Nucor Reviews

Reset
3.4
Nucor CEO John J. Ferriola
John J. Ferriola

Pros
  • If you work out in the plant on production the pay is good (in 8 reviews)

• Pay ,Profit Sharing, Dependent Tuition, (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and some of the jobs require hard work and you have to be aware of your surroundings and be safe and look out for other coworkers (in 5 reviews)

• Most people commute an hour each way to get away from the location the mill is built in (in 4 reviews)

Great for the bills, horrible on moral.

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pays well for most positions

Cons

Most managers and supervisors there in seattle hold old culture (good ol day mills) , not real Nucor culture that I've read or been talked about from other visiting Nucor EE's. A couple of managers there need to retire or be evaluated for a forced retirement. I had been employed with the company for almost 5 years. Within that time I had nothing but a clean track record and provided them with top notch work you'd expect from a high paying employer. I see a new wave of employees moving in that make me believe on day they'll be caught up with the rest of corporation, wich is a some what of a relieving perception I guess. I wish corporate would listen and react accordingly to there mandatory employee surveys we fill out annually, I personally believe it make a great difference within. They will pound safety in your head but at the same time throw you in situations that are highly hazardous to your health and well being just to turn there back and hope for the best. Ask anyone employed within the shipping department on how dangerous there scrap problem was and is. Thousands of tons of scrap intertwined with finished product and common walk ways ( not designated for this purpose ). It hasnt always been a problem, its just had managements blind eye turned from the issue because it became out of control within the last few years. The managers that hold true concern lie frustrated and concerned but than again are out numbered in Seattle. Its really sad to me cause I left a place I may have been able to stick around and help change things. Seattle has great potential and I see that. I met many great people I will always stay in contact with forever. The straw that broke the camels back for me was being denied a job within for purposes that were bias. Had nothing to do with my work ethic. I was the only person who submitted a bid on the job and my bid sheet went straight in the garbage with no consideration. Be careful when applying. Most people dont mind working around some of there fixable safety issues. The proof is in the pudding, I left a job that payed me 80k a year with no back up plan. Money became less important to me, I was loosing my mind seeing all of there neglect. Its a game of favorites within Seattles walls and not all favorites have pure intentions. If your in a position to relocate I highly recommend applying with Nucor, Just not Seattle. my only major regret is leaving without trying to contribute to a more positive changes and to stand up for what is right. Then again I still have whats most important to me, a kind, loving, and understanding family whom stand up and support my decision.

Advice to Management

Id highly advise corporate to hire qualified EE's from other mills to take over more rolls within Seattles team. We seemed to have brought in some special people whom do indeed hold true Nucor culture. We need real team leaders not problem dodgers, and paycheck chasers.

Great pay, egregious compulsory overtime, and very low employee moral

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, and some very bright people to learn from and work with.

Cons

Ridiculous overtime requirements, poor management. This particular business unit of Nucor strayed very far from Ken Iversons' original philosophy. Gestapo supervision and management techniques. The place sickened me.

Advice to Management

Start firing managers, and stop firing and demoting the good supervisors. The place has gone to hell in a hurry.

bad place to work

Current Employee - Uititly
    Current Employee - Uititly

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

there is none the only way to move up is to kiss up because on matter how much you know you will not go any where if you dont kiss up with management.

Cons

bad management in both melt shop and rolling mill the only way you move up is to suck up to them

Advice to Management

gm needs to get a gule and wake up and take a long hard look with management team

Worked tirelessly in an attempt to establish a career only to be mistreated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trinity, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trinity, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average, to say the least. Early in employ, culture and atmosphere was family-like, management and supervisor stood up and supported all employees.

Cons

Management and supervision changes resulted in a total culture toxicity. Nepotism, favoritism, use of sexual favors for advancement became rampant as loyal employees were railroaded, discriminated against, and even fired because of trumped up reasons. Company political agenda forced on employees to the point being forced to sign form letters to sitting officials that the company had drafted.

Advice to Management

Have some common decency where your employees are concerned, and stop using pay to force people to tolerate all sorts of demeaning and unfair treatment. Clean up your management and supervision and stop promoting people based on how far you can get them to bow.

Gone downhill... Why do I still work here?

Current Employee - Production in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Production in Norfolk, NE

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is steady dependable job. Good experience to go elsewhere.

Cons

Pay not very good.... Promise of more but not realistic. Safety is talked a lot but killing 2 people this year is horrible. Guy lost his arm in Connecticut! The company cares about money not teammates. Environmental is poor. They just hide it. It is going to catch up soon. Chemicals leaked in ground? No... You don't need to report that.

