NutriSystem
www.nutrisystem.com Fort Washington, PA 150 to 499 Employees

NutriSystem Reviews in Fort Washington, PA

Updated Mar 23, 2014
NutriSystem – Fort Washington – “Lounge”

Dawn M. Zier

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Weightloss Counselor

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for less than a year

ProsOrganized and successful company. Pay and commission was great AND overtime was offered, frequently. Friendly, laid back environment with casual dress. The company was always bringing perks to the floor: gifts, giftcards, lunch, snacks. The amount of weighloss of the clients was so much more successful than I had anticipated prior to working at Nutrisystem. This made the job so exciting!!

ConsI have no cons to share

Advice to Senior ManagementLoved the available overtime, commission and perks!

Great place, even for a contractor

ecommerce (Current Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at NutriSystem as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCasual atmosphere. Many people wear jeans. The new Wii and table games (foosball) in third floor common space give people a place to unwind.
Very friendly people.
I have been able to make my own schedule and come and go as fits my life. This is incredibly valuable.
I have a great manager and team. My manager consistently has my back and my fellow team members go out of their way to help me with new work.

ConsTensions definitely rise during diet season but it's more of a "all hands on deck" mentality. At least from my perspective stress was manageable, although as a contractor I didn't have much responsibility other than to get my work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. This company is definitely going places!

Good if you are an FT.... OK if you are a Contractor

Analyst (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I worked at NutriSystem as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWorked as a Contractor in their Business Dept not the Call Center.

Applies to both FT/Contractors:

- Freedom to work the way you want.

- Casual Dress Code

- Issues are resolved quickly

- Value proposed suggestions

Applies to Contractors:

- Dont treat you like a second grade citizen

ConsApplies to Contractors:

- FT Managers micro-manage Contractors timesheet approval.
If you charge 10-15 mins on a project ....you have to explain .....and if you work on many teams, then you end up explaining 5 different leads.
They are like "....the meeting ended 10 mins early why did you charge 1 hr, shouldn't you charge 50 mins only...." kind of a thing. And this is with most managers. And you end up spending half hour just documenting the hours worked per project. Now where does that half hour go??? :P

- Atleast in my department, they cared a Rats A** if you have knowledge or not. Which is a good thing if you are FT & bad if you are a contractor, coz they expect you to mentor/ coach the FT guy. And you know how it goes when it's time for the FT to give you credit ...NEVER!

- Depending on the manager, complaints on the contractor are handled differently. One manager was balanced, others were biased towards the FTs. Period.

Advice to Senior Management- Stop over spending on celebrities; instead use money for research and prove the science with data. Customers will buy.

- Stop Micro-managing contractors.

- If you expect 2 week notice from contractors before they leave, do the same when you let them go. :-)

Open environment, direct feedback, rewards through pay for performance

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunity to take on new challenges, automomy to make decisions, great leadership team as of 2013, improvements in accountbility, engagement and company revenues!

ConsIf you like to come to work and experience the same thing, day after day, this company is not for you. It attracts self-initiated, problem solvers, entrepreneurs, and resourceful people who enjoy new challenges and like to get positive results.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work turning Nutrisystem around. The improved results speak to the efforts of the dedicated employees and clear business direction of the new leadership. I have seen several employees leave the company thinking the grass is greener elsewhere, only to come back within a few months.

Great people makes Nutrisystem a great place to work

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at NutriSystem full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Pay for program consultants and sales reps. Easy going environment especially for a call center. Super friendly co-workers. Good opportunity for advancement. Supervisors, coaches generate an positive environment.

ConsOpen 365 days a year. Must work on holiday unless regular scheduled day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the things that has made the past year successful in rebuilding Nutrisystem. Open and honest communication is vital and always appreciated. Sales and Retention Reps feel they have a voice for the first time in quite a while. It certainly has shown through in retaining excellent and dedicated employees.

not bad

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy job, good entry level out of college.

