OHSU
www.ohsu.edu Portland, OR 5000+ Employees

OHSU Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Jul 2, 2014
OHSU – Portland – “Farmers Market on campus during the summer”

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.

Joseph Robertson Jr.

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Takes care if their employees, but still a bureaucracy

Room Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe work was rewarding, many of my co-workers were passionate, hard-working people. OHSU provides great benefits, designed to make it very possible to gain skills, and increase your prospects while employed. Further, the mission statement and policies have no-tolerance harassment and completely inclusive of family members and partners (before the law caught up).
     Once you have a job here, even at the bottom of the totem pole, it is very possible to work your way up, and get an education while working. It will take time.

ConsMiddle management can be condescending, or sticklers for unimportant (non performance related) details. However, in any entry level position that will be true, and the benefits and great policies overall make up for it.

Great place to start a career

Research Assistant I (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat people who are active in many areas of their life. Culture is great. People have a genuine interest to get to know each other.

ConsPay is generally low and it is almost impossible to make a career change within the company. Note:former employee. Had to leave because I couldn't find a position within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp current employees interested in exploring other career opportunities within the company.

Lack of organization and leadership

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Pros• OHSU has a great reputation in the Portland area (for the most part), so finding a similar job at another institution will be easier
    • Great medical benefits
    • Great work/life balance
    • My department was very flexible with work times (can come in whenever and leave 8 hours later)
    • Actual job duties were fun and challenging

Cons• Since OHSU is the largest employer in Portland (with nearly 14,000 employees) it is difficult to keep the company organized
    • Everyone wants to seem important. Higher education is heavily coveted
    • Low pay compared to similar positions at other companies/institutions
    • High turnover
    • Minimal/no space for advancement
    • Minimal respect for your co workers. I can't count how many meetings I've been to where people literally scream at one another. Unprofessional and creates a tense working environment
    • An incredible amount of gossiping amongst workers. Creates an unfriendly and distrusting office environment
    • Management is constantly changing and there is no direction or order. Makes it difficult to perform your tasks efficiently
    • Parking is ridiculous. Parking outside my building is $180 a month
    • Not a good place to work if you are uncomfortable with animal testing

Advice to Senior Management• Value current employees
    • Keep a positive, organized work environment for your employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mess

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe tram is pretty and fun.

ConsManagement is less than stellar. Impossible to advance.

Great place for me at the time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsI worked part time and still had benefits. Everyone in my small group were very supportive, friendly, and helpful. Hours were flexible.

ConsLack of parking meant having to commute to work every day. Other than that, everything was quite positive.

Technician that loves his job

Technician (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsPeople are friendly and easy to work with.

ConsParking. Hospital being on a hill makes parking very limited. TRIMET buses do run frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Great employer

Administration (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines.

ConsGenerally a slow commute to the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers are giving positive feedback to employees along with adverse feedback.

Quality PI=Quality Job

Research Assistant II (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsIf you have a good PI or Post-Doc, you will likely find yourself with more independence and responsibility in the lab.

ConsRetirement provider could be better, and orientation is heavily focused at the medical mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude some directions of day to day operations, such as phone use and who to call for outside services.

Creative Web Development opportunities very limited

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsOriginally I had a full-time position and left it to take an hourly temporary position. I sacrificed longer-term stability, benefits and job security for flexibility... but gained ultimately flexibility including the ability to telecommute (work from home or almost anywhere with internet access).

ConsAs a temporary hourly employee, sometimes I don't get work for months. Obviously this can be rough and requires me to get other work or be able to manage a grossly fluctuating income. Before 2014 it also meant being responsible for my own health care coverage. In terms of the work itself, I am under-utilized and unsure of how to get more work, and/or more creative work, within OHSU.

Okay place to work if you are not ambitious

Portland, OR

ProsLow intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable

ConsNot for high performers, poor management/leadership, very insular and antiquated ways of thinking

Advice to Senior Managementbring in fresh blood from outside for key leadership positions to diversify the deeply ingrained, insular perspectives.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OHSU reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OHSU CEO Joseph Robertson Jr. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by OHSU employees.