Nucor Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

3.4

Nucor Chairman, President, and CEO Dan DiMicco
Dan DiMicco

Worked tirelessly in an attempt to establish a career only to be mistreated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Trinity, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trinity, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average, to say the least.
    Early in employ, culture and atmosphere was family-like, management and supervisor stood up and supported all employees.

Cons

Management and supervision changes resulted in a total culture toxicity. Nepotism, favoritism, use of sexual favors for advancement became rampant as loyal employees were railroaded, discriminated against, and even fired because of trumped up reasons. Company political agenda forced on employees to the point being forced to sign form letters to sitting officials that the company had drafted.

Have some common decency where your employees are concerned, and stop using pay to force people to tolerate all sorts of demeaning and unfair treatment. Clean up your management and supervision and stop promoting people based on how far you can get them to bow.

Nucor

Current Employee - Lead Maintenance Tech  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Maintenance Tech in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Nucor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Salary, Excellent focus on safety

Cons

Company philosophy is beginning to change, and in my opinion, for the worse.

More autonomy out in the mill. Allow and encourage people to make decisions, right or wrong. People learn more from making a wrong decision than having all of their choices made for them. People should have the right to fail.

Good pay for labor job

Former Employee - Locomotive  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Locomotive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good for labor work

Cons

Pay is based on production; management controls production level. Hours do not allow for a life outside of the cor!

Allow company to grow and be competitive in a world market

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, but the longer I'm there the more disillusioned I become.

I have been working at Nucor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart people. Lots of room for advancement if you're willing to move. Bonus good and profit sharing. Employees empowered by management. Executives know many of the employees that work for them, which is unusual in an organization of this size.

Cons

Vacation terrible. Locations tend to be remote. Company is growing so fast it seems to be losing it's culture. Organization seems to be more and more political to a point where employees & managers are scared to speak up for fear of career repercussions.

Good job period!

Former Employee - Scrap Inspector  in  Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Scrap Inspector in Flowood, MS

I worked at Nucor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and great 401 k plan bonuses are great Caring management cool coworkers and they take safety serious.

Cons

Long hours and some of the jobs require hard work and you have to be aware of your surroundings and be safe and look out for other coworkers

Loyalty returned

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Nucor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am truly empowered to do my job. I receive plenty of training. The benefits are great. There is limitless potential. And, the pay is great your division does its job well!

Cons

None really that I am aware of. I really like almost everything about working at Nucor. The only negatives are small things that exist at every company on earth.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Best, safest US company

Former Employee - Safety Intern  in  Norfolk, NE
    Former Employee - Safety Intern in Norfolk, NE

I worked at Nucor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Open culture. Incredibly safe. High pay. Ability to move around. Low management structure.

Cons

Dangerous conditions if you do not follow procedure. Long hours. Benefits take a long time to accumulate.

Keep up the low management structure.

Manager

I worked at Nucor

Pros

Good pay but you need to consider the hourly rate when you divide your salary by 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year

Cons

Very dedicated work force that believes in the company The problem is the management has no leadership qualities. They were taught to say the script taught to them and have no idea how to plan or strategize and involve the team. They are puppets who worked their way up and are afraid to stir. No backbone even thought the "culture" is to have integrity and be courageous.

Quit trying to say the right things. Listen, understand and guide your teams and divisions to help them succeed. Quit thinking your management team are there to "do the right thing". Accept that THEY are not going to make waves and will ride the wave as long as they can. The market will take care of it so why do they have to.

Fair Company to work at.

I have been working at Nucor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary, Good People, Great Culture for most part.

Cons

Management from different divisions could communicate better.

Continue to keep us the number 1 steel company to work for.

Not what's advertised, but lots of money to be made if that's all you care about.

I have been working at Nucor full-time

Pros

Top notch pay.
    Awesome profit sharing.
    Family fun day at Busch Gardens

Cons

No real vacation. Many people have had vacation either go uncovered or forced upon others and resulting in cancelled plans.
    Mediocre health plan.
    Management does not appear to want honest open feedback and communication.
    Modifications or trying new things are limited to what does not hold up production. I have seen one person research and do a lot of leg work for top of the line and safe modifications to be made but they were told no, not because of money or because of safety concerns, but because they(management) did not like the idea.
    Too many political games when it comes to promotions. Good ol' boys club often wins out over the more qualified individual.
    Lean manning makes vacation and time off a significant hassle.
    No room to grow due to poor manning, many employees have quit over the past two to three years.
    Poor supervisory team has led to a disgruntled team that is performing at less than they are capable.
    You will be told the company wants open honest feedback but anyone that attempts to provide it, whether tactfully or not, is viewed as having a bad attitude or not being a team player.
    Little to no leadership.

Take a serious look at the managerial and supervisory teams that have resulted in so many people leaving such a good paying job. There are many other employees that want to leave but can't due to having other local ties.

Worked for Nucor? Contribute to the Community!