OANDA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edmond Eger III

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Disrespect the people who works there. Senior management sucks!

ProsCasual culture. People who works there is very smart and cool.

ConsUnable senior management. .
    Unable communication between management level and their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting time on politic and fight for your personal benefits but really do set down and listen what your staff is thinking.

Intern decent perks, fun people

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosfor the most part people are friendly and open.

Consrecent layoffs, perks diminishing

Once great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Casual, open environment, but becoming less so as company tries to grow
    - Decent benefits and vacation time
    - Strong, but unfortunately shrinking group of lower to mid level experienced, intelligent employees
    - Decent technology

Cons- Employees who actually get meaningful work done and try to help the business are mostly lower level/lower paid
    - Too many mostly useless upper level employees compared to those lower down who actually know what's going on and do the work
    - Has gone from lean and profitable to overstaffed and disorganized
    - Seems to be all about appearance now, no substance

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many new, overpaid, higher level employees that have very little knowledge of the company or business. Try listening to the good, longer term employees who built a strong company. Currently being destroyed by new ownership/board, and executives with a lot of bad ideas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt was great under Michael Stumm. Flat structure and work used to get done quickly and efficiently. Free lunch once a week.

ConsWe have a new CEO and he's ok so far. K Duker is still hanging around after the transition period and no one knows what he is doing even though he dishes out work and chimes in once in a while on emails. Also not sure what the interim CFO is up to as he is getting most of his buddies involved with the company. A lot of the employees are disengaged and there are no clear steps that will be taken to achieve the unrealistic task of doubling revenue this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great to set high goals but please let the employees know how these goals will be achieved. At this point, an IPO is nothing but wishful thinking.

A good company gone bad

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood environment and friendly people. If there is one team that I would recommend joining, it would be the mobile team. It's awesome participating in hackathons and other social events. Free lunches twice a week.

ConsThere are more managers, Directors and VPs on a project than actual developers who can do the work. I hear the company went from a very flat structure to another extreme. I also can't say people are passionate about their work. It seems many are there to do their day-to-day job without putting in any extra effort. Good luck dealing with HR, it's all about pleasing the agencies. I see lots of pain and transformation for this company if it has any chance of succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe targets for the year are unreal and everyone knows that. Sr. Management has not explained how is it even possible to achieve them for two years in a row. Get some good recruiters and stop using agencies and contractors. There is no culture of transparency at all.

Awesome job out of college, but not more

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending which team you join, you'll learn a lot. Culture under Michael Stumm used to be awesome. But I hear it is changing now.

ConsUnless you do something really extraordinary, like have a smoke break with management, there is really no way to grow. Many people feel unappreciated despite putting long hours to execute the company vision. Thus getting recognition and raise is almost impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn technology business, your staff is your biggest asset. There are a lot of smart people in OANDA don't treat them like they are stupid.

i will tell you what is actually happening here

(Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosrock-solid technical infrastructure, well-oiled money making machine 24/7, the money machine is so well tuned that it's almost impossible to break it

Consnew incompetent senior management team, i.e. K Duker and the suckups, who don't actually know anything about the business. glad they are finally being fired by the board. hopefully the new CEO can patch the wounds. yet to be seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt took 10+ years of financial research and hard core software development to get the machinery to be where it is now. Even the incredibly incompetent K Duker was unable to destroy it. But he did manage to drive away, with his relentless BS, a lot of core employees who made the place what it is today.

So, new CEO, don't pretend to know what you don't know like K did, and listen to your employees, because some of them know way more about FX marketmaking business than you do.

A mixed bag of an experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are lots of smart, collaborative employees at OANDA. You are given a lot of autonomy and you can choose how you want to approach problem-solving since there are no prescribed methods. This also means, you are free to learn about and concentrate on subjects that interest you.

ConsThey are extremely disorganized. The management are poor communicators and it seems being aggressive and un-collaborative are prerequisites for becoming a manager. While most employees are great, the management makes it a very bad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example, not with words. No more talk about world-class, just be world-class. Stop putting incompetent, aggressive jerks in management; it ruins the culture and the work environment. People need to have respect for their leaders to do their best work.

Time for a change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCompany had brilliant developers, a great product.

Consenvironment was isolating and unforgiving

Interesting Business Model; Technology-Driven Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCollaborative work environment. Tremendous reputation in the industry. Lots of really gifted people, especially developers. Freedom to work in your own style. No silly rules about dress code or face time.

ConsThere have been major changes in senior management since I left so this may not still be true, but there was a lack of transparency, communication and process that could make it a frustrating place to work. They tend to be stingy and inconsistent with compensation. Half the company is developers so the whole place is very engineering-focused. It can feel like the tail wagging the dog sometimes.

Worked for OANDA? Contribute to the Community!