Nuance

Nuance Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci

Paul A. Ricci

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager(in 23 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and the team leaders are great(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to support work/life balance, but that truly doesn't exist(in 21 reviews)

• HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying(in 16 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So far the experience has been good

Corporate Services (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosthey give you easy access to learn new things, they treat you with respect.

ConsI am located in Seattle while the main accounting office is in Burlington MA. We were formerly the Varolii Corporation who was acquired in October 2013

Advice to Senior ManagementNot to take away the stocked kitchen, it is really appreciated when you are extremely busy with deadlines and cannot get away for lunch.

Short Term Management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood location. Nice office. Benefits are pretty decent.

ConsManagement doesn't seem to be building long term value in the company. Everything is very short sited. They buy a company squeeze as much revenue out of it and slowly kill it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building long term value

Growing Company with good culture

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLeader in voice recognition
    4 weeks vacation

Conscould have better 401k and medical

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for many, not good for people who despise inefficiency.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- If you're interested in NLU, it can be a fun and somewhat exciting place to work
    - There are opportunities to learn, if you want to take them

Cons- Upper management often seems confused as to what direction they are heading in
    - There is a lot of spoken "yes" but little action
    - Firings seem to happen to satisfy headcount and quarterly earnings, not entirely based on performance/reliability/competence
    - Very little communication between teams working on similar projects

Advice to Senior ManagementNuance is organized hierarchically so that teams with overlapping knowledge are not aware that they are working on similar problems, so the same work gets done over and over.

Cannot manage young talent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNuance provides a nice working environment where almost everyone is really nice. The break room is usually well stocked and the company is trying its best to have good social interactions between people.

ConsNo one knows anyone outside of their team, and they don't care to. Developers are seen as fungible resources and time split on completely different projects is seen as a really good thing. Young developers are not mentored or pushed to better themselves as software engineers. This is the wrong place for any new grads that are talented. Which is extremely unfortunate, because there is a reason Google, facebook, microsoft, and amazon recruit heavily from universities and do well. No sight for advancement either.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your developers more. Encourage young software engineers to work on hard problems and mentor them. Don't let their talents stagnate! They were talented enough to get hired, now invest in their abilities. Otherwise, they will realize they aren't becoming better in their chosen career path and move on.

Love the people, wish they would let us build software at a competitive rate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSeattle office is great for work/life balance, people are awesome, work is steady and reliable, lots of opportunities to dig into technical problems.

ConsUpper management employs the python method on each newly purchased company. Squeeze, squeeze, kill, eat.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees enough to keep them. Stop hold up innovation by refusing to allow new hires, fund R&D so they can do some R&D.

Worker respect is an after thought at Nuance.

Software Applications Developer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSome of the pros about this place included a great benefits package, very intelligent co-workers, and a chance to work with some new and cutting edge technologies. Free Soda?

ConsWhere to begin..well first off this place treats workers as expendable. Be prepared to work long hours and to sacrifice your weekends and personal time all in the name of padding Paul Ricci's pockets. Nuance is a perfect example of a company that pays their employees just enough not to quit. As a result most employees do just enough work not to get fired. Worker morale is also very low because of the constant threat of lay offs. Expect to be managed by a group of technically incompetent project managers who are constantly asking: "Is it done yet? Is it fixed yet?". Also if you work here DO NOT expect a raise..ever. Nuance simply just does not give them. Try to restrain yourself when the HR department explains that the "bad economy" has the company short on cash for raises only to open your e-mail the next day to read that Nuance acquired three new companies for $300 million in cash. Rejoice when you get your 2% bonus after working countless weekends and nights for months on end. Another major topic worth mentioning is that Nuance is INCREDIBLY political much more than most companies. Nuance does not reward contributers but rather rewards individuals who know how to cozy up to management and play political games. Sadly I would not recommend working here. Just about everyone one of my old co-workers at Nuance was either actively seeking other opportunities to leave or waiting for the economy to improve to find a better job because Nuance is literally a career dead end.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees of Nuance are the greatest asset that it posses. Disgruntling employees is a sure way to have very brilliant and talented people leave and apply their skills to other companies. Having low worker morale is also a sure way to have otherwise brilliant people produce mediocre work. Treat your employees better.

Not so bad in a satellite office, but rotten at the top

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSome of the projects are interesting.
    Great coworkers and corporate atmosphere, in our location at least.
    4 weeks of PTO per year (combined sick leave/vacation)

ConsI'm embarrassed by the lousy customer support we give.
    Employees are treated badly so all the qualified ones leave for better places (our competitors).
    With refusal to hire or invest, it's only a matter of time before competition will leave us behind.
    We pay our new hires the same salary Google interns get. How could we possibly compete with them for talented engineers?
    Absurdly short-sighted focus on tomorrow's stock price drives bone-headed business decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your products enough to stay competitive. Stop acquiring lousy companies. Stop cheaping away the good employees. Hire new employees.

Questionable Vision

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

Pros- Good PTO policies
    - Flexible Schedule (Depends on the group)
    - Interesting Work

Cons- There seems to be a lack of vision for the organic growth of the products acquired. They tend to languish over a period of time and die on the vine.
    - It's very top-down. Worker bees are first to go In one group there are at least 2 managers to every worker. Very inefficient
    - No clear ideas on how to innovate. I lay this at the feat of the CEO who probably understands everything about how to run a traditional business and nothing about how to make a software company sustainable and successful.
    - Acquisitions seem to be for IP and also for hiding systemic financial problems. It is very odd timing indeed that the company acquires a new company either right before financials are released or right after. The stock seems to languish mid-quarter and then is boosted again via a well timed acquisition.
    - Every new hire has to be approved by the CEO. Riddiculous.
    - Compensation lags
    - The benefits are horrible here on the west coast. If you like not being able to see a real doctor then this is the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the company as a whole like a software company.
    Thin the management herd.
    Be more hands off in hiring people, and more hands on in providing the resources for success.

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!