OCS Group

1.5

OCS Group CEO Chris Cracknell
Chris Cracknell

Working for OCS at Airport

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at OCS Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a airport environment on a 4on 4 off roster was great, at first the management was brilliant then a few years back it took a turn. Everyday was a different day, so no two days was the same. Even though i worked for the same company for more than 10 years i have more negative than positives to say about the company. But besides the management i loved what i did and the people i worked with.

Cons

The department i worked in the Managers were:
    * they dont like our ideas, or listen to our needs even though it can make a job easier to do.
    * they like to throw weight about and show how macho they are when they cant even do the job right
    * they love paperwork, they dont like to reason
    * we get no backup when needed, infact we're always wrong when we're not with customers
    * they like to tell you not to do one thing but then expect you to do it
    * they can be very hostile and spend more time keeping upper management happy

a few examples:
    Yes coming into work late is wrong, but when your 3 minutes late and they have a counselling form ready for you to sign. Even worse they got a full day to get you to sign it but no they wait till the last minute before you go home to sign it. In relation to this then the admin deducts 30 mins off your wage cause you was 3 mins late. Funny enough when you stay back 3 mins.... 40 mins they dont even pay you overtime. Infact you dont even get a thank you.

Most times its busy but you cant expect staffs to run around for 9 to 12 hours and not have a break, i see enough staff who bring pack lunch into work and then to take it back home. Training can consist of minimal training, or that its based on unrealistic scenarios.

Equipment are bought based on whats on offer, most times the equipment given to us are of no use or just not right for the job. All they had to do is ask us, but more often than not they dont take ideas from the staff which can make the job easier or more efficient.

Company as a whole, money is fast to be deducted from wages, but any overtime or monies owed can be a long up hill climb. Its funny how wages can be short, as a example if i worked basic hours and didnt do any overtime, and i wasnt late or took any days off you'd expect my wage to be right....... well on more than one occasion they got it wrong.

Employ better quality staff
    Staff need proper training not whats provided, a lot times its just thrown into deep end
    Listen to staff more, they can have great ideas
    New technology doesnt always make things faster (where i worked it slowed it down half the speed) and two it makes certain positions more docile, lack of involvement and alienate them to staff.
    Managers should give more slack to staff (where i worked they always acted macho and know best when they dont)
    Preach what you say (telling us not to do one thing then expect us to do it)
    Staff need breaks otherwise they drop like flies, you cant expect em to run around 9 hours
    Very top heavy with managers

When i stared work there it was all about customer service, then a few years ago it all changed. This has all been thrown out the window, its more satisfy the airline.

Not a company with growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at OCS Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best thing about working there is lunch everyday and the students.

Cons

No management. No accountability other then the school.

Weed out the dead beats and replace them with people that work! Get a back-bone and manage not socialize.

Hostile atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at OCS Group

Pros

Dynamic environment with many opportunities for learning.

Cons

No organization, management, or leadership.

Need better management and more qualified people.

not happy!!

Current Employee - Cleaner in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at OCS Group

Pros

job was a good one

Cons

the supervisor was the worst she would shout at you across the building tell you off for no good reason, she worked the part timers like dogs and got us in the end doing full timers work while the supervisor and her pet would do nothing she would bully staff, and stand around drinking coffee and having cigarette breaks every half hour, while we had a job to have a glass of water and when someone would try to talk to the area manager they wouldnt want to know, she was getting a lot more money for doing nothing I have want to make a complaint due to me having to give my notice in because of her making my life hell at times I cannot believe they have people like that in charge of others as specially when I have seen white powder around one nostril twice when I first started, its the worst management skill I have seen and its all one word against another and she gets away with it I could go on !!!!

get rid of that supervisor and do regular drug tests, and answer your phones and emails and get back to people who have problems in the work place people should not be bullied and made to feel thar they should lose their job because they cant take no more

Wonderful job, pity about the company!!!

Current Employee - Airport Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Airport Care Assistant

I have been working at OCS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is fair to say that I have a job but I was toupe'd across when ocs won the contract, I did not have any option unless I was prepared to give up my job. I would not have CHOSEN ocs as my employer.

