OC Communications Reviews

Craig Freeman

1. Cable tech

Current Employee - Cable Tech in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Tech in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, pretty good pay if willing to work for it !!! You learn a lot about cabling as well as, new comcast equipment

Cons

Turnover rate is high!!! I have had 8 different supervisors in the year I have worked for the company...Promotions to supervisor and alarms team is chosen purely on like ability!!! I actually trained my supervisor !!!! Just a little food for thought

Advice to Management

Stress quality to New hires and train them well so other technicians aren't left working late or having to switch their route around because another technician can't do a certain job

2. Had complaints from dispatchers, technicians, warehouse, and supervisors. Not one person openly ENJOYED working there.

Pros

Not really any pro's. The pay was complicated and unexplained but would probably be the only possible pro. The pay was more than I was used to but we were also working 10-14 hours a day for 5-6 days a week.

Cons

Pays in piece rate. Minimum wage hourly while driving. On the job, hourly pay stops and you are only paid for what you install and what you do. Which sounded fine but you're a technician and random things will go wrong and are not even remotely trained to be suited to handle said problems. Not to mention the prices for the piece rate change all the time (ex. to replace a line coming off of the street to the house was around $4.91 and to run a new line around someone's house was worth around$3.00) and you are not told about it, you'll only know how much you get for what you claim when you get you're paycheck. Don't expect to get days off. I was out until 9:30 p.m. mothers day and past 10 p.m. Easter Sunday. I was working so much I didn't even have to will to find a better career let alone help my family at home. It put a still recovering strain on my family. I've heard of plenty of people getting divorced over the job as well as breaking down into tears because they don't see their family anymore. And they're not deployed in the military or shipping across the U.S., they're just simple cable men. Also take into the account that you are going into random people's houses and dealing with situations where people generally get upset if things aren't going right or if you have to tell them something they didn't expect. And that can be dangerous for YOU or can also mean the customer can lie and say you damaged something of theirs (a customer once complained I broke a computer that I didn't even know existed let alone touch, and got away with it, I was punished for the claim). You're also responsible for the company truck you're driving around and if somebody is road raging and the number on you truck winds up in front of them, regardless of what actually happened, YOU are in the wrong. All of these things together provide more than enough reason to not work for this company in my opinion. Most of the tasks are reasonable but not for the pay we were getting. And yes, the turnover rate is TERRIBLE.

Advice to Management

Clear up confusion and ignorance of technicians as well as take less jobs to mirror a normal full time / overtime position.

3. Horrible pay.. Please stay away unless you have no other option

Former Employee - Cable Tech in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Cable Tech in Stockton, CA

Pros

A job and nothing more

Cons

A sheet of codes is given to you based on how much you get paid per job, when the daily reports had been submitted to supervisors they will filter hundreds of dollars worth of codes you should have been paid for weekly. Management will tell you your paperwork is wrong but they are never really clear about anything and it seems like you could never really fix it . they don't tell you any of this or make you aware of it so you don't repeat same mistakes for the next days, a week later management will come to you and give you a sheet of paper with all the codes you are getting paid for, they wanted sign immediately quickly and turned in without giving you the opportunity to review it and ask questions so that you would give up and move on , when you try to figure out how to read it, it's extremely complicated purposely so you would immediately give up on it, when you try to talk to management about it, they will quickly change the subject and they will make you feel guilty with little morals about numbers, which I hardly care about, it's a constant battle about numbers and pays in the company and everyone who works there are always stressed out about having bad days every single day and and constantly complaining about working long 16 hour days and tiny paychecks . A huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders when I left the company and start working for a new honest paid company and I've been stress free for the first time since I left OC Communications. This company will dry you up, burn you out, take you to the ground and keep you down until you find a way out, no one had worked there for more than two years. The company has an incredibly high turnover rate, people go back to there former restaurants jobs. And for those of you who are thinking about applying, just know one thing, you will eventually want to commit suicide if you put up with this company..

