Nuance

Updated October 14, 2014
3.2

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager (in 26 reviews)

• The pros of working at Nuance is they allow employees to work from home resulting in better work life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist (in 24 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So far the experience has been good

Current Employee - Corporate Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

they give you easy access to learn new things, they treat you with respect.

Cons

I am located in Seattle while the main accounting office is in Burlington MA. We were formerly the Varolii Corporation who was acquired in October 2013

Not to take away the stocked kitchen, it is really appreciated when you are extremely busy with deadlines and cannot get away for lunch.

Good developers, indifferent management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building. Semi-interesting projects. I worked for a smaller company that was bought out by Nuance. That company had a great start-up vibe: developers interested in the work and passionate about the intellectual challenges of software development. Even the managers at that time (project, product, program, etc.) were fairly invested in their work, their team members, and the companies. Then came the buyout...

Cons

Bureaucratic, indifferent management. Requests for opportunities to expand skill set on the job always denied.

Focus on IT and development, not on constantly buying more companies.

Short Term Management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location. Nice office. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to be building long term value in the company. Everything is very short sited. They buy a company squeeze as much revenue out of it and slowly kill it.

Focus on building long term value

Growing Company with good culture

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Leader in voice recognition
    4 weeks vacation

Cons

could have better 401k and medical

Good for many, not good for people who despise inefficiency.

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

- If you're interested in NLU, it can be a fun and somewhat exciting place to work
    - There are opportunities to learn, if you want to take them

Cons

- Upper management often seems confused as to what direction they are heading in
    - There is a lot of spoken "yes" but little action
    - Firings seem to happen to satisfy headcount and quarterly earnings, not entirely based on performance/reliability/competence
    - Very little communication between teams working on similar projects

Nuance is organized hierarchically so that teams with overlapping knowledge are not aware that they are working on similar problems, so the same work gets done over and over.

Cannot manage young talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Nuance provides a nice working environment where almost everyone is really nice. The break room is usually well stocked and the company is trying its best to have good social interactions between people.

Cons

No one knows anyone outside of their team, and they don't care to. Developers are seen as fungible resources and time split on completely different projects is seen as a really good thing. Young developers are not mentored or pushed to better themselves as software engineers. This is the wrong place for any new grads that are talented. Which is extremely unfortunate, because there is a reason Google, facebook, microsoft, and amazon recruit heavily from universities and do well. No sight for advancement either.

Listen to your developers more. Encourage young software engineers to work on hard problems and mentor them. Don't let their talents stagnate! They were talented enough to get hired, now invest in their abilities. Otherwise, they will realize they aren't becoming better in their chosen career path and move on.

Love the people, wish they would let us build software at a competitive rate

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Seattle office is great for work/life balance, people are awesome, work is steady and reliable, lots of opportunities to dig into technical problems.

Cons

Upper management employs the python method on each newly purchased company. Squeeze, squeeze, kill, eat.

Pay employees enough to keep them. Stop hold up innovation by refusing to allow new hires, fund R&D so they can do some R&D.

Worker respect is an after thought at Nuance.

Former Employee - Software Applications Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Applications Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Some of the pros about this place included a great benefits package, very intelligent co-workers, and a chance to work with some new and cutting edge technologies. Free Soda?

Cons

Where to begin..well first off this place treats workers as expendable. Be prepared to work long hours and to sacrifice your weekends and personal time all in the name of padding Paul Ricci's pockets. Nuance is a perfect example of a company that pays their employees just enough not to quit. As a result most employees do just enough work not to get fired. Worker morale is also very low because of the constant threat of lay offs. Expect to be managed by a group of technically incompetent project managers who are constantly asking: "Is it done yet? Is it fixed yet?". Also if you work here DO NOT expect a raise..ever. Nuance simply just does not give them. Try to restrain yourself when the HR department explains that the "bad economy" has the company short on cash for raises only to open your e-mail the next day to read that Nuance acquired three new companies for $300 million in cash. Rejoice when you get your 2% bonus after working countless weekends and nights for months on end. Another major topic worth mentioning is that Nuance is INCREDIBLY political much more than most companies. Nuance does not reward contributers but rather rewards individuals who know how to cozy up to management and play political games. Sadly I would not recommend working here. Just about everyone one of my old co-workers at Nuance was either actively seeking other opportunities to leave or waiting for the economy to improve to find a better job because Nuance is literally a career dead end.

The employees of Nuance are the greatest asset that it posses. Disgruntling employees is a sure way to have very brilliant and talented people leave and apply their skills to other companies. Having low worker morale is also a sure way to have otherwise brilliant people produce mediocre work. Treat your employees better.

Not so bad in a satellite office, but rotten at the top

I have been working at Nuance

Pros

Some of the projects are interesting.
    Great coworkers and corporate atmosphere, in our location at least.
    4 weeks of PTO per year (combined sick leave/vacation)

Cons

I'm embarrassed by the lousy customer support we give.
    Employees are treated badly so all the qualified ones leave for better places (our competitors).
    With refusal to hire or invest, it's only a matter of time before competition will leave us behind.
    We pay our new hires the same salary Google interns get. How could we possibly compete with them for talented engineers?
    Absurdly short-sighted focus on tomorrow's stock price drives bone-headed business decisions.

Invest in your products enough to stay competitive. Stop acquiring lousy companies. Stop cheaping away the good employees. Hire new employees.