O'Charley's Reviews

104 reviews filtered by
3.3
O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Fast paced, family oriented team, potential to make money, many regulars, and great specials (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 5 reviews)

• Work Life Balance here was a big issue (in 3 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Bar Manager
    Current Employee - Bar Manager

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promoted from within. Great salary. Becoming more and more consistent with expectations, not only of management, but hourly as well. Revamping the training for hourly was probably one of the smartest things that could have happened and 2015 looks like it will be a great year.

Cons

Bonus structure. I transferred from one store to another and changed titles. I was a service manager and went to a store closer to my home and became the bar manager. I waited until the end of the year to transfer because the bonus was supposed to change and make it equal between the 3 manager under the GM. I'm sorry but 7.5% is beyond ridiculous when the SM and KM are receiving 22%. I work just as hard and just as long and I deserve an equal cut. I hope by the end of this year, you guys deliver what you not only promised but talked about for months.

Advice to Management

"People want to work for us because we live by our values" fix the bonus is my only advice. Make your bar managers feel worth it and part of the team.

2. Server

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff was a lot of fun to work with. On site management put in time to prepare teams for success and kept the restaurant in good working conditions.

Cons

Corporate management focused a lot of attention on attracting guests.... and forgot about their staff in the process. This was exemplified by closing the restaurant down with a surprise morning meeting.

Advice to Management

Remember your trained staff. Know that high level changes trickle down to hard working teams. The best way to attract guests in the business is to consistently provide world class service. I had world class training during my time with O'Charley's but always felt the Employer to Employee relationship ended once I left the parking lot.

3. Crippling management failure.

Current Employee - Server/GA
    Current Employee - Server/GA

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff
    Everyone helps one another
    Works with students
    50% discount when on the clock
    Opportunity to learn excellent serving skills
    Always allowed a break when able
    Understanding with requests off
    Friendly and safe environment

Cons

The management is completely failing
    Managers never on the same page
    Manager and employee have inappropriate relationship
    Manager on drugs
    No value of seniority
    No discipline or retraining for employees who consistently do bad
    All team members suffer for one or two bad eggs
    Inconsistent rules and structure that results in a vicious circle; one manager creates a rule, the next manager dismantles it and replaces it with his own, and so on...
    Constant walk outs that result in rehires
    No recognition for good workers
    False promises from management
    Non employees permitted to be in kitchen constantly

Advice to Management

Find a way to see what really happens when you aren't there. This is not the fault of upper management because whenever they visit, all the rules change and everyone is forced to pretend everything is OK. Install cameras, do random drug testing, or at the very least, ask the hourly employees what really goes on! The turnover rate should be a huge red flag to upper management.

5. Great company.

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

Meet a ton of people, and your coworkers are your family

Cons

Some customers are a pain

Advice to Management

Nothing keeping the good work.

6. Good stepping stone

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good upper management. Good brand with direction of company heading in correct direction. Atmosphere is conducive to learning and thinking outside the box. Creativity is incuraged.

Cons

Need to stick to one type of "regional food". Don't have too much on menu. Local management can be a crap shoot of quality or poop. Upper management does a good job but needs to be more involved at ground level.

Advice to Management

Listen to hourly employees and guests about food quality. Overall food is usually good but the service department needs a complete overhaul in most stores.

Typical restaurant job

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

The managers were great for the most part. They were always willing to help and work around a difficult schedule if you were willing to put in the work also.

Cons

Like most restaurants, there was poor teamwork among colleagues at times. Servers are transients so they tend to look out for themselves.

8. Best Management I've Worked With

Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Assistant in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers are amazing. They genuinely care about the employees and are involved in every aspect of the job. Schedules are very flexible and I was able to take three weeks off for a study abroad program with no problems. If anyone needs help, they are the first ones to offer support. Training usually takes a week, and it's pretty thorough without being too stressful. Also, O'Charley's does not offer a 'free kids night', which usually means filthy tables and no tip. Free Pie Wednesday is an awesome day in the middle of the week to make money.

Cons

Hostesses aren't paid minimum wage and rely on tip-out (about 1% of a sever's total sales, even if a server had a crappy night and didn't make much). Guests will complain about the weekend special (prime rib) when it runs out, even though only a certain amount can be cooked every 8 hours. For the most part, servers have to run their own food and bus their own tables.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any problems with management, except for scheduling. Sometimes on busy nights, there aren't enough employees on and people get frustrated when they see open/dirty tables that aren't sat.

9. worked here all through college - was perfect for what it was

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

with the right management, can be very accommodating, maturity level is questionable but thats any chain restaurant

Cons

as with above, poor management will make experience poor

10. What's expected working in a corporate kitchen.

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at O'Charley's

Pros

The pay is competitive for a corporate restaurant.

Cons

Relocation within a market is inevitable.

Advice to Management

Find a good team and stick with it.

11. Do Not Work Here!!

Former Employee - Server in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Newnan, GA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were nice enough and helped out at first, but most of them are only looking to promote their own self-interest by screwing the honest and considerate employees over. There aren't many pros.

Cons

Management is not respected, so no one listens to them. Management doesn't respect anyone either or enforce any sort of standard of work to prevent people from skating by without completing what is required of them. As a server, you are not trained on your sidework and if you're brand new, expect to be put on the most difficult sidework. In my case, it's because I was not only new but diligent about making sure everything was available for other server's usage. Silverware is also a huge issue because only the servers do it, despite the fact that Guest Assistants used to, and GA's aren't even technically required to help you clean your tables after you're cut and in general, which leads me to wonder why we tip out to them anyway. On double shifts, servers aren't guaranteed a break. On Valentines Day we all worked straight through and only the GA's got breaks. The servers worked for 13 hours straight with no break, which is common during busy double shifts. If you go through training, don't expect to be compensated fully. I was only paid for five hours of training, despite being there all week for at least 25 hours. I had to go back and discuss this with the GM, who happily agreed to fix the problem, and after two weeks has yet to do anything about it. Just stay far away.

Advice to Management

Get it together and stop sapping the life out of your good employees or else you'll lose them. Even if I weren't already moving away, I would've quit anyway.