Nuance Transcription Services

Reset

Promises, Promises

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I received an invitation from a recruiting manager at Nuance about one month ago. He had seen my resume' online. He sent me the link for the testing and told me that upon my completion, he would "do his best to get me in the door." He told me that there were plenty of positions available in my requested field of Radiology. I took the test, both multiple choice and transcription and passed both well beyond the 85% required to pass. I have not received any acknowledgement from Nuance regarding my testing, nor has there been any attempt to "get me in the door." I have attempted multiple times through e-mail and by phone to make contact with no luck. I am a very good transcriptionist with nearly 20 years experience. This is not the way to treat a potential employee.

Cons

Nuance is good at making its company seem superior, but they don't have any respect for people who truly want to work and have the experience to do the job. Their recruiters do not answer the phone, return e-mails, and despite the promises, promises to try to "get a potential employee in the door," the job never materializes. It feels more like getting you "out the door." I think their lack of communication with me, when they initiated the possibility of a job from the beginning, is a deplorable way to treat a potential candidate.

Advice to Management

I rated Nuance ONE star, only because the recruiter called me by phone and offered me the job. My advice...very simple. Follow through. If you cannot communicate with a potential employee and advise them as to employment status, maybe another line of work would be good for you.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct deposit and working from home are the only positives.

Cons

new pay scale which means one never knows from week to week how much they are earning - went from being paid hourly to production. So if you are trying to get a loan for a car, refi your house, whatever, you can't tell the loan company what you make in a month because you don't know. It consistently changes. They are outsourcing more and more to India, their "Global partner". Poor management. Poor employee relations. Everything seems to be kept in the dark with only sharing a tad bit of info.

Advice to Management

Stop messing with pay structure. Appreciate the hard working employees you have that are now leaving because of poor relations/no work/ etc.

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time

Pros

Work from home, direct deposit paychecks, for what they are worth.

Cons

Low terrible pay scales which end up cheating you. No matter how much you take pride in your work and strive for accuracy and do a good job, no matter your experience, you are micromanaged and are treated like a child.

Advice to Management

Fix this.

I was finally let go for not meeting the metric requirements after 2 years and 5 months.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Cornwall, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Cornwall, NY

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

A lot of encouragement and help from some of the supervisors. Status updates by e-mail give a good idea of what to expect that day.

Cons

After struggling to meet the line count metric for over a year I finally got there... only to be informed that this was no longer good enough because they had changed the requirement from 143 lines per hour to 186. I struggled again to meet this, though I voiced frustration at feeling like the rules had been changed just as I was reaching the requirement. I finally started to climb upwards again, trying to channel all the energy I had, and hit a peak of at least reaching over 150, but then started getting new, challenging speakers who made my account feel new all over again.

I started battling waves of real anger and depression partially because there was no one around me doing the same work to compare things with or commiserate with. My line counts fell because the harder speakers brought my whole day down, no matter how I tried to use word expanders and the other tips they gave. Talking with my supervisor on my THIRD account, who couldn't understand why I still was not meeting the requirement, I tried to explain that the account still seemed new to me since I was still getting new speakers... and she basically said that it wasn't new anymore and that time was running out for me the meet the requirements any way I could.

In a state of fatigue, despair and almost desperation, I asked for a vacation of at least a week, which I had not even really taken in over 2 years, saying that 2 extra days besides my usual 2 were the longest time off I had ever had. Answer: No; I did not have enough PTO hours available. I then asked if I could switch my schedule from 11 to 8 PM to at least an hour earlier, since a change of routine might be healthier and give me more energy. Answer: No; because there were already too many workers working earlier. Finally I asked if I could try working part-time for just a while, just to see if it made a difference. Answer: No; not with my account.

While I was given a long time to meet the requirements, the one for line counts changed twice in the 2 years and 5 months I was there. As far as the QC percentage, it is figured based on report size rather than number. Think about it: A longer report is simply usually more likely to have to be sent for review than a short one, so all it takes is a few lengthy, challenging reports to make your percentage go above what it should be. Meanwhile, I felt that for someone who had not taken a real vacation in so long and had reliable 99% accuracy virtually every week, I was not met half way by being given a triple set of no's. They should have granted at least 1 of my requests. I had earned it.