ConsNot much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage

inside sales rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than 5 years

Prosworked there 6 years, money was good (in the beginning) each year your commission went down, and down, anywhere between 7-10k

Conspoor management, my supervisor started as a inside rep (when I did) he was an awful sales rep. I earned more than him. One time while he was my supervisor he took a sales call to show us what to do, say, etc. he was so awful, what a joke he was, he stuttered the whole time, he mad so many mistakes, they have unqualified supervisors, so management can control them better.

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is like a sinking ship, every 2 years they change cfo. their stock keeps dropping,
they haven't changed the product for the last 4 years, all they do is change discounts and add's. They don't even have celebrity spokes people anymore. they can't afford to pay them. I have one word to sum up company (TITANIC)

Micro-managed, biased promoting & perks reduced or removed over time.

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

Prosthe hourly positions pay very well. there are no other pros to working for this company unless you only care about $

Consintense micro-managing, "friends" promoted over valuable, longtime employees, holidays are less each year along with less perks each year. The company changes policies without notice and claims there being "technical errors" when they change procedures - management will send an email stating they are "working on it", then some time later you are told this is the new way of doing things. Calls used to have a 10 second delay that suddenly went to 4 seconds without notice. We were told it was a technical error and it would be fixed, just do the best we can. When asked for an update, we were told they were keeping the 4 second delay as it "seemed to be working out fine." Then the 4 sec delay went to no delay at all. Again, without notice, told it was a technical error and would be fixed, to do the best we can. At the same time, a manager had informed a co-worker that this was the new procedure and not a "technical error" at all. If you work on the online team, you are not able to look away from your pc screen for longer than 10 seconds (literally) as you can miss an incoming message; miss too many (9 or more) and you drop below expected grading. Yes, you will receive scores on about 9 different things, from your attendance to the amount of time you spend off of the phone/online. Your PTO expires at the end of the year, however your absences will carry over until the following year. You will be fired if you are absent 8 days within a calendar year (about 3% of the time for a 5 day work week per year). One employee was walking into the building to start work when struck by a passing car - management called an ambulance for him, but also gave him an absence. The company received a called-in bomb threat and did not evacuate the building or call the local police/fire department. The only manager who attempted an evacuation was terminated not long later. It was reported that the company did not have an evacuation plan in place, as shown by a letter from OSHA insisting that one be provided to all employees by a specific date. After 2 years, I personally never once experienced a practice fire drill, but we did have another bomb threat called in about 5 months after the first one - where we did get to evacuate. However management attempted to have us return to work before the fire department had cleared the building. This company is solely about the bottom line. The company has been re-structured 2-3 times in the last 2 years and not even upper management was safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire people you know personally, take some professionalism courses, along with customer service and human resources training.

This Company Ought To Be Embarrassed By Their Business Practices!!!

CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee)

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for less than a year

ProsA steady paycheck
Fellow Customer Service Representatives
Free coffee

ConsEmployee morale SUCKS. After alerting her boss she felt threatened one employee wasSEVERELY BEATEN WITH A BAG OF BRICKS @ 12AM in the morning. The stress the customer service reps are under is ATROCIOUS!
At some point I began to treat the company the way they treat the employees
THANK GOD MY STATE JOB SHOWED UP!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementA million dollar business yet computer equipment for first line contactors is horrendous! In training we were taught to never discuss the equipment or issues with the equipment which I found odd. Once outta training it was clear...AN ALL DAY EVERYDAY OCCURENCE TO THE EXTENT ITS EMBARASSING WHILE TALKING TO THE CUSTOMERS!!!
EXTREMELY LOW MORALE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE SALES OR ANY OTHER FIRST CONTACT DEPARTMENT.
Spend money on better trainers, training equipment and by all means TELL POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES THE TRUTH ABOUT THAT HORRIBLE PLACE!!!At 12Am one employee fommloewd the

Economy & new management changed this company for the worse

I worked at NutriSystem full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Good salary for entry level nutritionists and weight loss counselors. Heard it was tough in sales and retention (keeping customers from cancelling). Management at one point gave us 3 days paid when building was closed due to Hurricane Sandy. Unusual in a capitalist society. Year end bonus. There is some flexibility to be your own counselor and use your own techniques in weight loss counseling as long as it fits within their narrow framework. Ability to use your own knowledge of fitness training is wide open, as well as your own motivational techniques learned in counseling.However, this is a double-edged sword as you will work with counselors who use "guru science" and "old wives tales" instead of research based science to give advice on nutrition causing customers to get conflicting information each time they call. Only required to have around 3% of calls include a sale/upsell. No pressure to sell/upsell, but 3% commission if you do (as of May 2013). If offered most calls you will make that easy. Small part of overall scoring.

