Nucor
www.nucor.com Charlotte, NC 5000+ Employees

Nucor Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014
Nucor – Flowood – “At work”

Nucor Chairman, President, and CEO Dan DiMicco

Dan DiMicco

Good pay for labor job

Locomotive (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPay is good for labor work

ConsPay is based on production; management controls production level. Hours do not allow for a life outside of the cor!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow company to grow and be competitive in a world market

Good company to work for, but the longer I'm there the more disillusioned I become.

ProsSmart people. Lots of room for advancement if you're willing to move. Bonus good and profit sharing. Employees empowered by management. Executives know many of the employees that work for them, which is unusual in an organization of this size.

ConsVacation terrible. Locations tend to be remote. Company is growing so fast it seems to be losing it's culture. Organization seems to be more and more political to a point where employees & managers are scared to speak up for fear of career repercussions.

Good job period!

Scrap Inspector (Former Employee)
    Flowood, MS

ProsGood Pay and great 401 k plan bonuses are great Caring management cool coworkers and they take safety serious.

ConsLong hours and some of the jobs require hard work and you have to be aware of your surroundings and be safe and look out for other coworkers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loyalty returned

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI am truly empowered to do my job. I receive plenty of training. The benefits are great. There is limitless potential. And, the pay is great your division does its job well!

ConsNone really that I am aware of. I really like almost everything about working at Nucor. The only negatives are small things that exist at every company on earth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Best, safest US company

Safety Intern (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, NE

ProsOpen culture. Incredibly safe. High pay. Ability to move around. Low management structure.

ConsDangerous conditions if you do not follow procedure. Long hours. Benefits take a long time to accumulate.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the low management structure.

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay but you need to consider the hourly rate when you divide your salary by 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year

ConsVery dedicated work force that believes in the company The problem is the management has no leadership qualities. They were taught to say the script taught to them and have no idea how to plan or strategize and involve the team. They are puppets who worked their way up and are afraid to stir. No backbone even thought the "culture" is to have integrity and be courageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to say the right things. Listen, understand and guide your teams and divisions to help them succeed. Quit thinking your management team are there to "do the right thing". Accept that THEY are not going to make waves and will ride the wave as long as they can. The market will take care of it so why do they have to.

Fair Company to work at.

ProsSalary, Good People, Great Culture for most part.

ConsManagement from different divisions could communicate better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep us the number 1 steel company to work for.

Not what's advertised, but lots of money to be made if that's all you care about.

ProsTop notch pay.
    Awesome profit sharing.
    Family fun day at Busch Gardens

ConsNo real vacation. Many people have had vacation either go uncovered or forced upon others and resulting in cancelled plans.
    Mediocre health plan.
    Management does not appear to want honest open feedback and communication.
    Modifications or trying new things are limited to what does not hold up production. I have seen one person research and do a lot of leg work for top of the line and safe modifications to be made but they were told no, not because of money or because of safety concerns, but because they(management) did not like the idea.
    Too many political games when it comes to promotions. Good ol' boys club often wins out over the more qualified individual.
    Lean manning makes vacation and time off a significant hassle.
    No room to grow due to poor manning, many employees have quit over the past two to three years.
    Poor supervisory team has led to a disgruntled team that is performing at less than they are capable.
    You will be told the company wants open honest feedback but anyone that attempts to provide it, whether tactfully or not, is viewed as having a bad attitude or not being a team player.
    Little to no leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at the managerial and supervisory teams that have resulted in so many people leaving such a good paying job. There are many other employees that want to leave but can't due to having other local ties.

Discouraging

Skilled Worker With A Degree (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPay, a lot of the front line employees are excellent people. Very talented and generous with there time.

ConsOppressive policies, managers and supervisors have no real management skills, play favorites as bad as any giant corp

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at Nucor Seattle. Over my employment I've watched a very satisfied workforce become a universally miserable one. We have continued to make good money in seattle so it isn't the economy. They've got everybody walking on egg shells here, people that have been here for years and used to love it are looking for a way out. When you have a crew and everybody is miserable because of one guy something isn't right. When our managers refuse to address safety issues because the alternative is too expensive (at the expense of employee health and safety) it doesn't sit well with anyone. Especially when safety is constantly drilled into everyone's head and used to reprimand and fire people.

Excellent career. Highly recommend

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Crawfordsville, IN

ProsPromotes self driven creative people.
    Not afraid of risk.

ConsRapid growth risks losing culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Worked for Nucor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nucor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nucor CEO Dan DiMicco. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Nucor employees.