Advice to Management

Care about teammates, safety and stop allowing environmental issues to happen! Containment allowed chemicals to leak? Report it! Don't hide behind lawyers.

The Educated are overlooked

Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Nucor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job stability.....you won't get fired. If you aren't educated, don't have a clue what you are doing, but put a smile on your face every day, you have a good shot at management!!

Cons

Education doesn't seem to matter with this company. Most often those that are educated are overlooked. Many of the managers don't have any previous experience in the area in which they are managing. This causes difficulty for those under the management. How can management guide you if they don't have a clue of what they are doing. The pay scale is standard across the board regardless of the state you live in and the cost of living in that state. Doesn't equal out!!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to a person's experience and education. Education is important and very costly. Those of us that paid a lot of money for our education deserve a shot. A person should be promoted based on experience and education not WHO they know.

8. poor place to work

Former Employee - NONE in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - NONE in Hartford, CT

I worked at Nucor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

thought about it long and hard to try and make my review seem more credible but i just can't think of anything good.

Cons

nucor works under the philosophy that nucor comes first. not your family or anything else. They believe that they own you once you are employed. They promise you the world and its all lies. They harass and intimidate there employees. They use intimidation to make people lie about injuries so they can seem like a safe place to work. There production bonus and bonus day structure is well, ill say this "get with the times nucor" . There are no real business people in management. just a bunch of butt kissers. Most of the people in charge are not leaders at all. I will leave it at this. If you want to live to work, nucor is the place for you. Expect to work 70+ hours a week for your base rate and a half so figure your over time will be 16 a hour.

Advice to Management

from experience it does not matter what advice i give. your going to do what ever you want to protect yourself and make the employees look like the bad ones. Dan DiMicco I'm going to approve simply because i do not think you have a clue whats going on at the connecticut location. Its time to do some house cleaning and start with management. The proof is in the pudding.

A bad place

Former Employee - Production Worker in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Wallingford, CT

Pros

Honestly the only pro I can say is they make you more aware of safety issues.

Cons

Without sounding immature and being completely honest the place is terrible depending on the location. You will see some very happy people in the above reviews , but that's only because there location is run well. Some of the cons are vacation time could be better, no sick time at all, and the Biggest one is they have way to much control over your money. You will work tons of overtime and it won't be anything like you are used to. Time and a half sure but it all depends how the plant is running. I found myself working 60 plus hours a week and my over time for most of it was 15.60 a hour because the production hours did not exceed 45 hours. I never saw my family and I couldn't even be proud to take home a huge paycheck. The over time sucks! Also don't let them full you when it comes to the good life they all talk about. They will talk nucor up to be the best place to work and you will be very disappointed. This review is not just my opinion every single person I made friends with there felt the same way. It was really a sight to see. Every lunch break no one talked , not because we didn't like each other but because we were all on job search websites! Anyway I have a great job now at a great place and if you decide to work there that's on you but after 1 week when you hate it, and you will go back and read this review. Told you so! Former nucor connecticut employee

Advice to Management

Stop lying! Take responsibility for your bad decisions and stop putting them on the little people. Start truly caring about your employees safety and well being. Get with the times!!! Not a single sick day lol . Production really what's this Russia in the 1960s. Start promoting people who deserve it!

Is the pay worth it?

Current Employee - Exit Bander in Trinity, AL
    Current Employee - Exit Bander in Trinity, AL

Pros

The 4 on and 4 off rotating 12 hour schedule gives a lot of time off when you are on it, they change your schedule quite frequently at the cold side. The pay is the motivating factor.

Cons

There is a huge buddy system here. A lot of Nucor employees that were denied promotions for several years (17+) at other plants have transferred to this new plant and have been promoted to supervisor due to lack of management choices. The heat and dust is a problem, employees just have to make due.

Advice to Management

Communication with all employees, way too many secrets about schedules, business climate and just routine daily operations. Just because a person can play golf doesn't mean they are the best or earned the next promotion.

Nucor Steel Decatur

Current Employee - Electrical Maintenance in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Electrical Maintenance in Decatur, AL

Pros

Great Pay. Supportive of independent work and self-motivated individuals. Allows for a great addition to your resume.

Cons

Inept management Must sacrifice normal time off at a moments notice Very Mediocre benefits. You lose money when you take off time for vacation or for illness.

Advice to Management

Reread Ken Iverson's books to relearn why his philosophies worked and should have never been changed.

RSS Feed </> Embed