OC Communications Reviews

Craig Freeman

1. Cable tech

Current Employee - Cable Tech in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Tech in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, pretty good pay if willing to work for it !!! You learn a lot about cabling as well as, new comcast equipment

Cons

Turnover rate is high!!! I have had 8 different supervisors in the year I have worked for the company...Promotions to supervisor and alarms team is chosen purely on like ability!!! I actually trained my supervisor !!!! Just a little food for thought

Advice to Management

Stress quality to New hires and train them well so other technicians aren't left working late or having to switch their route around because another technician can't do a certain job

2. Cable tech (Kumar)

Former Employee - Cable Installer in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Cable Installer in Fairfield, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time

Pros

Best company to works for.

Cons

If u r lazy please don't apply. Cuz this company is for ppl who work hard cuz reward is great.. Manager and sup like Kevin is best to work with .. God bless this pple and company..

3. Technician

Former Employee - Installation Tech in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Installation Tech in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience for the first month on how to install Comcast afterwards try to go to actual Comcast for better pay.

Cons

Way too many hours for less pay, work 6 days a week from 7 am to when you get off normally around 11 pm.

Advice to Management

Low moral in the company that is why employees only stay for a couple of months.

5. Work hard play hard

Current Employee - Video Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Video Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at OC Communications

Pros

The money is there to be made if you are a self motivated person

Cons

No weekend's off over worked at times

Advice to Management

Give us weekend's off and paid holidays

Worst management I've ever dealt with.

Former Employee - Residential Cable Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Cable Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many things positive things I would say about this company. From top to bottom, it is terribly run.

Cons

Everything from the pay, to policies. Something new to deal with every month, as far as rules are concerned. Something that was ok last month isn't ok this month, etc. They literally steal from their employees. They will change your paperwork, and time card to suit their needs-beware of that red pen! That means you won't get paid for your work, or the hours you spent doing it. Morning meetings were filled with yelling and belittlement. They used fear/scare tactics as motivation. I can't even count the lawsuits filed against them, and a lot of other Comcast sub contractors. Your supervisors will slave you as much as possible to make themselves look good to management, so they can move up the ladder. I had 2 supervisors in 14 months of working there. One was promoted to an upper management position, and the other was a tech who had just been promoted into his position. The first guy was younger, and had no business being in his position to begin with. He was apparently a good technician, but that doesn't mean he was supervisor material. The guy hid all day long from his techs, and never helped any of us. He would park his truck and play on his phone. There is so much more I could go into detail about, but I doubt most people want to hear it all. Just overall, this place doesn't give a single care in the world about its technicians, and the lawsuits prove it.

Advice to Management

How about real training programs for supervisors, etc. Don't stick technicians into a supervisor role, because they had good numbers as a tech. Take into consideration what their resume says first. You can't stick an untrained person into a role supervising 12 other guys because he did well installing cable. It doesn't work. Also, change the motivational speeches at the morning meetings. There isn't a need to take out your own shortcomings on the techs. There are hundreds of variables in this field that can change how well techs perform, and what their numbers are. Different, or fair grading systems would help more than you small minded people can imagine. One last thing...before you send new technicians out to install cable, you ought to at least warn them about crawling under houses, and what safety precautions they should take. Then again, maybe the company ought to learn first. Previously I was a home inspector, and nobody ever said a word about wearing any PPE before crawling under a house. There is stuff in the soil from the 60's that was banned before some of these guys were even born, and it can kill people. The training programs for techs are a joke. It is just a crash course, because of the outrageously high turnover rate.

High Turn Over For A Reason

I have been working at OC Communications

Pros

A job..... Thats about it.

Cons

Everything about this job sucks. I have worked for OCC for six months and I hate every minute of it. 6 days a week. Up to 16 hour days. I cant even get up early enough because ther is nothing to look forward to. The pay is terrible. Mike Lawalin the manager is a complete jerk and a moron. I feel sorry for everyone who works ther including myself. I work so much I cant even find the time to look for another job.... If you dont enjoy life then come over and put in an application because once your part of the team you are a slave and dont have a life....

Advice to Management

Get a new job.... start living life and stop stressing about everything...

8. Cable, Phones, and Internet Technician

Current Employee - Communications Technician in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Technician in Stockton, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people and new places

Cons

Going into dirty houses were you cant even walk

9. Field Technician

Current Employee - Field Technician in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy what I do there. My Supervisor is very nice to me and all my colleagues and also we work well as a team.

Cons

OC Communications has exposed me to another level of technology where we use cables to connect our client services. The Technology is number one.

Advice to Management

I am proud of OC Communications

14 hrs/day 6 days/week for almost nothing

Current Employee - Communications Technician in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Technician in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are homeless otherwise and have no other options then this is the job for you. Desperate for anything at all? Apply today. Like an abusive, childish, management team that bullies you and threatens your job every day? Apply today. Feel like your time it's worth pennies on the dollar? Apply today. Body warm? Apply today.

Cons

I am lied to constantly about pay. I'm bullied daily about numbers I don't care about. I'm treated like I'm less than human. We get paid so little for the things we do. The company has standardized how long things should take and decide to pay us literally pennies on the dollar the company charges customers $100 for something they only pay us $1. How I'm supposed to feed my kids? It's usually 14-16 hr days. None of us have the energy or time to keep up our houses or run errands or see family. When we call in sick we get bullied and harassed, asked personal questions, and threatened. Imagine mopping up human waste all day and and getting paid with a ham and cheese sandwich with no condiments. That's how I feel at the end of the day. They don't make it clear how we've been paid. They choose to not pay us for things and not tell us.

Advice to Management

If you pay your work force well, you get quality work in a timely manner from happy employees. The management, ESPECIALLY at the Petaluma CA shop needs to be aware of their abhorrent practices. The company doesn't care about its employees at all. And makes us feel like our time is worth nothing. This was my dream job till I got it. Now it's my nightmare. That's not how to run a company. Bullying is not okay. Low pay and high hours is not okay. Six day work weeks are not okay.

ok work depending on what you're looking for

I have been working at OC Communications

Pros

You get to learn a lot about cable installation, especially technical phone installations. Lots of bro camraderie among employees.

Cons

Low pay for hard work. It is kind of hard to track the way they pay you to make sure they're paying you properly for all your piecerate work and drivetime.

Asbestos is a big, downplayed concern. Lots of buildings have asbestos and you don't know very well if you're working around asbestos. They say that you should look for signage of asbestos or ask the maintenance guy but often you won't see the signage in such a huge building or the maintenance guy won't be available.

RSS Feed </> Embed