O'Charley's

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Fast paced, family oriented team, potential to make money, many regulars, and great specials (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 5 reviews)

• Work Life Balance here was a big issue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part time work

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the people and made so many close friends out of my customers

Cons

It's waiting tables, so the normal cons.

Server/Bartender

Current Employee - Serve-Bartender in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Serve-Bartender in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment - especially in the bar. Flexible schedules and managers generally work with you based on your performance regarding floor section/cross-training and schedules. Regular guests are appreciative and great to serve. Lots of laughter and fun times, and great pay once you earn your way into better shifts and sections.

Cons

Some coworkers can be lazy and unreliable. Pay goes in cycles and can be unpredictable. Sometimes managers can favor employees who have been there longer and pass over newer employees who perform better simply because of trying to please older employees. Some guests can be difficult to please but that comes with the industry.

Give opportunities to your strong performers, not just your long-timers. Hold everyone accountable for their job duties and listen to suggestions from staff on how operations can improve. Lead by example.

An overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. Pay is competitive. A good team work environment. One of the better chain restaurants to work for.

Cons

A lot of changes happen as the company is reorganized. Some of the decisions are wishy washy. Upper management seems to change out and causes change.

Stay consistent in the decision making process. Get input from the field as to what will work and what will not.

An Okay Job

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at O'Charley's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great first job
    Most of my coworkers were nice
    Hours were great at the start
    Managers were amazing

Cons

Once I was working there for a while I became iffy towards the job. I worked as a hostess and my hours were only for the weekend, (Friday-Sunday) I loved it that way until my coworkers began to leave or get promoted to servers. That meant I had to pick up the slack. I began working most of the week, DOUBLE shifts. REALIZE im a high school student.

Even though I did all of this, my pay was still horrible.

Up pay for hostess. We do more than you think

Don't do it to yourself

Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I worked at O'Charley's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really are not many. People are okay.

Cons

Low Pay. Mean managers. Mean customers. Overall not a good time.

Grow up.

O'Charley's Alabaster, AL

Former Employee - Anonymous in Alabaster, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Alabaster, AL

I worked at O'Charley's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% discount on food
    Co-workers were nice

Cons

No accountability to live up to values
    Lack of leadership in management
    Loss of benefits if you don't meet 35+ hours a week
    Too many restrictions against staff that make absolutely no sense (long sleeve shirts rolled down at all times, etc)

Start drug testing managers (and even some of the hourly employees) and performing background checks on them since theft of inventory by managers is a huge problem. Reward employees who work hard and continually succeed in the store. Stop with the uniform sleeve requirements...too many customers complain about clothing getting into food

Great work environment, wonderful company

Current Employee - Server in Canton, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Canton, GA

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good management
    Great co-workers
    Management isn't always on your case as long as you're doing your job correctly
    Easy to up-sell

Cons

Servers must make all salads, soups, and pies. If you have a large table that all order salads/soups and pie, they will usually get angry because you're gone a long time making all of their food.

Allow employees to add coupons to a check themselves if they have a physical copy.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Server in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Server in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at O'Charley's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people, hours were decent, easy to pick up/change shifts

Cons

I was told that even after working there for a long time, you don't get a raise. That's disappointing. I was only there for a year so I wouldn't have gotten to reap that benefit if it existed.

Also, talk to some of your store management about counting money at the end of the night. They question you too much if you don't make a lot. If it's a slow Monday night at you cut me after only being there two hours, then yeah...I won't have a lot of money to turn in.

Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Burlington, NC

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, family oriented team, potential to make money, many regulars, and great specials. The food and bar specials are phenomenal.

Cons

The staff is catty, the managers are cold, the insurance plans are confusing, not many options for advancement.

Be more conscientious of the way that you slave your employees, offer vacation and benefits, be more mindful of the employees and do not treat them like they are no ones. The only reason that I have stayed so long with the company is because of the regulars and the business, but as far as the way that the way that they value their employees is horrible.

A company that offers very good food and has unlimited potential.

Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, TN

I worked at O'Charley's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salaries are acceptable, insurance package is decent and the concept holds so much promise for future growth.

Cons

From a guest perspective the units are usually understaffed and not prepared to handle the volume of the business that they want to attract. Way too many times of guests being held in line while numerous tables sit empty due to staffing issues in both the front and back of the house.

There is an untapped amount of revenue walking away from the front door without ever entering the units due to understaffing in FOH and BOH which leads to frustration from both a guest and employee standpoint. Revisit operating hours in particular on weekends to free up more labor dollars and in turn increase sales, guest satisfaction and profitability. My reason for leaving the company was due almost entirely based upon the OD at the time. Without him I feel I would still be there.