O'Keeffe & Company

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
4.3

Stephen O'keefe

A great place to launch a career in communications/media relations

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time

Pros

Very professional
    Very friendly co-workers, really fun place to work
    Good opportunities for advancement if you have talent and work hard
    Interesting work opportunities across media relations, marketing, events, research

Cons

Pay is not great compared to big consulting firms
    Advancement can be slow
    There is a tendency to emphasize quantity rather than quality of work

Appreciate what you've done over the past few years to try to retain employees

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you’re looking to learn how to execute PR and marketing programs the right way, this is the place for you. I’ve been here well over two years and have seen firsthand how to properly execute PR, Marketing, and Advertising campaigns from start to finish. I’ve really had a great experience - been given a lot of responsibility, and have had excellent resources help me develop along the way. The managers are great – you can really learn a lot from them. I truly learn something new every day. But, I would say the best thing is that I actually feel valuable, that my ideas are heard – which can be hard when first starting off in your career. Definitely a great place to work if interested in PR or Marketing.

Cons

Given the industry, hours can be a bit long leading up to events or client deadlines.

Intern

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice atmosphere, friendly managing directors and staff attorneys.

Cons

The training, experience and hands on assignments are excellent. Thank you!

None - Everything is wonderful

Perfect Place for Recent Grads

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company

Pros

Coming right out of school, O’Keeffe & Company is a great place to start your career. You receive excellent training from experienced managers, and are quickly given responsibility over various accounts. Senior managers value your contributions and encourage face-time with clients early on to not only help with your professional growth, but also to put you on career path within the company. As you start off, you are given the opportunity to work across the agency and try different areas of communications. In doing so, you are able to quickly figure out your strengths and further develop your skills. Steve and the rest of the senior staff encourage you to find out what it is you most enjoy doing, and make every effort to find the best fit for you within the organization so you can continue to grow and develop as a communications professional.

Cons

Because of the dynamic nature of the field, the hours can sometimes be long. However, the company strongly encourages collaboration, so even if something is particularly time-consuming or challenging, you never feel like you are left out on your own.

My personal experience with my manager has been excellent. My manager always encourages me to contribute and makes me feel like a valued member of the team.

Great Place to Grow Your Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started at O'Keeffe & Company straight out of college, hoping to gain skills in PR and marketing and map out my career path. I got to do exactly that -- and more. It is the perfect place to start out your career because you get to learn about a variety of areas -- PR, event planning, marketing, research, advertising -- you name it. It's perfect for someone looking to learn quickly, put your skills into practice, and gain responsibility. On top of that, they do a great job of helping you map out your career path and focus on your personal growth throughout the company. You can always talk to your manager and figure out what you can do to move forward in the organization. Not to mention, there is a great work culture with a crew of fun, creative, work hard/play hard co-workers.

Cons

By the very nature of PR and marketing, you may need to work long hours at times. But I've found that this is the case anywhere in this field.

My personal experience with my manager has been excellent -- definitely continue the great review and feedback process.

Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience; young colleagues who mostly get along; some accounts are interesting and fun (although very few as most are extremely exhausting -- see cons).

Cons

Long, very long days; no work/life balance at all; expect to be overworked and underpaid (less than $35K with NO overtime and working 50 hour weeks; they take advantage of the recent grads with no work experience who don't know any better when it comes to the way life at work is supposed to be; no sense of security as someone is let go almost every week (the staff jokes about the many "best wishes to..." emails received on a weekly basis); annual performance reviews are only during September and as such, if you are hired at the beginning of the year, you will not be eligible for a raise until the following September (at that point you are there for a lot over a year -- almost 2 years depending on when you are hired); most of management work remotely so there is rarely a chance to meet face-to-face, leading to very awkward working relationships. The CEO may seem nice at first, but his true colors will come out soon enough. I've worked in other companies and this is -- by far -- the worst places EVER. I truly feel terrible for anyone who is there now and I'm glad I left as soon as I found a job elsewhere. Best decision I've ever made.

Take the time to get to know your employees; do yearly reviews for each employee depending on when they are hired -- it's a lot more fair that way.

Gain experience quickly; hard work pays off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment with smart and talented employees; Opportunity to advance quickly if you are willing to put in the time and the work; Chance to try out various aspects of the PR/Marketing/Advertising world simultaneously, which you don't necessarily get at a larger firm; Great office location with parking/metro stipend

Cons

Will full plates and client demands, you will rarely have a 40 hour work week here - work/life balance can be tough. You also have to be willing to put in the hard work knowing you won't get a lot of personal recognition.

Offer more training for managers as well as professional development opportunities for junior staff. Consider alternate ways to show gratitude for hard working employees if/when bonuses aren't possible (i.e., an extra holiday such as the day after Thanksgiving, day after July 4th, etc.)

Came For One Year And Stayed For 10

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good talent and hard work pays off quickly. Top-tier client roster. Interesting, challenging projects. Work done the right way. A lot of responsibility early on. Chance to shape both the client deliverables and the organization itself.

Cons

Longer hours are expected. Some work is cool and glamorous, some is not. No place to hide - your contibution or lack of contribution is very visible. Managers are still learning how to be really effective managers as opposed to just really good doers.

Continue investing in training and infrastructure. Good changes in the last two years, but continuing to help staff transition successfully to management and then to senior management is going to be key.

Great opportunities -- perfect to get your foot in the door

Former Employee - Account Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Alexandria, VA

I worked at O'Keeffe & Company

Pros

O'Keeffe & Company is a great place to get your foot in the door. They do a great job of training you in PR/marketing and giving you real hands-on opportunities. I was given a lot of responsibility early on which allowed me to grow really quickly. If you are looking to get a range of experiences and really expand your skill set, this is the place to go.

Cons

Certain clients and projects require a lot of time and effort. Some weeks l found myself working really long hours and working on some very demanding projects.

Personally, my manager was supportive of my growth at O'Keeffe & Company. I would suggest continuing thorough staff reviews to be sure everyone's on the same page with regards to expectations and evaluations.

Still here and going strong after 5 years - I've worked hard and have been recognized for it

I have been working at O'Keeffe & Company

Pros

I enjoy my job because of the people here and the challenging projects that cross my desk every day. I work hard and I feel that my manager and my teammates recognize that. If you put in the effort, you definitely get rewarded with promotions and bonuses.

Cons

It's definitely not 9-5. Like pretty much any agency, the schedule can be unpredictable and is largely based on clients' needs and deadlines. You'll need to plan to put in weekend time and then some.

I'd like to receive a little more ad-hoc feedback, not limit the big discussions on performance for just during reviews