NutriSystem
www.nutrisystem.com Fort Washington, PA 150 to 499 Employees

NutriSystem Reviews

Updated Mar 23, 2014
NutriSystem – Fort Washington – “Lounge”

Dawn M. Zier

Micro-managed, biased promoting & perks reduced or removed over time.

Weight Loss Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

Prosthe hourly positions pay very well. there are no other pros to working for this company unless you only care about $

Consintense micro-managing, "friends" promoted over valuable, longtime employees, holidays are less each year along with less perks each year. The company changes policies without notice and claims there being "technical errors" when they change procedures - management will send an email stating they are "working on it", then some time later you are told this is the new way of doing things. Calls used to have a 10 second delay that suddenly went to 4 seconds without notice. We were told it was a technical error and it would be fixed, just do the best we can. When asked for an update, we were told they were keeping the 4 second delay as it "seemed to be working out fine." Then the 4 sec delay went to no delay at all. Again, without notice, told it was a technical error and would be fixed, to do the best we can. At the same time, a manager had informed a co-worker that this was the new procedure and not a "technical error" at all. If you work on the online team, you are not able to look away from your pc screen for longer than 10 seconds (literally) as you can miss an incoming message; miss too many (9 or more) and you drop below expected grading. Yes, you will receive scores on about 9 different things, from your attendance to the amount of time you spend off of the phone/online. Your PTO expires at the end of the year, however your absences will carry over until the following year. You will be fired if you are absent 8 days within a calendar year (about 3% of the time for a 5 day work week per year). One employee was walking into the building to start work when struck by a passing car - management called an ambulance for him, but also gave him an absence. The company received a called-in bomb threat and did not evacuate the building or call the local police/fire department. The only manager who attempted an evacuation was terminated not long later. It was reported that the company did not have an evacuation plan in place, as shown by a letter from OSHA insisting that one be provided to all employees by a specific date. After 2 years, I personally never once experienced a practice fire drill, but we did have another bomb threat called in about 5 months after the first one - where we did get to evacuate. However management attempted to have us return to work before the fire department had cleared the building. This company is solely about the bottom line. The company has been re-structured 2-3 times in the last 2 years and not even upper management was safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire people you know personally, take some professionalism courses, along with customer service and human resources training.

This Company Ought To Be Embarrassed By Their Business Practices!!!

CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for less than a year

ProsA steady paycheck
Fellow Customer Service Representatives
Free coffee

ConsEmployee morale SUCKS. After alerting her boss she felt threatened one employee wasSEVERELY BEATEN WITH A BAG OF BRICKS @ 12AM in the morning. The stress the customer service reps are under is ATROCIOUS!
At some point I began to treat the company the way they treat the employees
THANK GOD MY STATE JOB SHOWED UP!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementA million dollar business yet computer equipment for first line contactors is horrendous! In training we were taught to never discuss the equipment or issues with the equipment which I found odd. Once outta training it was clear...AN ALL DAY EVERYDAY OCCURENCE TO THE EXTENT ITS EMBARASSING WHILE TALKING TO THE CUSTOMERS!!!
EXTREMELY LOW MORALE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE SALES OR ANY OTHER FIRST CONTACT DEPARTMENT.
Spend money on better trainers, training equipment and by all means TELL POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES THE TRUTH ABOUT THAT HORRIBLE PLACE!!!At 12Am one employee fommloewd the

Economy & new management changed this company for the worse

Weight Loss Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Good salary for entry level nutritionists and weight loss counselors. Heard it was tough in sales and retention (keeping customers from cancelling). Management at one point gave us 3 days paid when building was closed due to Hurricane Sandy. Unusual in a capitalist society. Year end bonus. There is some flexibility to be your own counselor and use your own techniques in weight loss counseling as long as it fits within their narrow framework. Ability to use your own knowledge of fitness training is wide open, as well as your own motivational techniques learned in counseling.However, this is a double-edged sword as you will work with counselors who use "guru science" and "old wives tales" instead of research based science to give advice on nutrition causing customers to get conflicting information each time they call. Only required to have around 3% of calls include a sale/upsell. No pressure to sell/upsell, but 3% commission if you do (as of May 2013). If offered most calls you will make that easy. Small part of overall scoring.

