OHSU Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
3.7

OHSU President Joseph Robertson Jr.
Joseph Robertson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits, embrace diversity among employees, adhere to fair policy guidelines (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • management is self serving and working there is like a work mill for low pay, no pay raise entire tenure (in 4 reviews)

• The location is a drawback -- no parking, and public transit isn't always ideal (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Takes care if their employees, but still a bureaucracy

Former Employee - Room Service Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Room Service Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work was rewarding, many of my co-workers were passionate, hard-working people. OHSU provides great benefits, designed to make it very possible to gain skills, and increase your prospects while employed. Further, the mission statement and policies have no-tolerance harassment and completely inclusive of family members and partners (before the law caught up).
     Once you have a job here, even at the bottom of the totem pole, it is very possible to work your way up, and get an education while working. It will take time.

Cons

Middle management can be condescending, or sticklers for unimportant (non performance related) details. However, in any entry level position that will be true, and the benefits and great policies overall make up for it.

Wear many hats and herd many cats

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

First, it's hard to make sweeping statements about a place that has hundreds of departments and 14K employees, but I'll try. There are many really good people working here (and a sociopath or two). Near downtown. It feels good to work in health care. I've worked in several departments and have had good managers in almost every job. I've worked on interesting problems, and have felt fairly secure - the union helps with that.

Cons

In some areas, the culture can tend toward "cover your tookus and protect your job," instead of "let's see what awesome things we can do when we work together as a team." Over time, this can give people a glazed look. Ultimately, I think that is a leadership problem, and there might be changes coming, slowly. There is no career ladder, you must make your own - the culture tends to hire outside people rather than promote internal folks. As with any academic health center, it is challenging to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Keep looking outside and emulating best practices - keep moving forward. Invest in infrastructure. Save money by tightening objectives, not by skimping on salaries and raises. Base goals and strategies on data, not on the status quo or some influential person's gut feeling. Spend money on people who want to collaborate. Hire managers who value collaboration.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who are active in many areas of their life. Culture is great. People have a genuine interest to get to know each other.

Cons

Pay is generally low and it is almost impossible to make a career change within the company. Note:former employee. Had to leave because I couldn't find a position within the company.

Help current employees interested in exploring other career opportunities within the company.

Great place for me at the time.

I worked at OHSU part-time

Pros

I worked part time and still had benefits. Everyone in my small group were very supportive, friendly, and helpful. Hours were flexible.

Cons

Lack of parking meant having to commute to work every day. Other than that, everything was quite positive.

Large institution focused on health and advancement of their employees

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good resources, free programs for employee health, positive work environment

Cons

Large place so departments don't talk to each other, redundancy, paperwork takes a long time to process sometimes

Great place to work, yet limited ambition

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great, people were really nice. I loved my managers! It was an organized place to work.

Cons

It is difficult to move up because it is based on seniority. The price for parking was awful, but fortunately they gave a small stipend for biking.

Understand that if you see promise in someone, that you can allow them to grow. It will keep your strongest employees around longer!

Healthcare organization that consistently pursues excellence and innovation.

Former Employee - PAS Resource Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - PAS Resource Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive management, top notch professionals, compassionate care for both patients and employees, thorough training of new hires, friendly fellow employees.

Cons

Since it is so large, there are times when certain protocol within each department is not very clear and defined.

Please continue keeping an "open door" policy and being transparent with your employees. Also, continue to hire people with both business savvy and a heart for patients--they are total assets.

If you are in a department where you're appreciated, it is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are great benefits! As a student, working in a vibrant research community and university is a huge plus. There's always an opportunity to learn something new and interesting people to network with! It's a friendly environment overall and many choose to make long term careers here.

Cons

OHSU is a massive employer and as a result it can be painfully slow to get some things accomplished. There are also some departments that have less appreciation for the employees in service oriented roles. These individuals are the face of the department and often are the people that leave a lasting impression on visitors. The crazy scheduling and poor treatment can really have a dehumanizing effect and majorly impacts morale. Be kind to the cashiers, baristas, room service, and maintenance/custodial people you encounter.

A little appreciation can go a long way! The majority of managers and departments are outstanding but there are always a few bad apples.

A not highly demanding work environment where a premium is placed on "work-life balance"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are committed and competent generally, and care about the mission of the organization.

Cons

In IT, the groups are silo'ed, money is tight, and there is by necessity a much higher value placed on keeping the lights on than on innovating.

Don't undertake initiatives unless you know you can follow through with them. Have at least a "guerrilla team" of people whose primary role is to take on pilot projects geared to bringing OHSU technology into the 22nd century.

Good company trying to make a difference

Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing an impact in the quality of care, the impact or research and the education of health care providers

Cons

Can be bureaucratic at times

OHSU Photos

Farmers Market on campus during the summer

+ Add Photo