Nucor

www.nucor.com

Nucor Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Nucor – Flowood – “At work”

Nucor Chairman, President, and CEO Dan DiMicco

Dan DiMicco

Worked tirelessly in an attempt to establish a career only to be mistreated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Trinity, AL

ProsPay and benefits are above average, to say the least.
    Early in employ, culture and atmosphere was family-like, management and supervisor stood up and supported all employees.

ConsManagement and supervision changes resulted in a total culture toxicity. Nepotism, favoritism, use of sexual favors for advancement became rampant as loyal employees were railroaded, discriminated against, and even fired because of trumped up reasons. Company political agenda forced on employees to the point being forced to sign form letters to sitting officials that the company had drafted.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some common decency where your employees are concerned, and stop using pay to force people to tolerate all sorts of demeaning and unfair treatment. Clean up your management and supervision and stop promoting people based on how far you can get them to bow.

bad place to work

Uititly (Current Employee)

Prosthere is none the only way to move up is to kiss up because on matter how much you know you will not go any where if you dont kiss up with management.

Consbad management in both melt shop and rolling mill the only way you move up is to suck up to them

Advice to Senior Managementgm needs to get a gule and wake up and take a long hard look with management team

Great pay, egregious compulsory overtime, and very low employee moral

Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) Decatur, AL

ProsPay, and some very bright people to learn from and work with.

ConsRidiculous overtime requirements, poor management. This particular business unit of Nucor strayed very far from Ken Iversons' original philosophy. Gestapo supervision and management techniques. The place sickened me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart firing managers, and stop firing and demoting the good supervisors. The place has gone to hell in a hurry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for the bills, horrible on moral.

Crane Operator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prospays well for most positions

ConsMost managers and supervisors there in seattle hold old culture (good ol day mills) , not real Nucor culture that I've read or been talked about from other visiting Nucor EE's. A couple of managers there need to retire or be evaluated for a forced retirement. I had been employed with the company for almost 5 years. Within that time I had nothing but a clean track record and provided them with top notch work you'd expect from a high paying employer. I see a new wave of employees moving in that make me believe on day they'll be caught up with the rest of corporation, wich is a some what of a relieving perception I guess. I wish corporate would listen and react accordingly to there mandatory employee surveys we fill out annually, I personally believe it make a great difference within. They will pound safety in your head but at the same time throw you in situations that are highly hazardous to your health and well being just to turn there back and hope for the best. Ask anyone employed within the shipping department on how dangerous there scrap problem was and is. Thousands of tons of scrap intertwined with finished product and common walk ways ( not designated for this purpose ). It hasnt always been a problem, its just had managements blind eye turned from the issue because it became out of control within the last few years. The managers that hold true concern lie frustrated and concerned but than again are out numbered in Seattle. Its really sad to me cause I left a place I may have been able to stick around and help change things. Seattle has great potential and I see that. I met many great people I will always stay in contact with forever. The straw that broke the camels back for me was being denied a job within for purposes that were bias. Had nothing to do with my work ethic. I was the only person who submitted a bid on the job and my bid sheet went straight in the garbage with no consideration. Be careful when applying. Most people dont mind working around some of there fixable safety issues. The proof is in the pudding, I left a job that payed me 80k a year with no back up plan. Money became less important to me, I was loosing my mind seeing all of there neglect. Its a game of favorites within Seattles walls and not all favorites have pure intentions. If your in a position to relocate I highly recommend applying with Nucor, Just not Seattle.

my only major regret is leaving without trying to contribute to a more positive changes and to stand up for what is right. Then again I still have whats most important to me, a kind, loving, and understanding family whom stand up and support my decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementId highly advise corporate to hire qualified EE's from other mills to take over more rolls within Seattles team. We seemed to have brought in some special people whom do indeed hold true Nucor culture. We need real team leaders not problem dodgers, and paycheck chasers.

nu iron pt lisas

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

Prosnu iron maintenance department is cultured as well as contained a equipped and experienced staff who knows the plant inside out, a lot of experienced is gained due to frequent plant maintenance shutdown, opening of vessels and reformers.

Consmanagement has no direction to the future of production and forecasting. staff is phenomenal however without direction ,proper budgeting of finance and maintenance program, the department is reduced to clutter

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement require personals with proper management and forecasting skills who is firm enough to ascertain pertinent decisions viable to both staffing and company's future both financially and economically

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay but you need to consider the hourly rate when you divide your salary by 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year

ConsVery dedicated work force that believes in the company The problem is the management has no leadership qualities. They were taught to say the script taught to them and have no idea how to plan or strategize and involve the team. They are puppets who worked their way up and are afraid to stir. No backbone even thought the "culture" is to have integrity and be courageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to say the right things. Listen, understand and guide your teams and divisions to help them succeed. Quit thinking your management team are there to "do the right thing". Accept that THEY are not going to make waves and will ride the wave as long as they can. The market will take care of it so why do they have to.

Not what's advertised, but lots of money to be made if that's all you care about.

ProsTop notch pay.
    Awesome profit sharing.
    Family fun day at Busch Gardens

ConsNo real vacation. Many people have had vacation either go uncovered or forced upon others and resulting in cancelled plans.
    Mediocre health plan.
    Management does not appear to want honest open feedback and communication.
    Modifications or trying new things are limited to what does not hold up production. I have seen one person research and do a lot of leg work for top of the line and safe modifications to be made but they were told no, not because of money or because of safety concerns, but because they(management) did not like the idea.
    Too many political games when it comes to promotions. Good ol' boys club often wins out over the more qualified individual.
    Lean manning makes vacation and time off a significant hassle.
    No room to grow due to poor manning, many employees have quit over the past two to three years.
    Poor supervisory team has led to a disgruntled team that is performing at less than they are capable.
    You will be told the company wants open honest feedback but anyone that attempts to provide it, whether tactfully or not, is viewed as having a bad attitude or not being a team player.
    Little to no leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at the managerial and supervisory teams that have resulted in so many people leaving such a good paying job. There are many other employees that want to leave but can't due to having other local ties.

Discouraging

Skilled Worker With A Degree (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPay, a lot of the front line employees are excellent people. Very talented and generous with there time.

ConsOppressive policies, managers and supervisors have no real management skills, play favorites as bad as any giant corp

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at Nucor Seattle. Over my employment I've watched a very satisfied workforce become a universally miserable one. We have continued to make good money in seattle so it isn't the economy. They've got everybody walking on egg shells here, people that have been here for years and used to love it are looking for a way out. When you have a crew and everybody is miserable because of one guy something isn't right. When our managers refuse to address safety issues because the alternative is too expensive (at the expense of employee health and safety) it doesn't sit well with anyone. Especially when safety is constantly drilled into everyone's head and used to reprimand and fire people.

nu-iron review

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Couva (Trinidad and Tobago)

Prospay is ok
    fast pace organization
    lots of experience

Consslavery style management strategy,
     no flexibility.
    no training
    no upliftment

Advice to Senior Managementall of management need to be changed
    head quarters is obilivious to this company

always changing with no regard for the employees affected

Prosstable company with no layoff policy, starting pay rate is very competitive for the area, very safety oriented work environment

Consunable to resolve problems efficiently, ever changing schedules, always required to go in early and stay late with little or no compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen changes are necessary to survive in a hostile economy, be clear about exactly who is making the changes, why the changes are necessary, who the changes will affect and exactly what the changes are.

Worked for Nucor? Contribute to the Community!