Advice to Management

Hopeless. No point

5. WORST- STAYYYY AWAYYYY i wish i knew

Former Employee - Cable Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Cable Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

anyone gets a job there

Cons

bullied by management and supervisors cursing the F word at you 24/7's, mostly only hire jamaicans/ haitians and spanish people in miami and broward to do this type of work maybe 2 white guys as a tech the rest of them are supervisors. looooooooong 12 to 16 hour shifts 6 days a week, little training, tricky pay- they pay by "piecerate" they calculate the hours you work minus what u make at the job and divide by hourly rate ....... its all tricky people get robbed for their money over and over. we used to have to come off work at 7,8,9 and go stand in a line for two hours with 25 techs because we have to return equipment at night, smh shame on this company.

Advice to Management

train your techs better it used to be 3 months training at $12.00 an hour now its one month training at $9.00 an hour, techs have to learn on there own by messing customers homes up in the field. supervisors dont help, and they dont care what time u leave work.

6. Cable tech (Kumar)

Former Employee - Cable Installer in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Cable Installer in Fairfield, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time

Pros

Best company to works for.

Cons

If u r lazy please don't apply. Cuz this company is for ppl who work hard cuz reward is great.. Manager and sup like Kevin is best to work with .. God bless this pple and company..

7. Technician

Former Employee - Installation Tech in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Installation Tech in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience for the first month on how to install Comcast afterwards try to go to actual Comcast for better pay.

Cons

Way too many hours for less pay, work 6 days a week from 7 am to when you get off normally around 11 pm.

Advice to Management

Low moral in the company that is why employees only stay for a couple of months.

8. Work hard play hard

Current Employee - Video Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Video Technician in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The money is there to be made if you are a self motivated person

Cons

No weekend's off over worked at times

Advice to Management

Give us weekend's off and paid holidays

Worst management I've ever dealt with.

Former Employee - Residential Cable Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Cable Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many things positive things I would say about this company. From top to bottom, it is terribly run.

Cons

Everything from the pay, to policies. Something new to deal with every month, as far as rules are concerned. Something that was ok last month isn't ok this month, etc. They literally steal from their employees. They will change your paperwork, and time card to suit their needs-beware of that red pen! That means you won't get paid for your work, or the hours you spent doing it. Morning meetings were filled with yelling and belittlement. They used fear/scare tactics as motivation. I can't even count the lawsuits filed against them, and a lot of other Comcast sub contractors. Your supervisors will slave you as much as possible to make themselves look good to management, so they can move up the ladder. I had 2 supervisors in 14 months of working there. One was promoted to an upper management position, and the other was a tech who had just been promoted into his position. The first guy was younger, and had no business being in his position to begin with. He was apparently a good technician, but that doesn't mean he was supervisor material. The guy hid all day long from his techs, and never helped any of us. He would park his truck and play on his phone. There is so much more I could go into detail about, but I doubt most people want to hear it all. Just overall, this place doesn't give a single care in the world about its technicians, and the lawsuits prove it.

Advice to Management

How about real training programs for supervisors, etc. Don't stick technicians into a supervisor role, because they had good numbers as a tech. Take into consideration what their resume says first. You can't stick an untrained person into a role supervising 12 other guys because he did well installing cable. It doesn't work. Also, change the motivational speeches at the morning meetings. There isn't a need to take out your own shortcomings on the techs. There are hundreds of variables in this field that can change how well techs perform, and what their numbers are. Different, or fair grading systems would help more than you small minded people can imagine. One last thing...before you send new technicians out to install cable, you ought to at least warn them about crawling under houses, and what safety precautions they should take. Then again, maybe the company ought to learn first. Previously I was a home inspector, and nobody ever said a word about wearing any PPE before crawling under a house. There is stuff in the soil from the 60's that was banned before some of these guys were even born, and it can kill people. The training programs for techs are a joke. It is just a crash course, because of the outrageously high turnover rate.

Cable, Phones, and Internet Technician

Current Employee - Communications Technician in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Technician in Stockton, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people and new places

Cons

Going into dirty houses were you cant even walk

11. Field Technician

Current Employee - Field Technician in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy what I do there. My Supervisor is very nice to me and all my colleagues and also we work well as a team.

Cons

OC Communications has exposed me to another level of technology where we use cables to connect our client services. The Technology is number one.

Advice to Management

I am proud of OC Communications

RSS Feed </> Embed