O'Reilly Auto Parts

Updated December 21, 2014
3.2

O'Reilly Auto Parts CEO and Co-President Greg Henslee
Greg Henslee

Pros
  • Alot of Team Members who believe in O'Reilly and want to see themselves and the company succeed (in 17 reviews)

• The employee discount doesn't suck (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only benefits for those who are Full Time team members (in 24 reviews)

• Part time team members can only work a total of 28hrs a week (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

1st Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with you on scheduling and fair discount on items that you purchase.

Cons

Very low pay for the work you have to do. THREE THINGS WRONG YOU ARE FIRED EVEN SMALL AS BEING OVER OR SHORT IN CASH BY $2.00 !!!! unless the manger is lenient towards you.

TREAT YOU PEOPLE WITH RESPECT; THEY MAKE MONEY FOR YOU. YOU SHOULD NOT THREATEN THEM OR FIRE THEM. IT IS YOUR LOSS!!!!! ENJOY IT.

Corporate doesn't care. All about the money. You are s replaceable number.

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

See the above title please.

Cons

See the above title please

Bad management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

don't be the districts buddy it will come back and bite you

Cons

Store manager and District manager do not know how to listen

need to work on management skills

Behind the times

Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are willing to cut back employee benefits in order to save the company pennies on the dollar.

They always have openings.

Cons

Low wages for the work done.
    They do not appreciate their workers.
    They are managing like it's still 1960.
    The higher ups are just riding on the backs of the workers taking all of their money and giving none back.

Take some business and management classes to learn how to treat your workers and how to grow your company into the future. Your backwards ways of thinking and doing business will crumble in the short term and leave the company bankrupt.

Horrible

Former Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Canton, OH

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount.
    Decent benefits.
    That's really about it. I don't have anything else good to say because it was one of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Cons

Don't care about their employees. Only care about the bottom line and will screw over even then good employees to make it look better.
    Pay sucked. 4 yrs with no raise even though I was a top seller for the district and the division. You earn "commission" but it amounts to nothing unless you sell 50k or better a month. But that's their way of getting out of not paying a worthwhile hourly wage.

Treat your people better.

Management Shockingly In The dark

Former Employee - Parts Specialist
    Former Employee - Parts Specialist

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounted Auto Parts and charge account(after a set period of time), Educational Opportunities(If made available to you), Non union workplace, employee owned corporation.

Cons

Often employees are selected for the wrong reasons, minimum education standards can be waived, unrealistic expectations of limited numbers of employees.

Re-evaluate hiring practices and qualifications for managers in smaller and rural stores. High School Diploma should be a minimum requirement, and it should not be waived. Cameras should be installed in order to protect employees from other employees as well as protecting profit margins.

Home of Nepotism Since 1957

Former Employee - Parts Specialist in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Parts Specialist in Arlington, TX

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount doesn't suck. The company is growing rapidly, and as long as you aren't always messing up badly, it's very difficult to get fired since the retention rate is low as it is. If you have school, they'll work with your schedule, and you'll learn things and get to meet people who might help you succeed. (Customers, that is. Nobody on the same side of the counter as you can help you get further in life) Though, if you're lucky, your fellow coworkers will be a family and and unto themselves. My coworkers were the only good part of the job for me, though even this was only the case after I moved stores.

Cons

Where to start?

Pay is below industry average, across the board, and raises are few and far between
    Relationships are valued more highly than performance when promotions and raises are considered
    Performance and dedication go entirely unrewarded
    Management will want more and more out of you, for the same pay
    Part time employees receive no benefits, and the company is no longer in the habit of hiring full time employees, or promoting part-timers to full time
    Weekends off are exceedingly rare, and usually require several weeks' notice in advance
    The store manager puts the schedule together, and since salaried employees can't clock in or out, there's a lot of fraud when reporting actual time in store to upper management (who officially require 40 hours of in-store time from managers on the schedule before the program will allow a weekly schedule to be finalized)
    On the note of scheduling, many store managers are incapable of putting together consistent schedules, or realizing practical shifts, despite a typical store having around 10 employees and none of them having changing needs week-to-week
    Six-day weeks are common, and if multiple days off are given during a week, they are rarely together (except for the manager, who gets Saturday and Sunday off)
    Part-time employees must remain under 28 hours a week on average- if this is exceeded, their hours will be slashed to around 15 hours for several weeks, to keep that average down
    Merchandising spends a lot of store employees' time changing stock planograms in largely ineffective ways, to advertise and sell products for which there is no demand in most markets (I could understand the Hotwheels, but Disney Princess dolls?)
    District management has a strange obsession with spotless clean bathrooms for public use, despite the fact that the facilities are only even installed because of OSHA requirements
    Males are required to tuck their heavy cotton shirts into their pants (no shorts) and move parts around all day in and out of the store, which has its thermostat set remotely all the way in Springfield, Missouri
    Morning shift crews rarely finish all their required tasks, shoving the work into night shift. Management is the worst about this.
    If you live within 5 miles of your store, you will be considered on-call, especially if you ever respond to those calls
    Since it's so hard to get fired, many lackluster employees remain on, despite poor performance and many attendance issues. (In fact at my store, one of the worst culprits for attendance issues was promoted directly to Assistant Manager, because he was very friendly with the store and district managers)
    The company keeps old, unsafe, beat-up delivery trucks in service, ignoring safety issues like tire wear or faulty brakes.

