OANDA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Edmond Eger III

Lots of shifts, lack of strategy

I worked at OANDA

Pros

Good people, strong technologies, people with vision

Cons

Lack of leadership, short attention span, shifts in strategy

Advice to Management

You're hiring some top leadership based on past experiences in Forex, which is good, however, if the experience was with a largely failed broker you won't have success to leverage, but failure.

Very positive as a new employee. OANDA is a progressive company with some very strong talent.

I have been working at OANDA

Pros

As a new employee there is a lot of encouragement to put your own view on things. As I learn the business I am impressed by the passion of our leadership team and the ingenuity of our people.

Cons

There appears to be an need to increase communication across teams. Also, recognition and development for long term, vested employees is an opportunity.

Great people, tech focused

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

OANDA is an organization full of very talented and intelligent people. As we like to say, "we are a tech company who happens to be in the Forex space." The company uses a diverse set of tools and technologies and no matter your speciality there is a place for you: backend trading systems where performance and reliability is critical, industry leading mobile trading, and cutting edge web experience. You can gain a great deal of technical expertise at OANDA, especially if you move around from team to team (for which the company is very accommodating).

Work place is very laid back and fun. No cubicles and you can walk up and talk to anyone. Quarterly hackathons are a plus where you can try out your own ideas and build it. Pay and benefits are average.

Management has a clear direction of where they want to take the company and are working hard to execute. Management's communication is forthright, honest and down to earth.

Cons

OANDA has and continues to be challenged by a commitment to software excellence. While we like to tout that we are building best in class software, in reality many corners are cut and basic industry practices are still not followed on a regular basis. While I am not a purist and realize that this is the reality in any human endeavour, the cultural acceptance of substandard practices is alarming. While things are improving somewhat there is still a reticence by both management and engineering to tackle the problem head on.

Advice to Management

OANDA's comparative advantages are both its brand and ability to execute. While client and geographic growth continues to be very important, don't neglect the quality of our people and processes. Customer value and our bottom line ultimately depends on being better than the competition and we can't lose sight of the fact that we must constantly innovate: both in novel technology additions but also in people and practices.

recently....disappointing!

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was once a cool, fun place to work.

Cons

This was once a cool, fun place to work. But lately its suffering from:
    - confused management
    - lack of direction
    - abysmal perks

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA

Pros

Full of smart developers and great people to hang out with.

Cons

A couple of their applications have old codebases that are a pain to work on.

IPO pipe dream

I have been working at OANDA

Pros

Lunch, breakfast, pizza...... what else?

Cons

The "executive committee" is made up of the most ego-centric people i have ever met. The focus is on an IPO and they have taken the company away from the path that made it great. The company has become an experiment for venture capitalists and their cronies that now occupy senior positions. If you're not brown nosing them, you're pretty much a goner.

Oanda is merely a crumb compared to GAIN Capital or FXCM who make more in a quarter than this company makes in a year. IPO? yeah right.

Advice to Management

Keep it real and tell employees what's really happening. The town-hall meetings give us sugar coated information.

Horrible place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once a great company. Some very talented people working there but the talent is dwindling. Free lunch a couple times a week I guess is the best pro.

Cons

Management unfit for their positions. Very abrasive, rude and self entitled leaders if that's what you call them. Status is more important to senior management than the team working for them.

Advice to Management

Support your employees!!!

Headed for failure

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks and lunch. That's about it. I am really having a hard time thinking of anything positive to say about this operation.

Cons

Management is highly incompetent, poor decision making, even worse leadership. There is a major disconnect between departments. Hard work is not rewarded. Also close to 40% of the company was laid off in 2014.

Advice to Management

Thanks for ruining what was once a great company.

Advice to anyone thinking of working here - look elsewhere.

A company in decline headed for bankruptcy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of food and beverage and some party perks that are not appreciated by staff based on comments to the person who arranges food/beverages

Cons

Management worst I have seen like to promote from within which is great if within has any talent they don't huge issue between software company or financial company engineers think software rest think financial. Money when profitable (not in any month in 2014) comes from being a trading company not from selling software which sounds like a financial company to me? Two rounds of downsizing so far in 2014.

Advice to Management

find a buyer or close shop current plans require massive expense cuts (30%) and market good not great market performance to break even. Do you need engineers when cheaper 'coders' from college can likely be more productive in most positions.

RE: The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Some of the smartest people I ever met.
    • Correction (There is no lunch twice a week for quite some time now.)
    • Breakfast Mondays, Dinner Tuesdays, Lunch Wednesdays
    • A lot of perks, you can view them in our recruitment site.

Cons

It's too bad some people feel so negatively about management in the marketing team. I can understand some individuals are frustrated about their managers, however there are no perfect work environments.

Just a note to the individual who claims to be a current employee. There are a few points you have mentioned in your review that tell me that you have not worked here within the last 6 months. Please do not post that you are a current employee. It makes the current team look bad.

Advice to Management

Currently our managers do work to get the best experience for us to the best of their ability while also managing their everyday responsibilities.

It is unfair to the managers and to the reader to be misinformed. Our managers ARE able perform.

RSS Feed </> Embed