O'Charley's Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.8

O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

• Food discount, opportunity for advancement, decent money in tips, opinions are heard by general manager (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 5 reviews)

• Work Life Balance here was a big issue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for extra money

Current Employee - Server in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, people who work there are like family. Managers are great. Schedule is extremely flexible.

Cons

Like any service job there is always that one customer who makes your life a living hell.

Keep up the good work

A great place to start a career

Former Employee - and Management Positions, Both Field and Home Office in Nashville, TN

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the service industry in general teaches patience, ability to manage multiple things at once. O'Charley's had a great family-feel at the restaurant level. Great working atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Salary freeze for multiple years, lack of investment in employee development.

Stay close to the employees, mostly those in the restaurants.

Family

Former Employee - Togo Server in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Togo Server in Lafayette, LA

I worked at O'Charley's (more than an year)

Pros

I woke up and got ready to go to work everyday when I would get to work everybody would make u smile laugh just felt like u r working with your best friends n family . I miss all my co worker's

Cons

Well when it does get busy u have to be on your toes making sure food right goes out to right ppl r cars

I still say jennifer o con should have made gm at the amb. O charle's n lafayette thank u

i worked at a corrupt branch of this company

I worked at O'Charley's full-time

Pros

Friendly people, worked around schedule

Cons

inconsistent management, un-trustworthy employees, lots of unethical behavior going on behind closed doors...and i don't just mean your typical restaurant behavior...this was much much more than that.

Overworked Servers

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The server training covers a lot and prepares you pretty well
    -Management is helpful for the most part

Cons

Way more side work than typical serving job, to the point it takes away from your ability to give the best service to tables, hurting your tips. Seems the the company tries to save money by making servers do work that might be done by kitchen staff, food runners, dishwashers, or bussers, but they can pay servers $2.83/hr to do the same work. Other restaurants that I've worked required about 30-45 minutes of closing side work after you're cut from the floor, here it is almost always 1-2 hours.

Free servers up to take care of their tables and business will be better, making hiring more workers to help worth it.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Cook in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cook in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, good pay, gained a lot of experience in cooking and working in a fast paced environment

Cons

management needs a lot of improvement, poor training, poor work-life balance, poor hours,

Take better care of employees and in turn they will care and do more for the company

Long hours, pay could be better

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Limited pro's, was lucky to work with 2 awesome Managers in my 7 years there.

Cons

Long hours, unfair with shifts scheduled. Ended up closing every shift for almost the first 2 years. Work Life Balance here was a big issue.

Take time to hire the best managers and staff. Band-aid hiring is an issue. Part of the reason stores have super high attrition is due to management being over worked and not taking the time to hire correctly. Managers should be paid based on experience and performance. Re vamping the bonus structure 5 times in a 7 year stint is crazy. Set realistic goals for bonus structure and stick to them. Full background checks and drug testing should be done on all management. If you want the best you have to pay for and retain the best.

A growing company with many open doors for already employed team members.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for a little over two years now and I moved up in just over a year. Great management team that are all willing to assist you in your progression to becoming your preferred title team member. The company is also growing at an extremely face pace. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Cons

No problems, really. No different from any other service industry job. I have a great time every time I walk into the door.

Inhumane and Insane

I worked at O'Charley's full-time

Pros

I cant really think of any , sometimes you get rare guests that tips you fairly but it is not too common.

Cons

What a cheap company that they makes their servers do the jobs of 3 or more people to pinch their pennies . Hours of back crushing " sidework" with no breaks, never had a meal break and god forbid you have to go to the bathroom- hope you got a bladder of steel! I actually liked serving guests but they run you so into the ground with all the multitasking, physical labor , just overloading you with so much (while you are feeling sick from no breaks) that it really is hard to give it your all when it comes to the most important job which is serving the guests. A good chunk of the guests in my experience were pretty trashy tippers and no matter how good & attentive of a server you are will leave you no tip or very little. The management was very unprofessional alot of times, they would create a tight knit group of servers they would befriend and have appropriate relationships with ( letting them hang out with them in the office or bar with lots of loud cursing and vile sexual conversations) I am not a uptight person but it just didnt seem right. So unless you wanna work 4 jobs worth of labor for minimal wage or slightly more and get treated like crap then O'Charleys is the place for you!

Give your staff breaks ( meal, bathroom and breather ), and the higher ups in the company need to stop being greedy & hire a busboy and someone to do the majority of sidework so servers can focus on serving the guests. Happy workers make happy guests . Your company has traumatize me enough to vow to never step foot in a restaurant again!

two and a half stars

Former Employee - Hostess in Austell, GA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Austell, GA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is young and friendly, and they were very flexible with hours

Cons

I never felt that the hostess position was being payed fairly.

Be more open to suggestions with their employees