O'Reilly Auto Parts

Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

O'Reilly Auto Parts CEO and Co-President Greg Henslee
Greg Henslee

Pros
  • Alot of Team Members who believe in O'Reilly and want to see themselves and the company succeed (in 17 reviews)

• The employee discount doesn't suck (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only benefits for those who are Full Time team members (in 24 reviews)

• Part time team members can only work a total of 28hrs a week (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what it is

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Training, career advancement, profit sharing plan

Cons

If your not management, your not anything

Pay attention to your people

Great great customers

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Gettin to know your customers, being able to help fix the problem

Cons

Upper management try to run the show, but have no idea how

Treat store employees with respect, listen to them and don't assume you know everything about everything !

Great company to start out with. Plenty of room to grow if you have the work ethic.

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. Multiple chances for bonuses, spiffs, contests, etc. Over 4000 stores nationwide so transferring is never an issue.

Cons

None that I can really think of.

Slow steady easy ride, good benefits I survived the pay of 10.00$ starting since I still lived with my family.

Former Employee - Commercial Parts Delivery Driver/Parts Tech/Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great confidence booster for jumping into the automotive field, Tests automotive knowledge base, keeps fresh in memory. If you are willing and eager to learn new things the information is always at your finger tips. Really good ladder system for starting comfortably at the bottom with a parts delivery driver / customer service position up to parts specialist, then assistant manager and manager and up words if you're really striving for it the system was really good to me.

Cons

I had a AS in automotive technology that I worked 2 years to get as well as a separate 2 year service management AS degree both from WyoTech Fremont ( a very good and popular automotive trade school ) I had just freshly graduated prior to my hiring on with Kragen and I had a great portfolio showing my perfect attendance and 4.0 GPA and all my awards and achievements and training certificates and such ,, Because of this I really did expect to be offered a higher base pay. I did ask for 15 to start but they said that they started at 10 unless you had actually ASE certifications which, I understand if you are going to be working at a shop or a dealership WORKING on peoples cars but for selling car parts I did expect what I had to be more than enough to earn a higher base pay... They did have good benefits which made up for it as I was able to get the glasses and dental work id been needing for near to nothing and I did get a 30 cent raise after the first year... I was and still am disappointed at the low hiring pay considering the training, knowledge and certifications that I had earned... I don't think anyone was started at much lower if they had no knowledge of the field whatsoever.

Value your new hires more when they have great knowledge and experience and have a lot to bring to the table for the company and this employee of yours is likely to work harder and bring more to the table as is is more worth it for he/she to work so hard.. if your only paying a base of 10/hr and a rise of 30cents a year and this employee has AS in the field and AS in service management and you test them a find they not only have these degrees but the knowledge and skills and passion to back it all up... and they ask to start at 15/hr ... start them at 15! at least start them at 12.50 or 13 and give them more frequent raises... Otherwise they will have little to no incentive to move up in the company.. I stayed in the position of delivery driver up until the last few months of working for the company for the very reason,.. ad the only reason that i stepped up from the position was honestly because I was told I had been given a promotion to assistant manager but I never did end up really getting the position.

Good company

Current Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Been working here about 8 months and already talking about promotion. DMs usually promote pretty good here.

Cons

Not really anything here to say.

Doing a good job

Great Place To Work

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Great Culture to be a part of.

Cons

None really come to mind

Much room for advancement!

Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

The company definitely appreciates hard workers and has moved me up quickly. I've been with the company for 5 months and started as a delivery driver. I've already received two raises and am training for a manager position. I love the recognition and appreciate the opportunity to advance.

Cons

The training program we use is mostly computer modules. Although it is very thorough and consistent I still think implementing a hands in training course with designated trainers would greatly improve the consistent manor in which ever employee operates. Full understanding of the procedures for each employee would benefit other coworkers.

Implement an additional "hands-on" training format. Move people into better positions they're more fit for. I wish there was less tolerance for employees not doing things the O'Reilly way.

A decent place to work. Depends on the position.

Former Employee - Counterperson
    Former Employee - Counterperson

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

A steady paycheck, company values.

Cons

Benefits, very low wages, executive management seems disconnected.

Think about the worker.

The pay was good

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me a starting salary of 11.50 per hour with no experience. The break room is nice and the bathroom was always clean. The workers were really nice and the job wasn't as labor intensive as I thought a warehouse job would be.

Cons

My main challenge was that I didn't receive good training and yet was expected to not make too many mistakes. Also, it was hard to feel welcomed when my trainers would frequently have conversations in Spanish right in front of me and they didn't seem too excited about having to train me.

Make sure that your trainers are actually doing their job!

top performer gets 19 cents in raises over 4 years

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

love the environment, love helping customers, the company's core culture is right in line with my personal desires, great employee discount even though it has changed

Cons

too much rope for less then desirable employees/managers to over stay their welcome, less then acceptable respect for hourly staff in this area, motivated employees routinely expected to carry the workload for management, this area routinely advancing untrained/unmotivated employees into positions they should not be in for the sake of keeping the payroll as low as possible, local company values not in line with corporate values

local area up to the regional level needs to be flushed and replaced, pay performing employees a respectable wage, local competition is 3-4 dollars an hour more on average, a decent employee discount doesn't pay the bills......
    force managers to give reviews on time and give reasonable pay increases when due

O'Reilly Auto Parts Photos