O'Charley's

Be The First To
Add Photos

O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head

David W. Head

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule for college students"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Food discount, opportunity for advancement, decent money in tips, opinions are heard by general manager"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "4-you spend 3 hrs doing side work for peanut shells,i spent more time doing"
    in 3 reviews
  • "There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good, some issues

Guest Assistant, To-Go Server (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly atmosphere, fast paced, family friendly. Fun coworkers.

ConsUnorganized with scheduling and operations in the kitchen, kitchen and servers don't always mesh. Overall good relationship between the two.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Micromanagement is and will be the downfall of this company.

Server (Current Employee)
    Murfreesboro, TN

ProsI have made many great friends with coworkers, customers, etc. Besides that, not much else.

ConsThey do not worry about the big picture issues. Top-management has never worked within a restaurant environment and have no idea what is going wrong with the stores. More worried about uniform policies than having a solid training program to make sure that employees are knowledgeable and capable of working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry about the right things.

Disorganized, no improvements over two years

Head Hostess (Former Employee)
    Fredericksburg, VA

ProsFriendly people, relaxed when slow, easy to get time off if necessary. They will help work around your schedule if need be. They choose who they hire carefully.

ConsManagers were inconsistant and didn't pay attention to the store's needs, didn't learn from experience about scheduling people for tricky times, hard to advance within the company, don't often get raises. High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the needs of your employees, reward them for doing well and let people grow within the company. Also pay attention to what does and doesn't work within the restaurant, and let corporate know what may need to be changed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inaccessible, ineffective management and lacking in communication

Hostess (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsThe highlight of my time working at O'Charley's as a hostess was interacting with customers.

ConsWithout notice I suddenly began being scheduled for all split shifts, with only an hour and change in between, and while living on the other side of town. Communication was extremely lacking at this establishment, the kitchen was dirty and management was less than accessible.

Not what you think working there

ProsGood bonus plan when able

ConsToo many inconsistencies in operations

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the vvc remember what it's like to be an operator

Fun!

Hostess (Current Employee)

ProsVery fun, upbeat job. Very flexible with schedules and understanding to all workers. Co workers are a blast to be around very family friendly. Pays well and you get 50% off of your food and your family gets 25% off!

ConsKitchen is dirty don't like standing doing silverware all night. Management sometimes gets too stressed and takes it out on staff. Stressful on busy nights. Bussing and doing things for servers without tip.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter plans with cleaning maybe hire bussers so hostesses aren't spending the whole night cleaning tables so we can get off the wait.

A standard serving job.

Server (Former Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

ProsI liked the food when I started. Because of the quick turn over, I was able to secure seniority status quickly.

ConsDisorganized. Low table count. Low menu prices.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people who do a good job and dependable.

Great People, Great Food, Great Place to Work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Acworth, GA

ProsFamily fun atmosphere, developed life long friends with employees and with guest. Schedule was flexible when needed. The latest they were open was 11 PM on the weekends.

ConsAdvancement was to far out. Didn't feel that I was given the direction or tools to succeed past my position. There was definitely favoritism to others in the same positions I was in, within my division.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Bad management, bad policies.

Cook (Current Employee)
    Frankfort, KY

ProsOpportunities for advancement, if you're willing to fight and beg for them.
    Frequent raises for Back of House employees.
    Decent business most of the time.
    They are VERY accommodating of pregnant employees.

ConsHorrible, inconsistent management team; different rules under every manager.
    Long, hard hours with lots of work to be done,
    Lazy, incompetent employees are a lot of the time 'favorites' who don't have to follow rules or do their jobs correctly.
    Management [upper and middle] care more about customer satisfaction than employees in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on Vision, Values and Culture and more on policing your management.

A place full of favoritism, O'Charley's on West Broad Richmond, VA

Server (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsGreat tips, if you are in a great section
    Meals are 50% off
    Great place to work at if you are looking for part time!

ConsHorrible tips when you are in certain sections
    they never rotate who is closing, so the same people get to make perfect money every shift
    No matter how much you have grown at this place, if you started off short you will always be frowned upon, there is no compliments at all.
    Manager tells you that you have to look like warm apple pie to be in closing sections.
    Managers lie about WHY you are not closing and not one of them can stick to their story.
    If they want you fired, they do not tell you, they just take away your hours because they do not want to pay you unemployment (even though if you are taking someone from 6 days to 1 day a week, they qualify for it!)
    Managers offer no help, they get angry when you ask for it, and even when you do not ask for it, they get angry when they see that you cannot carry 4 tables, get everyone's drinks at once, oh look another tables food just popped into the window, I cannot grab my food because well, I AM BUSY WITH 4 OTHER TABLES.
    If you request off days, well you probably will not get them because the manager who does the schedule, just pluses over last weeks schedule. He doesn't even look at the request off book. and when you bring it up, they get angry like it is your fault. Goodbye doctors appointments, no one cares about ya!
    If you really need time off, if they do not like you, they will not give it to you. If you switch shifts with someone,if they do not like you, they will send you home.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you want to keep your star employees, but most of the time your star employees are the ones robbing you, and not even doing their jobs correctly. If you want the company to succeed, if you want EVERYONE to be team players, Start everyone off fairly, then if they are not grasping the situation of how to serve in 3 months, move them on, but be nice. This was my first serving job and you guys treated me like crap. I WOULD NEVER want to work for you guys again! I grew so much, everyone except the managers told me how amazing I was doing. Managers, you guys can't even comprehend serving these days, you do not get it at all. You do not help, you yell at us, you beat us down, and then we do not give a crap anymore, CORPORATIONS SUCK.

These people only care about money. Everyone hates it here, except for the few who you started off in closing sections.

Worked for O'Charley's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at O'Charley's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for O'Charley's CEO David W. Head. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by O'Charley's employees.