OHSU Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
128 reviews filtered by
  • Portland, OR
3.7
OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

1. OHSU is a good employer and servant of the region.

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth as well as a leading employer in the region.

Cons

Many salaries lower than community as an academic institution.

Advice to Management

Seek to reward employees for success while maintaining budgets.

2. Meh. Shiny exterior, old-fashioned interior.

Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OHSU has great name recognition as one of the largest employers in the Portland Metro Area. It's an interesting and beautiful work environment -- particularly working on the Hill and surrounding locations. Although I'd never go back there, I feel my career has benefitted by having OHSU on my resume. I sought out and got to work with a handful of amazing people that I learned a lot from.

Cons

The organization does not come close to the shiny, innovative, cutting edge appearance that it displays to the outside world. Inside, it's an old fashioned, stunted bureaucracy of siloes with many people punching the clock for a paycheck. It's not terrible, it's just mediocre and humdrum without much concern for changing. The unionized environment is what it is, but I saw nearly no evidence that the unions directly made a better work experience for employees -- instead fueling animosity, skepticism, and ugly spin that seemed to serve the union more than the employees.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more, lighten up, try to have real relationships even though some employees are "represented." Work to include yourself more as an employee of OHSU, rather than a "Manager" as if it's something better/more than.

3. Was a temp for the business services department

Former Contractor - Document Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Document Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great supervisor. I was filling in for a person on medical leave, and the rest of the team seemed really supportive of this person, hoping that they'd soon return.

Cons

The job itself was a lot of filing, etc., which wasn't too exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. Registered Nurse Medicine Unit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nurse to patient ratio always stays within limits, mostly nurses are competent and friendly. A full time RN has to commit to work three days on a weekend in a month instead of typical four days.

Cons

Chain of command is not followed, management does not follow a clear set of orders to apply to all staff therefore new employees are being left out, rules and regulations are not clear every person has their own different story about procedure. Management is not very professional and relies on he says she says basis when reprimanding.

Advice to Management

Manager should give clear cut instruction to an employee if the standard nursing care is not provided. There should be a system to give verbal and written warning instead of firing someone right away. A manager should go over skills list that an employee is required to fill out on their first day to provide training on skills that one does not have or lacked at the previous job. Management should develop a chain of command where given roles actually perform their duties. Management should be responsible for providing environment where one can grow and learn.

6. Procurement for hospital.

Current Employee - Na in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Na in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Jon security, clear duties, no required over time.

Cons

Limited budgets means understaffing high workloads.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the best you can with what your provided.

7. Wonderful environment for high quality clinical education

Current Employee - Medical Fellow in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Medical Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Camaraderie is excellent among the faculty, fellows and residents. The faculty at OHSU is exceedingly supportive and people are happy working here. It is a great research institute, offering excellent clinical education in a collegial atmosphere.

Cons

Convincing my family to move to Portland

8. Not welcoming for basic research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Living in Portland is great
    Great public transit benefit
    Although not ethnically/racially diverse (because Portland is fundamentally white), it is socially diverse
    Send out notices often about changes going on in the university

Cons

Although not explicitly stated, they are downsizing basic research, focusing more on applied medical research (they call it "increasing efficiencies"). For this reason, many basic research labs are leaving or closing, as the policies implemented make labs and departments pay more for University services than they used to (i.e. pay rent for conference rooms or regular cleaning of floors), funding is scarcer, and PI's get restrictions on their lab space as soon as an RO1 does not go up for renewal (at least in some departments).
    There is only a budding post-doc association, which is to be commended for their efforts in improving post-doc life.
    They are very fishy about the salary for post-docs. They only advertise the NIH recommended levels, but I know we don't get paid that, and I don't know how are salary increases are calculated (again, not as per NIH standards).
    In general, and this is my impression and not necessarily a shared one, is that they talk a big talk, but when it comes down to it, they view employees as worker bees. They get away with it because people like living in Portland.
    Benefits are not very good for post-docs, but that might be the case in most institutions. I don't know how it is for regular employees.
    CUlture and values is rated poorly before, not because of the people (I think there is a great culture here) but because the values stated by the institution are one thing, but the reality is another.

Advice to Management

OHSU has a great workforce of individuals, where people take pride for working at OHSU and work hard because of that pride. However, with many people that I talk to (and this might be because I talk to like-minded people), there is a sense of OHSU exploiting them. I don't really have any advice on how to deal with this, and maybe it is not of real concern to the higher ups as long as work gets done. However, I associate this kind of attitude with a commercial setting, rather than an academic one, and therefore OHSU might need to be more explicit about its expectations and goals (with clear examples rather than flowery words like "integration", "diversity", "creativity", etc.

9. Ok benefits, ok pay, ok management.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wage for administrative support positions is better than most places in town. Benefits are good. Union representation ensures a greater degree of job stability.

Cons

Location: OHSU takes a while to get to on public transit; parking on campus is extremely limited (several year wait list) and what parking they have is very expensive if you work in support ($125/month is usual).
    The wage is better than most places in town, but it is still below the median for the nation, whereas the cost of living is several percentage points higher. For clerical positions represented by the union, OHSu pays most of the cost of insurance premiums for the employee. They will on pay part of the cost for a spouse and, if you work part-time, they pro-rate the cost of the benefits so you will pay more while earning less. Also, the union (AFSCME) seems to do little in the way of actually improving conditions for employees. If you run into trouble and want their help, you have to pay an additional fee to be a 'fair share member.' Otherwise, they won't return your calls.
    OHSU lays off staff regularly 'in anticipation' of budget shortfalls. I've been laid of twice since I started there.
    In general, leadership does not want a clerical union. Physicians and researchers do not want to hire sufficient staff to complete the workload in their functional areas. Also, it should be noted that the physicians and researchers at OHSU are generally extremely egoistic and not terribly kind to those who are not their peers. This is accepted as 'usual' at the institution.

Advice to Management

Kindness takes as much effort as cruelty. There's no good reason for the atmosphere at OHSU to be so hostile when it comes to support staff.

10. Very autonomous labs working largely on physiologicy

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge number of resources with faculty members who are very well established and experts at what they do. The emphasis of research is largely on physiology and what seems to be, translational research.

Cons

Situated in a part of Portland that us distant from the human race. The research questions, while being diverse, are too focussed on translational science focussed making it a but of a bore for those interested in more of a basic science research,

Advice to Management

More effort should be invested to facilitate networking and collaborative research as well as career workshops/counselling for those seeking to step outside of academia.

11. I was a postdoc in genetics--it was great.

Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of new skills in the cancer sequencing field.

Cons

Postdocs have salaries set by the NIH, no retirement, and only 2 weeks of vacation.

Advice to Management

Needs paid maternity leave like the grad students have.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo