OHSU
www.ohsu.edu Portland, OR 5000+ Employees

OHSU Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
OHSU – Portland – “Farmers Market on campus during the summer”

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.

Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good benefits and good work environment"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Unless you're making a high salary, you're not driving to work"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful

ProsI have a good boss

ConsI don't get paid very much

Okay place to work if you are not ambitious

Portland, OR

ProsLow intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable

ConsNot for high performers, poor management/leadership, very insular and antiquated ways of thinking

Advice to Senior Managementbring in fresh blood from outside for key leadership positions to diversify the deeply ingrained, insular perspectives.

Creative Web Development opportunities very limited

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsOriginally I had a full-time position and left it to take an hourly temporary position. I sacrificed longer-term stability, benefits and job security for flexibility... but gained ultimately flexibility including the ability to telecommute (work from home or almost anywhere with internet access).

ConsAs a temporary hourly employee, sometimes I don't get work for months. Obviously this can be rough and requires me to get other work or be able to manage a grossly fluctuating income. Before 2014 it also meant being responsible for my own health care coverage. In terms of the work itself, I am under-utilized and unsure of how to get more work, and/or more creative work, within OHSU.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

job advancement

Lab Assistant (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsNice are to live and work environment

Consdifficult to commute to work, too expensive parking, no parking compensation

Advice to Senior Managementvery low visibility for advancement for lower level job employees

Large institution focused on health and advancement of their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGood resources, free programs for employee health, positive work environment

ConsLarge place so departments don't talk to each other, redundancy, paperwork takes a long time to process sometimes

Great place to work, yet limited ambition

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe pay and benefits were great, people were really nice. I loved my managers! It was an organized place to work.

ConsIt is difficult to move up because it is based on seniority. The price for parking was awful, but fortunately they gave a small stipend for biking.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that if you see promise in someone, that you can allow them to grow. It will keep your strongest employees around longer!

Difficult place for a non-medical professional

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsExcellent compensation, education opportunities, great infrastructure

ConsMay be "innovative" on the medical side (never worked at another hospital), but from what I saw, doctors and nurses were very reluctant to adopt new technologies on the administrative side. Poor training for managers and worked for very few good ones while there. HR is a robotic nightmare who take the manager's side in most conflicts. Union-busting/degredation is a pleasurable pastime for HR/Legal departments. Executive leadership is calcified, consultant depdendent and don't seem to know what's going on below their ivory towers. This is a giant organization-quit trying to get larger. Get good at what's already there. Quit ghetto-izing central services. Enough with the constant budget-scolding and every four year staff reductions. Ditch the outside consultants and gimmicky six sigma-esque programs. Spend the millions on training front line staff and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach all managers management. Assume they know nothing. Force them to meet one on one with employees often, if not weekly. They spend so much time in pointless meeting hashing over the same nonsense for years at a time that they don't know what's happening or are in crisis management more than day to day management. Do exit interviews.

Post doc benefits at OHSU

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGood environment with public safety

ConsWorst health insurance for Postdocs

Advice to Senior ManagementPostdocs are not slaves

Great scientific community, many problems integrating research and clinical staff.

ProsSome of the most cutting edge medical research in the world is happening here, led by great minds in all types of fields.

ConsThere is a lot of wasted time and energy in HR/etc. departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy personal manager is great, but there is a hardcore one size fits all approach to staff management that makes no sense with the way the university is set up.

OHSU is an okay place to work, but there are some problems.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe work going on at OHSU is exciting and there are many features that are only available because OHSU is the main institution for the Oregon National research Primate center. If you work at the ONRPC, there is plenty of free parking and the traffic is not that bad.

ConsThe pay at OHSU is only given at the NIH standard for post-doctoral fellows. Also the medical insurance coverage is very restrictive with limited options and high costs.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OHSU reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OHSU CEO Joseph Robertson Jr. All 128 reviews posted anonymously by OHSU employees.