OHSU

OHSU Reviews

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.6

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay place to work if you are not ambitious

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low intensity employer, good benefits, relatively stable

Cons

Not for high performers, poor management/leadership, very insular and antiquated ways of thinking

bring in fresh blood from outside for key leadership positions to diversify the deeply ingrained, insular perspectives.

Creative Web Development opportunities very limited

Current Employee - Web Developer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Originally I had a full-time position and left it to take an hourly temporary position. I sacrificed longer-term stability, benefits and job security for flexibility... but gained ultimately flexibility including the ability to telecommute (work from home or almost anywhere with internet access).

Cons

As a temporary hourly employee, sometimes I don't get work for months. Obviously this can be rough and requires me to get other work or be able to manage a grossly fluctuating income. Before 2014 it also meant being responsible for my own health care coverage. In terms of the work itself, I am under-utilized and unsure of how to get more work, and/or more creative work, within OHSU.

Large institution focused on health and advancement of their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good resources, free programs for employee health, positive work environment

Cons

Large place so departments don't talk to each other, redundancy, paperwork takes a long time to process sometimes

job advancement

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice are to live and work environment

Cons

difficult to commute to work, too expensive parking, no parking compensation

very low visibility for advancement for lower level job employees

Great place to work, yet limited ambition

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice. I loved my managers! It was an organized place to work.

Cons

It is difficult to move up because it is based on seniority. The price for parking was awful, but fortunately they gave a small stipend for biking.

Understand that if you see promise in someone, that you can allow them to grow. It will keep your strongest employees around longer!

Difficult place for a non-medical professional

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, education opportunities, great infrastructure

Cons

May be "innovative" on the medical side (never worked at another hospital), but from what I saw, doctors and nurses were very reluctant to adopt new technologies on the administrative side. Poor training for managers and worked for very few good ones while there. HR is a robotic nightmare who take the manager's side in most conflicts. Union-busting/degredation is a pleasurable pastime for HR/Legal departments. Executive leadership is calcified, consultant depdendent and don't seem to know what's going on below their ivory towers. This is a giant organization-quit trying to get larger. Get good at what's already there. Quit ghetto-izing central services. Enough with the constant budget-scolding and every four year staff reductions. Ditch the outside consultants and gimmicky six sigma-esque programs. Spend the millions on training front line staff and managers.

Teach all managers management. Assume they know nothing. Force them to meet one on one with employees often, if not weekly. They spend so much time in pointless meeting hashing over the same nonsense for years at a time that they don't know what's happening or are in crisis management more than day to day management. Do exit interviews.

Great scientific community, many problems integrating research and clinical staff.

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

Some of the most cutting edge medical research in the world is happening here, led by great minds in all types of fields.

Cons

There is a lot of wasted time and energy in HR/etc. departments.

My personal manager is great, but there is a hardcore one size fits all approach to staff management that makes no sense with the way the university is set up.

OHSU is an okay place to work, but there are some problems.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work going on at OHSU is exciting and there are many features that are only available because OHSU is the main institution for the Oregon National research Primate center. If you work at the ONRPC, there is plenty of free parking and the traffic is not that bad.

Cons

The pay at OHSU is only given at the NIH standard for post-doctoral fellows. Also the medical insurance coverage is very restrictive with limited options and high costs.

Post doc benefits at OHSU

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment with public safety

Cons

Worst health insurance for Postdocs

Postdocs are not slaves

A large, bureaucratic, slow-moving "enterprise" (review for IT only)

Current Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Work-life balance is great. Lots of meetings and project managers adept at Gantt chart maintenance. If you are looking for a rigid, non-challenging, conflict-free and risk-averse experience then work here. OHSU IT is not cutting-edge or creative.

Cons

If you are not management then you have to pay dues to the AFSCME union. For some this won't be a "con" but it seems unusual for IT (when I started I was hourly and had to clock in/out, many of us are now union salaried).

OHSU is able to straddle the razor of for-profit/non-profit, but there is a lot of money wasted. The right-hand often doesn't know what the left-hand is doing. It's not always clear who does (or is repsonsible for) what. Management would rather way overspend on outside vendors than take responsiblity in-house. A CYA mentality that would seem to require fewer employees, yet there are a lot if non-IT people in OHSU IT (that's the nicest way I can put it.)

There really is no entrepreneurial spirit at OHSU.

Hmmm. Take early retirement?

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo