Nuance

Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 26 reviews)

• The pros of working at Nuance is they allow employees to work from home resulting in better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 24 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of great people, but oppressive atmosphere

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leads the industry in market share, lots of smart people

Cons

I left because I would have needed to sign a noncompete. Nuance is infamous for taking people and companies to court and I didn't want to be locked into staying at Nuance or exiting the field. Some people are OK with this; I wasn't.

I would bite the bullet and massively shed costs now. It will hurt, but the overall company cost structure is too high for the future of the business to support.

Good company with a bag full of cutting-edge technologies

I worked at Nuance

Pros

The work-life balance here is great. If you're up for a challenge innovate and pitch in ideas for the current repertoire of technologies the company owns or buys through many acquisitions, working here can be fun and satisfying.

Cons

Things can be a bit slow here, many development processes are still being done in an old-fashioned way.

Low pay for medical language specialists

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm able to work from home and the team leaders are great.

Cons

I am a medical language specialist. Actually I work for Nuance Transcription Services, a division of Nuance. They have bought many large transcription companies and have cut everyones pay. I still have to use the outdated speech recognition engine and platform as the company they purchased. We get paid almost half as much per line for SR work. It is a lie that VR makes us able to produce work twice as fast. At best it is 30% faster for a slow typist.

Value your medical language specialists and pay them a fair wage.

Demanding but rewarding. Every year a merit increase was received. Not many companies offer that.

Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, employee culture, and benefits.

Cons

Difficult to balance life and work due to 100 percent travel.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance

Pros

There is decent pay, but is outweighed by cons

Cons

Upper management are self centered and inconsiderate. Have no interest in the employees who slave away while they collect aggressive payment for their extensive work.

Be more humane

Cut throat.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I worked at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn how not to treat employees by working here.

Cons

I worked for an awesome company that was acquired by Nuance. There was a meeting where the acquisition announcement was made, where a talking head from Nuance told us that most of us would keep our jobs. A month later, about 90% of the engineers were either laid off on the spot or bribed with a bump in their severance amount to stick around for a few more months to do more work on the projects that were in progress. Meantime a group of incredibly rude and obnoxious engineers from their outsourced Budapest Hungary facility made visits, demanding to be stepped through code and "handing off of responsibility". Their level of arrogance and rudeness was appalling.

Don't lie to employees of companies you acquire. Instead of acquiring the technology and laying off all of the talent, how about setting a good example for American company practices and allowing the acquired company to continue operating the business successfully? Value your USA employees instead of outsourcing everything over seas. Do some checks and balances on your out sourced employee pool to see how they behave and treat others.

Decide What Experience/Knowledge you want, get it, and then move on to somewhere else.

Former Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous talent among the ranks. Some incredible products/technology which can provide great learning opportunities. If you are self-directed and thrive on constant change you can reap personal benefits from the challenge.

Cons

Because of the continuous acquisition culture it is difficult to understand the direction or goals. Leadership at the top does little to clarify or inspire.

Time for either a change at the top, or at the very least, a change of tactics. Allow the rank and file to meaningfully contribute and feel valued. And share the wealth! (at least some of it!!)

A learning experience from a professional corporate company.

Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great and the company benefits was nice, as well. The atmosphere for working was professional and a lot of fun stuff goes on at Nuance.

Cons

Some of the work was stressful and you learn a lot at one time so it can be a lot to take in when working within SalesForce.

Keep the SalesForce tutorials because it helps out a lot when first learning how to work through the database.

Nuance, the Wal-Mart of Medical Transcription

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Working at home. The platform has good research capabilities. I love my account, but unfortunately everything is overshadowed by their terrible pay and FIESA QA system which is financially punitive.

Cons

Well, my salary has halved in about 3 years. Admittedly, medical transcription is being outsourced, offshored, and technology has made ours a perilous profession, yet still it is a profession and quite skilled, yet at Nuance are all paid the same, no matter how many years experience you have or how good you are. The QA is terrible, they pick through your work with the seemingly sole reason to deny "bonus" - which used to be included in your pay and when you lose it, there is basically no motivation to work hard at all because you have been financially disincentivized.

Get rid of FIESA, which is a horrible QA system pitting QA against MT with the sole objective of achieving bonuses impossible for MTs and making them feel like crap in the process. Upon taking over my prior company, you pared down the lph and then invented this idiotic system of jumping through hoops to get "bonus." Only really bad MTs should be subjected to pay docking (which, in effect, is what this is) for QA reasons, and those are usually easy to find because they are usually just plain careless or newbies.

Overall it has not been as positive as I hoped when I had joined.

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a good amount of learning with a lot of responsibilities. The pay is not great but not bad. Time off is average.

Cons

Management does not appreciate the effort. There is a lot of fault finding, and a general feeling is of frustration. They do not support much during the learning path, and you are on your own. Good performances will not necessarily be rewarded and the better people move to other teams and other organizations.

They need to look at the reality. Obviously everyone will be walking out the exit door unless they appreciate the incredible efforts. If you think of management leading the way to set an example, that does not happen. They themselves do not know what to do in most situations but always want to correct others. Some of their performance metrics are not accurate. They need to appreciate the engineer's efforts more to encourage going on the right track, otherwise it would continue to be 1 step forward, and 1 step back.