At last they gave me a final warning to meet the requirements and placed me on a performance action plan. I improved somewhat in speed but then my accuracy went down, which is exactly what I was afraid would happen. Before even considering my last week - which was part of the contract I signed with them - they let me go for not showing enough improvement. I was asked if there was anything else I would like to say, and though I was kind of stunned I remained as polite as I could and said that perhaps if I had been allowed to change my schedule or work part time for a while, it would have made a difference.

One more thing: In an e-mail a few weeks before being fired, I said to my supervisor - who had denied that workers were denied a vacation because the PTO provided for that - that PTO is only accrued by working EXTRA time, and that therefore we are not granted a vacation, like almost every other full time worker is, unless we work extra, and no more. She never really answered that or was able to deny it.

I did not intend for this to be so long, but if this is similar to anyone else's story it was worth explaining. Seeing everyone else's posts has been somewhat therapeutic for me because I have been feeling like there is something wrong with my for not being able to hold down this job longer than I did. If I ever do transcription again, it will part time unless I find an ideal company. Most likely I will not do this kind of work again, thanks to Nuance.

Advice to Management

Convey a little more understanding towards employees who are working an intense, isolated job and who are not granted vacations beyond whatever extra time they are able to work. That is basically all the "flexible" time off request arrangement meant for me. Allow for a real vacation if a worker has not had one in a very long time, regardless of PTO time.

Stay away

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

Was able to work from home.

Cons

Terrible pay, no communication with managers, treat transcriptionists like factory workers.

Advice to Management

Value the work of transcriptionists. They care about doing quality work, that is more important than cranking out poor quality reports just to meet deadlines.

MLS - Just resigned!

Current Employee - Medical Language Specliast
    Current Employee - Medical Language Specliast

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

Work from home. Basically this is a good alternative to working at McDonalds, The pay is lower and you don't get free hamburgers.

Cons

No communication with manager. Pay is less than minimum wage. Frequently run out of work with no explanation as to how to get paid for the lost time. This is a scam.

Advice to Management

Examine your conscience!

Full time MLS

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

Direct deposit of my paycheck.

Cons

Their main goal is to eliminate the American MLS and to hire all off-shore labor at even lower wages than they are paying American MLS/ New metric pay grid cuts our line count in half so they have a way of cheating us out of a fair wage no matter how hard you work you cannot win If you are making high line counts in one region, they move to another region where you line count is sure to drop and then they terminate you for not meeting their so-called metrics!!

Advice to Management

I would look for a new job if you are an American!.

Current Employee - MLS in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - MLS in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

There are no good reasons to work at Nuance other than the MLS managers seem to have some empathy and are encouraging. The quality policy is admirable but extremely difficult to maintain due to punitive and excessively picayune quality reviews.

Cons

Pay scale has gone steadily down since Nuance took over. There is no appreciation for the value of the workforce. Even during this past Medical Transcription week there were no rewards or thanks, monetary or otherwise. Pitiful company. Do not recommend.

Advice to Management

There are many companies who manage to compensate their employees and still make money for the stockholders. Your CEO has been making upwards of 35 million dollars a year for many years and your valuable work force, many of us with 20+ years experience, is living on a pittance. Shame on you.

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services

Pros

Work from home saves some expenses.

Cons

Lack of work availability, need to expect unpredictable and unpaid down time.

Advice to Management

Keep work in the U.S.

worst job ever

Current Employee - MLS
    Current Employee - MLS

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home, relatively flexible schedule

Cons

Pay is terrible, managers are too overworked to answer emails, no holidays off unless you use your precious little PTO allowance, accounts run out of work frequently due to over-staffing and disorganization, QA system is a nightmare, could make a higher salary working part-time in a fast food restaurant.

Advice to Management

loosen the pursestrings, stop shipping all the work overseas, and give your employees a couple of paid holidays, which I believe would be a much more effective morale booster than the constant stream of super positive corporate emails reminding us all how great working at Nuance is.

RSS Feed </> Embed