Nutro Products

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.3

Paul S. Michaels

Your success and career growth is up to you.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nutro Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training, ability to work on projects outside everyday responsibilities. No micro managing your success and career growth is up to you. They believe in family and work/life balance..
    Wonderful culture focused on five principles (accountability, responsibility, freedom, mutuality, efficiency) bonuses are paid on teams performance. They give you the opportunity to improve your skills with everything from professional classes, on line video training and even books suggestions.

Cons

You are working with highly skilled professional people, you better keep up on your training and learning new skills as they top grade ever couple of years. The reorganization can be stressful.

Mars Corporation has degraded the product and disrespected the original Nutro employees.

I worked at Nutro Products part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hourly rate for PNS work is good. Nutro PNS at one time were far better trained than most pet store vendor reps. Not sure if that is still true. Nutro production facilities exercise good quality control.

Cons

1) Mars Corporate management has systematically purged the original Nutro management and denigrated the hard work and talent that built the Nutro label. Mars has shown no respect for the original Nutro people.
    2) Mars Corporation does not communicate with the rank and file...there's no vertical communication in either direction.
    3) Nutro isn't a distinct brand anymore..."Mars Pet Care" includes Pedigree, Little Caesars, Royal Canin, Nutro, Iams, and Eukanuba.
    4) PNS work in pet stores but we are not allowed to touch any pets - no other pet store staff or vendor reps subscribe to that policy. Acknowledging someone's pet is a great way to open a conversation about pet products but Mars disallows it. It completely hamstrings the approach. Why send personnel to work in a pet store if you don't think they know how to avoid a dog bite?

1) Honor the talent, the hard work, and dedication of the original Nutro people and integrate them into Mars Pet Care - but it may be too late for that.
    2) Remember what made Nutro a respected and trusted product and don't take that trust for granted. You are losing shelf space everywhere.
    3) Provide more channels for open communication to/from "the field."

Best ever

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Nutro Products

Pros

Loved working at Nutro. Family of coworkers. Miss them. Great products.

Cons

Mars purchased compsny.and moved to Tennessee. Core management has different philosophy.

Let the sales team do what they know best.

Best decision ever t go with The Nutro Company

Current Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Nutro Products part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Disctrict Managers treat employees with respect and like the adults. Worked for a competitor for almost 7 years. Horrible experience the last 4 years should have left then. They assumed all employees were liars and cheats and treated us as such. My manager at Nutro looks you in the eyes, shakes your hand and answers questions. His goal is not to find something wrong.

Cons

Have not been with the company long enough to have any complaints. So far.....all is good.

Need an updated employee handbook. Read all the info I was given, then learned that most of it no longer applies.

The Nutro Company Division of Mars, Inc.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Tabor, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Tabor, NC

I have been working at Nutro Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

stable, generous time off policies no feedback management not approachable no growth opportunities contineous changing commission structure
    generous time off policies
    good vacation
    flexiable
    goal oriented
    self directed

Cons

liers-not a family company
    can't speak your mind
    product quality bad

NUTRO ain't what it used to be, poor quality training, food too expensive

Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nutro Products part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Higher hourly rate than other pet food demo companies

Cons

The TDM (territory demo manager) I worked for did not give any direction, made excuses about his lack of performance, would not answer simple emails and plain made it impossible to work for him if you were a sane or rational person. I just got fed up and quit. I cannot stand incompetence and this guy was incompentent with a capital "I"

Do a better job of vetting your TDM's. Most of your demo reps don't care about doing a good job because the TDM's don't care about anything other than getting their quarterly bonuses so the negativity rolls down the line. Very disappointed in Nutro because Nutro used to be the company all pet food demo reps wanted to work for. Not anymore :(

Decent but Inconsistent Management

Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Nutro Products part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, hours are good and the work is fun and easy.

Cons

I left the company because during the 6 months I worked for them they went through four different district managers. I didn't even know who to contact anymore because upper management was constantly changing. Also because of this, benefits like vouchers for a free bag of pet food came late or not at all.

Get some consistency in management.

LOVE IT

Current Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Pet Nutrition Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Nutro Products part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dogs, people, weekend hours, supplemental $. I have not loved a job or company anymore my boss is no longer with the company but when hired i was taken to lunch and trained extensively.

Cons

On feet for 4 hours straight; but they are very upfront about that

COUPONS!

It's what you make it. Big wheel turns slow, but some risk taking management could really grow the company.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Nutro Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair to above average pay, good benefits, work-life balance is becoming more and more apart of the new culture.

Cons

Slow promotion cycle, senior managers always promoting from other Mars units.

Take some risk, without doing so, you'll be like every other 3 year cycled-out senior leader who underperforms.

It ran its course.

I worked at Nutro Products

Pros

Salary, Home Office, Training, Immediate Line Management

Cons

Upper Management not engaged with field concerns