O'Reilly Media

O'Reilly Media Reviews

Updated May 5, 2014

O'Reilly Media CEO Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

I'm taken care of and there's a world of meaningful work and possibilities laid out in front of me.

Community Manager (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsI feel like my work matters to the rest of the organization and the world at large. Having worked for myself most of my life, this visceral sense of "making a difference" is important to me. And while there are systems and structures to abide, O'Reilly seems to hire more for character than for talent which means that people are often promoted from within, or shifted around based on their skills as the company evolves.

Benefits are great - I expected a probation period and weak coverage, so imagine my delight and surprise when there was no probation and the coverage was solid! Oh, and great policies surrounding vacation and telecommuting.

ConsCompensation is good, but not the best. It's a trade I was happy to make! If there's one very real complaint I have it's this: a persistent attitude that, having tried something once before, it's not worth doing it again.

Happily, the company is one of free dialog and is increasingly data-driven - so few if any illusions survive for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an ecosystem approach to talent development. Investing back into the local community will pay dividends, though it's not easily quantified up front. We may be an international company, but we do not live in a post-geography world.

A wealth of amazing talent and ideas at ORM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsHad the great opportunity to work alongside some of the smartest, most talented people I've ever met. Very conscious of accommodating work-life balance. Ideas are welcomed and encouraged by senior management. Nowhere else will you find a job that blends ORM's legendary editorial, online, conferences, Foo Camp, Maker Media, Safari Books, and more.

ConsSize of company can sometimes lend itself to too many cooks in the kitchen and a bloated bureaucratic way of dealing with process. So many decisions touch so many related departments that it can take a while to get an idea off the ground.

Culture is too conservative

Web Developer (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsGreat benefits, nice people, free books, Tim O'Reilly

ConsLow salaries (for web developers at least) and the culture doesn't match the norm for modern Bay Area tech companies (change is slow and too much top-down management - despite Tim O'Reilly's influence, much of senior management feels old school rather than collaborative and proactive - stage 3 instead of stage 4 or 5, if you're familiar with the book "Tribal Leadership".

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the amazing info that's in O'Reilly books to the company, particularly the lean startup method, and modern web development practices. Also, work on developing a more conscious culture via positive psychology and emotional intelligence, especially amongst the leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are better ways to waste your time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsThere aren't many. What you initially think will be positive elements, quickly turn into negatives. The surrounding city (Sebastopol) is safe, and very nice, but other than that working at O'Reilly Media (and its many holdings ie; Safari Books, Make, and O'Reilly School of Technology) will leave a sour taste in your mouth, that is unless of course you either fall in line and buy into the slacker mentality that seems to be a staple of how this business "runs". You do get free books though, so if you want to read up and learn some new skills they are pretty helpful with that.

ConsIf O'Reilly Media was located in a bigger city, such as San Francisco, New York, and so on, most of the employees would have left by now. The mentality of this place is morose at best. Many employees and management either barely work at all, or work too much (Make for example). There's an idea that you can talk about what ails you, but in reality no one wants to hear it. Fixing issues means people will have to work, or even come to the conclusion that they are not aiding in the success of the business. Human Resources is well aware of all issues, and it's very clear many of them have a chip on their shoulder. The best advice they can give is to look for a new job, outside of the company. Save yourself some time, and look elsewhere for any type of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a minute to look around at the rest of the state, and country for that matter, and realize that many people are hurting for work. You have the opportunity to simply be a place in which your employees make a paycheck, or actually are proud to work for you. Sadly, most of what I witnessed was that the management could care less.

Thinks better of itself than it is.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsO'Reilly "network" effect. If your lucky and work at it you can meet people who you might not otherwise have met. Location, Sebastopol and Sonoma county are wonderful places to live and work. Make Magazine has been run as a separate group with very little shared and is a much better place to work.

ConsI'll join with the "a company lead by a beancounter" who has gained more and more power over the years. Pay can be pretty terrible. Employees are not very well treated. Lots of dead weight in upper management positions.

Work anywhere but here.

Digital Content Specialist (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe brand is recognized by other tech companies and aids in getting another job.

ConsHaphazard management structure. Lack of respect for employees. Workplace culture of bullying and rudeness. Extremely poor pay. Lack of performance metrics and correspondingly haphazard performance by various departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement by bullying is not a long-term effective strategy. Contempt for federal and state labor laws will result in lawsuits and already results in ridiculously high employee turnover. Instituting exit interviews may provide feedback on why O'Reilly's is such an unsatisfactory place to work.

Web2.0 in a Nutshell: O'Reilly must become more modern

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsIt is a very forward thinking comany that is full of under-payed young talent. Many of these folks will be technology industry leaders within ten years. Pieces of the company like "Make Magazine" and the O'Reilly School of Technology are run by incredibly bright and able folks, who want to make a huge difference in the world. Some of the young editors and customer service folks are way ahead of the curve and will impact the next company that they go to in a very positive way. If you are looking at them as an employer figure on 2-4 years and then go somewhere else.

ConsThe folks at the top are in golden handcuffs and do not listen to basic business sense. They tell half-truths about technology driven projects and reward incompetence. All of them need to look in the mirror and decide if they want to join the 21st century, or retire. They give their Human Resources department no power and start and stop projects too quickly. Most of these folks are really good people who are holding onto their piece of the pie, instead of moving forward and taking risk. This is what happens when a bean counter runs a company with incredible potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new jobs and let the new generation lead.

Good place to work, for less then great pay.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsThe work life balance is excellent, with the exception it seems of our Editors who seem to work far too many hours. Day to day work is engaging, and the company is honestly a trend setter in the Publishing and to a lesser excent these days the technology industry.

ConsThe pay scale at O'Reilly is considered to be about 80% of what one might get working else where in the same position. The usual reason given is that the resume building qualities of O'Reilly are worth the 20%. However given the location (Northern California) it can be very hard for newer employees to live in the area.

From time to time people outside the tech and publishing industries assume you work for Bill O'Reilly ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but find a way to make sure that everyone can afford to stay at O'Reilly.

Loads of great ideas at ORM.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart co-workers, freedom to experiment, and willing to depart from the status quo made my time at ORM enjoyable. Senior management was also very gracious with paid time off around the holiday season, which made for well rested employees when the new year rolled around.

ConsAt times, there would be too many voices while trying to make a decision on which direction to go. This made for slow progress when testing new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to do what they do best.

O'Reilly is a decent place to work.

ProsThere is a pleasant work environment. The benefits are good, the people are nice, generous time off and decent hours.

ConsChanges are very slow, people seem stuck in doing things the familiar way, work can get very hectic with alot of energy spent trying to get changes done.

Worked for O'Reilly Media? Contribute to the Community!