O'Reilly Auto Parts

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

O'Reilly Auto Parts CEO and Co-President Greg Henslee
Greg Henslee

Pros
  • Alot of Team Members who believe in O'Reilly and want to see themselves and the company succeed (in 17 reviews)

• The employee discount doesn't suck (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only benefits for those who are Full Time team members (in 24 reviews)

• Part time team members can only work a total of 28hrs a week (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

If you're a self-starter and culture-driven, you'll do well.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great dental and vision benefits, awesome discount, great team members and the leadership is really good. If you do your job well and are honest, you'll get noticed by the right people and succeed.

Cons

Medical benefits are lacking and expensive. CIGNA is hard to work with.

Keep on keeping on. Release some responsibilities from store managers to better themselves at the stores.

Great Company

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

No real Cons. Work is Work

Awesome company to work for...until...

Former Employee - Parts Specialist in Marion, OH
    Former Employee - Parts Specialist in Marion, OH

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts (less than an year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, respectful environment, my team grew to be like my second family.

Cons

Lack of hours, low wages. Commission was a total joke. Original store manager resigned and we received an arrogant self absorbed individual thinking he didn't have to work, or respect his employees.

You get a bad egg every so often.

Good company poor management

Current Employee - Customer Sales in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Sales in Charleston, SC

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

The company has great over all values but the local leadership is a ship wreck

Cons

The company made a 5 billion dollar profit last year but does not want to pay it hourly employees good money.

Better pay

Treat your People Better!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Strong Company and growing!

Cons

Don't care for their employees like they should.

Upper Management,
    Please take care of your Team Members and your Store Managers! Your Team Members in the Stores are what keep your Paychecks and Bounuses!

Lots of travel, virtually no power to your job

Current Employee - Regional Field Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Field Sales Manager

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, with an at one time great stock option program. My supervisor was fantastic and I really enjoyed his mentorship.

Cons

Ultra extensive travel that was not part of what I was originally told. I was overnight 15-18 days a month in a hotel away from my family. Any decision that needed to be made about personnel changes in the field or in the stores I had almost no input or say.
    The process to change salary for my employees was the most ridiculous process I have ever seen. And the salary approval process was a done through ultimately one person, but it took approximately 2 months...all of this that started in January, and wasn't completed until March 1st-15th

Listen to the field on a local scale for issues that pertain to company products that tie the hands of the employees. I am referring to the influx of dozens of part lines that are made better, are less expensive, and in most cases have a comparable warranty. On the local level many other parts suppliers do double or triple the business that most of the O'Reilly stores.

O'Reilly corporate is a pretty bleak place, especially for a talented millennial.

Former Employee - Retail Facilities Administrator in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Facilities Administrator in Springfield, MO

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well, I always got paid on time. My supervisor was a considerate and understanding guy, as I truly think most of the people at O'Reilly corporate are. Promoting from within is an honest policy that they actively engage.

Cons

Pay is pathetic. The environment is honestly like Office Space, and the building almost looks like a replica of Initech. The organization is filled with countless people who are content with staying in the same role for 10-15 years; no goals, and no drive. The organization thrives on mediocrity. Mediocre people working with mediocre (at best) technology for mediocre pay and benefits.

I started at the organization immediately after I graduated with a business degree from a Springfield, MO university. I started my degree following four years of active-duty military intelligence experience. There is nothing to feel challenged by, and I started in a pretty good position on the ladder. I was fortunate enough to be able to leave after three months under circumstances that won't affect me long term, and I'm glad I did.

I truly could not recommend this company to anyone that isn't desperate for employment. If you have options, this is absolutely NOT the place for talented and motivated individuals. I was lucky enough to work with a team of nice and helpful guys, but overall, the place just, well....sucks. If you are forced into Springfield and need a job you aren't going to be concerned about going away, or you're okay working for crappy pay, go for it..I guess.

Management doesn't need my advice. They have a very profitable model that has led to a successful company and increased value for shareholders. However, this obviously comes at the expense of increased turnover and an organization that no one is excited to be a part of it.

Mixed feelings on our company...

Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

401k, stock purchase plans, generally lower stress than other parts store chains

Cons

Base pay is less than most other retail parts chains, lack of training, health care costs, annual raises. Only closed on Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day( in certain markets).

Our company has done well even with the recession due to cars staying on the road longer. Upper management should forward or trickle down some of this success with monetary or other benefits for loyal employees.

Culture Driven!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

O'Reilly has a a great culture and plenty of opportunity internally, Teamwork is pretty abundant in most cases and the management team is great.

Cons

The company has grown significantly over the last decade so there are some growing pains from time to time.

Invest in infrastructure. It is a large expense but will pay dividends as the company continues to grow

That loving feeling

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The tm's are always willing to help

Cons

Always a bad egg in one store

When someone says something, do something, vs government work in waiting unit something NEEDS to be fixed after the fact

O'Reilly Auto Parts Photos