Nuance Transcription Services

Nuance Transcription Services Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • The only good thing and the only reason I am still here is being able to work from home(in 41 reviews)

• I wish I could think of one pro for this organization, but there are really no pros to working for this company(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are plenty of places people can go make minimum wage for a lot less aggravation(in 10 reviews)

• Less than minimum wage pay, lack of support, high stress, nobody cares about you(in 3 reviews)

Extremely satisfied Nuance medical transcriptionist

Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsNuance provides excellent resources, benefits and access to management when needed. QA is always a click away and more than ready to help with questions regarding formatting, terminology, etc.

ConsTranscription platform does not support a lot of productivity increasing options. While a very easy program to run, it does run fairly slowly, which decreases your production rate. On a production-based job, this can cause some frustration.

No regard for transcriptionists or their skills

Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsLike other reviews have noted, only pro I can think of is working from home.

ConsLow work volume; overstaffing on accounts. Routinely expected to "flex" your schedule when there is no work. Terrible China-based QA staff with reviews done through FIESA virtually ensuring impossibility of attaining QA bonus. Poor benefits, both insurance and PTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementI read review by one of your programmers who listed annual salary increases as one of the pros of the job. I also found another site indicating salary ranges for your administrative and IT personnel. These seem to be in quite contrast to compensation and benefits for your MLS staff that continue to back slide and back slide. We are the "grunts on the ground" and receive no recognition or compensation for the work we do.

Decent company, but difficult to keep up with ever-changing demands without increases in compensation.

Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsReliable paychecks. Friendly team supervisors. Tech support is quick and friendly. Generally, healthy work flow.

ConsThey require 99.4% accuracy. Blanks are counted against this 99.4% even though they encourage you to not guess and leave blanks. They encourage less than 10% of work going to QA. If you do 20 reports a day that is less than 2 reports and considering 98% are ESL doctors this is nearly impossible. So even though you are not supposed to guess and leave blanks, blanks count against your 10% to QA and your accuracy score. It is very hard to increase line count to make more money in order to meet these expectations. Accuracy scores can be lowered for leaving out "a" and "is", etc. PTO is okay, but not the best because they also encourage it to be used when there is no work. If you are out of PTO, even if it has been used for no work situations, you are not allowed to take time off without pay. The compensation is average at best considering the high standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate for the high standards you require. Less and less people are joining the transcription/editing field every year and high standard without reflective compensation will not turn that around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been a good experience and have had lucky wonderful supervisor

MLS/QC (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGetting to work at home

Consneeding to know a lot of technical terminology

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into account the hard work this job requires and provide raises or attainable bonuses

Don't believe what the recruiter tells you.

Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at home, direct deposit. Fairly consistent communication with supervisors.

ConsToo little pay for the amount of aggravation and stress that this job causes. One week my team lead was complaining that we were not working fast enough, so we sped up and the next week we all get reamed for having too many errors. The doctors need to learn to speak clearly (in English, if at all possible), organize their thoughts, and refrain from eating and drinking while dictating reports. We are the ones who get penalized when they mess up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf our work is as important as you claim, don't pay us pennies per line. Don't expect us to sit and twiddle our thumbs (for no pay) when there is no work available, and then require us to make it up on our own time. Stop telling us to work faster while raising the criteria for incentive pay and finding ways to nickel and dime us on benefits. We are trained, dedicated professionals, who should be treated as such.

Interesting accounts, poor pay

ProsI'm an MLS. The accounts that I work on are all critical care and are all really interesting, for the most part. The Team Leaders are great.

ConsThe benefits are pretty good, but the pay isn't. Those of us doing medical transcription and editing have a very important job, yet we're paid as though we're working on an assembly line in a factory.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your MLS's a reasonable wage for an important job rather than a few cents per line.

Well-run company but I'm not making any money. Editing all speech recognition documents and low per-line rate.

Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsWell-run company and friendly people. Benefit eligibilty working 30 hours per week.

ConsDifficult to make any money. Paid on production for speech recognition documents at low rate per line.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a better balance between speech recognition documents and documents I get to transcribe myself, the latter of which pays double the former.

They are not a very good company to work for. Promise things when you are hired and then they never come true.

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsI wish I could think of one pro for this organization, but there are really no pros to working for this company. After working there a week, I got out and ran as fast as I could.

ConsTheir quality assurance department has no clue what they are doing. They are very inexperienced. The main goal for this company is to find as many employee mistakes as they can, and if they cannot find any, they make them up. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bullying your employees, try working on the same side. Learn good managerial techniques. It says something about an organization when you see 60 transcriptionist positions listed on a job board all at the same time......unhappy employees.......high employee turnover.

Sweatshop

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOnly good thing is you can work at home.

ConsMicromanaging. Running out of work. Nitpicking on "errors." Having to find your own Admissions/discharges/transfers of patients (if you are lucky enough to have the dictator pronounce name correctly). EXTREMELY low wages. Must beg for time off. "Advised" to use PTO when you run out of work, leaving you no actual vacation time. This company just overall is terrible and I would advise NO transcriptionist to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing your employees. Pay a livable wage. Do not overhire. .

Awful!

MLS (Current Employee)

ProsI am able to work from home.

ConsPoor pay, poor communication, out of work a lot, not asked about new accounts, just thrown on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a livable wage for the US. We hear all this noise about how important we are yet we are micromanaged to the teeth, paid little, have poor drafts, no backup for the transcriptionist as far as bad drafts, poor doctors, etc. Show more appreciation for the people who are making your money.

Worked for Nuance Transcription Services? Contribute to the Community!