This is beginning to look like a list of grievances, but the point is clear. I could sit here and list out a hundred different reasons not to work at O'Reilly.

The problems I've stated all go all the way up to the top, to CEO Greg Henslee and the O'Reilly siblings, none of whom have any clue how to run a multibillion dollar corporation at any level. If you want to see continued success, you need to invest in your employees, and re-evaluate your core business. People don't shop at O'Reilly to buy dolls or twenty different brands of wheel cleaner, they shop at O'Reilly because the countermen know their trade. Invest in better training, and pay your parts guys better. They are, after all, the reason you're able to make those billions. AutoZone's prices are cheaper, and Napa's parts are better, but O'Reilly has the top of the line in parts guys, and that is overwhelmingly what customers have told me is their reason for shopping with green. Reward that. Foster that.

More than anything, look for and cut out the cronyism. This is likely impossible, as nepotism goes all the way up to the top in this family-owned and publicly-traded multibillion-dollar corporation. But, if people were compensated better, and rewards were given for performance and dedication, rather than shoulder-bumping and brown-nosing, the company's retention rate would be higher, and sales would be even better.

With all that said, the higher-ups are living cushy on the backs of all the green shirts, and that isn't likely to change in the short term, so there's no reason for them to do anything. The company is going to experience a downturn, but it won't be for a few years yet at the current rate.

Literally the worst job you could have.

Former Employee - Inbound Materials Handler/Stocker
    Former Employee - Inbound Materials Handler/Stocker

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A good workout, that's about it.
    Okay pay. No room for raises. No room to grow in the company even though they tell you that.

Cons

They treat they're employees like crap.
    All you are there is a number that can easily be replaced. They play favorites, and treat people unfairly. The working conditions are horrible. The warehouse I worked in was disgusting. The employees are disgusting, I worked here for 2 weeks. Never work in the warehouse. That's my advice.

Start treating your employees like actual human beings.

Worst company I've worked for in my life (londonderry nh)

Current Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Londonderry, NH
    Current Employee - Retail Service Specialist in Londonderry, NH

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing aside from the discount

Cons

Everything about the company, district managers, store manager, and asst. Manager

I hate every minute I have to work for this company. The district manager is a former v.i.p district manager and it shows he doesn't care about his employees, and doesn't hold his store manager and asst. Manager to there job duties. The store manager and asst. Manager get every week end off while the two rss guys (one of them being myself) have to work every week end from open to close with no breaks and one will have that Sunday off every other weekend but that's it, you get told one thing and a few days later it changes per store managers feelings that day like dress code ect. Female staff feel uncomfortable working in the store, the pay is horrible for the amount of work you put in as an rss! There is more and more I could write but all in all I'm looking for new employment because this company is not a company anyone wants to work for! Oh and advancement haha haha yea they will tell you your going to go on full time and it never happens you wait like me for half a year to go on full time and it still hasn't happened!
    ...And i only gave them one star because it's required other wise I'd give them 100% negative stars

Treat their employees like crap

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part time; Convenient; Business doing well

Cons

Husband almost died during 8 hour open heart surgery. Their response - "We'll find someone to cover for him." Not even "How's he doing?". Sent a form to fill out after 3 wks - "Why's it taking so long?".
    Sent an 80 year old driver out of state in a little pick-up to deliver - without even adding sand bags to the back when expressways were closed to semis due to winter blizzard. He quit.
    Sent another driver out in a pick-up on a busy route with a bad tire. He called later with a flat tire, and their reply was - "Oh, you must have #..."

You're an auto parts store. You need to set an example by making your delivery trucks safe in ALL conditions - good fodder for a lawsuit if something should happen to the drivers! Treat your employees with respect and concern, and they'll do the same for you. Many of them are retired business owners, vets, and managerial positions - your attitude towards them is unbelievably unprofessional.

O'Reilly Auto Parts Photos