OC Communications

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
2.0

Craig Freeman

ok work depending on what you're looking for

I have been working at OC Communications

Pros

You get to learn a lot about cable installation, especially technical phone installations. Lots of bro camraderie among employees.

Cons

Low pay for hard work. It is kind of hard to track the way they pay you to make sure they're paying you properly for all your piecerate work and drivetime.

Asbestos is a big, downplayed concern. Lots of buildings have asbestos and you don't know very well if you're working around asbestos. They say that you should look for signage of asbestos or ask the maintenance guy but often you won't see the signage in such a huge building or the maintenance guy won't be available.

14 hrs/day 6 days/week for almost nothing

Current Employee - Communications Technician  in  Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Technician in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are homeless otherwise and have no other options then this is the job for you. Desperate for anything at all? Apply today. Like an abusive, childish, management team that bullies you and threatens your job every day? Apply today. Feel like your time it's worth pennies on the dollar? Apply today. Body warm? Apply today.

Cons

I am lied to constantly about pay. I'm bullied daily about numbers I don't care about. I'm treated like I'm less than human. We get paid so little for the things we do. The company has standardized how long things should take and decide to pay us literally pennies on the dollar the company charges customers $100 for something they only pay us $1. How I'm supposed to feed my kids? It's usually 14-16 hr days. None of us have the energy or time to keep up our houses or run errands or see family. When we call in sick we get bullied and harassed, asked personal questions, and threatened. Imagine mopping up human waste all day and and getting paid with a ham and cheese sandwich with no condiments. That's how I feel at the end of the day. They don't make it clear how we've been paid. They choose to not pay us for things and not tell us.

If you pay your work force well, you get quality work in a timely manner from happy employees. The management, ESPECIALLY at the Petaluma CA shop needs to be aware of their abhorrent practices. The company doesn't care about its employees at all. And makes us feel like our time is worth nothing. This was my dream job till I got it. Now it's my nightmare. That's not how to run a company. Bullying is not okay. Low pay and high hours is not okay. Six day work weeks are not okay.

Too many hours, too little pay

Former Employee - Cable Installer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cable Installer in Houston, TX

I worked at OC Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are not micro-managed.
    Honestly can't think of any other pros for this company.

Cons

One day a week off and that is Wednesdays.
    Easily work 12-15 hours a day for low pay.
    Poor training.
    I left after only 2 months of working here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible. Worst company I have ever been apart of!!!

Former Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at OC Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

I cant think of one good reason!!

Cons

Management sucks, its cut-throat, ever man for himself. No help from management. They lie and mistreat their employees. Very unorganized. Facilities are terrible, and they try to cheat you out of your money!! Gas money!!

Get a clue!! Treat others as you want to be treated. Those little power trips and ego bursts that you guys have is ridiculous. Im glad I don't work there anymore.

Working for O.C.Communications is NOT worth your time

Former Employee - Cable Installer  in  Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Cable Installer in Petaluma, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was paid every two weeks.

Cons

They didn't tell me I would pay for fuel and be repaid later. Long hours of 14 to 16 hour days or more six days a weeks. Driving long distance. Having to supply my own equipment or work with outdated equipment like heavy ladders. Workers went from an hourly wage ($10 up to $12) to $8. an hour.

Need to be forthright and professional. Shouldn't curse or disrespect workers. Shouldn't run company as if workers are expendable or are trapped wage slaves.

Low pay for HARD work!!

Current Employee - Communications Technician
    Current Employee - Communications Technician

I have been working at OC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a job.... Thats all.

Cons

Too much hard work for low pay and always rushing you! And if you take too long because you were stuck you get in trouble for supplemental pay. All homes are different!! Just let the techs do job and dont rush techs because it may cause an accident. Never have positive meetings. Always negative. No raise or growth. Very high turn around rate. Not a reliable job for long term. Will burn you out! No weekends off. GO!! GO!! GO!! Hurry!! Why taking so long??

Be a tech for a week or so... Youll see.

