Nucor

Updated November 19, 2014
3.2

Nucor Chairman, President, and CEO Dan DiMicco
Dan DiMicco

Pros
  • The pay is good, if you're production (in 8 reviews)

• Pay ,Profit Sharing, Dependent Tuition, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and work in demanding, often working in hot and dirty conditions (in 5 reviews)

• Most people commute an hour each way to get away from the location the mill is built in (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The Educated are overlooked

Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Nucor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job stability.....you won't get fired. If you aren't educated, don't have a clue what you are doing, but put a smile on your face every day, you have a good shot at management!!

Cons

Education doesn't seem to matter with this company. Most often those that are educated are overlooked. Many of the managers don't have any previous experience in the area in which they are managing. This causes difficulty for those under the management. How can management guide you if they don't have a clue of what they are doing.

The pay scale is standard across the board regardless of the state you live in and the cost of living in that state. Doesn't equal out!!

Pay attention to a person's experience and education. Education is important and very costly. Those of us that paid a lot of money for our education deserve a shot. A person should be promoted based on experience and education not WHO they know.

Gone downhill... Why do I still work here?

Current Employee - Production in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Production in Norfolk, NE

I have been working at Nucor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is steady dependable job. Good experience to go elsewhere.

Cons

Pay not very good.... Promise of more but not realistic.
    Safety is talked a lot but killing 2 people this year is horrible. Guy lost his arm in Connecticut! The company cares about money not teammates.
    Environmental is poor. They just hide it. It is going to catch up soon. Chemicals leaked in ground? No... You don't need to report that.

Care about teammates, safety and stop allowing environmental issues to happen! Containment allowed chemicals to leak? Report it! Don't hide behind lawyers.

Worked tirelessly in an attempt to establish a career only to be mistreated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trinity, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trinity, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average, to say the least.
    Early in employ, culture and atmosphere was family-like, management and supervisor stood up and supported all employees.

Cons

Management and supervision changes resulted in a total culture toxicity. Nepotism, favoritism, use of sexual favors for advancement became rampant as loyal employees were railroaded, discriminated against, and even fired because of trumped up reasons. Company political agenda forced on employees to the point being forced to sign form letters to sitting officials that the company had drafted.

Have some common decency where your employees are concerned, and stop using pay to force people to tolerate all sorts of demeaning and unfair treatment. Clean up your management and supervision and stop promoting people based on how far you can get them to bow.

bad place to work

Current Employee - Uititly
    Current Employee - Uititly

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

there is none the only way to move up is to kiss up because on matter how much you know you will not go any where if you dont kiss up with management.

Cons

bad management in both melt shop and rolling mill the only way you move up is to suck up to them

gm needs to get a gule and wake up and take a long hard look with management team

Great pay, egregious compulsory overtime, and very low employee moral

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, and some very bright people to learn from and work with.

Cons

Ridiculous overtime requirements, poor management. This particular business unit of Nucor strayed very far from Ken Iversons' original philosophy. Gestapo supervision and management techniques. The place sickened me.

Start firing managers, and stop firing and demoting the good supervisors. The place has gone to hell in a hurry.

Great for the bills, horrible on moral.

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pays well for most positions

Cons

Most managers and supervisors there in seattle hold old culture (good ol day mills) , not real Nucor culture that I've read or been talked about from other visiting Nucor EE's. A couple of managers there need to retire or be evaluated for a forced retirement. I had been employed with the company for almost 5 years. Within that time I had nothing but a clean track record and provided them with top notch work you'd expect from a high paying employer. I see a new wave of employees moving in that make me believe on day they'll be caught up with the rest of corporation, wich is a some what of a relieving perception I guess. I wish corporate would listen and react accordingly to there mandatory employee surveys we fill out annually, I personally believe it make a great difference within. They will pound safety in your head but at the same time throw you in situations that are highly hazardous to your health and well being just to turn there back and hope for the best. Ask anyone employed within the shipping department on how dangerous there scrap problem was and is. Thousands of tons of scrap intertwined with finished product and common walk ways ( not designated for this purpose ). It hasnt always been a problem, its just had managements blind eye turned from the issue because it became out of control within the last few years. The managers that hold true concern lie frustrated and concerned but than again are out numbered in Seattle. Its really sad to me cause I left a place I may have been able to stick around and help change things. Seattle has great potential and I see that. I met many great people I will always stay in contact with forever. The straw that broke the camels back for me was being denied a job within for purposes that were bias. Had nothing to do with my work ethic. I was the only person who submitted a bid on the job and my bid sheet went straight in the garbage with no consideration. Be careful when applying. Most people dont mind working around some of there fixable safety issues. The proof is in the pudding, I left a job that payed me 80k a year with no back up plan. Money became less important to me, I was loosing my mind seeing all of there neglect. Its a game of favorites within Seattles walls and not all favorites have pure intentions. If your in a position to relocate I highly recommend applying with Nucor, Just not Seattle.

