OHSU Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU

Pros

Benefits,career advancement and changes easily possible

Cons

slightly less pay than other hospitals in area

good job

Pleasant place to work, but parking is horrible on the hill.

Former Employee - Research Assistant II  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU

Pros

This varies widely depending on where you work and what capacity you work in within the hospital. I worked in research and enjoyed it. Fortunately I worked with great people. Also, I enjoyed the food options there and the campus is beautiful during the warmer months.

Cons

Unless you are there 5+ years, good luck getting a parking pass. If you drive, want to park at work and are relatively new there you will need to fork $10 a day to park on the hill. I spent a fortune working there for a year. Charging employees the same high rate as anyone else is very unfortunate.

Make parking more realistic for employees who do not want to take the bus.

Outstanding Place to Work!

Current Employee - Public Service Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Public Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the values, benefits, and environment. Lots of opportunity to excel and learn new skills. Especially appreciated the discounted Tri-Met pass.

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Remember the little guy is who makes your job easier. Communicate your intent to them and listen actively to their input.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with beautiful view and weather and less stress

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am working here as a full time graduate student. I think the most good thing here is environment.
    The city is generally safe, weather is mild and people is generous. As a graduate student I can enjoy my academic study balancing with family affair with less stress.

Cons

As a student, insurance is really poor in contrast to normal employee.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant I  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working at OHSU. I worked with great, smart people; received competitive benefits; and felt like I was a part of something meaningful.

Cons

Parking (but they highly subsidize bus passes)

Great post-doc benefits and career support

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Expert colleagues who are collaborative. Support resources available frequently.

Cons

Not many other research institutions nearby.

Better postdoc benefits (retirement plans, life insurance)

Outstanding medical benefits package, but the size of the institution brings both perks and red tape.

Current Employee - PAS Specialist  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - PAS Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks including discounts at various Portland businesses, a practically free bus pass, great medical insurance starting at no cost out of your pocket... and more importantly, they genuinely prioritize internal hires, so lateral as well as upward movement are anticipated, encouraged, and very common.

Cons

Can be challenging if you're a problem solver/forward thinker in a low to mid-level position. You get the sense that you have your role, and your job is to fulfill it-- "out of the box" thinking, or interest in pursuing opportunities beyond your defined position are pretty obviously blown off with a "Thanks for your feedback, I'll look into it," or a "well, that's really something that is handled more by the _____ department."

It's difficult because every manager is under another manager/department head/director/etc. in such a large institution, so it can feel like you never know who really has the power, and everyone seems to blame the tier above them. Take some personal responsibility for your decisions/changes, or better yet, use your middle-managers to communicate with the work force and help them feel like they are part of the decisions that affect them.

Beautiful place to work. Smart people. Hard to get ahead. Low pay.

Current Employee - Research  in  Marquam Hill, OR
    Current Employee - Research in Marquam Hill, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like the NW, working at OHSU is heaven. On top of a hill overlooking scenic Portland, you can't beat it! People care about their work here and love meeting new faces.

Cons

It's very difficult to get a job here none the less move up the latter. The pay for lower-mid level positions is not competitive.

Takes care if their employees, but still a bureaucracy

Former Employee - Room Service Associate  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Room Service Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work was rewarding, many of my co-workers were passionate, hard-working people. OHSU provides great benefits, designed to make it very possible to gain skills, and increase your prospects while employed. Further, the mission statement and policies have no-tolerance harassment and completely inclusive of family members and partners (before the law caught up).
     Once you have a job here, even at the bottom of the totem pole, it is very possible to work your way up, and get an education while working. It will take time.

Cons

Middle management can be condescending, or sticklers for unimportant (non performance related) details. However, in any entry level position that will be true, and the benefits and great policies overall make up for it.

Wear many hats and herd many cats

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

First, it's hard to make sweeping statements about a place that has hundreds of departments and 14K employees, but I'll try. There are many really good people working here (and a sociopath or two). Near downtown. It feels good to work in health care. I've worked in several departments and have had good managers in almost every job. I've worked on interesting problems, and have felt fairly secure - the union helps with that.

Cons

In some areas, the culture can tend toward "cover your tookus and protect your job," instead of "let's see what awesome things we can do when we work together as a team." Over time, this can give people a glazed look. Ultimately, I think that is a leadership problem, and there might be changes coming, slowly. There is no career ladder, you must make your own - the culture tends to hire outside people rather than promote internal folks. As with any academic health center, it is challenging to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Keep looking outside and emulating best practices - keep moving forward. Invest in infrastructure. Save money by tightening objectives, not by skimping on salaries and raises. Base goals and strategies on data, not on the status quo or some influential person's gut feeling. Spend money on people who want to collaborate. Hire managers who value collaboration.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!