Nucor Reviews

Reset
3.5
Nucor CEO John J. Ferriola
John J. Ferriola

Pros
  • If you work out in the plant on production the pay is good (in 8 reviews)

• Pay ,Profit Sharing, Dependent Tuition, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and some of the jobs require hard work and you have to be aware of your surroundings and be safe and look out for other coworkers (in 5 reviews)

• Most people commute an hour each way to get away from the location the mill is built in (in 4 reviews)

1. Intern

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Nucor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Good learning Environment

Cons

Complacency amongst some older workers and some don't respect you when you are younger, but thats to be expeted.

Advice to Management

N/a

2. ISO9001/TS16949 Coordinator

Former Employee - Quality and/Or Production in Hartsville, SC
    Former Employee - Quality and/Or Production in Hartsville, SC

I worked at Nucor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nucor's nature highly emphasizes safety, quality, waste reduction, productivity, and innovation making it one of the worlds top steel organizations

Cons

Through my experiences at Nucor, I cannot recall any cons due to their desire and ability to continuously improve every facet of their business in order to meet or exceed customer requirements.

Advice to Management

Provide me with an opportunity to contribute to Nucor's success as a valuable employee.

3. Could be more......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Nucor

Pros

Good profit sharing. If they like you, good raises.

Cons

Vacation time could be a lot better. If they don't like you, they write you up until you can get fired or until you get the point and leave.

Advice to Management

Politics just hurts the company.

5. A bad place

Former Employee - Production Worker in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Nucor

Pros

Honestly the only pro I can say is they make you more aware of safety issues.

Cons

Without sounding immature and being completely honest the place is terrible depending on the location. You will see some very happy people in the above reviews , but that's only because there location is run well. Some of the cons are vacation time could be better, no sick time at all, and the Biggest one is they have way to much control over your money. You will work tons of overtime and it won't be anything like you are used to. Time and a half sure but it all depends how the plant is running. I found myself working 60 plus hours a week and my over time for most of it was 15.60 a hour because the production hours did not exceed 45 hours. I never saw my family and I couldn't even be proud to take home a huge paycheck. The over time sucks! Also don't let them full you when it comes to the good life they all talk about. They will talk nucor up to be the best place to work and you will be very disappointed. This review is not just my opinion every single person I made friends with there felt the same way. It was really a sight to see. Every lunch break no one talked , not because we didn't like each other but because we were all on job search websites! Anyway I have a great job now at a great place and if you decide to work there that's on you but after 1 week when you hate it, and you will go back and read this review. Told you so! Former nucor connecticut employee

Advice to Management

Stop lying! Take responsibility for your bad decisions and stop putting them on the little people. Start truly caring about your employees safety and well being. Get with the times!!! Not a single sick day lol . Production really what's this Russia in the 1960s. Start promoting people who deserve it!

6. Admin Asst

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. The employees are great for the most. part. Management was great to work with as well.

Cons

None that I can really think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and always be engaged with the employees.

detailer

Current Employee - Detailer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Detailer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Nucor

Pros

This is a really good place to work very friendly coworkers also it has great benefits and pay thumbs up

Cons

So far it has no cons that I can think of but I guess only time will tell for sure

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing it works and has everyone enjoying their jobs there is nothing that I would change

8. Production Focus

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Generally the culture is all about teamwork and getting the job done, and done well.

Cons

Production focus is heavy, and weighted well in salary. There is also production pressure.

Nucor

I have been working at Nucor

Pros

Good work/life balance (normally). Great people to work with. When the market is good the paychecks are great. Very safety conscious.

Cons

Very market driven. When the orders for steel aren't there then your paycheck reflects that. You do not have a consistent pay amount from week to week so budgeting becomes a challenge. Medical plan isn't as good as you would think a company of this size should have.

10. Warehouse

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was good as long as business was good but if things slow Down they cut your hours .

Cons

They work a lot of hours when they are busy and your family doesn't see you. Promotions are based on who you know not what you know

Advice to Management

Become more interested in the families

Shift Electrician

Former Employee - Shift Electrician in Cofield, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Electrician in Cofield, NC

I worked at Nucor

Pros

Nucor Steel is a versatile steel plate manufacturing company. They value their team members and provide necessary training to enhance your abilities. The shift work is excellent working 4 days and then 4 days off between shifts alternating between day and night.

Cons

Coverage is required all the time so when a team member takes vacation another team member must take the shifts. You can easily work 6 days straight and possibly more if their is training held on a off day. Bonus pay fluctuates based on production and the market.

Advice to Management

Minimize training held during off days.

RSS Feed </> Embed