Nystrom and Associates

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
4.1

Brian Nystrom

Fantastic structure with growth potential.

Former Employee - Multiple Possitions in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Multiple Possitions in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With hard work and professionalism, you will work your way up quickly. No matter the possition you hold, you will walk away from this company a better employee. The pay is very fair, and management cares a great deal about every employee.

Cons

Office politics and gossiping are out of control, but if you keep your head down, do your work, limit your association outside of work with co-workers, avoid rumors and people who spread them, and stay profesional, you will do just fine. Benefits also aren't great, but the pay makes up for most of this.

Better benefits, especially medical.

Great company to grow with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working with Nystrom & Associates for approximately the last 5 years and have had a tremendous opportunity to grow with this company. I feel that my strengths as an employee have been recognized and I have been given opportunities to use them to their fullest.

Over my time here I have also witnessed many positive changes in how business is run and how operations are handled. I have consistently seen a drive by management to take whatever steps are needed to improve the company for both the clients and employees and am proud to tell people about where I work and the work that we do.

Cons

I have no concerns to report at this time. As previously stated management is very receptive to feedback and has always worked to improve any area that has been lacking.

Great company, family friendly and supportive work environment! Lots of room for internal movement and promotion!

Current Employee - Clinical Director in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Director in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with this company for over 10 years. I started in a front desk position and have been promoted several times to my current position. The company mission and comittment to employees as far as flexiblity, understanding, show of appreciation makes it a great place to come to every day. They are open to new ideas of employees, create new positions and prioritize promoting from within.

Cons

Just a long drive from my home.

Wonderful Work Environment

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. provides a wholesome work environment. The staff are friendly and really care about the clients. Although the company continues to grow, there is still a warm family atmosphere and staff are treated with respect and felt genuinely cared about instead of like a number. The organization values a holistic approach to good health and offers a wide variety of services to help accomplish this.

Cons

NAL has grand ideas when it comes to growth and expansion, but does not always have a well sought out plan when implementing the changes that come with it. Although there are teams set up to evaluate policies and procedures before implementation, those teams do not always include staff from all departments.

The benefit package offers many supplemental policies at decent rates, but the health insurance coverage is mediocre.

Provide more employee appreciation activities and incentives.

Provide a more economical insurance policy without coinsurance.

Supportive atmosphere

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates

Pros

The company is growing and there are a lot of opportunites for advancement. My direct supervisor is supportive and my co-workers are helpful. My preferrences are taken into account for what hours I work. The office has a friendly and supportive atmosphere, you get to know the people you work with and are invested in everyone doing well as a team.

Cons

Compensation for this job is lower than I would have expected, and we have to use PTO for hollidays when the office is closed.

Nystrom & Associates, LTD. is a great place to work at.

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Nystrom & Associates, LTD. The work environment is excellent. There is strong leadership in upper management who strive to improve the work experience and are very receptive and open to feeback. I have always felt very supported, trusted and appreciated.

Cons

The PTO accrual rate is slightly lower than I would like it.

Your experience depends greatly on the location at which you work.

Former Employee - Mental Health Practitioner
    Former Employee - Mental Health Practitioner

I worked at Nystrom and Associates full-time

Pros

You get to set your own hours, and can cancel appointments for things such as illness or poor driving conditions in the winter. I gained a lot of experience working with different types of clients, which is so valuable when trying to figure out the population one wants to work with in the long run. I had an amazing supervisor, which helped a lot as problems arose with clients. The company keeps expanding and creating more jobs, and there seems to be room for growth within the company. They are very willing to listen to worker's concerns.

Cons

I worked at a northern branch, which meant a lot of clients were spread out, leaving me to spend a lot of time driving. Most clients were at least an hour apart, if not more, which made scheduling difficult. A lot of time gets spent figuring out schedules and trying to reach clients. Drive time isn't always paid for. The payscale is confusing. A lot gets thrown at you during training, and none of it really prepares you for helping clients. The branches in the twin cities have a lot more resources than some of the more remote branches, which makes it seemingly impossible to help a client find emergency housing. It is a high stress job, with a high turnover rate. There are meeting 2x a month, that you do not get paid for, which mainly seemed to be a waste of time. What I heard from some of the longstanding employees was that the company was slowly taking away perks and making it a less enjoyable place to work. It is nice to compare notes every now and then, but you are mostly on your own in this job. Most employees choose not to use the insurance plan, because it is not ideal. There were parts I liked about my job, but overall, it was not a good fit for me. It's not that the company is bad, or the job was bad, but it was not suited to my needs. I learned a lot, gained valuable experience, and now know better what I do and do not want out of job.

There needs to be a smaller ratio of supervisors to employees, so that the workers can receive support as needed. It would be beneficial to have people in charge of scheduling, so that the ARMHS workers would not have to spend so much time on the phone. The ARMHS program needs to be better explained to clients, so that they understand what they are signing up for...so many of them were expecting different services than we offer, and had to have their case closed. The meetings need to be more purposeful, and we should get paid for them, like we used to.

Great for experience, but very poor support, training, and compensation

Current Employee - Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Nystrom and Associates full-time

Pros

Can create your own schedule, no micro management. Work with talented and creative people. Gain hours with clients toward licensure, some opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Terrible compensation, many, many required unpaid paperwork hours. Very low salary for Master's level. Not given tools to do the job (e.g. laptop), must use own vehicle, not given appropriate mileage compensation. Expected to pay for own therapy items, management is very disorganized, difficulty finding appropriate person for requests at office, no after hours support, not compensated properly for required cell phone. Often have to go into dangerous neighborhoods, not compensated for no shows, don't receive mileage pay if billable hours aren't met even if not avoidable.

Reward the people doing the groundwork, reflect the values you say the company promotes outside to those within, especially unlicensed and newly licensed personnel. And stop being so paranoid.