O'Neil Data Systems Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
2.8
James Lucanish

Fantastic Team Environment! Empowering and Motivating..

Current Employee - Former in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Former in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, monthly bonuses, competitive leader in the industry, knowledgeable management, continues to grow, trains employees from the ground up and room for growth. The success of this company is attributed to all of its positive workforce.

Cons

There can be long hours during the busy season. I would also like to mention that there was a downsizing in the Los Angeles facility to allow for the growth and 200+ new employees in the second location. It is a silly notion to indicate that they were laid off for no reason at all. Many were given the opportunity to relocate. Any educated individual should know that this is part of growing a corporation.

I would suggest focusing a bit more on the HR related issues that have been brought up in these reviews. It is important to ensure that ALL employees feel heard and motivated. It is also essential to ensure that employee performance reviews are done on time. As far as industry growth, keep the ideas coming and move full speed ahead!

2. Excellent Management, Employee Driven and Industry Leader!!

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

O'Neil is an innovative leader in the digital printing industry. A lot of this can be attributed to the dynamic management team! These managers have grown this company together, many from the ground up, and they all possess extraordinary knowledge in the industry. They have taken the smallest of ideas and grown them to lengths that still leave our competitors in awe. O'Neil is truly a team environment that gives all employees that chance to learn and grow along side the company.

Cons

As with any other company within the printing industry there can be long hours associated. It is a ridiculous notion to indicate that the President himself strolls in at 11am and leaves before 5pm. This has clearly come from someone that does not have any first hand knowledge. I personally know that he starts his phone calls with management at 6am PST and leaves the office well after 6pm PST at night. Not to mention that he works with management on a constant basis throughout what are deemed to be his "vacations." Anyone has the knowledge of what it takes to run a company, knows that the hours are limitless and not limited to when you are seen in the office.

Continue to grow O'Neil by leaps and bounds and keep those that chose to be an integral part in this extraordinary adventure. This company is not for those that are looking to reside in an 8am-5pm position and collect a paycheck for the "hours they have put in." O'Neil needs more leaders that are excited to grow and learn with the company. As many have stated, one of the benefits of such hard work reside in the monthly profit sharing bonuses.

Good company, Entrepreneurial thinkers... Big question: Is healthcare print communications going to die?

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best-in-the-business at printed healthcare communications

Cons

They're not doing a whole lot outside of servicing healthcare organizations.
    (Partially because customized fully variable print is still very expensive. )

5. Business Operations Manager

Former Employee - Business Operation Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Operation Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After considering this question, One really could not think of any, people are cold, calculating and generally inconsiderate.

Cons

The people themselves as well as the President. Employee's like to blame others for their lack of teamwork, lack of communication and seemed to be afraid of the President himself, that's when he's there. He definitely runs a Dictatorship where all the Manager's are afraid to speak up for fear of losing their job. I had referred a couple of colleagues and they stated when they got to him (President) to interview they both had to wait like what seems 2 hours, very unprofessional. I've overheard that he calls off after committing to being there. When he does roll in and i say roll in, it seems like sometime after 11 am and then leaves before 5 pm. Rarely interacts with employee's except for his favorites. One felt like being back in High School in those cliches. I could on but for what, company is not going to change as long as the president is in that position. I took this experience as a learning tool. I write this not as disgruntle former employee as I secured employment immediately, but as a voice for those who recently were let go, which it seems as been quite a few.

Get a new President and Managers that have a Spine (backbone).

6. Sweat shop...

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems

Pros

I am sorry, the only pros that I have is I really liked the 2 HR managers but only one of them is left there now.

Cons

Low pay, way too many hours and they will lay you off as soon as they hire you if they start getting in trouble financially. The CEO Mr. Lucanish is very distant and cold and seems to have no personal concern for the employees.

Nightmare is the least expected working at O'Neil Data Systems

Current Employee - Finishing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finishing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems (more than a year)

Pros

Good News !! O'Neil Data is always hiring !! As some one shared the interview experience " You have to accept their below the market salary. O'Neil Data does not negotiate about Salary with anyone."
    Very easy to get a job if the interview with president goes well. Education and experience is not necessary, no one in the top management have any education, so they care less.

