OCZ Storage Solutions Reviews

2.3
Ralph Schmitt

1. Rollercoaster to the unknown

I have been working at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time

Pros

Lots of work to do. Lots of hats to fill. Great for developing yourself as a generalist. Some good management, among bad management. I've seen a bit of everything here.

Cons

Understaffed, historically undervalued employees (seems to be improving now), seeing decisions that make you wonder what people were thinking, seeing too many clueless employees, cleaning up other peoples messes time and time again.

Advice to Management

Find the value within the company and keep it. I've seen many great employees move on to pursue greater endeavors. Notice the honest and realistic achievers in the company and reward them. I **sometimes** feel that words and promises are treated greater than accomplishments.

After working here for two years... future is getting brighter...

Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Location - SSD Market is projected to growth expected to $20 billion in 2016, so in the right space - Nice people, fun events to keep morale positive - Flexible between work and family life

Cons

- Pay isn't the greatest to attract quality people - OCZ from the past still creeps up and bite us on the butt - Compensation is average, pay people more to keep/attract talent

Advice to Management

- Certain people are underpaid for what they do. Titles sometimes does not fit the job they are performing. - Start sharing your vision with employees & deliver on quality products. We are in an industry where developing quality products quickly is a must. We fail to often and miss windows of opportunity too often. To be a relevant player in this space we have to be quick and nimble, we aren't.

3. Lot's of work but great collaboration between certain teams

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in the marketing team for over 6 years and though the company has had both ups and downs the reason that I have stayed here is primarily two reasons. First, I enjoy being able to create materials and help market consumer products. I very much like seeing my work appear on product packaging or in an ad, and take pride in seeing our products on retail store shelves. The second reason that I have stayed at the company so long is that I love working with my manager and teammates both here at corporate as well as the global team. There is a strong working relationship between sales and marketing and I feel like we are on the same team. The ability to see our ideas transform into tangible assets is awesome and I enjoy the collaborative environment in the global marketing org.

Cons

The company used to be very fast moving when it came from a product perspective. OCZ was always about leading edge products and time to market. While I really like the new emphasis on product quality I do think that the company as a whole needs to get back to the same level of innovation and urgency that it used to have.

Advice to Management

Find a way to harness all the work done on quality and at the same time bring back the innovation so that we can deliver class leading products for enthusiasts again.

Work Hard, Play Hard

I have been working at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are what make working at OCZ a pleasure. For the most part individuals understand what is needed to succeed in our market, and we hold each other accountable. Management recognizes efforts, and rewards accordingly. There is an open door policy where you can have frank and open conversations with management. Reverse commute is great, so never stuck in traffic.

Cons

Workload is heavy, and in some departments woefully under resourced. This leads to more reprioritization, rather than more parallelism.

Advice to Management

We need to continue cutting underperformers, and those that bring excuses and not solutions, or suggestions on improvement. Continue to reward and advance the workhorses of the organization, so that they may be examples to the rest of the organization.

Not For The Feint of Heart

I worked at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time

Pros

Great vision, desire, work ethic

Cons

Poor execution, can be hostile and contentious

7. Don't do it unless you have to

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good development structure, albeit archaic at the best. Mostly good hardworking people.

Cons

Need to get rid of some of the executive management. CEO rules by fear. No incentive to do better faster. Archaic tools - still relies on hand signatures. Leftovers from Cypress Semiconductors.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO, he's not the right one. He needs to be an influential leader. Invest in automation tools. Invest in valuable employees and get rid of the dead weight.

8. Awful management

I have been working at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promising SSD market, Toshiba ownership could change senior and middle management team, tolerable location

Cons

No revenue growth in recent quarter, outdated technology, incompetent management with poor reputation across marketplace, extreme workload with underpayment and pressure, serious hiring issues

Advice to Management

The corporate bot who is writting positive reviews here does not solve OCZ problem with management

Management

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company seemed promising at first. Location is good

Cons

-Worst work experience. -Mgr does not know what he wants from you. -Unclear and unrealistic expectations. -Cheap company (In reference to investing money on infrastructure or doing anything extra)

Advice to Management

Dont hire new employees - spare them

Cautious !!

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

-Location is south San Jose, which is against the traffic if you live anywhere north.

Cons

-Well this is the worst places I have ever worked at. -Frequent changes in managements- almost every 4 to 5 months- changes everything downstream -Company is not getting enough funds from Parent company Toshiba. Toshiba does not trust them and provide them limited funding. -After I joined on a decent pay in 2012, my manager would tell me in every other meeting that my pay was high compared to other in his team. Really? (Not sure why did they hire me then? dint they knew from before) -Management and VPs lie to you, big lairs -Higher Management themselves are unstable, dont know what they are doing, no direction, how can they guarantee stability to their employees -No department is in sync with other. Sales does not know what marketing does. Marketing does not know what operation does. -Please note that company operates on Quarter to Quarter basis, and so does the layoffs. Highy unstable -HR is the worst i have seen. they just like playing Bingo in company parties if their are any. -Company has no money. Even small expenses like 50 dollars go through approval processes involving VP (Very Cheap Company) -Only employees who are stuck to company are the ones that have been here for decades and the ones who are scared of moving out. Advice to current employee: Get out of here and find other job to see how other companies have to offer in real. (Let the idiots do what they want to do) I have moved out in 2014 to another company and I am so much happy, not because I have a new job , but for the fact that I no more work at OCZ

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management- Hopeless HR - Hopeless

Beware of fake reviews

I worked at OCZ Storage Solutions full-time

Pros

You will truly appreciate your next employer after working at OCZ. Some perks are provided to compensate for poor leadership from senior management.

Cons

Old technology, hostile corporate culture, flooded with office politics and even crimes, after the bankruptcy all toxic managers stayed in the company. Also take into considerations fake employer reviews that starting appearing since January 2014 and are easy to spot: 1. 5 stars (rarely 4) for everything. 2. Superlative wording like in cheap ad from 1980s. 3. No criticism, especially, of senior management. 4. Mantras of growth and prospects.

Advice to Management

Don't be fake, and do your job well

RSS Feed </> Embed