O'Reilly Auto Parts Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
449 reviews filtered by

1. Great discounts, that's it.

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Discount, locations, flexibility, easy to change your job.

Cons

Pay, benefits, management, database, printer.

Adequate company, adequate pay

Current Employee - Route Driver
    Current Employee - Route Driver

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job and work is steady.The longer you work there is the longer you work there. Overall it is probably average for the type of employer in this niche.

Cons

As a route driver you may not receive compensation for all hours worked. Management is not so bad but there persists the feeling that they could do more to promote satisfied employees or simply team spirit.

Be more willing to listen... really listen to employees and not just "play the part". Do what you say you do.

..... ...

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, interacting with customers

Cons

they promote that they promote from within, but they normally hire outside for management instead of promoting current employees

...

Can be good or bad, depends on your manager

Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Installer Service Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Usually lots of room to advance if you want to work at it. If you can get into a store with a good manager, you'll likely be working with higher quality coworkers as well.

Installer Service Specialists easily have the best job in the store; banker's hours and don't have to deal with much retail. If you know your parts and have people skills, it's a great job to have.

Cons

Middle management is largely in charge of things, and they're so far separated from working in a store that they only make decisions based on how things look on paper. They're overly focused on payroll hours and related sales and not focused at all on quality of employees or proper training for those employees. A store that puts $15k in the bank every month isn't allowed to staff properly to cover training, holidays, employee vacations, etc.

Compensation is generally meager, until you get to middle management. Gone are the days when being a professional parts guy could support your family. If the company was willing to pay me adequately for my knowledge, I'd still be working as an ISS and not working part-time while finishing a degree.

Raises for employees who work hard are entirely too difficult to get. Often they're shot down by DM's who don't want to increase payroll. I see store P&L reports regularly, and I know there is often money for appropriate raises when DM's claim there isn't.

Actually train the people on the counter - provide some real parts training, not the inadequate computer training that almost nobody pays attention to. A 1 hour store meeting with a manufacturer's vendor (ie. Wix, Affinia, etc) will teach people more than 5 hours of computer training modules.

Compensate employees properly for the work they do. If this happened more often, the quality of employees (and the sales they produce) would go up significantly.

6. Decent Employer

Former Employee - Credit in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Credit in Springfield, MO

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Great coworkers and direct manager!

Cons

Little chance for advancement or significant raise.

Incorporate mentoring programs.

7. Most of the employees are great to work with. Customers are usually nice and in need of help finding something.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Columbus, OH

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Monthly bonus based on store sales.

Cons

Minimum wage pay. Raises are only given out on a yearly basis.

The company is a company focused on the customer

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Waynesboro, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Waynesboro, VA

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee discount
    Management is very understanding
    Competitive pay and raises with surrounding companies

Cons

As a part time employee not many hours are given out
    some of the management at said store is not the most educated

Working for O'reilly Auto Parts

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great discounts, quality products

Cons

Bad schedules, little to no loyalty, lack of appreciation

The actual work at O'reilly Auto Parts is fine however, employees are constantly being asked what they can do to create more sales. The fact is that there is very little that an individual can do aside from up selling or going above and beyond for the customer, to generate more sales. While O'reilly Auto Parts keeps prices low by keeping advertising budgets low, this makes it difficult to battle advertising giants like AutoZone and NAPA. The focus from corporate is to raise RPM's or Related Product Merchandising, This however has very little effect on the bottom line of sales. Also you are asked to close one night and open the next day, giving the employee barely 5 hours of sleep before returning to work. While there is no problem with limited overtime pay, if there is an significant accumulation of overtime corporate will find a way to avoid paying all of the overtime pay then make fixing the problem so convoluted that the hours get spread over other paychecks as regular pay. While making the employee feel as though the entire pay issues was caused by the employee, in other words they claim that you failed to punch in or out for a particular day or that you didn't bring it to their attention quickly enough or that you are failing to communicate with the store manager effectively enough. They eventually pay the hours, but as regular pay not overtime pay! Corporate seems to view employees as nothing more than a resource to be consumed and discarded as they see fit.

10. Good co-workers

Former Employee - RSS in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - RSS in Denton, TX

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Great customers, Fun place to work

Cons

Bad pay, too much emphasis put on sales numbers

Remember your customer base deals with counter person not you, your counter person is your most valuable asset

Store manager, overseeing our daily reviews, daily deposits, prepared store for my morning crew, inventory, loss preve

Former Employee - Store Manager in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Galveston, TX

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Pros

Love interaction with my customers, I loved resolving their issues, amazing feeling when I accomplish things on my own, rewarding my crew for meeting goals.

Cons

Absolutely no cons, working at orielly was an amazing adventure,

My best saying to my crew was" the drop stop 30/30. Meaning acknowledge the customer within 30 seconds, drop what your doing before 30 feet of entrance. Not literally,, but let them know they have been seen and welcomed before they wonder off without being acknowledged

O'Reilly Auto Parts Photos