Nuance Transcription Services

www.nuance-nts.com
Profile Unclaimed

Company's new pay system penalizes MTs for doing their jobs correctly.

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

Working from home is the only pro left with this company.

Cons

Cannot make a living wage under their new and exciting pay plan. They penalize you if you send more than 10% of your charts to QA with blanks ensuring you only earn 7 cents per line, even if your quality is 99 to 100%. But they make sure your quality sucks also with Indian editors who really don't have a clue what they're doing, they're just guessing. And getting a reversal of their decision to improve your scores is nearly impossible. Anyone considering a position with Nuance should RUN AWAY as fast as you can. I was promised one line rate and now it looks like I'll be earning a much lower rate than I have been for the past 2 years. I am lucky though, some MTs are losing a lot more per line than I am.

Treat your MTs fairly and give them living wages. Maybe you should consider giving about 3/4 of Paul Ricci's salary to the MTs. They're the ones that earn the profits for you.

So thankful to be out of there!!

Former Employee - MLS/QC
    Former Employee - MLS/QC

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Truthfully, I can't think of any.

Cons

When Nuance bought the company I worked for, my pay dropped by two-thirds, my QA scores suddenly dropped, and my stress level went up 150%. I have now been retired a little more than a year and make more getting social security than I did at Nuance.

Treat your employees with respect rather than like slave labor. I had always been a valued, praised, well paid employee prior to working for Nuance. Try treating your employees the way you treat your CEO.

Nuance is tight-fisted and unfair

Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Nuance is that I can work from home, so there is no office politics, dress clothes to buy, I save on gas and upkeep of my car.

Cons

Working from home has it's downside, too. I feel like I'm a slave because the pay is about minimum wage, but I'm working really hard with all the ESL dictators on cell phones. You get dinged for every mistake QA finds and they require 99% perfection, so you never make a decent salary.

Please pay your US workers more. It's embarrassing to tell someone what I get paid for with this company. I have hardly any reason to work with the wages I receive. You are just disgusting.

Enjoy working from home.

Current Employee - MLS

Pros

Am doing this type work for 18 years, first an independent contractor, then worked for an office directly, who used this company until our hospital bought the office and eventually went to EMR, then I made a major mistake by staying with the company at that point...thought it would make it easy since I already knew how to use the program and jumping into it head first. Wrong! Have a great TSM but that doesn't solve the money problems.

Cons

Pay has dropped over 50% in the past 1½ years and yet we are expected to be perfect all the time. Employee status, but since the pay dropped am now facing foreclosure and bankruptcy. Can't afford any benefits due to the low pay and am worried about having no health insurance, no 401, and over 60 to boot. I'll die sitting at this computer, panic attacks every day. Not a good health predictor for the future. PTO is almost nonexistent...by the time we add up enough hours to take a week off, it is the end of summer...wonderful timing? I think not. No paid holidays, so pays are even worse those times of year if the holiday is on your normal work day. It is impossible to make a living (and I live alone) on this low paying job. No matter how much or how fast I type, the pay never goes up. If anything it now went down again.

Let us make a living. We can't be perfect. No matter how we try to be consistent, each QA is different leading to confusion. All talk, no truth in this new pay system.

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

One of the reasons I stayed was to fight, prove I was a gifted, talented, hardworking American, an American who lived and breathed HIPAA compliance, fighting to keep AMERICAN medical records, reports, private AMERICAN medical histories (accurate to the best of my ability), and to keep our records where they belong — in the United States of America.

Second reason was my supervisor. How this woman manages to remain with this company is beyond my understanding as I felt, knew, she was a caring, committed, fair individual. I had never had an opportunity to meet this woman in person. Our only means of communication were by phone or email. Her guidance and belief in my person and my abilities were the only reasons for staying as long as I did. God bless her!

Cons

The entire company was a challenge! This company expected the medical transcriptionists to constantly maintain a 100% accuracy on each and every single report. While I truly cared about the patients and their safety, truly took my job seriously, I did manage, a few times, to reach a 100% accuracy rate; however, human perfection is impossible, and I stayed for the most part in the 99.8 - 99.5 percent range. As I could not maintain the 100%, I had taken this personally, feeling a failure, losing faith in myself and my abilities. I was in a constant state of stress, duress, depression, anxiety, beating myself up daily. In the effort to try to maintain perfection, I failed to keep up my production. This failure at production caused me to receive what this company calls "MUP," makeup pay. This meant I was not producing enough to even meet the minimum wage requirement. So, the company had to "make up" my pay in order to meet the minimum wage requirement.

Prior to working for this company, I had been employed by an incredible MTSO,where my yearly income was at least $40,000!! At Nuance, my yearly plummeted to a whopping $17,000! You are probably asking why am I not with the prior MTSO. Well this incredible company eliminated our jobs!

I want you to understand the $40,000 yearly was ENTIRELY earned by literally TYPING!! Straight typing, NONVETBATIM!! Current or former company: Voice recognition.

Voice recognition or VR is completely ridiculous waste of time and accuracy. I could actually type a report with excellent accuracy and get it out much faster than VR. When an MT types dictation for a patient, from the beginning, the MT is extremely involved in the patient "story." With VR, it's like jumping into the middle of a book. I am absolutely against VR and will tell you I HATE it!

When you are completely involved in a story an MT has absolute control and by being involved an MT is 100% more likely to catch and prevent errors. We are told physicians do not like to dictate, that VR for some reason is much easier for them. Well, they should try transcribing a report. MTs actually help a doctor look great, competent, etc.

Another "con" and a complete turn about — remember I told you our medical records are outsourced? They are outsourced to India! Guess who performs quality control of the MTs report? Yep! People in India! So, I have a nonspeaking English QA person judging and correcting my reports! How is it possible an "English as s second language" or ESL, can understand English well enough to catch errors? It's difficult for an MT to transcribe ESLs, but we know our language!

My husband finally had enough of my suffering. My suffering, duress, depression, constant fear affected my ENTIRE FAMILY! I'm out for good after 20+ years' experience. I'd devoted 20+ years of my life constantly learning, improving, studying on my time, literally put everything I had into my profession — all for naught … Thanks Nuance for ruining my life. Good riddance.

MT/transcription Editor

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The software as top rate, the training was thorough, never run out of work except on usual accustomed transcription days, such as holidays.

Cons

Pay was low, higher pay was able to be obtained if you met quality standards which were quite high; however, I usually see that as a good thing, quality not always quantity; however, because they service a large number of companies not only transcription companies. This companies is large and their quality team is highly staffed and you get feedback and reviewed daily. They encourage you to ask questions of your supervisor; however, I question how much supervisors have on their plate, as my requested help sometimes was overlooked. However always eventually gotten to. However, I was very intimidated by the staff and also intimidated by the large amount of programs you had to keep track of on a daily basis.

I think they need to slow down and remember that most seasoned transcriptionists are really under alot of uneasiness right now with so many changes being made in the industry and a lot of us have worked for hospitals, clinics, etc., where you are treated like an employee and HR constantly has your back; however, at this time those jobs are fading and we of course need to make a living doing what know how to do, in my personal opinion I felt that they fully knew that and that we are nothing more than lines/dollars to them.

I was a part-time medical transcriptionist for Nuance.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Healdsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Healdsburg, CA

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good administration and supervision, interesting subspecialties and good training. I enjoyed all of the administrative staff that I came with which I came into contact. Working at home was very convenient.

Cons

Only average production wages, high quality control accuracy quotas.

I have worked at Nuance for 6 months and I cannot wait to get out

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As others have said, I am able to work at home. That is the ONLY benefit as I see it, and one of the main reasons most of us entered this field, even though in the beginning of my career 18 years ago, I worked on-site for a large metropolitan hospital before we were transitioned to home.