ConsCompany overall was wonderful to work for when Joe Redman was CEO. Since taking on Dawn Zier 12/2012, the company has "right sized" (chopped employees) and employees took on more work, benefits and perks were chopped, and the scripting for phone calls changed making it more difficult to have a natural flow of conversation, and more pressure on the customer turning them off to calling back for help.

Guidelines changes frequently, every few months. Must be able to adapt despite frustration from yourself, co-workers, and customers who've grown comfortable to a program that works for them then changes. Sometimes even supervisors aren't aware of the changes or how to adapt.

Narrow framework of eating program to work within, cookie cutter, with little to no flexibility in calories even if the program is too high for customers based on height/weight BMR. Very forced framework of scripting outline for each phone call, that if not followed EXACTLY you will be docked points when calls are graded by supervisors who don't work in the trenches. Even if you can justify your answer/advice or meeting a guideline, because it is not what your supervisor would say, you will be docked points. This is much talked about among co-workers, but nothing can be done about it. Even if customers give you highest scores on survey at the end of the call, you could receive failing scores from supervisors.

Only a half-hour lunch break, and 2 scheduled 10 minute breaks that if not taken absolutely on-time affects your overall score, and possibly your job. Lunch and breaks could be different times every day, not spaced out, and perhaps all in the first half of your day leaving you 3-4 hours at your desk with no relief. For example, a call goes long because you are giving a customer extra help, there is no sympathy from the time clock or management. You are basically a slave to that time clock (used through ADP online) but computers are outdated and slow causing delays logging in.

Coffee maker broken in counseling department for the past year (no exaggeration) and takes longer to walk to sales department to get coffee (using up 4 minutes of that 10 minute break just walking round-trip). Very high stress, high pressure from supervisors, although not a lot of pressure to sell at all. As of May 2013, revamped counselor scoring made it impossible to get out of probation if something happened and a part of your score was too low for too long (1 month). Supervisors realized this, but made no attempt to advocate for you.

Cafeteria downstairs is okay at best, but closes early at 3pm, and the slow, lazy 1 or 2 staff people usually starting closing up and taking all the food away at 2:30. Their offerings do not support the time sensitive nature of the short breaks employees have. Very few low-fat and low-carb options. Even vegetables are dripping in grease. No more coffee is made after 9:30am in cafeteria.

Time off used to be easy before 2013. But this year everyone was required to submit their requested days off by Thanksgiving 2012 for the year 2013. No one knows that far in advance. Sick days are counted as an absence, not a paid a day off. No sympathy. No way to make it up. And these absences count towards an employees overall scoring as stated above.

I was told that there are job shadowing events for the potential to move up or into other positions. None of these events or internship opportunities were held in 2 years I was there. Only a select few people made moves up or laterally due to supervisors leaving the company or moving to other departments. These moves appeared to be very political or on a buddy system, not based at all on experience. Two employees became team leaders after 9 months despite others who had been with the company 5+ years and sincerely wanted to move up and had the highest scores in the the team, maybe even the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees who work on the phones. They know what works and what doesn't, what customers want and need. Be more flexible and you'll have happier employees willing to work harder. Require degrees in NUTRITION or DIETETICS, not just a 4-year degree in anything. Degrees in Psychology or Fitness shouldn't count. Require using only research based nutrition advice, not stuff employees heard from their grandmothers or Dr Oz. And remember, there's no one right answer when it comes to counseling and conversation. Just because it's not the advice YOU would give, doesn't mean it's wrong.

One of the worst places i have ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem

ProsIt keeps you thinking about your own weight and getting in shape

ConsMean spirited unhappy people who don't work well together. Company is in a constant state of losing money, cutting programs and letting people go to try and keep investors happy, and not their customers. Not able to make any campaign stick other than cutting price of product......

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your value proposition and get a product that meets today's consumers desires and really see the value in what they are getting not just a "sale of the month". Then hire marketers who know what they are doing.

things aren't what they used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem

ProsEap, health insurance, gym in the building, cafeteria, the hr professionals are very nice. Caring people in the rank and file employees int he call center.

