O'Charley's Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.7

O'Charley's President, CEO, and Director David W. Head
David W. Head

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for college students (in 4 reviews)

• Food discount, opportunity for advancement, decent money in tips, opinions are heard by general manager (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • 4-you spend 3 hrs doing side work for peanut shells,i spent more time doing (in 3 reviews)

• There is also a lot of closing and side work, compared to the typical restaurant job (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Cook  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cook in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at O'Charley's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good pay, gained a lot of experience in cooking and working in a fast paced environment

Cons

management needs a lot of improvement, poor training, poor work-life balance, poor hours,

Take better care of employees and in turn they will care and do more for the company

Long hours, pay could be better

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Limited pro's, was lucky to work with 2 awesome Managers in my 7 years there.

Cons

Long hours, unfair with shifts scheduled. Ended up closing every shift for almost the first 2 years. Work Life Balance here was a big issue.

Take time to hire the best managers and staff. Band-aid hiring is an issue. Part of the reason stores have super high attrition is due to management being over worked and not taking the time to hire correctly. Managers should be paid based on experience and performance. Re vamping the bonus structure 5 times in a 7 year stint is crazy. Set realistic goals for bonus structure and stick to them. Full background checks and drug testing should be done on all management. If you want the best you have to pay for and retain the best.

A growing company with many open doors for already employed team members.

Current Employee - Shift Leader  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for a little over two years now and I moved up in just over a year. Great management team that are all willing to assist you in your progression to becoming your preferred title team member. The company is also growing at an extremely face pace. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Cons

No problems, really. No different from any other service industry job. I have a great time every time I walk into the door.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inhumane and Insane

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at O'Charley's full-time

Pros

I cant really think of any , sometimes you get rare guests that tips you fairly but it is not too common.

Cons

What a cheap company that they makes their servers do the jobs of 3 or more people to pinch their pennies . Hours of back crushing " sidework" with no breaks, never had a meal break and god forbid you have to go to the bathroom- hope you got a bladder of steel! I actually liked serving guests but they run you so into the ground with all the multitasking, physical labor , just overloading you with so much (while you are feeling sick from no breaks) that it really is hard to give it your all when it comes to the most important job which is serving the guests. A good chunk of the guests in my experience were pretty trashy tippers and no matter how good & attentive of a server you are will leave you no tip or very little. The management was very unprofessional alot of times, they would create a tight knit group of servers they would befriend and have appropriate relationships with ( letting them hang out with them in the office or bar with lots of loud cursing and vile sexual conversations) I am not a uptight person but it just didnt seem right. So unless you wanna work 4 jobs worth of labor for minimal wage or slightly more and get treated like crap then O'Charleys is the place for you!

Give your staff breaks ( meal, bathroom and breather ), and the higher ups in the company need to stop being greedy & hire a busboy and someone to do the majority of sidework so servers can focus on serving the guests. Happy workers make happy guests . Your company has traumatize me enough to vow to never step foot in a restaurant again!

two and a half stars

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Austell, GA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Austell, GA

I worked at O'Charley's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is young and friendly, and they were very flexible with hours

Cons

I never felt that the hostess position was being payed fairly.

Be more open to suggestions with their employees

A lot of responsibility for servers.

I worked at O'Charley's

Pros

Tables can be flipped quickly and they're almost always busy, so if you can handle the work load, the tables are available. Training is fairly easy and standard for the industry but learning to juggle extensive amounts of side work while maintaining your tables will be your biggest hurdle here.

Cons

O'Charley's seems to take advantage of the fact that their servers are paid so little and pile on their responsibilities. At times, you are so caught up in the amount of side work that is required of you that you are forced to make your tables wait for service. Between running rolls, dishes, busing, restocking, food running and numerous other tasks (sometimes seemingly without any help from your co-workers) it feels like you're actually doing very little serving. Additionally, this restaurant caters to people already looking to pinch pennies so don't expect high tip averages (even some of the longest standing servers say 10-15% is the norm). I've been serving for two years and this place seems to be one of the worst chains to work for. Worker moral is always low and staff is very unfriendly, almost always disgruntled and hostile towards new hires (not very open to helping out). Expect to work twice as hard as you have serving other places for a fourth less the cash at least. (Side note, doubles not only seem to be the norm, they also seem to be expected of servers).

Not by any fault of their own, management seems very incapable of helping the staff due to the fact that they are constantly having to use the computers to complete tasks that should probably be able to be done without a manager. That being said, management at my location was fairly friendly and encouraging to hard workers.

Careless.

Current Employee - Server  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its relaxed when slow, its really easy to make friends with other employees, food tastes good.

Cons

The management does NOT care about their employees! They do NOT listen when you tell them any schedule issues you have! They don't even listen to suggestions any of the employees give! They show extreme favoritism and the "favorites" get away with everything while everyone else has to pick up the slack. Worst management I've ever seen. They don't even know what their doing. They hired me and a bunch of other people and then told us its their slow season so hours were scarse and what hours you did get you got cut off the floor after like 3 hours!

Treat your employees like humans. Take suggestions. Don't hire so many people for there to be no hours for anybody.

Good, some issues

Former Employee - Guest Assistant, To-Go Server
    Former Employee - Guest Assistant, To-Go Server

I worked at O'Charley's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, fast paced, family friendly. Fun coworkers.

Cons

Unorganized with scheduling and operations in the kitchen, kitchen and servers don't always mesh. Overall good relationship between the two.

Inaccessible, ineffective management and lacking in communication

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Hostess in Springfield, IL

I worked at O'Charley's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The highlight of my time working at O'Charley's as a hostess was interacting with customers.

Cons

Without notice I suddenly began being scheduled for all split shifts, with only an hour and change in between, and while living on the other side of town. Communication was extremely lacking at this establishment, the kitchen was dirty and management was less than accessible.

Micromanagement is and will be the downfall of this company.

Current Employee - Server  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Server in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at O'Charley's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have made many great friends with coworkers, customers, etc. Besides that, not much else.

Cons

They do not worry about the big picture issues. Top-management has never worked within a restaurant environment and have no idea what is going wrong with the stores. More worried about uniform policies than having a solid training program to make sure that employees are knowledgeable and capable of working there.

Worry about the right things.

Worked for O'Charley's? Contribute to the Community!