It's not good or bad

Former Employee - Communications Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Communications Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at OC Communications full-time

Pros

Get mobile, truck from company to use but return when resign.

Cons

Buy expensive equipment yourself!! You will need to pay for drilling machine, tools, etc At least you use your own money for $300+ Work long hours. Training no OT, no tip even you get but the trainer took it. Rush and Rush. Only $10 per hr.

Pay equipment fee to employee. Even scan criminal background, please pay only $6 for employee, not ask employee to pay! Pay hr to employee at least $12 per hr!!! compare to other company, OCC pay less!! More than that, one day should less order, not too much and too many hrs.

Semi-decent job if you don't mind having no life.

Current Employee - Communications Technician  in  Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Technician in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ranges from entry-level to experienced positions
    Usually Hiring
    Paid Training
    More pressure to do a good job than to meet a certain quota of jobs
    Company Vehicle, Company Phone, many company-provided tools.
    If you're looking for overtime, other than in winter you'll find plenty of it.

Cons

Forget about taking a lunch better pack to eat on the go. Be ready for 12-15 hour work days with no break.

Hard work for $10hr. You'll be climbing 30ft poles sometimes with wasp nests, crawling under peoples houses, troubleshooting computer/ip issues, and a very high level of careful customer service is required being in peoples homes. It's a lot for that low amount of pay.

They are misleading when you get hired. They tell you regularly you will have 2 days off a week this is a bold faced lie. I found maybe once a month we had 2 days off, other than that it was 6 days a week back to back. Wake up, work, go home, go to sleep, repeat.

Have fun dealing with lots of upset customers at you being late because management likes to book you 2 or 3 appointments for every appointment time window. Their advice is just call the customer beforehand to let them know

Think about more than the almighty dollar. Many of your employees are unhappy that's why turnover is ridiculously high. Now Hiring is on all of the trucks and it never comes off so obviously you are aware of this fact. Raise the hourly pay, weed out your weak employees, and stop working people like mindless robots. It wouldn't be hard to set up rotating shifts to ensure coverage 6 days a week but still have everyone get SOME 2 days off even if they weren't consecutive.

Yes, considering that other contractors for Comcast are awful, OC is not bad for a contractor in this case.

Former Employee - Technician  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at OC Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits OK; take company truck home is good; management kind of let you do
    your job in peace.

Cons

Work 6 days a week with one weekday off / long shifts/ Disrespectful Management in general/ poor communication/ reimburse gas but after you paid taxes (pump& paycheck)& lots of miles driven/ no raises in pay ( only when they start to lose techs)
    Tech with experience should be paid accordingly-this is a physical & technical trait/

Haha..it just rolls down the hill - disrespect rules in this field!!

This job is very horrible

Current Employee - Cable Installer  in  Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Installer in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at OC Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

the money but you wont have time to spend it working 6 days a week 12-14 hour days.

Cons

going into crawl spaces, hanging off telephone poles, working 6 days a week, 12-14 hour days with only 1 day off. management/comcast changing policies to make our jobs harder, like for example we couldnt do much in apartments but install equipment, now the big boss says we can... sometimes the person training you doesnt have time to show you everything so you are confused during training... customers yelling at you because comcast rips people off, or gets their work orders wrong and you have to get yelled at... summer time is really busy, you work hours will be 7am to 9pm- 11pm. Too much work, you wont have time to plan a day off or getting off early because your team will have to complete your jobs... If a customer complains about you, you will have it against you, and their solution, do more jobs so your percentage of complaints goes down.
    You wont have time to eat, They watch your work every hour, if you arent completing jobs, then they will talk to you about it.

give us 2 days off... working 12-14 hour days 6 days a week, 1 day off is not enough to rest.
    They are opening up another shop in concord, california, to extend their area, that means more people to hire and more people to fire and more people will quit. most of the employees have only been working there for less than a year, because people quit the job before they finish training.

Worked for OC Communications? Contribute to the Community!