O'Charley's Reviews

101 reviews filtered by
3.3
O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Fast paced, family oriented team, potential to make money, many regulars, and great specials (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 5 reviews)

• Work Life Balance here was a big issue (in 3 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Bar Manager
    Current Employee - Bar Manager

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promoted from within. Great salary. Becoming more and more consistent with expectations, not only of management, but hourly as well. Revamping the training for hourly was probably one of the smartest things that could have happened and 2015 looks like it will be a great year.

Cons

Bonus structure. I transferred from one store to another and changed titles. I was a service manager and went to a store closer to my home and became the bar manager. I waited until the end of the year to transfer because the bonus was supposed to change and make it equal between the 3 manager under the GM. I'm sorry but 7.5% is beyond ridiculous when the SM and KM are receiving 22%. I work just as hard and just as long and I deserve an equal cut. I hope by the end of this year, you guys deliver what you not only promised but talked about for months.

"People want to work for us because we live by our values" fix the bonus is my only advice. Make your bar managers feel worth it and part of the team.

2. Great company.

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

Meet a ton of people, and your coworkers are your family

Cons

Some customers are a pain

Nothing keeping the good work.

3. Typical restaurant job

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

The managers were great for the most part. They were always willing to help and work around a difficult schedule if you were willing to put in the work also.

Cons

Like most restaurants, there was poor teamwork among colleagues at times. Servers are transients so they tend to look out for themselves.

5. Best Management I've Worked With

Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers are amazing. They genuinely care about the employees and are involved in every aspect of the job. Schedules are very flexible and I was able to take three weeks off for a study abroad program with no problems. If anyone needs help, they are the first ones to offer support. Training usually takes a week, and it's pretty thorough without being too stressful. Also, O'Charley's does not offer a 'free kids night', which usually means filthy tables and no tip. Free Pie Wednesday is an awesome day in the middle of the week to make money.

Cons

Hostesses aren't paid minimum wage and rely on tip-out (about 1% of a sever's total sales, even if a server had a crappy night and didn't make much). Guests will complain about the weekend special (prime rib) when it runs out, even though only a certain amount can be cooked every 8 hours. For the most part, servers have to run their own food and bus their own tables.

I really don't have any problems with management, except for scheduling. Sometimes on busy nights, there aren't enough employees on and people get frustrated when they see open/dirty tables that aren't sat.

6. worked here all through college - was perfect for what it was

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

with the right management, can be very accommodating, maturity level is questionable but thats any chain restaurant

Cons

as with above, poor management will make experience poor

7. What's expected working in a corporate kitchen.

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at O'Charley's

Pros

The pay is competitive for a corporate restaurant.

Cons

Relocation within a market is inevitable.

Find a good team and stick with it.

8. Do Not Work Here!!

Former Employee - Server in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Newnan, GA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people were nice enough and helped out at first, but most of them are only looking to promote their own self-interest by screwing the honest and considerate employees over. There aren't many pros.

Cons

Management is not respected, so no one listens to them. Management doesn't respect anyone either or enforce any sort of standard of work to prevent people from skating by without completing what is required of them. As a server, you are not trained on your sidework and if you're brand new, expect to be put on the most difficult sidework. In my case, it's because I was not only new but diligent about making sure everything was available for other server's usage. Silverware is also a huge issue because only the servers do it, despite the fact that Guest Assistants used to, and GA's aren't even technically required to help you clean your tables after you're cut and in general, which leads me to wonder why we tip out to them anyway. On double shifts, servers aren't guaranteed a break. On Valentines Day we all worked straight through and only the GA's got breaks. The servers worked for 13 hours straight with no break, which is common during busy double shifts. If you go through training, don't expect to be compensated fully. I was only paid for five hours of training, despite being there all week for at least 25 hours. I had to go back and discuss this with the GM, who happily agreed to fix the problem, and after two weeks has yet to do anything about it. Just stay far away.

Get it together and stop sapping the life out of your good employees or else you'll lose them. Even if I weren't already moving away, I would've quit anyway.

9. Corporate Structure

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement is possible if you are persistent enough. Flexible scheduling. Comfortable work environment. Able to earn more money based on relationships you make with guests.

Cons

Depending on managers, there is a lack of leadership. Poor communication from managers to staff. The expectation always changes when a corporate manager comes to visit. The staff is under micro-management after a corporate visit, which often can take time away from your guests.

Read some books on management or how to talk to people. There seems to be a lack of leadership and nobody wants to steer the restaurant in the proper fashion. I do not see the vision of what the management wants to hold as its core values, even though the company's vision is stated just about on every piece of literature.

10. Wonderful Family Restaurant

Former Employee - Server in Castleton, IN
    Former Employee - Server in Castleton, IN

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a wonderful family oriented place to work. I worked there while attending college and had one of the best staff to work with. Everybody at the time really worked as a team. The customer base that was at my particular store were from nearby hotels and businesses so many were executives at lunch or in sales so tipping was better than one would expect for a family restaurant.

Cons

I really didn't have any. The only thing I can probably say, (but this is always highly likely to happen in the restaurant business) is that often times their stronger, more dependable employees are relied on a little too heavily which causes burnout.

None, my manager was great.

11. Great

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a fun place to work with great pay

Cons

having to work late night

good