because you didn't deliver by yesterday. Your fault.

There's also this 'big data' part of the company that has recently reared its ugly head. This is mostly likely going to put the nail in the coffin when they blow out all the funds on this mismanaged disaster. It's a fashionable attempt to create a 'big data storage facility' with database driven internals similar to your large scale Amazon/Google clusters and such. Nice try keeping up with the cool kids.

Out of touch CEO, employees who act like and are treated like stepchildren. Absolutely bizarre behavior on every level. All interaction is surface and quirky. Don't use words like 'hello' or 'good morning' or prepare to have your face chewed off. Zero accountability on every level. Remarkably low professionalism.

I used to love working here at first, but then the illusion eventually faded and I sadly realized that I'm just slogging away in a slave pit for a Google/Apple wanna-be with a CEO who apparently makes millions from our efforts, though how this is actually achieved is still a mystery.

Only come here if you want to flush your career and life down the toilet. You'll never see the light of day or your family. Management isn't looking out for you, in fact, no one will be looking out for you.

Don't work here. If you do still work here, I suggest you cut tail and run like your pants are on fire.

Upper management won't read this, and even if they do, they don't care what you or I or the regular employee think.

The only thing I could possibly add is maybe trim the entire workforce down to a few hundred well-trained people. This would include management, sales, engineers. Get back to basics and become a solid technology company with stand-alone products that shine. Have some integrity and stop playing the shell game buying up other smaller companies and treating your current employees so poorly.

I know some of the people who actually innovate on the inside and you are totally missing the boat with their talent. They would make this company shine. You're making some huge mistakes.

Present day, this company doesn't stand a chance no matter how many other little companies they try to gobble up.

Unlimited opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth, challenging environment and most of all.....the people!!! The company is growing rapidly and they are making good business decisions to keep up the business support in place to accommodate the growth. You can't move forward if you have old processes and are resistant to streamlining processes....you will only end up going backward in the long run. The people genuinely love their job. Pay is comparable to market/area.

Cons

Lots of work but just gotta be ready!! Thanking God for the opportunity....I'm up for the challenge!

Keep listening to the employees.....you'll only keep them on your side.....and remember...you need them!

Fun, rewarding and challenging workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nuance is a true pay for performance environment. Not only was my base and bonus generous for my level of experience, but in the time I have worked at Nuance I have been recognized numerous times for above and beyond performance which has not been the case with my past employers.

Cons

Company politics can be a very big distraction from the business at hand. High level leadership is out of touch from the reality of the employees and the company. When employees get burnt out, the company buys their loyalty to stay instead of improving the overall experience from the very beginning.

Get a pulse on the culture of the company and begin to factor in the internal population when making business decisions. The employees don't need to be the challenge, make them part of the solutions/success and then reward them accordingly.

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!