ConsCompany overall was wonderful to work for when Joe Redman was CEO. Since taking on Dawn Zier 12/2012, the company has "right sized" (chopped employees) and employees took on more work, benefits and perks were chopped, and the scripting for phone calls changed making it more difficult to have a natural flow of conversation, and more pressure on the customer turning them off to calling back for help.

Guidelines changes frequently, every few months. Must be able to adapt despite frustration from yourself, co-workers, and customers who've grown comfortable to a program that works for them then changes. Sometimes even supervisors aren't aware of the changes or how to adapt.

Narrow framework of eating program to work within, cookie cutter, with little to no flexibility in calories even if the program is too high for customers based on height/weight BMR. Very forced framework of scripting outline for each phone call, that if not followed EXACTLY you will be docked points when calls are graded by supervisors who don't work in the trenches. Even if you can justify your answer/advice or meeting a guideline, because it is not what your supervisor would say, you will be docked points. This is much talked about among co-workers, but nothing can be done about it. Even if customers give you highest scores on survey at the end of the call, you could receive failing scores from supervisors.

Only a half-hour lunch break, and 2 scheduled 10 minute breaks that if not taken absolutely on-time affects your overall score, and possibly your job. Lunch and breaks could be different times every day, not spaced out, and perhaps all in the first half of your day leaving you 3-4 hours at your desk with no relief. For example, a call goes long because you are giving a customer extra help, there is no sympathy from the time clock or management. You are basically a slave to that time clock (used through ADP online) but computers are outdated and slow causing delays logging in.

Coffee maker broken in counseling department for the past year (no exaggeration) and takes longer to walk to sales department to get coffee (using up 4 minutes of that 10 minute break just walking round-trip). Very high stress, high pressure from supervisors, although not a lot of pressure to sell at all. As of May 2013, revamped counselor scoring made it impossible to get out of probation if something happened and a part of your score was too low for too long (1 month). Supervisors realized this, but made no attempt to advocate for you.

Cafeteria downstairs is okay at best, but closes early at 3pm, and the slow, lazy 1 or 2 staff people usually starting closing up and taking all the food away at 2:30. Their offerings do not support the time sensitive nature of the short breaks employees have. Very few low-fat and low-carb options. Even vegetables are dripping in grease. No more coffee is made after 9:30am in cafeteria.

Time off used to be easy before 2013. But this year everyone was required to submit their requested days off by Thanksgiving 2012 for the year 2013. No one knows that far in advance. Sick days are counted as an absence, not a paid a day off. No sympathy. No way to make it up. And these absences count towards an employees overall scoring as stated above.

I was told that there are job shadowing events for the potential to move up or into other positions. None of these events or internship opportunities were held in 2 years I was there. Only a select few people made moves up or laterally due to supervisors leaving the company or moving to other departments. These moves appeared to be very political or on a buddy system, not based at all on experience. Two employees became team leaders after 9 months despite others who had been with the company 5+ years and sincerely wanted to move up and had the highest scores in the the team, maybe even the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees who work on the phones. They know what works and what doesn't, what customers want and need. Be more flexible and you'll have happier employees willing to work harder. Require degrees in NUTRITION or DIETETICS, not just a 4-year degree in anything. Degrees in Psychology or Fitness shouldn't count. Require using only research based nutrition advice, not stuff employees heard from their grandmothers or Dr Oz. And remember, there's no one right answer when it comes to counseling and conversation. Just because it's not the advice YOU would give, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Worked for NutriSystem? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NutriSystem reviews and ratings in Fort Washington, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NutriSystem CEO Dawn M. Zier. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by NutriSystem employees.