OBXtek Reviews

Reset
2.6
CEO

1. One of the Best Employers in DMV

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for many contractors, and OBXtek is one of the best. They are communicative and very responsive to all my questions.

Cons

Very busy so may take a day to get back to me when emailing them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Needs some work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at OBXtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay Opportunities for growth Good health benefits

Cons

Poor communication from head office Ever changing benefits, false promises People promoted into leadership roles ill-equipped for job

Advice to Management

Value your employees and listen to them

Slashing Benefits to Punish Employees

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. The 4-5 star ratings are clearly submitted by headquarters as they lack any specifics.

Cons

After several employees filed an official complaint to the Department of Labor for several legal/labor violations, the company responded by slashing benefits. Goodbye 401k matching!

Advice to Management

Respect your employees

The most honest review about a dishonest company that does not value their employees.

Former Employee - IT Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Baltimore, MD

I worked at OBXtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The health benefits (only) were good for a small company. 2) Maybe your coworkers.

Cons

1) They will cut your salary with very short notice in order to maximize profits for the company. 2) No bonuses. 3) No opportunities for advancement. 4) No employee development. 5) No merit increases. They will use you until you for as long as you let them. Un/fortunately, they lose a lot of good people. If you don't care about the cons then you will enjoy working at OBXTek, inc.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing an excellent job providing great talent to better companies.

one of many disgruntled employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at OBXtek full-time

Pros

OBXTek has made significant efforts to communicate policy changes (albeit negative) to staff. Offers 4% employer match to 401k.

Cons

Leadership refuses to respond to email because they don't want to put words in writing. I've been personally attacked over the phone. Leadership has been flip-flopping on issues such as transportation benefits, annual raises, and days off. So far all three have been promised and then cut.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Submit guidance in writing. Respond to employee questions and concerns via email. Warn employees of pay and benefit cuts ahead of time.

Disrespectful and Dishonest Company

I have been working at OBXtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: -The Recruitment Process: During my search for a new company and opportunity, I was presented with a very pretty picture from OBX’s company handbook. I truly felt I was moving into the cream of the crop, and was so excited to begin my endeavor with what seemed to be a great company. -I love my coworkers at the entry and mid levels. It seems as though OBX at least has a good eye for quality working people.

Cons

Cons: -Vacation Time: The company has recently changed its leave policy from using ‘Paid Time Off’ to going to the legally mandated minimum for employee benefits. Vacation time has been cut by more than 25%, which results in employees having to choose between their own physical health, mental health and possibly not receiving pay for needing that time off. -Comp Time: The ability to makeup time has changed and is more restricted. You are not able to makeup time within the pay period any longer and you must make up any day missed within that same workweek. -Incentive Pay: No raise until after 2018 (essentially the length of the contract). -Violating Basic Labor Laws: One big labor law that was violated was when OBX refused to pay the correct amount for overtime until the Department of Labor was contacted about it. -Benefits: Lacking severely insofar as transit benefits, which, for some people, equal to more than $200 per paycheck. With no raise and rising medical costs, that makes it quite a concern. Also, no payment for Health & Wellness. -Training: I have been pushing for training since the moment I arrived on the job, and have yet to receive any formal training for my position. I have had to learn it all on my own and deal with the daily stress of possibly not completing something correctly. -Management and Leadership: Disrespectful and purposefully ignores messages and concerns from employees. No decisions are made until management is pushed on the matter from its government counterpart. Personally, I would not recommend this company to anyone. You can make your own sound decision about whether or not to work for this company, but I warn you against the pretty picture that will be presented to you. It may seem like your golden ticket, but it’s all fool’s gold.

Advice to Management

I am not impressed by the pretty picture and high numbers that OBX continues to advertise. If OBX is truly succeeding that much and truly believes in its employees and their happiness, I suggest showing a little more respect and value to your employees. Upper management has made it abundantly clear how little it cares about its employees and their welfare by being disrespectful and lacking not only integrity but sincerity as well.

Great Company, Exciting Work

I have been working at OBXtek

Pros

I have been employed at OBXtek for over three years. During that time i have seen the company grow but management has never lost track of its most valuable resource, their employees. In the ultra competitive world of government contracting they have continued to provide me with a good salary and excellent benefits. In my job I support the federal government helping to ensure that critical systems operate properly benefiting the citizens of the United States. I am proud to support this mission and be a part of OBXtek.

Cons

I am unable to come up with any negative issues related to my employment with OBXtek.

Advice to Management

Continue to support me and my customer. I really appreciate management's support and open door policy.

OBXtek is a great company to work for!

I have been working at OBXtek

Pros

I just wanted to say thank you to OBXtek! I have worked there almost 3 years, and had the ability to grow and move up in the company. I have also watched the company win several awards over that last few years. Due to excellent leadership, and good employees. When I have had a question about benefits/employment, HR has been very responsive, and informative in helping me. I would definitely recommend this company to work, and have to several people :)

Cons

None that really come to mind

greedy, inexperienced contracting company

Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I have been working at OBXtek (More than a year)

Pros

-They offer health and dental insurance.

Cons

-Inexperienced staff on every level! -Lack of upward mobility. -Rude senior leadership. -Clique atmosphere. -lack of communication on every level, especially with lower level staff. -HR is incompetent at best. They messed up every single document during my hiring process. They are not versed in the labor laws and violated a few. -the company expanded too quickly and have been unable to adapt. -no raises or bonuses for 5 years. -no transit benefits.

Advice to Management

I'm very unhappy and unimpressed with this company. Senior leadership is more interested in lining their pockets than retaining quality people. You have made it clear that taking care of your employees is not a priority.

RSS Feed </> Embed