OHSU Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
3.7

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Very complex work environment, which makes learning more interesting than at a smaller healthcare organization; wonderful people; very smart senior leaders; positive work environment

Cons

A lot of information does not trickle down to lower level employees or front line staff--senior leaders need to be more transparent and visible; parking is expensive, IF you can get a spot on the hill at all!

Great Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU

Pros

Benefits,career advancement and changes easily possible

Cons

slightly less pay than other hospitals in area

good job

Pleasant place to work, but parking is horrible on the hill.

Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU

Pros

This varies widely depending on where you work and what capacity you work in within the hospital. I worked in research and enjoyed it. Fortunately I worked with great people. Also, I enjoyed the food options there and the campus is beautiful during the warmer months.

Cons

Unless you are there 5+ years, good luck getting a parking pass. If you drive, want to park at work and are relatively new there you will need to fork $10 a day to park on the hill. I spent a fortune working there for a year. Charging employees the same high rate as anyone else is very unfortunate.

Make parking more realistic for employees who do not want to take the bus.

Great leaning opportunity with visible upward mobility but wish there was more training for managers

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a wonderful opportunity to network with professionals in the community and at the University. The donors and alumni are truly passionate about the cause and the next generation of students. The company is on the rise with their new Knight Cancer Campaign and they really do try to look within the company first to fill positions. A great place to work if you are interested in fundraising and event planning. So many of the people that work there are just delightful to work along side, especially those who are in administrative and assistant/associate directing positions.

Cons

There isn't enough training and continued development for managers. There's a high turnover rate and burn out rate for administrative assistants. The voices of those who support aren't always heard or showed that they are valued. Everyone is very dedicated to the cause there but The flip side of this is that there is tunnel vision on only the end result. Understanding the importance of empowering everyone on a team can be overlooked. When everyone feels valued, acknowledged and challenged in a way that is meaningful for them, the team (and for that matter the company) can thrive. Their evaluation system is wonky as well. It doesn't appropriately capture the work that individuals do and sets employees up to be graded as mediocre.

Outstanding Place to Work!

Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the values, benefits, and environment. Lots of opportunity to excel and learn new skills. Especially appreciated the discounted Tri-Met pass.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Remember the little guy is who makes your job easier. Communicate your intent to them and listen actively to their input.

Working with beautiful view and weather and less stress

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am working here as a full time graduate student. I think the most good thing here is environment.
    The city is generally safe, weather is mild and people is generous. As a graduate student I can enjoy my academic study balancing with family affair with less stress.

Cons

As a student, insurance is really poor in contrast to normal employee.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at OHSU. I worked with great, smart people; received competitive benefits; and felt like I was a part of something meaningful.

Cons

Parking (but they highly subsidize bus passes)

Great post-doc benefits and career support

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expert colleagues who are collaborative. Support resources available frequently.

Cons

Not many other research institutions nearby.

Better postdoc benefits (retirement plans, life insurance)

Outstanding medical benefits package, but the size of the institution brings both perks and red tape.

Current Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks including discounts at various Portland businesses, a practically free bus pass, great medical insurance starting at no cost out of your pocket... and more importantly, they genuinely prioritize internal hires, so lateral as well as upward movement are anticipated, encouraged, and very common.

Cons

Can be challenging if you're a problem solver/forward thinker in a low to mid-level position. You get the sense that you have your role, and your job is to fulfill it-- "out of the box" thinking, or interest in pursuing opportunities beyond your defined position are pretty obviously blown off with a "Thanks for your feedback, I'll look into it," or a "well, that's really something that is handled more by the _____ department."

It's difficult because every manager is under another manager/department head/director/etc. in such a large institution, so it can feel like you never know who really has the power, and everyone seems to blame the tier above them. Take some personal responsibility for your decisions/changes, or better yet, use your middle-managers to communicate with the work force and help them feel like they are part of the decisions that affect them.

Beautiful place to work. Smart people. Hard to get ahead. Low pay.

Current Employee - Research in Marquam Hill, OR
    Current Employee - Research in Marquam Hill, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like the NW, working at OHSU is heaven. On top of a hill overlooking scenic Portland, you can't beat it! People care about their work here and love meeting new faces.

Cons

It's very difficult to get a job here none the less move up the latter. The pay for lower-mid level positions is not competitive.

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo