OHSU

OHSU Reviews

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 16 reviews)

• Low intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't.

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great and really the only lure. If you just want to collect a paycheck, neglect your family/personal life and work off the clock to keep up with your workload then this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

If you demonstrate any desire for career growth you will be eaten alive. Management is not supportive of career growth. They will respond as if you're out to take their job and you WILL become their target.
    It is a union shop. Pay into it all you want but when it comes time for support they run because the work and effort needed to finish your request is too hard.
    Human resources is a joke. There is nothing human about exploiting the employees and nothing is truly confidential because they are the same people talking to your neighbor on the bus about the goings on at work.
    Access to basic office supplies will depend on which department you work for. The closer to the Knight cancer research you are the more likely you will not be questioned about ordering pens and post its for your desk and it will be less likely that you will have to do your own housekeeping. That is right, you might have to empty your own trash, put in *several* requests for very basic bathroom facilities cleaning because that is not done on a regular basis. Regular cleaning is just done in restrooms deemed 'public', sharing a bathroom with 50 plus colleagues is not considered public enough to warrant daily custodial services. That is not just during the 'tight' times, it is part of the culture.
    The distribution of resources for just the basic of necessary work equipment is laughable. You may have to beg for a monitor that doesn't short out while a colleague has a closest full of extra computers, iPads, and other digital equipment that they don't use, some of it in original packaging.
    Working through your lunch is the norm because that is when everyone is 'free' for meetings, but don't think that as an hourly you get that time accounted for. Working off the clock is the status quo and ignored by all. It has become an ingrained part of the culture. Managers are aware and turn a blind eye, especially when they need something after hours. There is an expectation to be on call 24/7, yes even for hourly admin assistants. Don't you dare account for that time either. You will be written up, after all they have a payroll budget to stick to and that would just make your manager look bad.
    Need IT support? Better Google your problem first, after all that is what IT will direct you to do when you call the help line.
    There are so many things wrong with the org chart and accountability structure.
    Parking? I waited SEVEN years for the privilege to pay almost $200 a month to park my car.
    Retirement? If you dare select the wrong plan you will pay out of pocket while your coworkers don't.
    Healthcare benefits? The latest plan forces you to choose your doctor at OHSU or pay an exorbitant fee to continue with the doctor you have had for 12 years. So guess who your coworkers on public transportation will be talking about while you wait those years for your parking permit?
    U is for university and just like in the acronym the university is last in the mind of management. The complete disregard for students is shameful. Last minute changes to a program mid academic year is the norm. Dont worry, they will have the ear of the administration but be prepared to be called up on professionalism conduct charges.
    Don't ever feel safe, the threat of reorg to rid of you is always a vocalized threat.

It is your staff doing the work to make you look good. A simple acknowledgement of the work done by them will get you farther but does not curtail the fact that your expectations are unreasonable.
    Face the fact that you are just as disposable to the university as you treat the rest of us.

Don't work there.

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience if you need to start out. Start out with 4 weeks of vacation. I retired from there under PERS.

Cons

Poor HR, no parking, low pay. Poor treatment of Veterans. Salary does not grow with inflation or anything else. RN's with same experience make more than the NP's. 12 hour shifts are too long in a health care field.

Post Doctoral Fellowship

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time

Pros

I met 8 members of the department and they were friendly and asked open questions. They encouraged team work.

Cons

The possible PI told that he was going to set a date for me to give a talk to his group and meet with him after a 2 days of series of interviews, but he never got back to me. Tried to email him a couple of time but he did not return/respond to my emails.

That was unprofessional and it is so sad the the possible PI is has one of the highest positions at OHSU....did not expect that from him.

great company for laid back people

Former Employee - Field Technology Analyst
    Former Employee - Field Technology Analyst

I worked at OHSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefit
    Pay well
    Union protection
    If you are a laid back person or waiting for retire, I say this is a great company to work for.

Cons

career promotion is limited
    lots of politics involved
    If you are looking for great career opportunities, this is definitely not a place you want to work at. Was told by the manager that the flow for new position is slow and due to the great benefit, no one would want to retire.

Be honest to your new hire. Dont tell them there are lots of career opportunities and after they finished their probation, then told them they have to wait years to change to another group.

Poor management and HR department

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really good researchers and good teachers within the residency programs.

Cons

Unfortunately OHSU is run like a fiefdom, and even within departments where there is a clinical side and an education element, they are at odds, as everything is driven by the clinical dollars, with education getting a shoddy second place. The institution is way too top heavy with administrators who are inflexible and lack any vision other than whatever their excel spreadsheet shows them for the monthly revenue. There tends to be a lot of lip service, but the institution only gets behind any research initiative after it has received plenty grants and outside kudos.
    The investment the institution makes in any real career development is practically nil. For years, their Career Development Center was made up of one person, who had only part-time administrative help.

People are not just widgets and numbers on a spreadsheet.

They expect people to "volunteer" or work for free, and there for the wages are grossly inadequate.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Benefit package, interactions with other like minded colleagues

Cons

Grossly underpaid positions, lack of respect for students and residents who pay to be there and learn (has affected how much grads want to give back once they leave), Many people in their 70's who either volunteer or work for a very low wage, which leads to the expectations you will be hired for pennies on the dollar when you have over 11 years of education....

Step into the 20th century and pay at least the market rate for work provided. Hire enough people to do the job right, and not expect so many people to do three or four other peoples work for very little pay. (This mostly applies to SOD)

Politics First, People second

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at OHSU

Pros

There is a good benefit package and many areas to gain experience in.

Cons

OHSU works on the "Politics First" rules. Hiring, firing, contracts, promotions, etc... are all based on who you know rather than how good you are or if you will save OHSU money. Positions posted most likely have been filled, so applying is a waste of time. Interviews may also be fake since some departments make the hiring manager interview 3 people even if they know who they will hire.

The "who you know rather than what you know" system must end.

Good place to work

I worked at OHSU

Pros

Decent work-life balance, the work itself is exciting.

Cons

pay is low, limited personal growth

Hospital is great but research side needs to get more professional

Don't believe they care about you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reduced rates on a Metro transportation pass, if you can find time to use it.

Cons

Crowded offices with no air or light.
    HR techies need to wear a tie.
    Training Department (Operational Effectiveness) Not ready to hear criticism or allow different perspectives.
    Very impersonal treatment

Consider that I was told I was the top candidate, and that they really wanted my experience and opinion when I was hired....

My manager acted sweet, but put off my monthly one on one check in for over three months. I only had one performance check in with her after almost 4 months, the next time she told me I was being let go. Meanwhile I was asking for tasks to do for two plus months after they hired me, then told not to jump in to work on the new system I was supposed to be learning and testing, and all the while I was saying the vendor wanted us to get into the system. Then I was told I was being reluctant to get into the new system, when my senior colleague and manager had been telling me not to mess with it.

Also the manager and I agreed on my flex schedule and the parameters for it, then she lied or "forgot" that we had done that, and used that as a reason for my being being released. No attempt was made to communicate a concern and then follow up and see if it was fixed (it was).

I gave up a lot to take on this job, it only would have taken some communication and courtesy to have handled it all better, but there's no excuse for management to be so absent and such impersonal treatment.

Consolidation of power drives systematic exploitation of employees, students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OHSU may be a fine place to work within the "missions" -- patient care or research. Even elsewhere, within administration and central services, the pay can be good.

Cons

Within administration and central services, the name of the game is exploiting employees and students -- through rackets in benefits, parking, etc. -- to add a few extra bucks to OHSU's massive and massively increasing bottom line. Two executives now reign at a level that just a few years ago included nearly a dozen. These two have consolidated power and neutralized checks and balances. Go ahead and pledge your fealty to them if you have no problem lying and facilitating theft en masse from your colleagues.

OHSU's workforce is among the most highly educated anywhere. Do you really think they won't grasp what you are doing? Do you really think you can outrun the consequences, which at minimum will include "brain drain" (the departure of people crucial to future advancements such as the curing of cancers, for which OHSU recently took $200 million from the people of Oregon).

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo