OANDA Reviews

3.1
Edmond Eger III

Strong Historical Performer; Future Growth Unlimited

I have been working at OANDA

Pros

Great leadership. Great employees. Amazing atmosphere. Open and communicative.

Cons

Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!

A Great Place To Work

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

Nice workplace, good people, good management, strong executive team and board, compelling strategy and vision. Exciting but not crazy, professional yet fun, challenging but not overwhelming. I like working here and feel like my contributions are meaningful, valued and recognized.

Cons

It can be a bit disorganized at times, and having multiple offices in various time zones introduces communication challenges. Communications equipment needs improvements, especially in light of how critical it is since we rely on remote communication so much.

Advice to Management

Fix the communications equipment issues. More generally, let's get rid of the minor impediments and annoyances that conflate together to cause major issues and frustration.

Been with OANDA many year

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

Tons of smart, quirky, fun people. Reasonable hours. Committed to going agile. Company takes integrity seriously.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to communicate with many global offices. Could arguably make a larger, positive global impact elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should set a more clear, consistent, and aligned path forward (this is getting better)

Very positive work environment

Current Employee - CMO in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CMO in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great business opportunity. Shared goals

Cons

Very global & distributed which makes teamwork a bit more challenging due to time zones and distances

Advice to Management

Keep working on focus. Great progress over the past year!

Hard working environment good rewards/pay

Current Employee - Forex Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Forex Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at OANDA

Pros

Small intricate office, less office politics. Every department works with each other to achieve the final goal of IPO in the future.
    Lunch on a friday courtesy of the company is always a bonus.
    Remuneration package has its benefits, as well as private health care.

Cons

Office is not great...but plans of moving soon coming to fruition.

Advice to Management

Heading in the right direction, focus on the small wins

Continuous Learning and Opportunities

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities available, Employee welfare, Continuous learning, Good Exposure and Experience

Cons

Head office is in Toronto, 12 hours time difference

Interesting Business Model; Technology-Driven Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment. Tremendous reputation in the industry. Lots of really gifted people, especially developers. Freedom to work in your own style. No silly rules about dress code or face time.

Cons

There have been major changes in senior management since I left so this may not still be true, but there was a lack of transparency, communication and process that could make it a frustrating place to work. They tend to be stingy and inconsistent with compensation. Half the company is developers so the whole place is very engineering-focused. It can feel like the tail wagging the dog sometimes.

9. Culture

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

Smart, educated and intelligent people

Cons

lack of vision and leadership, improving now

Great place to work, great people!

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

I come to work every day because of the people, and leave most days feeling like I've learned something new today. If you are entrepreneurial and self-motivated, there is good opportunity to move between areas of the business, gain new skills and influence decisions. Anyone can walk up to the CEO, share their views and be taken seriously. The company has gone through a number of shifts over the past few years, but seems well-positioned now to grow.

Cons

Many of the former challenges with management and clarity of direction have been resolved. The usual challenges of working in a distributed company with regional offices remain, but communication seems to be improving.

Advice to Management

Keep staying true to OANDA's hard-won reputation for treating clients fairly: it's why we're here.

Great people, tech focused

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

OANDA is an organization full of very talented and intelligent people. As we like to say, "we are a tech company who happens to be in the Forex space." The company uses a diverse set of tools and technologies and no matter your speciality there is a place for you: backend trading systems where performance and reliability is critical, industry leading mobile trading, and cutting edge web experience. You can gain a great deal of technical expertise at OANDA, especially if you move around from team to team (for which the company is very accommodating).

Work place is very laid back and fun. No cubicles and you can walk up and talk to anyone. Quarterly hackathons are a plus where you can try out your own ideas and build it. Pay and benefits are average.

Management has a clear direction of where they want to take the company and are working hard to execute. Management's communication is forthright, honest and down to earth.

Cons

OANDA has and continues to be challenged by a commitment to software excellence. While we like to tout that we are building best in class software, in reality many corners are cut and basic industry practices are still not followed on a regular basis. While I am not a purist and realize that this is the reality in any human endeavour, the cultural acceptance of substandard practices is alarming. While things are improving somewhat there is still a reticence by both management and engineering to tackle the problem head on.

Advice to Management

OANDA's comparative advantages are both its brand and ability to execute. While client and geographic growth continues to be very important, don't neglect the quality of our people and processes. Customer value and our bottom line ultimately depends on being better than the competition and we can't lose sight of the fact that we must constantly innovate: both in novel technology additions but also in people and practices.

RSS Feed </> Embed