ConsNot the opportunity it used to be. Losing market share.

This was a very disappointing experience

Senior Management (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has the potential to make a difference in the weight loss category. Good premise of food delivery to home. 40 year history.

ConsThey keep doing the same thing and fear trying something new and listening to people who have experience with something other than "same old same old". Very poor team spirit. Back stabbing. Every man for himself. Revolving door. People sometimes don't even look at each other or say hello when they pass each other in the hall way!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions that show you care about people. Make decisions that show you know about marketing. Make decisions that are creative and innovative. It's not just about the numbers, though that matters, the numbers will improve if you also pay attention to everything else.

Long time employee, very satisfied

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for more than 5 years

ProsValue of company; Product provides a great service; Business Casual environment; Great team of people. Great company benefits- Gym, etc. Flexible work hours for all non call center employees.

ConsNegativity is cancerous, but a majority of people are very satisfied. The negative people generally are not taking control of their career. Nutrisystem is a great company to work for if you work hard and go above and beyond.

A good experience if you make it one

Weight Loss Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good pay, benefits, well kept office building, nice cafeteria and gym, counseling is an inherently rewarding position IF performed well, friendly coworkers, great product, free coffee. If you don't look for the negative, you will enjoy your time here.

ConsSometimes overly strict attendance policy, counselors sometimes need to perform the duties of the customer service department, job can be monotonous, recent software changes have not been successful, computers use Windows XP and often have minor problems

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no problems with the management in my department. If a weight loss counselor does their job well, they will not be micromanaged.

I'm beyond upset that I took this job!!

Weight Loss Counselor (Current Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for less than a year

ProsMy coworkers are really nice. A steady pay check. But the money could be double and it's not worth it. The pay is just "OK".

ConsWe were lied to about what the job was/is. We are not helping people on the phone. We are being forced to sell products to unhappy clients. And unhappy clients don't want to buy more food. But if we don't meet our marks each week we could be fired. And the company's stock has been going down hill for years. Maybe if they didn't make everyone working there feel over worked people would care more about thier jobs. Instead people are just leaving or waiting to be fired. I've never been in such a toxic place. I have a job interview coming up. I would tell everyone to not waste your time and look else where. No one is happy here. Read the reviews!! I wish I had before all this.

Advice to Senior ManagementLast time I checked everyone that works there is in thier 20's and up. No kids work there. So why treat us like children? Why follow us to the bathroom to see if that's where we are going? I've never been treated like this in my life. Treat people with respect, and you get respect back. It's really simple.

Its Ok For This Economy

Program Consultant (Current Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

Pros1) My fellow call center reps are great people; their jokes and personalities make shifts go by quicker.
2) Its steady pay.
3) You sit down all day.
4) If you're in school you can study in between calls.
5) Benefits
6) Free Coffee and tea.

Cons1) Management: They were all, and I mean all, promoted because of circumstance. Circumstance as in they just so happened to be there the longest, so they got promoted. Some of the supervisors are cold, uppity, and snippy.
2) The hourly rate is $12 for the Retention Department.
3) Retention is treated like the lowest life form.
4) They promise all this commission but you literally have to lie to the customer in order to "Retain" them, so you van get the commission.

The biggest con is; you don't get commission and hourly rate, its either or. So, which ever is biggest. You have to have over $960 in commission to get a commission check. $12 x 80 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to give commission and the hourly rate, or take away commission and raise the hourly rate. If management feels people will not work as hard if the commission is taken away and the hourly rate is raised, then make the performance reviews stricter. Also, retention feels I'm positive that 90% of the call center employees feels unappreciated, and under valued, Especially Program Consultants. Employees that feel valued work harder and smarter for you. Next, give each and every supervisor in that call center sensitivity and leadership training, tell them that they shouldn't talk down or about their subordinates, and patience is a virtue. Finally, I find it very odd that there is only one, ONE, black supervisor on the call center floor.

Worked for NutriSystem? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NutriSystem reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NutriSystem CEO Dawn M. Zier. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by NutriSystem employees.