Nutraceutical Reviews

Frank W. Gay, II

1. Family friendly, stable company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Nutraceutical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Low stress environment. Stable company with steady management. Allows for flexibility with family.

Cons

Micromanaged. Little room for decision making that does not require executive approval. Tends to pay below market average.

Advice to Management

Allow managers, directors, and VPs more latitude for decision making

Very disorganized and lackadaisical

Former Employee - Product Manager in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Park City, UT

I worked at Nutraceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people that really seemed to care about their job

Cons

Senior management is the con. They seem to have very little respect or regard for those "under"them; sexist & racist to boot.

Advice to Management

Listen and care.

3. Vaxa Was Great before Nutraceutical

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brandon, FL

I worked at Nutraceutical (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice pay and not micromanaged

Cons

Was great till Nutraceutical bought them. There were no products to sell and they don't seem to care. Their tag line was "there is no such thing as a vitamin emergency" Nice...Now how is a sales rep suppose to convey that to a good customer?

Advice to Management

VAXA was a great place to work until Nutraceutical bought them them. We went from having over 40 products to sell to 10 and we had to explain to customers that sorry the product you came to rely on all these years is no longer available. Nutraceutical killed VAXA!!!

5. Great Company -- Great Manager

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Nutraceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I could not ask for a better direct manager. He is intelligent, creative, hard-working and fair. He assists in all projects and is always quick to respond even when traveling. He is very understanding and allows you to be creative and innovative on projects. I have not only had a positive experience with direct management, but each and every time I have worked with an executive directly it had been a positive experience and they have never had a demeaning manner. Lastly, the company (management, HR, & executives) has been more than understanding with my hectic work and school schedule and have been flexible and easy to work with. Great company and great employees!

Cons

Sometimes there is a high amount of responsibility that piles up and it can be stressful, but no more than any other job.

Frustrating experience

I worked at Nutraceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my co-workers were nice. Easy 8-5 job, no overtime or high pressure.

Cons

Where to begin? The health care plan was horrible, upper management micromanaged my work and there was a long chain of approvals--one of the most frustrating things was that I never had access to the person who ultimately approved or asked for changes to my work, it was all through verbal communication. In graphic design that just doesn't work well. It was design by committee and it shows, so many of my designs went to print looking like a crazy quilt. Nepotism abound. Religious preference abound. Oh! And if you work in a satellite office, like me, you will lose your job when you have a baby. Since these offices are not large enough to be covered under FMLA, the company would rather let you go if you're going to take that much time off (I suspect because upper management believes women belong at home if they have children, I really don't understand the cost incentive to hire someone new rather pay maternity leave, but whatever), even though they employ 2,000 nationwide and make millions every year.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you know everything about every job every employee does. No CEO does, and you need to realize it's ok. Trust your employees to do the jobs they are trained and educated to do. And please start treating women better as well as anyone outside of your religion. We can see right through you. It's harming morale, creating high turnover, and it makes you a real jerk.

A house of cards with a shiny facade...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ogden, UT

I worked at Nutraceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, coworkers are nice, offices are new and clean

Cons

Very high turnover in my department considering how well we are paid. Reasons for high turnover became apparent shortly after I was hired. Anti-patterns recognized as big no-nos in the rest of the IT world flourish here. These anti-patterns result in reduced developer productivity while management falsely believes it's saving them work in the long run. Very old technologies still in place and so ingrained into the system they may never be replaced. The software written in-house is so inefficient it's a miracle the end-users get anything done at all. CEO comes up with a new business rule every week which of course becomes top priority, just like last week, and the week before that ad infinitum.

Advice to Management

Understand how your business works, THEN relay the requirements to your underlings. Don't make it up as you go.

I've worked for much better companies

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Nutraceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lower management is great, flexible schedule if needed, if you just want to show up and collect a check this is the company for you.

Cons

Horrible pay, after several years of exceeding expectations I was given a .27 raise. The health benefits are a joke. Absolutely no room for advancement and long time employees have a poor view of upper management which deters new employees, the overall morale of the employees is poor because they feel undervalued and under compensated. I have never received an employee review in the near 3 years of employment.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they are valued with better pay and benefits. Give annual reviews so employees know what their weakness and strengths are. There needs to policies and procedures that are available to new employees. Provide better training. When new administrative staff come on board or a new acquisition takes place introduce the new employees and what their roles are to current employees. Many times I, my coworkers and my supervisor have felt lost because we don't know who to contact in other departments when the need arises. Listen to your employees and take care of them otherwise you will waste money in losing talented employees and replacing them which causes more turnover which costs money that could have been spent retaining your talented hardworking employees

9. Flexible and aggressive

I have been working at Nutraceutical part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company was capable of making major decisions very quickly. They were very flexible with my time and enabled me to keep my family first. Most decisions were made outside of corporate office.

Cons

Headquarters were in a different time zone and communication was not always quick from corporate. Facilities were nationwide so coordinating documents and activities was challenging. Some odd restrictions on procurement.

Advice to Management

Allow plant managers and site managers to source supplies locally for quicker response time to needs and for cost savings.

An employer not interested in rewarding employee contributions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Nutraceutical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people working in the non-HQ locations are hard-working, passionate, and loyal employees. The location was close to my home so there was an easy commute. It offered a nice work/life balance most of the time. If you choose to work there, take advantage of the extra benefits such as the HSA and tuition assistance. Let them help you further your education. Paid time off and paid holidays are generous compared to other local, non-government employers.

Cons

If you are looking for a place where you feel appreciated - look somewhere else. There is a general feeling of disgruntlement organization-wide. No one makes a move without getting approval from the CEO. There is no employee recognition program...period. Even small, employee-organized potlucks/parties are frowned upon and banned in non-HQ locations. However, rumor has it that these abound in HQ. There is little job security as anyone is subject to a termination "at will" based on the CEO's discretion. Time off policies are subject to a year-by-year change. There is no set bonus schedule or commissions for sales people.

Advice to Management

Trust your management, trust your employees! They have the knowledge and skills to make you successful. Don't assume you have all the answers and that you need to micromanage every decision. Having a bonus/incentive schedule or paying commissions will boost employee morale and employees will want to share in the success of the company. Don't continue to take away every perk that made it a good place to work a decade ago.

11. Great Foundations of Business

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Ogden, UT

I worked at Nutraceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People to work with, good 4 0 1 K match, standard holiday's paid. Everyone is very understanding and easy to talk to

Cons

the only problem is the benefits, Health insurance is not the best better to find private insurance, I found cheaper insurance that was the same benefits that was a third of the price

RSS Feed </> Embed