my only major regret is leaving without trying to contribute to a more positive changes and to stand up for what is right. Then again I still have whats most important to me, a kind, loving, and understanding family whom stand up and support my decision.

Id highly advise corporate to hire qualified EE's from other mills to take over more rolls within Seattles team. We seemed to have brought in some special people whom do indeed hold true Nucor culture. We need real team leaders not problem dodgers, and paycheck chasers.

Could have been better

I worked at Nucor full-time

Pros

Production workers paid very well and because of some the remote locations could be a good job for office and supporting staff also. In some cases it is the one of the few or only major employer to make a decent wage.

Cons

The company feels they are the best thing there is and expects all from their employees making work your life. Benefits are mediocre. Pay even with the bonus figured in is very low for highly skilled and back office staff. Backstabbing is common and being in the wrong clique will likely mean no advancement.

When doing research be aware that most of the information is based on Ken Iverson's Nucor. That Nucor no longer exists. Open communication is gone, employee empowerment is fading quickly. The new management being put in place are more concerned about their next advancement than taking care of the employees under them. You can see this by their increase in employee turn-over especially in non-production positions.

Read "Plain Talk" and understand the principles and values that made Nucor great can still be used in today's world. Following along the path because other companies of the same size do it that way is going to lead to Nucor's ruin. They'll be just like any other company and will likely get bought out by a larger company needing to diversify in to Nucor's market. ArcelorMittal comes to mind.

nu iron pt lisas

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I have been working at Nucor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

nu iron maintenance department is cultured as well as contained a equipped and experienced staff who knows the plant inside out, a lot of experienced is gained due to frequent plant maintenance shutdown, opening of vessels and reformers.

Cons

management has no direction to the future of production and forecasting. staff is phenomenal however without direction ,proper budgeting of finance and maintenance program, the department is reduced to clutter

management require personals with proper management and forecasting skills who is firm enough to ascertain pertinent decisions viable to both staffing and company's future both financially and economically

Manager

I worked at Nucor

Pros

Good pay but you need to consider the hourly rate when you divide your salary by 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year

Cons

Very dedicated work force that believes in the company The problem is the management has no leadership qualities. They were taught to say the script taught to them and have no idea how to plan or strategize and involve the team. They are puppets who worked their way up and are afraid to stir. No backbone even thought the "culture" is to have integrity and be courageous.

Quit trying to say the right things. Listen, understand and guide your teams and divisions to help them succeed. Quit thinking your management team are there to "do the right thing". Accept that THEY are not going to make waves and will ride the wave as long as they can. The market will take care of it so why do they have to.

Not what's advertised, but lots of money to be made if that's all you care about.

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Top notch pay.
    Awesome profit sharing.
    Family fun day at Busch Gardens

Cons

No real vacation. Many people have had vacation either go uncovered or forced upon others and resulting in cancelled plans.
    Mediocre health plan.
    Management does not appear to want honest open feedback and communication.
    Modifications or trying new things are limited to what does not hold up production. I have seen one person research and do a lot of leg work for top of the line and safe modifications to be made but they were told no, not because of money or because of safety concerns, but because they(management) did not like the idea.
    Too many political games when it comes to promotions. Good ol' boys club often wins out over the more qualified individual.
    Lean manning makes vacation and time off a significant hassle.
    No room to grow due to poor manning, many employees have quit over the past two to three years.
    Poor supervisory team has led to a disgruntled team that is performing at less than they are capable.
    You will be told the company wants open honest feedback but anyone that attempts to provide it, whether tactfully or not, is viewed as having a bad attitude or not being a team player.
    Little to no leadership.

Take a serious look at the managerial and supervisory teams that have resulted in so many people leaving such a good paying job. There are many other employees that want to leave but can't due to having other local ties.

Nucor Photos