OANDA Reviews

4.0
Edmond Eger III

1. Growing in leaps and bounds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA (More than 3 years)

Pros

OANDA has passionate and innovative teams who are committed to delivering customer value. People are super smart. Our CEO is totally accessible to staff and promotes open communication. He wants to know "what's on your mind?" I enjoy coming to work everyday. I feel I have a voice, add value and influence decisions. I've been given opportunity to learn, gain new skills and take on new projects. The atmosphere is casual and there's good work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate culture takes time to change so there have been growing pains as OANDA has moved out of the "start up" mentality. Priorities can shift quickly. Communication across the regions with the time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the brand. Continue to invest in your people.

2. Highly Recommended

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great people with some of the most intelligent, talented and praise worthy members. Customer focus is the best I've known so far.

Cons

Too much underutilized working space.

Very positive as a new employee. OANDA is a progressive company with some very strong talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

As a new employee there is a lot of encouragement to put your own view on things. As I learn the business I am impressed by the passion of our leadership team and the ingenuity of our people.

Cons

There appears to be an need to increase communication across teams. Also, recognition and development for long term, vested employees is an opportunity.

Great people, tech focused

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

OANDA is an organization full of very talented and intelligent people. As we like to say, "we are a tech company who happens to be in the Forex space." The company uses a diverse set of tools and technologies and no matter your speciality there is a place for you: backend trading systems where performance and reliability is critical, industry leading mobile trading, and cutting edge web experience. You can gain a great deal of technical expertise at OANDA, especially if you move around from team to team (for which the company is very accommodating). Work place is very laid back and fun. No cubicles and you can walk up and talk to anyone. Quarterly hackathons are a plus where you can try out your own ideas and build it. Pay and benefits are average. Management has a clear direction of where they want to take the company and are working hard to execute. Management's communication is forthright, honest and down to earth.

Cons

OANDA has and continues to be challenged by a commitment to software excellence. While we like to tout that we are building best in class software, in reality many corners are cut and basic industry practices are still not followed on a regular basis. While I am not a purist and realize that this is the reality in any human endeavour, the cultural acceptance of substandard practices is alarming. While things are improving somewhat there is still a reticence by both management and engineering to tackle the problem head on.

Advice to Management

OANDA's comparative advantages are both its brand and ability to execute. While client and geographic growth continues to be very important, don't neglect the quality of our people and processes. Customer value and our bottom line ultimately depends on being better than the competition and we can't lose sight of the fact that we must constantly innovate: both in novel technology additions but also in people and practices.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Full of smart developers and great people to hang out with.

Cons

A couple of their applications have old codebases that are a pain to work on.

RE: The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Some of the smartest people I ever met. • Correction (There is no lunch twice a week for quite some time now.) • Breakfast Mondays, Dinner Tuesdays, Lunch Wednesdays • A lot of perks, you can view them in our recruitment site.

Cons

It's too bad some people feel so negatively about management in the marketing team. I can understand some individuals are frustrated about their managers, however there are no perfect work environments. Just a note to the individual who claims to be a current employee. There are a few points you have mentioned in your review that tell me that you have not worked here within the last 6 months. Please do not post that you are a current employee. It makes the current team look bad.

Advice to Management

Currently our managers do work to get the best experience for us to the best of their ability while also managing their everyday responsibilities. It is unfair to the managers and to the reader to be misinformed. Our managers ARE able perform.

Intern decent perks, fun people

Former Intern - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

for the most part people are friendly and open.

Cons

recent layoffs, perks diminishing

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work.. People are treated well

Cons

You need to be proactive.

Advice to Management

Need to introduce more structure

Fun and rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The developers there are smart, relaxed and fun to work with. It is an enjoyable work environment with a lot of interesting projects going on.

Cons

The management is reorganizing and the work environment is shifting. Things seem to be going downhill a bit but they may stabilize

Advice to Management

Please keep in mind that developers work best in relaxed environments where they can enjoy what they do, feel rewarded by their hard work and don't have to worry about management too much.

RSS Feed </> Embed