Cons

I work as an airport PRM Care Assistant. I have been doing the job for about 8 years although only the last 3 to 4 years with ocs. Initially due to management influenced history our workforce fell well short of what was expected and the equipment fell into a terrible state of repair from which it has never fully recovered. Despite a lot of begrudged finance the vehicles are still no way of a good standard and I doubt many would be legally roadworthy for a public road.. The company answer was to install more management. We shot up from 3 managers to 7 ( yes seven ). 4 line managers and 3 higher managers ALL controlled by a further inflexible and non-communicative area manager, that we rarely see, further up the line. Immediate line management (4) cannot " manage " properly because they do not have the time, they are far too busy filling in for the short falls in staffing and sickness of staff on the ramp, they have become highly paid care assistants hence minor controls, discipline lapses and continuing problems are not properly pursued and standards are vastly variable throughout the workforce. The higher management (3) are neither qualified or trained to fulfil our core company purpose of putting PRM's on or off aircraft using ambilifts or mini buses, yet continually criticise and subsequently demoralise the workforce culminating in a very unhealthy and festering mutual disrespect. They do not support the workforce, have blatant favourites, stoop to deviant work and advertising practises and favour airlines and money far more and to the detriment of everything including our PRM's. MAJOR fault, they do not communicate or listen to the workforce, instead they sit all day on their laptops in the office (not always with work related screens). Consultation, is another word for how a work problem WILL be solved or how a new working practise WILL be carried out. In short they stand as judge and jury on all disciplinary and work practises with no practical knowledge or skills to refer to on how a job is or should be done. Hardly a recipe for working harmony !!!

Wake up and smell the coffee!!! Your philosophy of one size fits all just does not work at our airport. No system will work without respect from both sides. Employ managers that lead from the FRONT, who learn and qualify for all aspects of the company purpose. Install systems that positively enforce communication, inspiration, total support and respect for the workforce. Zero hour contracts are not the way forward. If you want loyalty, hard work and a continual faith in the company you need to invest in people and give out decent contracts that have some noticeable substance. You are in charge of the best job in the airport, help us to be proud of that. It is far too easy to deteriorate and loose more of our self respect than we already have. Employ people/management who will aid accent back to and beyond the expected level

Awful company (if no stars were an option I would have used it)

I worked at OCS Group

Pros

There is only one... I have left the business and now remember what it is to be valued.

Cons

HR dept do not offer any support
    Management is poorly led and non supportive
    Withhold wages when it suits
    Good ideas ignored on a regular basis
    Harassment of staff

Resign

Awful

I worked at OCS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Too many to mention. No work life balance appreciation.
    Some directors have no emotional intelligence and no respect for employees down the career ladder.
    No career planning possible.

Get rid. Realise that you can not expect the impossible to be delivered for nothing in an instant. Quality takes investment in time and money............

Awful company. Awful managers. Bullies

Former Employee - Manager in Gaydon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Gaydon, England (UK)

I worked at OCS Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get £2.50 food allowance. But the cheapest item is normally £2.50

Cons

No support. Poor inexperienced hygiene managers. Good at back stabbing

Get some decent experienced managers in. A male would help. Catering staff running hygiene contracts.

Not valued by the company

Former Employee - Security Officer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at OCS Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly rate for some sites is quite good.

Cons

No training . Very much left to it. No further training courses provided even though I asked many times. I worked for O C S for just over a year. Still never got my company Id card which I had been photographed for on my first day. Office staff are incompetent and scruffy. Afraid most of the staff are also night supervisor had a personal hygiene issue, which I heard he had been warned about . several times. If I was choosing a security company for my business OCS Aberdeen would be last on my list.

Stop the zero hours contracts. Staff don't feel valued very much feel like a number. Office is scruffy and disorganised very much like the people in it. Smarten up

Poor

I have been working at OCS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are really none I can think of worst company I've ever worked for

Cons

Poor line management no support