OANDA Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Potential to Significantly Disrupt a Historically Closed Market

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic brand and reputation with clients. A genuine drive internally to do right by the client. Limitless potential to truly democratize the currency markets and change how people think about foreign exchange.

Cons

Globally dispersed nature makes communication/coordination sometimes difficult. We are also stretching ourselves by thin by entering a lot of different markets and business lines.

Advice to Management

We have now focused the company by organizing and prioritizing critical initiatives, but we must take care not to stifle ideas that have the potential to disrupt the industry. We need to relentlessly, at all levels, make the client's problem our problem

2. Highly Recommended

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great people with some of the most intelligent, talented and praise worthy members. Customer focus is the best I've known so far.

Cons

Too much underutilized working space.

3. Growing in leaps and bounds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA (More than 3 years)

Pros

OANDA has passionate and innovative teams who are committed to delivering customer value. People are super smart. Our CEO is totally accessible to staff and promotes open communication. He wants to know "what's on your mind?" I enjoy coming to work everyday. I feel I have a voice, add value and influence decisions. I've been given opportunity to learn, gain new skills and take on new projects. The atmosphere is casual and there's good work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate culture takes time to change so there have been growing pains as OANDA has moved out of the "start up" mentality. Priorities can shift quickly. Communication across the regions with the time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the brand. Continue to invest in your people.

5. Culture

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

Smart, educated and intelligent people

Cons

lack of vision and leadership, improving now

Lots of shifts, lack of strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good people, strong technologies, people with vision

Cons

Lack of leadership, short attention span, shifts in strategy

Advice to Management

You're hiring some top leadership based on past experiences in Forex, which is good, however, if the experience was with a largely failed broker you won't have success to leverage, but failure.

Great place to work, great people!

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

I come to work every day because of the people, and leave most days feeling like I've learned something new today. If you are entrepreneurial and self-motivated, there is good opportunity to move between areas of the business, gain new skills and influence decisions. Anyone can walk up to the CEO, share their views and be taken seriously. The company has gone through a number of shifts over the past few years, but seems well-positioned now to grow.

Cons

Many of the former challenges with management and clarity of direction have been resolved. The usual challenges of working in a distributed company with regional offices remain, but communication seems to be improving.

Advice to Management

Keep staying true to OANDA's hard-won reputation for treating clients fairly: it's why we're here.

Hard working environment good rewards/pay

Current Employee - Forex Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Forex Specialist in London, England (UK)

Pros

Small intricate office, less office politics. Every department works with each other to achieve the final goal of IPO in the future. Lunch on a friday courtesy of the company is always a bonus. Remuneration package has its benefits, as well as private health care.

Cons

Office is not great...but plans of moving soon coming to fruition.

Advice to Management

Heading in the right direction, focus on the small wins

Very positive as a new employee. OANDA is a progressive company with some very strong talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

As a new employee there is a lot of encouragement to put your own view on things. As I learn the business I am impressed by the passion of our leadership team and the ingenuity of our people.

Cons

There appears to be an need to increase communication across teams. Also, recognition and development for long term, vested employees is an opportunity.

Great people, tech focused

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

OANDA is an organization full of very talented and intelligent people. As we like to say, "we are a tech company who happens to be in the Forex space." The company uses a diverse set of tools and technologies and no matter your speciality there is a place for you: backend trading systems where performance and reliability is critical, industry leading mobile trading, and cutting edge web experience. You can gain a great deal of technical expertise at OANDA, especially if you move around from team to team (for which the company is very accommodating). Work place is very laid back and fun. No cubicles and you can walk up and talk to anyone. Quarterly hackathons are a plus where you can try out your own ideas and build it. Pay and benefits are average. Management has a clear direction of where they want to take the company and are working hard to execute. Management's communication is forthright, honest and down to earth.

Cons

OANDA has and continues to be challenged by a commitment to software excellence. While we like to tout that we are building best in class software, in reality many corners are cut and basic industry practices are still not followed on a regular basis. While I am not a purist and realize that this is the reality in any human endeavour, the cultural acceptance of substandard practices is alarming. While things are improving somewhat there is still a reticence by both management and engineering to tackle the problem head on.

Advice to Management

OANDA's comparative advantages are both its brand and ability to execute. While client and geographic growth continues to be very important, don't neglect the quality of our people and processes. Customer value and our bottom line ultimately depends on being better than the competition and we can't lose sight of the fact that we must constantly innovate: both in novel technology additions but also in people and practices.

Growth

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

As I read the reviews here, all I can think of is the employee that expects things to be handed to them. There is a lot of banter about "management needs to understand the market and clients better etc" But I can tell you that most of these people commenting do not understand the market or clients. I work with a lot of you. Yes, that is the case here that there are many people that do not understand the market or client. But what most people miss is the opportunity to grow. This company is one of the best capitalized companies out there (way over gain and fxcm). The SNB situation was handled like a pro from management. It seems that there are those that want to take credit for change taking place without putting in the work (referencing the negative comments here). If you're so sure that you know what's best, speak up!!! If management does not understand certain things, why do you not push for it? This is such a relaxed environment in terms of communication that if you simply walk up to any upper management and start talking about ideas (that come from your understanding of the market etc) They will listen! We are all here to make money, and those that complain that oanda is a profit driven company now are in lala land, what the heck do you thnk the point of running a business is? Where there is an opportunity, there is a chance for growth. Stop complaining about ego's and management, and grow a pair, and be bold. I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing people, and have learned a ton through the process. We have had record months in terms of accounts and revenue lately and that trend is going to continue. I don't know if many of you have ever had to work someplace that is not as accomadating as oanda, if you have, you probably have a good opinion of the company, if not, you're probably a little spoiled and again expect too much without the effort. If you are wasting your time here, and think that the company is going nowhere, you are not only wasting the companies time, but more importantly your own. Think about that. My biggest pro at this company is the opportunities that are present. We do lack in many ways what seems like absolute no brainers, but therein lays the opportunities. Grass is always greener, things can always improve, but you have to be like Obama at Oanda and want change!!

Cons

It's in Toronto, well I am. And it's cold for too long out of the year. There is no ice tea, but everything else you'd want to drink, even a beer fridge on the engineers side!

Advice to Management

Options. no not the investing or hedging kind. The kind of options more along the lines of choice. If we were a super market, we would only have apples. We need more options to target a more diverse group of investors and traders. We want to be a one stop shop. The clients will come as the reputation in the brokerage business is extremely powerful and we lose clients because the options are not there. We do have many options available, but they are scattered around and hard to find. Keep up the good work, and be open to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed