O'Charley's

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014

O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

• Food discount, opportunity for advancement, decent money in tips, opinions are heard by general manager (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 5 reviews)

• Work Life Balance here was a big issue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

O'Charley's Alabaster, AL

Former Employee - Anonymous in Alabaster, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Alabaster, AL

I worked at O'Charley's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% discount on food
    Co-workers were nice

Cons

No accountability to live up to values
    Lack of leadership in management
    Loss of benefits if you don't meet 35+ hours a week
    Too many restrictions against staff that make absolutely no sense (long sleeve shirts rolled down at all times, etc)

Start drug testing managers (and even some of the hourly employees) and performing background checks on them since theft of inventory by managers is a huge problem. Reward employees who work hard and continually succeed in the store. Stop with the uniform sleeve requirements...too many customers complain about clothing getting into food

Great work environment, wonderful company

Current Employee - Server in Canton, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Canton, GA

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good management
    Great co-workers
    Management isn't always on your case as long as you're doing your job correctly
    Easy to up-sell

Cons

Servers must make all salads, soups, and pies. If you have a large table that all order salads/soups and pie, they will usually get angry because you're gone a long time making all of their food.

Allow employees to add coupons to a check themselves if they have a physical copy.

Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Burlington, NC

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, family oriented team, potential to make money, many regulars, and great specials. The food and bar specials are phenomenal.

Cons

The staff is catty, the managers are cold, the insurance plans are confusing, not many options for advancement.

Be more conscientious of the way that you slave your employees, offer vacation and benefits, be more mindful of the employees and do not treat them like they are no ones. The only reason that I have stayed so long with the company is because of the regulars and the business, but as far as the way that the way that they value their employees is horrible.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Server in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Server in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at O'Charley's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people, hours were decent, easy to pick up/change shifts

Cons

I was told that even after working there for a long time, you don't get a raise. That's disappointing. I was only there for a year so I wouldn't have gotten to reap that benefit if it existed.

Also, talk to some of your store management about counting money at the end of the night. They question you too much if you don't make a lot. If it's a slow Monday night at you cut me after only being there two hours, then yeah...I won't have a lot of money to turn in.

A company that offers very good food and has unlimited potential.

Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, TN

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salaries are acceptable, insurance package is decent and the concept holds so much promise for future growth.

Cons

From a guest perspective the units are usually understaffed and not prepared to handle the volume of the business that they want to attract. Way too many times of guests being held in line while numerous tables sit empty due to staffing issues in both the front and back of the house.

There is an untapped amount of revenue walking away from the front door without ever entering the units due to understaffing in FOH and BOH which leads to frustration from both a guest and employee standpoint. Revisit operating hours in particular on weekends to free up more labor dollars and in turn increase sales, guest satisfaction and profitability. My reason for leaving the company was due almost entirely based upon the OD at the time. Without him I feel I would still be there.

Good job for extra money

Current Employee - Server in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, people who work there are like family. Managers are great. Schedule is extremely flexible.

Cons

Like any service job there is always that one customer who makes your life a living hell.

Keep up the good work

A great place to start a career

Former Employee - and Management Positions, Both Field and Home Office in Nashville, TN

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the service industry in general teaches patience, ability to manage multiple things at once. O'Charley's had a great family-feel at the restaurant level. Great working atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Salary freeze for multiple years, lack of investment in employee development.

Stay close to the employees, mostly those in the restaurants.

Family

Former Employee - Togo Server in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Togo Server in Lafayette, LA

I worked at O'Charley's (more than an year)

Pros

I woke up and got ready to go to work everyday when I would get to work everybody would make u smile laugh just felt like u r working with your best friends n family . I miss all my co worker's

Cons

Well when it does get busy u have to be on your toes making sure food right goes out to right ppl r cars

I still say jennifer o con should have made gm at the amb. O charle's n lafayette thank u

i worked at a corrupt branch of this company

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at O'Charley's full-time

Pros

Friendly people, worked around schedule

Cons

inconsistent management, un-trustworthy employees, lots of unethical behavior going on behind closed doors...and i don't just mean your typical restaurant behavior...this was much much more than that.

Overworked Servers

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The server training covers a lot and prepares you pretty well
    -Management is helpful for the most part

Cons

Way more side work than typical serving job, to the point it takes away from your ability to give the best service to tables, hurting your tips. Seems the the company tries to save money by making servers do work that might be done by kitchen staff, food runners, dishwashers, or bussers, but they can pay servers $2.83/hr to do the same work. Other restaurants that I've worked required about 30-45 minutes of closing side work after you're cut from the floor, here it is almost always 1-2 hours.

Free servers up to take care of their tables and business will be better, making hiring more workers to help worth it.