Cons

The cons of working for this shyster company are overwhelming. First and foremost, it is a sweat shop. Conjure up images of working in a Chinese factory where you might be paid $1.00 hour and are required to work 16 hours a day. That's what life is like at Nuance. The working conditions are the same. I was an independent contractor for years, the last 4 years during which I transcribed the same client for the MTSO I was contracted with that overnight went to VR without warning. I was out of a job, and as the job postings are now few and far between, I had a difficult time for a few months trying to find work. I finally did what I said I would never do, and that was accept a position at Nuance, the biggest mistake I have ever made. From the get go, the hiring manager told me there was plenty of work when I emphasized that I did not want to find myself in the position of not having work daily. She lied. I was placed into ambulatory on a specialty I had never done. Okay, I said, I am a seasoned MT, I can do it. I did it, but there was only work 2-3 days per week. I asked to be placed on another account. My TSM ignored my requests, something I came to realize early is her MO. She never responds to anything. I think that is how Nuance has trained them for the most part. My requests went unheeded. I finally stopped trying to get additional work. I have as little communication with my TSM as I possibly can.

Then, the new and exciting "patient safety" compensation plan was announced. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knew up front it was another way to steal wages. For the first time in my history of being an MT, I would have my pay deducted if I made a mistake, and I would be penalized for the platform on which I was working, something out of my control, as well as lines disappearing each pay cycle that I transcribed. The new compensation plan is penal. So many factors count against you. If we send a report to QA, and our percentage of doing so has to be less than 10%, our pay is deducted, and that includes reports that we send when there is no dictation or the doc has made an error, reports that we once called flagging. In addition, I sit in amazement when I see my reports that have been QA'd by India. No need wasting your time or effort trying to get those reversed. It will rarely happen. Requests to my TSM fall on deaf ears because she has never gone to bat for me even though I can give her chapter and verse of why the Indian QA is wrong. How far this industry has sunk to have people in a foreign country, who really do not speak our language, who do not have a grasp of English grammar and usage, doing quality assurance on American MTs.

Every day, I dread coming into my office to start my shift. Some days, I don't want to even get out of bed. Living in poverty has become the way of life at Nuance, but let's give them a hand. They have now leveled the playing field between American and Indian MTs. The poor Nuance MT lives a stress-filled life. It is more than difficult to work for a company that deems us not worthy of even the pitiful wages they pay us. I am leaving and starting my own business in an entirely different field. In the end, I can say that is another benefit of my having worked for Nuance. They gave me the incentive to explore my options and leave the slave trade.

Why give advice to the tone deaf? As with everything Nuance, it would go unheeded.

LIARS, CHEATS AND THIEVES

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time

Pros

The only good thing about this job is working at home.

Cons

They sit around thinking of ways to steal more money from MLS. I don't know how these people sleep at night. They came out with yet another new incentive program, which others in the industry are calling "mystery pay". They spent a year boosting up their new incentive program, which was supposed to be a way to boost your income. Instead, it was just a way for them to take more money from MLS. Now, stuck doing nothing but difficult ESL dictations, QC has so many variables it's ridiculous and more ludicrous than ever. Believe they will be coming after 401K next. They've hired all these suits to think of ways to skew statistics to cheat the MLS. Once you start working for them, you're stuck in a misery trap. Just when you get accommodated to living on low income, they pull the rug out from under you. Keep you stressed out and over-worked for pennies. Get out of this industry as fast as you can. Their insurance has a $2500 deductible which equates to almost 2 months of pay (that's if you're making more than minimum wage).

No point in giving advice to people who only care about themselves and have no moral or ethical code.

Tossed out like the trash.

Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist
    Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at home is great if you are making decent money, because you save on gas, wardrobe, lunch, etc.

Cons

Employees are treated as very disposable. They prefer newbies who don't know what a transcriptionist used to be able to make. Pay was cut IN HALF from transcription to editing. Impossible expectations. Management does not care about people. Training done by videos and questions never answered. I guess that's expected when the CEO is the 16th richest CEO in the country. That trickle-down thing is going the wrong way.

Try treating people like human beings. Respect needs to go both ways.