The bonus is there but it comes with working 100+ hours a week like a slave.

The bottom line is if in the interview they feel that you could work like a slave you will get the offer.

Cons

You will feel like your hands are tied behind and you still need to produce at your best. I assume you guys are imaginative enough to think of the consequences!

Micromanagement redefined - Extremely paranoid - they feel pride in saying they don't trust anyone and you will know you're part of that "anyone." No trust shown in terms of anything related to work/office whatsoever; even the longest serving employees know no details about anything. You need to report each and everything in absolute detail; initially you'd be asked only to provide general update but that will eventually finish into their excuses.

No advice because not worth it !!

12 Years a Slave

Former Employee - IT Programmer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - IT Programmer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. They pay your cell phone bill but they will then call you 24/7. You will lose your mind.

Cons

Place is run like a plantation. CEO is the master, you are slave. Worked there for 2 years, felt like 12. If you have an idea, you will be reprimanded. You are to do as you are told. You will slowly lose your self esteem and all hope. Barely escaped, still have nightmares.

Join the rest of us in the 21st century.

run

Former Employee - Finishing Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Finishing Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nothing, low salary, benefits not as promised. Working employees endless hours.

Cons

everything, management, job titles confusing, no time off, a lot of weekend work.

Be fair to your employees.

Run, really run do not start working for this company, been working here more than a year.

Current Employee - Operator in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in Plano, TX

I have been working at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

What pros, no pros at all its just a bad company to work for

Cons

Well when you comme for an interview, they tell you that you will work some overtime but they forget to mention that you will be working 7 days 12 hours.

In the interview they talk about how you can move up to a better position, in reality there is no moving up. Now the people that move up in the company are either famaly members or friends of the Ceo.

During the busy season that's from July till February, the Ceo sends out a letter stating that nobody can take days off no vecation. But you can see frequently office personal and management will take days off but other people cant.

The company is giving monthly bonuses, but there is a catch they hire you and give u a wage that is below the standards. So when you get the bonus it gives u a little more money at the end of the month so you don't get to angry.
    They are telling you the bonuses are calculated how much you earn and how many hours u worked, now that is not true they give higher bonuses to people they like more.

Now the company has high turn over rate, never seen something like that anywhere where people comme and go. Every couple of months they have open house, trying to bring new people in. When you go to open house, they will hire you as a temp, and u never be able to become full time.

The pay is very low, it's below the state standards. Now the raised if you don't ask, you will not get the sorry rais, it's very low. Also the Ceo is praising the best expensive equipment, but can't pay their employees what they deserve.

When you do a walk through the plant make shure to ask on how many mashines at the same time you will be working usually it's 3 to 4. So in 12 houers you will be working like a slave, without any help.

The management is very unorganized, uneducated. They will micro manage you, and when you make a mistake you will be written off, if they make a mistake it is ok.

It's funny when you see the management/famaly members leaving good reviews, we are employees we know how it is to work here, hopefully I will be gone in couple of weeks.

Do not lay to your employees, do not promise if you can't keep. Get educated managers.

Work on your own risk.

I worked at O'Neil Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location, nothing other than that.

Cons

Where shall I begin with, Well let me start
    1) No respect for the employee. All employees are treated as roman workhorse.
    2) Bonus – The company promise you of bonus when hired. That bonus comes at price of your personal life working 9 to 10 hour per day.
    3) No transparency in bonus.
    4) The President of the company proudly says we contribute additional towards bonus in Christmas in addition to your regular bonus. Realty fact is they split the same bonus in two checks and make fool out of employee.
     5) No policy and work life balance.
    6) Best part, your appraisal is at the mercy of management after 2 years.
    7) They show case their self as a leader in technology-driven marketing services, but have no work ethics.

Still want to work over here?

Invest in employee and be transparent in policies.